Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 501 to 520 of 619

Cynas

@Navitroid I loved Persona 5's battle system as well but for me the break and boost system adds a great extra layer of depth. Similar to persona, rewarding you for hitting enemy weaknesses forces you to use all of the attacks in your arsenal rather than just spamming the A button during every fight. The break system takes this further by making you plan out which attacks to use to break the enemy before their turn. Then the boost system let's you customise your team by being able to focus all your attack power on a single character while others support them.

I don't think the game is as hard as some people are making it out to be, I got a game over screen 3 times throughout my time with the game. But the fights were still challenging enough where I came close to dying plenty of times. I think the difficulty is fair and on par with most JRPGs.

The 4 extra jobs definitely make your characters overpowered and I'm okay with that given they're introduced shortly before or even after you finish chapter 4. I do think there should have been more post game challenging fights, but for the the majority of the game I enjoyed it's fair difficulty.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Kimyonaakuma

I like both battle systems but I think the Press Turn system is much better (that's the SMT one ), because I think it adds more depth compared to Octopath Traveller.

I think if the enemies if Octopath Traveller adopted the Drain, Repel and Null resistances from SMT/Persona it would be much easier, because being able to attack all enemies multiple times with spells and weapons makes it too easy, even more so when you can recover SP.

Kimyonaakuma

Yorumi

@Cynas i feel like the difficulty spikes in weird ways in chapter 4. The first 3 chapters to me were challenging and allowed for good strategy. For all of chapter 4 I had the extra jobs, and was pretty over leveled. Had good gear too. The damage I was doing thanks to the extra jobs was killing them fast but the hits those bosses were getting were nothing short of incredible. Even debuffed they still posed some threat to the party making me wonder how in hell you do those at 45.

Similar with the true boss. The bosses in the gauntlet were quite easy over all then suddenly I've hardly got a hit in on the final boss before he wipes the floor with my team forcing me to do the whole gauntlet again. Out of the blue the game is just like "grind time, hahaha." I didn't do all but did most side quests and such.

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

Cynas

@Yorumi I did notice the chapter 4 bosses do a lot of damage but don't have a lot of health given the possible damage your characters can do. My first chapter 4 boss was the Scholar one and I got completely wiped out by the second turn, so I decided to go and get Sorcerer. I went back to try the boss again and it still nearly killed me but as soon as I got a couple hits in he died. After that point though my characters were pretty overpowered and destroyed everything besides the final boss.

Cynas

Yorumi

@Cynas that's largely what I experienced. I did Tressa's first and did ok, then went to H'annit's and was like WTF is up with this thing? After a game over there I managed to get a break on it and that pretty well was all I needed. Cyrus' boss did a time on me too. I did chapter 4 between my early 50's and 60's. It was just shocking to see such a sudden difficulty spike. I enjoyed the game overall though.

Yorumi

Cynas

@Kimyonaakuma Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but from the SMT games I've played (IV, Apocalypse, Devil Survivor, P3, P4, P5, PQ, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions), I don't remember Null, Repel or Drain being much of a threat. Plenty of enemies didn't have those resistances and if one did then I would just use a multi-hit spell that avoided the one or two elements that wouldn't affect them.

I don't think it would hurt the combat if this system was added to Octopath, but I don't think the game would require much more strategy if it was.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Kimyonaakuma

@Cynas They weren't very common a lot of the time but a couple of enemies use their resistances well.
I think it just would have helped if they added some kind of consequence for using attacks that the enemy has a resistance to, even if it was just for stronger battles and bosses. In SMT you have to find the basic version of an attack and then progress to find the medium, heavy and (sometimes) almighty versions, but in Octopath Traveller you unlock these very quickly and they can be boosted, making the game too easy at certain points.

I don't mind it how it is at the moment but I think a lot of the previews made it sound like a very difficult game, which it isn't if you bother to organise your team.

Kimyonaakuma

darkfenrir

One thing for sure is that the side dungeon's bosses are way harder than the story's bosses for me...

I want to defeat the Leviathan for the side quest and it just keep kicking my butt orz (Probably should just go somewhere else)

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Mountain_Man

Yorumi wrote:

@Cynas that's largely what I experienced. I did Tressa's first and did ok, then went to H'annit's and was like WTF is up with this thing? After a game over there I managed to get a break on it and that pretty well was all I needed. Cyrus' boss did a time on me too. I did chapter 4 between my early 50's and 60's. It was just shocking to see such a sudden difficulty spike. I enjoyed the game overall though.

I chose H'annit as my main and had no problem with with her boss. Ophelia was my second, and those flame sentinels or whatever they were gave me problems because I didn't have enough in my arsenal to efficiently break them before they exploded and wiped out my party in one hit. Every other Chapter 1 boss has been relatively easy, which I really don't mind, because few things kill a fun game faster than throwing an inordinately difficult boss fight in your path.

The Mountain Man

rallydefault

@Mountain_Man
I had the exact same issue with Ophelia's boss! I wasn't really thinking things through either, though, so there's that haha

My main is Alfyn, and I have mixed feelings about that choice. I love his story and personality, so I picked him because of those things.

He's definitely a heavy hitter and can have gobs of HP, but I feel like WAY fewer enemies are weak to axes than they are to swords/daggers/bows. Also, I still haven't gotten the usefulness of his Concoct ability (I'm way behind most of you in the game - I'm only starting Chapter 2 stories right now) - I'm picking up tons of concoct ingredients, but in combat it never seems like I can mix something useful for offense, only for defense. But man, nothing beats his charged-up Amputation ability when an enemy is broken. That thing hits like a bulldozer.

rallydefault

Yorumi

@rallydefault concoct has two main uses to me. The defensive stuff as you said, it's great heals, and you can throw a lot of BP around quite easily with it. The second is breaks, there's a recipe for each of the 6 elements. It never does damage but you can do 2 hits of any element you choose to single or all targets. They will debuff too but it's not reliable. So Alfyn effectively has Axes, and all 6 elements at his disposal. Then you can get one or two more weapons from subjob.

Yorumi

Mountain_Man

rallydefault wrote:

@Mountain_Man
I had the exact same issue with Ophelia's boss! I wasn't really thinking things through either, though, so there's that haha

My main is Alfyn, and I have mixed feelings about that choice. I love his story and personality, so I picked him because of those things.

He's definitely a heavy hitter and can have gobs of HP, but I feel like WAY fewer enemies are weak to axes than they are to swords/daggers/bows. Also, I still haven't gotten the usefulness of his Concoct ability (I'm way behind most of you in the game - I'm only starting Chapter 2 stories right now) - I'm picking up tons of concoct ingredients, but in combat it never seems like I can mix something useful for offense, only for defense. But man, nothing beats his charged-up Amputation ability when an enemy is broken. That thing hits like a bulldozer.

H'annit is a great main. I've always enjoyed pet class characters in RPGs, and being able to enter a battle with a menagerie of captured critters at my beck and call is awesome.

The Mountain Man

jtmnm

Warrior on Therion is a fun time. Stack evasion, use Incite, and watch as he dodges everything!

jtmnm

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902

jtmnm

Square Enix just announced OT sales topped 1,000,000 in less than a month!

Untitled

jtmnm

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902

Spoony_Tech

Yes, and well deserving!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

EvilLucario

Congrats to Octopath, that's pretty sweet. Hope that success means we get more great RPGs like this and Xenoblade.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

BMO_Advanced

The final boss actually makes you use all 8 characters, ughhh. I completely neglected 4 characters and got destroyed. Let the grind fest begin

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Yorumi

@Navitroid That annoyed me. When that happened I said screw it I'm not grinding that much and youtubed it.

Yorumi

AlternateButtons

So I've encountered my first big negative with this game. The protagonist aka the character you choose first. Why? Because little did I know that once you pick said character, you CANNOT swap them out for another until you beat their story.

WHY?! I want to keep every character around the same level! Why lock a character to me and force me to basically overlevel them by grinding the other characters? It's so dumb and throws off the balance of levels severely. I want to level up Olberic but I also want to keep either Tressa or Ophelia in the party because one gets me a crazy about of money and the other is my healer. By locking a character to my party, you force me to keep swapping between the other three and the combinations arent always favorable. I cant have Tressa and Ophelia in the same party because they dont have attacks that attack ALL enemies at once. I need to keep Cyrus in because his magic attacks are my main method of offense. If I had that fourth spot to work with, this wouldn't be an issue.

For a game that boasts about 8 main characters I simply dont understand why they put arbitrary importance of one over the other 7. It completely screws with how I go about leveling everyone. Now I'm stuck grinding Olberic so that he's on par with everyone and I can the start on Therion from there.

Want an awesome Let's Play show to watch when you're bored? Check out my new show, Alternate Buttons where we play games for your viewing pleasure! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0IbzMJDa9hZJFTGOB8Vug/feed

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5439-2641 | Nintendo Network ID: Guitardude7

meleebrawler

@AlternateButtons Uh, Ophilia has Luminescence and Tressa has Trade Tempest for magic attacks hitting everyone. Once you start unlocking secondary jobs (they're hidden in what I call "level 2 areas" where towns featuring character's chapter 2s are), you'll have more freedom in what job skills you have access to.

I'm used to having a main character in RPGs that's far stronger, in levels or otherwise, and is a fixture in your party. Stuff like Fire Emblem and Paper Mario.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic