Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 241 to 260 of 314

SKTTR

Yorumi wrote:

@Ralizah Funny enough, I didn't. I played the FFs, CC and a few others. It's possible I didn't notice it as much then because of the hype. I havn't really gone back and played many of those since. I played the first octopath demo for like 90 minutes and it was nothing but text, hadn't gotten to a point that wasn't basically just an extended cutscene.

Now sure people are going to say in comparison to the whole game that's hardly anything. I agree. It's just it gets old to me when you can sit down to an entire session and not actually play the game. They don't even need this much text anyway. I'm not suggesting it needs to be this short but a movie can deliver a compelling story in 2 hours, why do jrpgs need 20+ of cutscenes?

I don't hate narrative or cutscenes entirely. I just kind of feels like it's becoming the new fetch quest. Useless padding to extend the run time of a game. Back to the ps1 jrpgs, yeah they had text but the entire game was in the 35 hour mark for the story. Octopath is already double that. They need to use better methods of delivering narrative to the player.

In my opinion, if the story is written well enough and presented good enough, any amount of text is tolerable and even welcomed in a story-driven RPG. However, I think Octopath has not the most well-written story from what I've seen so far (demo) but still a pretty interesting one (heavily depending on your tastes in a characters backstory and origins).

Anyway, if you don't have the time, patience or excitement to "read yourself" into a new game, then you should take a pause from the gerne and look for something different. Sorry to be the one to tell you, but there's more than a dozen great action-RPGs on the system that don't expect you to read that much story and dialogue.

I'm sure Octopath Traveler opens up to have you enganged in battles, puzzles, and exploring as well, but you have to get through the intro and prologue chapters to get there. I ranted a lot about similar games, like Xenoblade 2 etc., but in the end the games were great as they rewarded patience and keeping at them. Yes, some games have a slow start and sometimes we have different expectations, and sometimes we are just in the mood for something else, so I'd like to see you ranting again when you're 90 hours into the game and everything is completely unfolded rather than 90 minutes into one of the main characters' story-heavy intro.

I haven't tried all characters but from the ones I tried, all their intros were certainly not longer than 15 minutes. Who is the 90 minute intro character you are talking about?

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Ryu_Niiyama

Welp canceled Amazon so I can snag this at BB asap.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Kimyonaakuma

I played every characters introduction and I didn't find the length or amount of text an issue, but I've never played a Final Fantasy game before so it could be more text heavy compared to the RPGs like that. For some reason most people I speak to count FF as the standard for JRPGs...

I usually write WAAAAY TOO MUCH!
...so I'll apologise now in advance.

maelis

Can someone confirm that the japanese language is available on europeans cartridge please?
i think it should be inscribed on the back of the box.

thank you

maelis

Yorumi

SKTTR wrote:

Anyway, if you don't have the time, patience or excitement to "read yourself" into a new game, then you should take a pause from the gerne and look for something different. Sorry to be the one to tell you, but there's more than a dozen great action-RPGs on the system that don't expect you to read that much story and dialogue.

Patients isn't exactly the right word. I read books all the time so it's not a problem with text or dialog itself. It's basically a complaint that it seems like a lot of these games are writing more to extend the run time of the game without having a good story reason for these things. That was why I was making reference earlier to the lengths of books and movies.

You're generally supposed to distill a story down to it's essential elements. Don't say in two words what you can say in one and all that. The worst offenders in recent memory(and granted I havn't played every rpg to release) are XC2, pokemon sun/moon, and Fantasy Life. Really it's all about balance to me. I'm not saying I want a game with no story or you know like a mario story. But at the same time I feel like 80-100 hours is asking a bit much.

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

Maxz

Well, "patients" definitely isn't the right word.

(sorry)

@maelis Yeah, the Nintendo UK website confirms Japanese as a supported language for the game. It might only take effect if your system language is also Japanese, but it should be there. The demo confirms that you'll also be able to have Japanese audio with English text if you wish.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly

kkslider5552000

I actually do agree that JRPGs nowadays can be needlessly long, especially with dialogue. My favorite example is Ni No Kuni, which is filled with 5-10 minute conversations that are 80-90% redundant and boring.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Seacliff

I think modern JRPG writers think more dialogue = more depth. So they push to make sure every character has an opinion regarding something and hope that's enough to flesh out their characters.

Valkyria Revolution was this at it's worst, where the most original opinion anyone had was 'war is bad'.

Seacliff

Yorumi

Maxz wrote:

Well, "patients" definitely isn't the right word.

Yep, I type can good.

Yorumi

Nintendo Network ID: yorumi

magnumc500

I want to finish Wolfenstein New Order on XBOX and Bayonetta 1 on switch. I also heard you can start the demo for Octo and pass it to the game. Anything worth doing it for or can I just start the cartridge?

magnumc500

Switch Friend Code: SW-6617-2568-6974 | 3DS Friend Code: 0576-7126-5273 | Nintendo Network ID: magnumc500

darkfenrir

@magnumc500 Not really, it's just 3 hours headstart of the game, just start at the cartridge unless you are super impatient.

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Kimyonaakuma

@magnumc500 At this point I would iust start the full game. I played the demo but felt rushed due to the time limit, might as well start with the full version

Kimyonaakuma

@darkfenrir Wow it looks even more amazing...

I preordered on the eShop but I don't know if I should start it at midnight or wake up early

darkfenrir

@Kimyonaakuma I would say wake up early, that way you won't pressure yourself to not have fun because you need to sleep soon XD

darkfenrir

Tibob

I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen a review yet...

Tibob

Kimyonaakuma

@darkfenrir That's a good idea!

@Tibob I doubt most reviewers have finished the game, they're probably just trying to get a general sense of the game and write something before it comes out.

darkfenrir

I think today or tomorrow we'll see reviews, since right now there's probably some sort of review's embargo going on by SE.

darkfenrir

Grumblevolcano

@Kimyonaakuma Wake up early, not only can your first session last longer but you can't guarantee it'll be available at midnight. I preordered the Mega Man Legacy collections and they weren't playable until like the afternoon of launch day.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kimyonaakuma

@Grumblevolcano Thanks for letting me know, I just assumed that it would be available instantly

I guess I'll be going to sleep early then...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic