Forums

Topic: Sony Making Super Smash Bros. Clone *(Not a Rumor Anymore!)*

Posts 101 to 120 of 294

Link245

I'm getting a PS3 soon, so I'm all up for this.

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Arkham City, MW3, Gears 3, UMV3, Battlefield 3
PS3: inFAMOUS 2, LBP 2. Rachet & Clank: All 4 One, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3
Xperia Play: Crash Bandicoot
iOS: Sonic CD, Infinity Blade, Arkham City Lockdown, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger

Simmer_E

What could that be for.....

Untitled

Globox_82: wrote:

this guy is senior level designer. Some comments from his twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/TheAuburnSky

1.Our capture station and waiting area - Parappa is a permanent resident http://twitpic.com/6a60jz [Backup]

2.The character artist sitting a row ahead of mine is modeling polygonal female boobies. Carry on...

Then posted this pic

3.Our studio fighters getting their brawl on http://twitpic.com/6au76k [Backup]

4.Racing to finish a level design doc for today's review - map layout is looking spiffy if I do say so myself.

5.Slam! Second level design pitch approved by our studio leads! Now onto Sony Santa Monica for a final green light.

6.In the middle of a skype video interview with a level design candidate from Osaka, Japan.

7.New Sony Playstation commercial vaguely foreshadowing our soon to be announced title - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HBuK3EcY6vk

8.Checking out the original art assets from a Sony IP title we're appropriating for my level - very cool seeing this environment in raw form.

9. you clown!

(THIS more or less confirms it)

And looking at his previous work there are no fighting games.
http://auburnsky.net/Game%20Port%20H...al%20Work.html

Someone save these pics in case he removes them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453368

Edited on by theblackdragon

Simmer_E

Nintendo Network ID: Simmer_E | Twitter:

Adam

What does that video have to do with anything?

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Simmer_E

Adam wrote:

What does that video have to do with anything?

Didn't you see all the different forms of money?
I'm pretty sure those blue orbs were from Little Big Planet

Simmer_E

Nintendo Network ID: Simmer_E | Twitter:

Shining-Void

Sony needs more cartoony characters to balance out the realistic ones. Because THE REAL WORLD IS BORING!

Shining-Void

Nintendo Network ID: Eternal-Cyprees

Adam

It has been awhile since I've played LBP. Neat.

Come on, friends,

Slapshot

I also think the above "To Michael" video, which features many of the big characters from Sony's PlayStation franchise, is one of the leaks for the game as well. If you take the video and frame-by-frame it, you'll find allot more than first meets the eye: NCAA football player, Portal 2 character running out of the back wall, Ratchet, Street Fighter 4 fighter, etc. This video could easily be a leak for the game, because it will most likely involve both first party and third party characters.

I know this isn't going to really help anything, but for all the "Sony is a ripoff" jargon, the reason that you see Sony and Nintendo with very similar products, is because both companies are approached by inventor/manufacturers with new ideas (e.g. augmented reality cameras, motion control wands, touch panels, etc.) and then the companies make the decisions if they want to move forward with their ideas. Regardless to what many will say, Sony and Nintendo both have similar ideas when it comes to gaming and they both have gotten involved with many of the same pitches that have been thrown at them.

Fun-Facts:

• Sony actually released the PlayStation Camera (a.k.a. EyeToy) with a game called Kinect for the PS2. The game had you using your arms and body to play the game without a controller. Doesn't some other company have something similar on the market today with the exact same name?
  • Sony's PlayStation Move was actually in development before Nintendo ever started work on the Wiimote.
  • Sony has been playing with augmented reality for over twenty years now, but the upcoming Vita's AR cars will undoubtedly be labeled a "ripoff" - even when the PSP has had augmented reality games for years before the 3DS released.

I could go on, but I've got better things to do - like write up a Vitagamr article showcasing the awesome new AR Cards for Vita - but you guys can take it for what it's worth. Nintendo takes the technology that's pitched at them and works it into current technology, so that it is affordable for family gaming, which is awesome. Sony takes the same idea that is pitched to them - just as it was to Nintendo - and works it into non-existing technology to take it to another level. Do you really think that Sony and Nintendo don't collaborate with each other on these things?

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Adam

Obviously they don't collaborate on anything.

We don't know almost anything about this game yet to call it a Smash Bros. rip-off though. Nintendo didn't invent the cross-over fighting game, and that's the main similarity so far. But as for other things, it is convenient for Sony to say they've been working on a Wii remote and AR cards forever and then release them right after Nintendo does. I'm not going to say they're lying, but I've only got their word (maybe they had patents, too, but people file patents for everything without necessarily working on them). If they're going to continually be late to the party, they can't be surprised at the skepticism.

I'm glad for their sake that they revealed Vita's ability to interact with the PS3 before Wii U's tablet was shown, haha.

And imitation is not necessarily a bad thing. There is room in the world for new ideas and for improving upon old ideas. I don't necessarily think they are improving anything upon Nintendo's ideas, but it is good for someone to make the effort.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

shingi_70

Looks like the person who leaked the game deleted his twitter account and his LinkedIN profile.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

kkslider5552000

Slapshot wrote:

I* Sony's PlayStation Move was actually in development before Nintendo ever started work on the Wiimote.

while complaining about ripoffs is lame, you act like Move was always gonna be exactly what it was released as despite being in development that long. I sincerely doubt that. It's obvious Wii's huge success influenced it quite a bit. Good for them. goes to play Okami and Shadow Complex, awesome "ripoffs"

Also, loved that commercial and this idea...doubt it will be as legendary fun as Smash Bros. but it's a great idea.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Slapshot

Early PS Move video shot in 2003:
[youtube:isHJAyCICw4]

The point that I was making is that very few of the ideas that we see in the major companies doesn't exactly come from the companies themselves. It actually comes from technology inventors that pitch their tech designs to them instead - just as the technology for the motion control wands (Wiimote, PS Move) were sold to Nintendo and Sony. The truth is, neither Sony or Nintendo created or imitated either of each other. This is the reason that all the companies always seem to have similar technology and release close to each other. Do you really think that Sony developed the PS Move in the few short years after Wii released?

Technology is pitched to all three of the companies just like developers pitch games; what they do with the technology is where we see the differences from system to system - equaling far less imitations than some allow their selves to believe.

Very few games released today release without some sort of imitation of past games. The industry influences itself and always has, which pushes things forward by competition. Otherwise we'd have average game's that never push the boundaries.

@kkslider5552000 I'm sure it's because of my deep knowledge and thousands of hours with Move and Wii, but PS Move and Wii are aimed at two different entities. People that haven't actually put the time in with Move don't understand that, but Move is aimed primarily at the hardcore shooter fanatic and Wii is aimed to the family gaming crowd. Sure Move is starting to catch some of the casual shovelware titles over the last few months, but most all of these game's are ports from Kinect titles, not from the Wii.

The game's that make Wii great: Wii Sports, Wii Resort, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, and Skyward Sword. All of which are motion control gimmickry to make the games fun and entertaining.

The game's that make Move great: Killzone 3, Resistance 3, inFAMOUS 2, etc. All of which rely on extreme precision and speed to give an edge to those who put the time in to learn the system; gaining and edge on their online competition in the process.

Sure there are game's that run the middle ground that work well on both systems: Dead Space: Extraction, Auditorium HD, No More Heroes, etc. But all these game's use motion control well, but don't exactly define it on either of the systems either.

So there's my rant for the year and probably next year for this convoluted idea that one company is better than the next, or someone is an imitator. There's no end to this argument so I don't even know why I even care or wrote any of this. It's a never ending carousel.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Adam

It was Nintendo's idea to actually use it. It was Nintendo's idea to present in the way they did and develop it the way they did. It was successful because of this. Sony saw this and decided to dig up that video they made years before and imitate Nintendo. Whether they had done some work on it long ago is irrelevant. They played it safe and put out a bigger and better version of what they'd done before, which in itself was a bigger and better version of the console before it, until they saw someone else do something successful and wanted to do something successful, too.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Bankai

I wonder why Nintendo fans don't go and get all upset because Nintendo totally stole the idea of buttons that you press to have inputs happen on the screen from someone else.

Oh right, because Nintendo never uses other people's technology.

(BTW, the end effect might be similar, but the PS Move uses an entirely different architecture to the Wii Motion. We might as well claim that DVD player manufacturers ideas from tape drives while we're at it).

Chrono_Cross

YellowChocobo wrote:

I wonder why Nintendo fans don't go and get all upset because Nintendo totally stole the idea of buttons that you press to have inputs happen on the screen from someone else.

Just because Adam is right doesn't mean you have to get all butt hurt.

U mud bro?

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Bankai

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

Just because Adam is right doesn't mean you have to get all butt hurt.

U mud bro?

Adam isn't right. Nintendo copied motion controls from, you know, real life. Games have been motioned controlled for thousands of years, predating the very existance of Nintendo. All Nintendo did was bring it to video games. Sony saw that people liked doing that, and so followed suit.

In no way whatsoever has Sony "copied" Nintendo. Not in terms of content, not in terms of technology, not in terms of idea.

theblackdragon

We don't need yet another thread spiraling down into the depths of 'who copied whom' BS; that's an argument that will never end. Please, let's discuss the SSB clone this thread is supposed to be about.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Chrono_Cross

YellowChocobo wrote:

All Nintendo did was bring it to video games. Sony saw that people liked doing that, and so followed suit.

Which can be, in other words, said they copied it from Nintendo. Nintendo brought it to video gaming first and Sony followed.

Trust me if it was the other way around Sony fanboys would say Nintendo copied them. Ooooh internet.

Just for you.

Chrono_Cross

Anyway yeah, Brawl clone... gunna be good, eh?

Just for you.

Bankai

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

All Nintendo did was bring it to video games. Sony saw that people liked doing that, and so followed suit.

Which can be, in other words, said they copied it from Nintendo. Nintendo brought it to video gaming first and Sony followed.

Trust me if it was the other way around Sony fanboys would say Nintendo copied them. Ooooh internet.

Sony fanboys would be equally wrong to do so.

Fanboys don't tend to be the most rational bunch of people, we all know that.

Anyway, as requested, I'm done. Back on topic.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.