Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,961 to 35,980 of 69,981

darkfenrir

Actually if you manage to wrangle 7 randoms / friends for it, you can pay as little as $4-5 / year which is... still quite a chump change even over here.

darkfenrir

Grumblevolcano

If I had to rank the online services per platform, I'd go with (best to worst):

• XB1 (XBL)
  • 360 (XBL)
  • Switch (Before Nintendo Switch Online)
  • Wii U (Nintendo Network)
  • 3DS (Nintendo Network)
  • PS4 (PSN)
  • Switch (Nintendo Switch Online)
  • Xbox (XBL)
  • PS3 (PSN)
  • PS2
  • Wii (Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection)
  • DS (Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection)

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

3dg3d3m0n

For 20 quid a year, I really don't care if it changes at all, Id gladly pay that to play online, absolutely anything else is a bonus...
Really don't understand why the big fuss, I spend more on coffee each week...
Not dissing anyone, but after spending an hour catching up on here and reading all the angst over what direction the online service will go, chill and think how little 20 quid lasts nowadays, a whole year of online gaming seems good value to me...

3dg3d3m0n

JaxonH

The cloud saves are worth the buy in to me. Obviously access to playing games online matters too, although I really don’t use online unless I’m playing Monster Hunter or the occasional Salmon Run in Splatoon 2. Played some Diablo 3 online too. And Dark Souls.

It is what it is. It’s a deficient service that really needs a messaging system. But I don’t think it’s the end of the world either like some people make it out to be. This horrible rip off that, oh my gosh it’s just SOOO bad... no. It’s not. Inasmuch that we’re paying for online, yes it’s a rip off, the same as it is on Sony and Microsoft. I don’t care how many “free rentals” they hand out. Old games that you can pick up for two dollars that you probably played five years ago anyways... I don’t even waste my hard drive space with those. At the end of the day you’re paying to play online. Everything else is a ruse to make you forget that fact. That’s why I don’t subscribe on other systems because I’m not going to pay 60 freaking dollars for it. I wouldn’t pay it on Nintendo either. The only reason I do is because it’s $20 and I really want those cloud saves, and occasionally use the online.

So yeah. Is it deficient? Yes. Does it annoy me with its limited feature set? Yes. Is it some horrible rip off that’s the worst thing in the world? No. Not everything has to be an extreme

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Therad

The problem is and always be that you are paying for a service that will always be worse than the free alternative.

If you have a bigger pool of people, matchmaking and finding hosts with better connections are easier. This translates to faster matchmaking as well as finding players at the right level for you. It is just simple math.

Therad

IceClimbers

How much will people riot if they add Game Boy games to the service next year rather than SNES?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers It would probably turn into a rant about how bad Pokemon Gen 8 is

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Xenoblade 2 Torna really is like a 4th Xenoblade game.

I had heard people say that but I didn’t realize just how big this “expansion” really is. It’s bigger than some $60 games I’ve bought and played. And I know that reusing the Gormott Titan helps with that, but it’s kind of like how Fire Emblem Fates Birthright and Conquest were each full games, though they shared half of their assets and levels. Torna does share some assets with the base game, true, but they’ve rearranged it to make it feel fresh.

It just feels absolutely massive for a $20 expansion. I feel like I’m playing a full $60 Xenoblade game. And I know it’s way shorter and all but I’ve already put in like 20 freaking hours. I imagine I’ll be at 50 hours before I complete it. So sure, it’s a third of the length of a normal Xenoblade game, but compared to most games that’s the length of a full game

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Eh. The "free" games from Sony and Microsoft are often extremely high-quality, and subbing to those services is a great way to quickly develop a library for those systems. With regard to Switch... even if those "old games" were only worth $2 (I happily paid $5 for VC downloads of many of them on 3DS and don't regret the decision one bit), if you can find ten of them worth playing in a year, you've effectively gotten your money's worth from the subscription. And that's assuming you paid full price and didn't go in with someone else.

Of course, you don't "own" any of those games, but you don't technically "own" the digital games you buy, either.

Also, where'd you find Torna for $20? As far as I know, it's $29.99 for the season pass and $39.99 for the separate physical cart.

But yeah, it's an amazing campaign. A true "expansion," like we used to get for PC games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haruki_NLI

WebHead wrote:

@JackEatsSparrows they do too but their are loads more benefits such as steeper discounts, free games, etc. PS3, Vita and Wii U had better online than switch for free.

I dunno. Im having nearly all matches in Smash be lag free. Cant be worse than Wii U when it freakjng runs properly

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Sometimes you get a high quality game. Many months it’s average stuff. And it’s almost always old stuff. It’s like Nintendo‘s rewards with 3DS and Wii U games. Sure, sometimes they are high-quality games... that 99% of people have already played. So it’s nothing more than a ruse to make it seem like you’re getting more value than you really are.

If it’s a game worth playing I guarantee you I’ve likely already purchased it. And even if I haven’t, if it’s worth playing I would make a point to purchase it so I could own it and play it whenever I want. You do own your digital games. You’re not going to wake up one morning and see them disappear because you stopped paying a recurring fee. The rental games will and do disappear if you don’t pay a recurring fee... forever.

If you don’t buy very many games, and you don’t care about actually owning them, and you look at games as something you “consume” like media, then maybe the rental games offer value to a person like that. But to someone like me who buys what I want when I want it, i’m already going to own anything of worthwhile value. And even if I don’t, if it’s good enough that I want to play it, then I’m going to want to own it anyways in which case I want to purchase it so I do own forever. The switch games are a little different because you can’t buy them separately, unlike other systems where you can buy them separately and they released a while back, and you’ve probably already played them anyways. Once in a while they throw you a bone but I don’t even waste my hard drive space with rentals. If it’s good enough but I want to devote precious time to playing it then I want it on my hard drive permanently, so that I’m not forced to play it within a time constraint as dictated by a recurring fee.

I don’t know if the expansion is $20. Maybe it’s 30. I just remember the season pass was 30 so I assume the Torna alone was less than that. But I don’t know for sure because I bought the entire expansion all in one purchase. Physical doesn’t matter because prices are increased for physical

Edited on by JaxonH

NintendoByNature

@link3710 thanks my man. I've also noticed when you back out of world of light a new challenger approaches. Not sure if that's every time or not though. I'm going to see if it happens each time or if you have to do x amount of matches and then back out.

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@Therad or even worse... when YOUR favorite character approaches and you fail! Just happened to me with toon link. I was using pikachu and I wasn't familiar with his move set.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

A new indiegogo is in effect for a copper heatsink mod for the Win 2, that you just swap out under the back panel, and supposedly reduces temperature by 15-21 degrees! That’s amazing. Because the systems can get a little toasty when you’re running really intense games. This mod also makes it possible to run on higher power profiles without overheating, meaning you can run more demanding games. It claims to get you an average of 10 to 12 FPS more than stock as well, so games will run smoother.

Just thought I’d mention this since Switch fans are typically fans of handheld gaming in general. A lot of progress is being made in the portable gaming arena, and not just with regard to mobile chip-based devices. I always like comparing and contrasting Switch and Win 2 because one is based on a purely mobile chipset, whereas the other is based on actual Windows 10 PC architecture. I wonder if the two will eventually converge into one.

In a few years, when Switch is 100% hacked with full control of the kernel, I wonder what kind of mods will come about to overclock and run at higher power profile settings. Something like that might require a physical mod to accompany it, such as a larger battery. But I don’t know if there’s room in the back of the Switch to accommodate a larger battery. Let’s hope the Switch Pro is real, and that it has a better battery.

Edited on by JaxonH

GameOtaku

@JaxonH
I agree 100%! An account system is in place so it should be similar to crossbuy on PS3/PSP/Vita. Classic games (VC or whatever they want to call it) should transfer with no problems. As of now there's no way to own the classic games on switch. We honestly can't rely on 3rd parties to release collections, they are always going to be missing something (alpha 3 upper on SF collection, Sonic 3 Genesis collection, full physical megaman legacy collections missing the power fighters and battle and chase as well as adventure). Do they honestly think everyone will buy into this rental bullcrap?

GameOtaku

JaxonH

@GameOtaku
Well, people don’t really have a choice at the moment. So long as that remains true, I’d say yes, they will. By simple virtue of the fact there is no other alternative.

I think it’s a good idea and some people are probably OK with a Netflix style rental service. I don’t think the concept is bad. I just don’t think it should be the only way to obtain the games. Sell them separately. Assigned a monetary value to each of those games being provided. Not only will it make members of the service feel like they are receiving greater value because they can see the $ behind the price of each one of them, but it will satisfy people who actually want to own the games.

The problem with that, is any virtual console game released to be sold, would have to be provided in the service. People would go nuts if they released a game on the eShop but it didn’t come to Nintendo Online. And that’s a problem because some virtual Consol games require more work, especially if you’re talking about later generations. The only way to address that issue is to increase the cost of the service for including them (that’s not gonna go over well) or dont release the games at all (which despite being the worse of the two is the one that won’t see any backlash as a result, because people can’t miss what they don’t have).

At the end of the day, I’ve thrown my hands in the air and given up with respect to virtual console. Nintendo is not going to fulfill this need, and that’s that. So I took matters into my own hands and bought a handheld that would satisfy my needs. That would run SNES, GBA, N64. That would Run GameCube, Wii, and even PS2 and PSP. Screw it, ya know? I’m not gonna sit here and complain for the next five years about Nintendo not giving me something I want. I’m going to roll my sleeves up and actually do something about it. I’m going to have these games on a handheld, with Nintendo‘s blessing or not. I’ll be more than pleased to pay them for it if they want my money, but if they don’t... oh well then.

GameOtaku

@JaxonH
Yeah they are really shooting themselves in the foot. Suing ROM sites yet not addressing the reason why people emulate. I'm sure going forward games would not need work on later systems (especially if they are emulated, the tech is going to get more powerful and more accurate). For some I could see why a Netflix style would appeal but I'd rather pay the price of admission and keep something over paying for the same content over and over for as long as it lasts then lose it and have all that cash go down the drain for nothing.

GameOtaku

Ralizah

Just waiting for the anger and disappointment when a Persona 5 announcement is made and it has nothing to do with the Switch. Nintendo fans really love setting themselves up for disappointment.

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah I doubt it has nothing to do with Switch otherwise there would've been no value in Nintendo picking Joker for Smash.

Grumblevolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano Cloud appeared in Smash years before the Switch and S-E deciding to port off several of the major Final Fantasy games. It was just a guest appearance. Why wouldn't the same be true here?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic