Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,941 to 35,960 of 69,997

link3710

@WebHead Nah, that basically sums it up pretty well.

@nintendobynature There are 4 ways to unlock characters in normal play I'm aware of:
1. Unlocking the character in World of Light automatically gives you them in normal play.
2. Every 10 smash or spirit battles gives you a random Challenger Approaching fight to unlock a character
3. Playing at least 10 minutes of World of Light gives you a random Challenger Approaching fight as well
4. Playing through Classic unlocks a Challenger Approaching Fight based on who you have unlocked and who you played as.

link3710

SuperJoon

@WebHead Yup, agree. There is a lot that needs updating and changing when it comes to Switches online. I've got a family membership that I've split with my wife and friend, and I don't really play online on Switch, I have it for the convenience that if I wanted to play online I can.

The friend I share with, we can't party up on the Switch, send messages and I think that's what limits my times on most games on Switch, mainly because I can go on my PS4 and party up with him there and play Battlefield, Diablo, Call of Duty amongst others.

Nintendo really do need to look at this side of things, yes there main thing is family and friends sat together playing in the same room, but what about the friends that can be made out in the world, in other countries or other areas of your country?

A lot of my friends I've met are through gaming, because of certain mental capacities that I have, I struggle out in the real world interacting with people face to face so being able to chat and meet people in the gaming world has kind of helped me keep interactions going with people.

Nintendo really does need to get with the times and sort this side of things out. They can keep to there core beliefs while adding to the features. It can still be about sitting with friends and family on the couch, but also theres the option of speaking to people online as well.

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

Therad

link3710 wrote:

@WebHead Nah, that basically sums it up pretty well.

@nintendobynature There are 4 ways to unlock characters in normal play I'm aware of:
1. Unlocking the character in World of Light automatically gives you them in normal play.
2. Every 10 smash or spirit battles gives you a random Challenger Approaching fight to unlock a character
3. Playing at least 10 minutes of World of Light gives you a random Challenger Approaching fight as well
4. Playing through Classic unlocks a Challenger Approaching Fight based on who you have unlocked and who you played as.

The only problem with Challenger approaching is that when the daughters favorite character comes up and she doesn't take it down...

Therad

link3710

@Therad They get added to that door under games and more so you can fight them again.

link3710

Therad

link3710 wrote:

@Therad They get added to that door under games and more so you can fight them again.

Nice, didn't know that.

Therad

WebHead

@SuperJoon the problem is they do not care because they are against online.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Grumblevolcano

They would've been better off just keeping the online free while letting retro games and the option to buy special controllers be its own subscription service like Xbox Game Pass.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SuperJoon

@WebHead Yup, exactly and that's what needs to change. They need to realise that there is more to the world than couch play.

Playing online with friends between houses is the most prefered play these days. Yes, playing with family and friends is still as important, but to most gamers, playing online is better.

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

Therad

Grumblevolcano wrote:

They would've been better off just keeping the online free while letting retro games and the option to buy special controllers be its own subscription service like Xbox Game Pass.

But less people would subscribe then... The whole point is bundling different services together so they can coherce people to pay. It is a bad practice whichever way you look at it.

Therad

WebHead

@Therad exactly. The retro games are what you are really paying for. Nintendo is locking online MP with it to force people to subscribe. Which is scummy imo and part of why I refuse to pay for the service

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

@Therad The vast majority of Switch Online complaints though are to do with the retro side of things (no SNES, N64, GC, etc.). Not that the online services are outdated by 2005 standards.

The complaints at least make it seem like ditching the paid online side of the subscription and having a better selection of games would lead to a more successful subscription.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

HobbitGamer

@WebHead Yeah, it’s almost like they think competitors charge for multi, too.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

WebHead

@JackEatsSparrows they do too but their are loads more benefits such as steeper discounts, free games, etc. PS3, Vita and Wii U had better online than switch for free.

WebHead

GrailUK

@WebHead Sony and Microsoft both wish they had Nintendo's attachment rate. Why would you charge folk $60 a year for all your content, when most spend way over that in a year. Switch software sales are nuts. You would literally have to be stupid to offer a subscription service lol. They basically have given themselves the same revenue stream MS and Sony gave themselves with which they built up their online. Granted Nintendo are behind, but it would be foolish to think they aren't going to invest in infrastructure. So, we are paying for online (in line with everyone else) without having to pay extra for some rotated free games. NES seems a nice balance as most folk are happy to just have access to them without paying for them. Maybe SNES will be next. Will be interesting to see how sustainable Microsft's game pass is if they take first place next gen with so many wanting a piece of the pie.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

WebHead

@GrailUK well still if Nintendo refuse to take online seriously I refuse to pay for their online service. Plain and simple.

WebHead

GrailUK

@WebHead It's ok to not be an early adopter

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

HobbitGamer

@WebHead You must have had a different experience than I. When PS3 came out and the multiplayer was free, it was trash and PSN was hit with huge chunks of downtime. There was more "service maintenance" than the DS has had stability updates. That's not even including the massive data breach fiasco. Then everyone got mad when PSN became a paid service, shouting the same things people are now about Switch "It used to be free; It's free on PC; Microsoft has party chat and PSN doesn't but wants money".
Free games and discounts weren't even a thing till late in XBL/PSN life cycles, either. They didn't just show up. Having been an XBL subscriber for 9 years, I can say from personal experience that it's been a loooong road to the amazing feature set it is now. And you get what you pay for, XBL/PSN offer more and cost more. The few times I played Smash 4 on WiiU this year always had lag and the shop took forever. WiiU currently has horrid online.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

WebHead

@JackEatsSparrows they at leas thad basic features. But fine have fun getting ripped off.

WebHead

TuVictus

I really don't think Nintendo is gonna "invest in the infrastructure". Everything is going to remain P2P (like the other 2, idk why people think Nintendo would be the first to actually use the sub money to improve their online capabilities) and I would honestly be surprised if they updated it to include anything as basic as messaging. I would rather have paid for the Wii U's online, at least miiverse was a surprisingly fun batch of content. Best we can hope for is they add in more than NES games, but with the stupid rate they release old content at, it'll be a while before the service gets anything worthwhile, "free" game wise.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

HobbitGamer

@WebHead Don't take it harsh, I'm just sharing my experience with the other products. It's not a cult, you don't have to buy anything you don't see value in.
I don't feel I'm getting ripped with NSO, though. It's less than half a retail game, good for the year, and I've got some NES games too. I'm thankful it's cheap for what it is, though. Now the onus is gonna be on Nintendo once all the yearly subs come due next September

#MudStrongs

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic