Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,521 to 5,540 of 70,089

DefHalan

Operative wrote:

For what is supposed to be a home console most of that video was shown specifically to not be at home. The messaging is definitely not "mainly home console" at the moment.

If anything the messaging is mostly pointing to a portable console.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

TuVictus

@DefHalan pretty much. I'd say they should focus on what the dock does, if anything, in the next update. Instead of telling us we can play splitscreen on an extremely tiny screen with extremely tiny controllers randomly on a car trip.

TuVictus

NinChocolate

So, after the reveal we have some clinging tightly to their PS4 controllers, some holding close their 3DS and others still on the train waiting for the preorders. Maybe a bit of a Wii U reveal situation but I think this has the potential to recover from a stall in sales after launch, the concept is much stronger, the hardware slicker than the Wii U was. I think the AMD fanboys will come back around lol, and 3DS owners will find this a natural progression of handheld gaming in time, where pocketability can be compromised in favor of larger portable devices that allow for shared experiences

NinChocolate

upsidedownjim

Any idea how the switch (hah!) to Nvidia will affect backwards compatibility (via digital download) for GCN, Wii and Wii U games? I assume earlier systems won't be too difficult to emulate.

I'm wondering if getting N.E.R.D to develop an emulator that could run Wii games from digital was in part to have Wii games on the Nintendo Switch virtual console. Since Zelda BOTW is on both Wii U and NX, could running other Wii U games be easy to do on Switch? GCN would be a question mark since those games aren't on Wii U VC and the controller may be too different.

Probably too early to tell but maybe there is a tech-orientated person who might know how the change to Nvidia affects backwards compatibility.

upsidedownjim

Luffymcduck

I liked the reveal video and I´m really excited about this new system. I hope we´ll get more information soon. Propably next week... can´t come soon enough.

It would be great if David Wise made soundtracks to all future Nintendo games.

Octane

@upsidedownjim It doesn't change anything. Whether it was going to be Nvidia or AMD, it was always going to have an ARM architecture if it had a portable aspect. Any Nintendo home console games need to be ported over to NS or emulated. The first option is expensive, the last is a bit trickier. The NS will be able to emulate everything up to N64, since the Wii U was also capable of doing that. I'm pretty sure that emulating GameCube games shouldn't be too much of an issue, but that depends on the precise specs of the system. If GameCube is possible, then there's a good chance that it can also run Wii games through emulation. The one thing I'm sure of is that it won't be able to emulate Wii U games. Those need to be ported over. That's a process that takes time, money and resources, so don't expect the entire Wii U library to be playable on NS. In short, the older the system is, the more likely the NS will be able to emulate the software.

Octane

TuVictus

The triggers in the little small remotes look promising. Unless they're not triggers and are the little lock things you press to slide the parts out.

Please have proper triggers. Wonder when we can pre order

TuVictus

ianl579

I honestly don't understand why it's being marketed as a home console except for that the 3DS is doing better than the Wii U. It's not "a home console first and foremost", it's a portable home console. That's the gimmick.

Edited on by ianl579

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

TuVictus

Funny how suddenly it's not a "3rd pillar". Haha

TuVictus

Moshugan

How do you feel about the graphics? (or did you already talk about it?)
It was a bit bland to see so many Wii U games and they looked very much like they did on Wii U.
The graphics seem to be on par or slightly above the Wii U. It doesn't surprise me considering it's portable, and Nintendo clearly aren't trying to be a replacement for PS4/XOne, so it might not even be a problem.

What I'm more worried about is the performance in mobile mode...
The other footage looked great, but the BotW footage looked really low framerate. I sure hope it's not representative of the final game! (also, I'm a bit disappointed because I was so pumped to see a graphically enhanced version of BotW)

Ah, can't wait for actual gameplay footage and hand-on previews...

BLPs wrote:

@Inkling Man, our middleware goes right on there. We just need to fund it bro. Its really happening.

Congratulations! Man, I'm so happy if you're able to make the game you want! :3

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

NinChocolate

@LegendOfPokemon it's Nintendo's marketing strategy. In this case it's the pitch of redefining an existing product and market. Nintendo's line here is that any console that connects to the TV (that was the first segment of the trailer, very traditional setup) should now also be able to go portable in an instant via transformation of that console. You're right, that's not the standard definition, but that's Nintendo's spin on the concept in order to look new and improved and sell boxes that connect to the TV via HDMI

NinChocolate

ianl579

I like the Switch but I'd have to say 90% of the games I own on the Wii U are also available on other consoles. (Wii backwards compatibility, eshop Virtual Console, 3DS and Switch ports, a few multiplatform games...) I don't regret my purchase, as I love the games I own on the system, but the Wii U is a perfectly skippable system for any Nintendo fan.

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

TOUGHDUDE94

Nintendo Switch
The launch line up
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Just Dance 2017
Super Mario(Switch)
Price
199.99-299.99
199.99 bundle
Switch Home dock
Switch console
and Joy con controller
Power cable(console and home dock)
HDMI Cable

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

NinChocolate

@Moshugan if there's any first party games that reliably play at a high standard on Nintendo's hardware it's Mario and Zelda. I don't think those games should be worried over yet

NinChocolate

ianl579

@andrew20 You sure about the price? Do you have a source? I also though there would be 4 launch games, not 3. (This is exactly what I want to hear, I just also want to know that it's true)

ianl579

Not surprised; there is amiibo support for half of the games we saw in the trailer. Also, does this mean that we can't use amiibo on the go?

Faruko

According to GamerNexus (A very PC centric page) that Nintendo Switch uses Pascal SoC

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

GrailUK

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this...but I didn't see any touch screen nonsense going on. Is this touchscreen?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

erv

Could be lacking touch because it's cheaper?

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Moshugan

@GrailUK Strongly rumored to be capacitive touchscreen, but no official word on it. Also, the Joy-Cons are supposed to have motion controls, but no official word on that either.

The Switch absolutely needs to have a touch screen, because a tablet without any means to interact it without an external peripherals would be nibelsnarfing stupid!

Edited on by Moshugan

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic