Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Game mechanics you despise

Showing 61 to 80 of 88

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

61. Posted:

ShanaUnite wrote:

When you need to mash a button rapidly in order to beat a part of the game. Some minigames in mario party are guilty of this and i would always lose them >.<

Have you ever played the original MGS? I've replayed that game countless times over the years, and not once did I ever save Meryl. :P That stupid button mashing torture minigame was just annoying. Not to mention that you get the invisibility gear if you let her die, which is insanely fun to play around with.

Edited on by Ralizah

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

62. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

That stupid button mashing torture minigame was just annoying. Not to mention that you get the invisibility gear if you let her die, which is insanely fun to play around with.

I never found the torture scene that difficult. Peace Walker's was, if anything, the tedious one.

But, yes, stealth camo is friggen' awesome. Almost as entertaining as the later installments.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Shirma_Akayaku

63. Posted:

Escort Missions in games are the worst. They are difficult, not very rewarding, and the person you're escorting doesn't do jack sh*t.

WIFI Game List:
Super Smash Bros. 3DS
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 7
Mario Golf: World Tour + DLC
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4 (Wii U)
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors + DLC

Mii Name: Shirma

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WhiteNoise17

64. Posted:

Rosalina wrote:

Escort Missions in games are the worst. They are difficult, not very rewarding, and the person you're escorting doesn't do jack sh*t.

"Oh those guys over there are shooting at us and you want me to take cover? Nah how bout I stand out in the open ten feet away from you and scream for back-up!"

Also, "I'm gonna use common sense", said no escort AI ever.

Majora's Mask 3D is coming and you know what that means? The Razor Sword is gonna return! ... and still be useless, eh whatever its gonna be in 3D.

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5449-8255 | Nintendo Network ID: Vigilante8

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bronze

65. Posted:

Games that are only winnable through luck

When one could win even after losing most if not all of the mini games.

I was ready to throw mario party island tour out the window.

Megatron: Any last words Optimus?

Optimus: None you wanna hear megatron!

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1255-8788 | Nintendo Network ID: Bronze

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ZeroZX_Dev

66. Posted:

Bronze wrote:

Games that are only winnable through luck

When one could win even after losing most if not all of the mini games.

I was ready to throw mario party island tour out the window.

Dude, aren't most Mario Party games now just random luck?

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account
Something we always need to remember.
先輩くん、俺を 心付いてください。

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter: ZeroZXDev

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

67. Posted:

I was under the impression most Mario Party minigames were based on luck. I haven't played one since 7, but I don't recall any single game having more than just a few skill-based Mini-games...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DiscoDriver43

68. Posted:

When the screen is zoomed in on the character, giving you a poor view of what is going on, and giving you too little time to react.

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Chun Li is a cute character for an interpol officer.

I like the movie Independance Day because of Will Smith.

Titanic was a pretty sad movie.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kawaiipikachu

69. Posted:

Forced Tutorials.
Well tutorials being forced upon you, especially over some simple little detail that the instruction book could cover.
"What's an instruction manual?" you say?
It's a little booklet that comes with the disc that tells you on how to play the game.
"Well isn't that built in the Menu's?'
Well you mean that slow & awkward digital manual that takes a couple of minutes to find out what the jiggly line statues aliment means as opposed to a couple of seconds to flick to the right page in a physical manual.

Just games are over reliant on stupid & slow tutorials instead of quickly finding out in a simple little booklet.
It's what those clips are for, it's for the games instruction manual.

Kawaiipikachu

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Artwark

70. Posted:

I don't know about you, but I HATE the unlimited lives and lack of punishment mechanic because it just feels rather dull!

my 3ds friend code is 1461-7634-1658

creativity is the insane possibility.

Twitter: Art_Wark

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Epicnessofme99

71. Posted:

Not sure if this is a mechanic but terrible AI companions.

Nintendo Network ID: Epicnessofme Feel free to add me :D
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9343-5065

Nintendo Network ID: Epicnessofme

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pokefraker

72. Posted:

Useless collectibles, why put them in the game? Just a lazy way to extend game play.

I'm here to chew bubblegum and post comments, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker | Twitter: fleamarketmovie

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Drawdler

73. Posted:

Forced time limits are frustrating if there's no good story behind them and/or the game has a big focus on exploration (glares at Sonic CD)

Quicktime events.

Also, it's not a mechanic, but I despise grinding. It isn't fun to spend time on and it just doesn't feel rewarding to me.
Invisible walls and unskippable cutscenes aren't really mechanics, either, but I hate both.

I don't really hate it, but I don't exactly like the typical lives mechanic that has no punishment aside from wasting time sending you back to menus, too. I made a post about that on some other thread, but basically, if all a "Game Over" does is send me back to the title screen or world map, then what's the point? It hardly sets me back and wastes time. That kind of Game Over system should be eliminated and live counters gone for most games, except for those where a Game Over is actually punishing and lives aren't too easy to collect.

Edited on by Drawdler

#1 YOSHI HATER on Nintendo Life

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | (Currently Inactive) Backloggery | Disney Infinity Fans | Ghostroaster | Nintendo Friends

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sleepingmudkip

74. Posted:

I dont Know if this is a game mechanic but when the mini bosses are stronger then the main bosses.....It happened to me a lot in Hyrule Warriors for some reason

Deluxe WII U

Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS

The Final 2 Great Turn-Base RPGs Pokemon and Fire Emblem

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter: JohnGreenGod

AuthorMessage
Avatar

R_Champ

75. Posted:

Artwark wrote:

I don't know about you, but I HATE the unlimited lives and lack of punishment mechanic because it just feels rather dull!

It's funny because I feel the opposite. I don't like to be coddled entirely, but with my limited time to play after work I don't want to spend it all playing the SAME part over and over just because the dev didn't want to let down fans who live to troll other fanbases about how awesome they are because they're masochists...in short: I hate lack of saves/checkpoints. If you want to limit them, save it for a hard mode or something. Then everybody wins.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Artwark

76. Posted:

@R_Champ I think that's what I meant by saying lack of punishment. Like instead of not having lives to have checkpoints, you like start from that point again without any loss of lives which itself is pathetic because there's really no punishment that will motivate you to play more. This is what I felt when playing Teslagrad and Limbo.

But like you said, either put checkpoints or saves and put lack of saves in hard mode or something, or make the levels short.

Edited on by Artwark

my 3ds friend code is 1461-7634-1658

creativity is the insane possibility.

Twitter: Art_Wark

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

77. Posted:

Unentertaining cutscenes. If you put a decent focus on story, yes your game is way worse because parts of it are boring, I don't care how good the game is on a second playthrough, you still wasted time to make me not care.

...VANQUISH IS STILL OVERRATED

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

78. Posted:

  • Taking control over the player for set pieces
  • Driving sections in genres that are not driving related
  • Tutorials that cannot be skipped
  • Cutscenes that you cannot skip that you've already watched
  • JRPG traditions

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SpookyMeths

79. Posted:

Endless character drama masquerading as storytelling. Characters standing around bickering with each other, wangst, all that crap. It just seems like lazy writing and almost always fails to make me care about the characters. Less is usually more. Recently, Guardians of the Galaxy made Rocket one of the most sympathetic characters with a camera pan over his back revealing surgical scars and one drunken, angry outburst. Three lines of dialogue and a camera shot made his character more interesting than most attempts at character drama in JRPGs.

And all the usual stuff, like locked camera angles, forced tutorials, escort missions, fetch quests etc.

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Dave24

80. Posted:

Kawaiipikachu wrote:

"What's an instruction manual?" you say?

Something that is missing in games nowadays, unless it's digital? The only funny part in Borderlands 2 to me was actually manual - "the paper is not cheap. And the written word is dead anyway" (or something like that - you get the point).
I have nothing against "forced" tutorials as long as it is implemented correctly, but yeah, it can be annoying sometimes.

Drawdler wrote:

I don't really hate it, but I don't exactly like the typical lives mechanic that has no punishment aside from wasting time sending you back to menus, too. I made a post about that on some other thread, but basically, if all a "Game Over" does is send me back to the title screen or world map, then what's the point? It hardly sets me back and wastes time. That kind of Game Over system should be eliminated and live counters gone for most games, except for those where a Game Over is actually punishing and lives aren't too easy to collect.

And I hate people saying something like that, because most of the time they end up being the biggest hypocrites. There's easy solution for you, but quick question first - why are you actually using it when you hate it? I mean, when you die, just go back to main menu and start a game over. And when you exit the game and come back to it, don't hit continue either, just go for the new game. It's THAT EASY. And yet here we are, people complaing about it, and the same people using it. It's not like that anymore, when the game took 30 minutes to 1 hour max when you mastered it.

I hate it when designers mistake hand-holding with explaining what the hell is your game all about, and them bragging about how there is no hand-holding in their game, because they don't explain anything, even how to play the game or how the mechanics work. I hate that.

Also as someone mentioned, games only winnable with luck.... but in adventure games. It was common in the late 80s and 90s in adventure p'n'c games, when they added some minigame to not only waste your time, but also to screw with you, either be it some slot machine or beating high score, you name it.

And I also hate it when the game collapses on itself when the designers though it is a good idea to change the genre of game in the end. A lot of games had and still have this problem. Example - remember what an awesome stealth game Thief was back in the 90s? And the hair pulling moment in the end when from stealth game it turned to action game with time limit? Or hell, even Uncharted, it went from adventure with light puzzles right into Resident Evil towards the end and not only that, but also Gears of War. Uncharted 2 was ridiculous with it, bodycount turning into Gears of War. The only balanced one was the third, actually. Same with The Last of Us - from stealth game with decent story, to a Gears of War cover-based crapshoot. I don't know why stealth games turn into action games, it must be a fetish I don't get or something.

Edited on by Dave24

Dave24