Forums

Topic: What Games Do We Want?

Posts 141 to 160 of 166

NaviAndMii

faint wrote:

@mav-i-am remember rare sold themselves to Microsoft while Nintendo still had a majority stock share. I doubt they wanted that.

Nobody wanted that! ...from what I remember, I don't think Nintendo ever had a majority share of Rare - the Stamper brothers (founders) maintained a controlling stake of the company until the $350m-ish sale to Microsoft - but much of the creative talent decided against following the money and instead formed their own company (Free Radical Design) ...fast-forward to today: Free Radical, despite some success with TimeSplitters, are no more - another ex-Rare start-up, Playtonic Games, don't look they're going to hit they're going to hit the heights looking at the luke-warm reviews Yooka-Laylee has been getting - and Microsoft's return on their investment has been...a collection of polished-up, but old, N64 games - and Viva Piñata? :/ ...the whole thing has been a bit of a disaster from a gaming perspective (although I'm sure the Stamper brothers were smiling all the way to the bank!)

Microsoft bought a name - but failed to secure the talent (eg. David "Dr." Doak, the creative mastermind behind GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, didn't stay with Rare after Microsoft's acquisition) ..that's like buying Kojima Productions, but not securing Hideo Kojima! ...pointless!

People should be careful what they wish for when they say 'company x' should purchase 'company y' - doesn't always end well!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

StuTwo

NaviAndMii wrote:

Microsoft's return on their investment has been - Viva Piñata?

And Grabbed by The Ghoulies. Don't forget Grabbed by the Ghoulies! Or It's Mr Pants!

I think for Microsoft at least part of the appeal of grabbing Rare was that it sabotaged the GameCube line up. Maybe not the launch line up but there were a few games being developed at Rare that would have been important exclusives for the GameCube in years 2 and 3. Those became games that either never made it out at all or eventually limped out onto the 360 long after the embers had burnt low.

To be fair - Rare's games in the later N64 era did feel a bit stale and they probably couldn't have carried on being so prolific as production costs rose with the newer consoles (whether under Nintendo's ownership or Microsoft's).

Anyway - to the point - buying a mid sized independent developer/publisher like Capcom doesn't actually get you very much. You'd get a lot of legacy IPs like MegaMan and Resident Evil but Capcom as it stands only has the development resources to make a handful of new AAA games a year. It wouldn't be worth enough to justify the risk.

You might swing Resident Evil 8 to the Switch and you might get a MegaMan revival (that could sell well on Switch but wouldn't sell to Switch to the non-converted) but there are much easier and cheaper ways to get those games on your console if you really want them. Capcom already releases its biggest game series (Monster Hunter) exclusively on 3DS anyway.

Buying one of the big 3 Western publishers might be more interesting but the business case would never stack up - their games have vast budgets and that only works when they're releasing on all of the formats where they can reasonably sell high quantities.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

NaviAndMii

@StuTwo Oh absolutely! ...I kind of like the way Nintendo approached their relationship with Rare - they invested in a smaller company, gave them a big IP to work on (Donkey Kong), and helped take the company on to a new level - and they ended up with a more-than-decent return on their investment! ..those are the kind of deals I'd prefer to see Nintendo doing ..maybe with a company like Fast RMX's Shin'en Multimedia? Nintendo haven't made an F-Zero game in an age - they could invest in Shin'en, give them F-Zero to work on (which I'm sure would sell more copies than Fast RMX - at a higher, AAA price point) and help take the brand to a new level? ..lower risk and potentially bigger rewards

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Canadian_Ronin

mav-i-am wrote:

Canadian_Ronin wrote:

mav-i-am wrote:

I would love to see Nintendo buy a big chunk of Capcom if I am honest.

In fantasy land, yes.

why fantasy land? Nintendo have the money in the bank so why not use some of it??

Because 1) Flat out buying Capcom isn't a realistic situation 2) Even if they did/could buy Capcom, they couldn't/wouldn't put a dozen games into development at the same time.

However an agreement to co-finance and co-develop 2 or 3 games, with possible sequels based on sales/profits, thats a more realistic situation.

Canadian_Ronin

Canadian_Ronin

same with Konami and Castlevania. Konami has no real interest in making console games not called Metal Gear right now (from what I know), but they MIGHT be willing to split profits on a game that Nintendo develops and publishes.

Thats why I think Mega Man, Ghosts'n'Goblins and Breath of Fire would be good options for Nintendo to approach Capcom about - they are franchise's strongly connected to Nintendo that Capcom doesn't appear to have much interest in anymore.

Canadian_Ronin

DeathByStarfish

Personally, i think some Wii U games deserves a second chance on the Switch so for me i would love to see Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ported or maybe a sequel to that game, Super Mario Maker, Bayonetta port or Bayo 3, Wonderful 101/sequel, Zombi 2 . And of course Metroid, Kirby, and another Yoshi game. I MAY even give a second look to Star Fox Zero if they ported it and fixed some of the issues i heard about.

DeathByStarfish

Nintendo Network ID: xxsirdeadlyxx | Twitter:

Canadian_Ronin

Sir_Deadly wrote:

Personally, i think some Wii U games deserves a second chance on the Switch so for me i would love to see Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ported or maybe a sequel to that game, Super Mario Maker, Bayonetta port or Bayo 3, Wonderful 101/sequel, Zombi 2 . And of course Metroid, Kirby, and another Yoshi game. I MAY even give a second look to Star Fox Zero if they ported it and fixed some of the issues i heard about.

I'd really like to see a new Star Fox game on Switch, but I think a port of Star Fox Zero would be a mistake. The biggest problem with Zero was that it was basically a rehash of the original Star Fox, which is a classic but a dated classic. Star Fox needs to updated into a modern style game for the franchise to take off and thrive.

Canadian_Ronin

Dokkaebi

@faint Honestly I haven't looked at, or thought about publishers in a long time. If the game looks good I'll buy it and play it whether it be console or handheld.

Dokkaebi

komatsu

Eternal Sonata like game or Ni no Kuni like game would be cool with me.

komatsu

SKTTR

Openworld 3D-Metroid
Openworld Pikmin
MMO Zelda (doesn't matter to me if 2D SNES style or 3D BotW style)
New Animal Crossing (skipping Wii U was a horrible idea!!!)
Online F-Zero with 32 racers
Art Style Collection

That along with the already announced titles (Mario, Xeno2, Disgaea, Skyrim, Dragon Quest, Shin Megami, Fire Emblem, Secret of Mana Collection, Escapists 2, Stardew Valley, etc., etc., etc.) and some suprises for eShop and Virtual Console and I'm happy.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Octane

@SKTTR I'm not surprised if Pikmin and Metroid are going to be open world now that Nintendo discovered those games make the headlines.

Octane

mav-i-am

Sir_Deadly wrote:

Sequels yes, ports no! because lots of Nintendo fans have the WiiU and I have no wish to double dip on most things.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

Canadian_Ronin

SKTTR wrote:

Openworld 3D-Metroid

My take on where they should take Metroid, and what elements of Breath of the Wild should be looked at for Metroid.

Open the game with Samus on a military base orbitting a planet or moon, turning a space pirate she captured in for the bounty. The base is attacked and destroyed by pirates trying to free their leader. Samus finds herself on the planet/moon, alone and without her armor. The player now has the entire planet to explore as they see fit. Wild-life as well as more organized enemies (pirates and hostile aliens) to fight or avoid. For the first 1/3 of the game Samus is only in her Zero Suit and the player has to collect guns and/or ammo & more primitive weapons from enemies - like in BotW, ammo runs out and melee weapons break. Evenutally she starts to piece together her armor. At first she gets lighter/less advanced sets (start off with something like the Fusion armor and go from there). The arm canon could/would be for Samus what the Master Sword is for Link, once she gets it she has a reliable weapon.Eventually you start moving into bases the pirates have set up and other enviroments.

Like Link Samus would have to scavenge materials (weapons, food and materials to make ammo and armor parts). Instead of just picking up rockets and energy tanks Samus has to build her equipment and medicine from things she finds.

You don't have to 100% BotW to beat it, that its possible to beat the game without finding out the story behind Link's awakening, you don't need the master sword and you can go straight to the end boss once you start the game. I would do something similar with Metroid. Have the bad guys wanting to mine or collect something from the moon that will power a new weapon or something (why they attack the military base), and Samus has the potential to discover this during the course of the game, but the game ends when Samus finds her ship and escapes the planet. So while the player can discover the larger mining/collecting plot and stop it (along with other, smaller objectives - possibly saving other survivors, maybe saving less advanced natives etc...) its possible to beat the game without discovering it or even skipping it.

Canadian_Ronin

Octane

Because it kinda worked for Zelda, doesn't mean every franchise should be the same. I wouldn't mind an open world Metroid game, but please, leave breakable weapons out of it. I don't want it to be Zelda: Metroid Edition.

Octane

DeathByStarfish

@mav-i-am yes but alot of people didnt buy a wii u but probably​ bought a switch and missed out. You dont have to buy them if u dont need them. This list is simply for people who missed out on wii u and this is also including more content on the game I mentioned.

Edited on by DeathByStarfish

DeathByStarfish

Nintendo Network ID: xxsirdeadlyxx | Twitter:

TuVictus

I dunno if I would want an open World Metroid in the same vein as Zelda. I think Samus herself shouldn't be relegated to a survival game. I like the Open World idea for the franchise, though.

TuVictus

DefHalan

I don't think Open World works for Metroid. The story telling would suffer. The importance of upgrades would be diminished. I think sandbox worlds would work better. A couple different worlds you can visit and those world as open to a degree, but require certain upgrades found on different worlds to get to certain locations. (Didn't MP3 kinda have that to a degree?)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Nintendo_Ninja

A new Animal Crossing and a new advance wars. Could you imagine a 3DS Advance Wars with updates like the new Fire Emblem games?

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Bolt_Strike

I think Metroid might benefit more from a Mega Man approach where you can complete the game in whatever order you want if you're skilled enough but certain missions become easier with certain powerups. Keep it room based, but give players options on how to progress if they're skilled enough to go that way without the intended powerup. For instance, maybe in the second world they intend for you to use the Speed Booster to progress but if you can Wall Jump you can go up and around the Speed Boost blocks and take on the second world first if you want, and so on. Essentially, make sequence breaking a part of the gameplay instead of just an unintended exploit discovered by the fans. This would probably the best approach to making Metroid more open, it'd be semi-open world and provide players with the freedom of progression they want out of open world but in a way that fits with Metroid's traditional design.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.