Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,101 to 27,120 of 70,011

RenderSpotlight

Anyone have a Watt meter hooked up to their Switch?

Earlier I posted how low power the Switch uses. But after some recent point in time, I do not know exactly when, my Switch is now uses significantly more power in Sleep Mode when my USB to Ethernet adapter is connected.
In the past, while in "sleep mode" it drew about .2 watts. Now when I put it in Sleep mode it draws about 4 watts. That is a big jump .2 to 4
But the odd thing is when I put the Switch into sleep mode and then I unplug my USB to Ethernet adapter the watts drop back down to the .2 range. I have tried multiple adapters on multiple Switch consoles. They all do the same thing.
Turning the Switch to "power off", will drop the watts down to the .2 range again. So it seems to have something to do with the USB adapter being attached at the time of putting the Switch in sleep mode.
Nothing is being charged so no extra power is being used for that.
I do not look at my watt meter every day, but I know it used less power in January of this year when I originally measured it, so something must have changed from then to now, maybe since the 5.0 update. But that is only a guess.
Any ideas?

RenderSpotlight

Grumblevolcano

@Hikingguy The Switch stays connected to the internet in sleep mode since the 5.0 update.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

RenderSpotlight

@Grumblevolcano And you think that is making it draw that much more power? It makes sense. But geezz that is a huge power jump for a devise that should be essentially off. Is there anyway to turn that feature off?

RenderSpotlight

EvilLucario

@Hikingguy I think if you turn on Airplane Mode undocked, then dock it, it'll block Wi-Fi. Not sure if docking the system disables Airplane Mode (you can't turn it on in the dock, but I don't know if it turns off after docking).

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

RenderSpotlight

@EvilLucario I do not have any wifi on, I have a meter to check for that. It is hardwired with the USB adapter. So no power should be drawn from WiFi.

RenderSpotlight

JaxonH

Switch is a weird console for me.

It's way cooler and way more practical and infinitely more useful than Wii U or Wii, and it's getting way better games and alot more of them (at least, legit non-shovelware games).

But despite all that its been somewhat frustrating, moreso than previous consoles. Because previous consoles really gave no reason to care about 3rd party games on them. All generation long I was happily buying up games on PS4 and didn't really care one bit. It was a better looking version anyways.

But now with Switch, I suddenly find myself only wanting to play games on this one system, with rare exception, so every single game that doesn't come to Switch kinda sucks. Sure, I can still buy them on other consoles like before. It's not like it's a worse situation. But I just no longer have the will to play other consoles. Which makes it frustrating seeing a game release you want to play, but not being on a hybrid system.

Ironic how their best system with night and day support from last gen, can actually be more frustrating than a system only good for 1st party games like Wii U.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@TheTetrisGuy It doesn't appear so. All console versions for FIFA etc. are listed separately. So guess the 3DS version just...pfft.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed I don't think Switch would be distant third in that outcome, XB1 would likely still be third.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

I don't care about the console race, I just want games. They can come dead last for all I care, but as long as it keeps the games rolling I'm good.

Really happy to see Metroid Prime and Fire Emblem make a proper return to console, and console Pokemon. Already got Xenoblade, and hopefully will get Xeno X ported. Getting a new Bayonetta game, already got a new Zelda...

It's nice seeing more of Nintendo's quality franchises make an appearance. I'm really curious to see Retro Studio's game.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

bluemage1989

@Grumblevolcano you know I read your posts on here and think your pretty spot on about a lot of things but I seriously hope your wrong about the 2018 line up. Third parties and WiiU ports just isn't going to cut it for the majority of Nintendo fans. WiiU ports should be occasional and only for the very best WiiU games and third party Switch games just don't have what it takes at the moment to carry the system.

bluemage1989

link3710

@bluemage1989 I don't see any reason we can't have the rest of the major Wii U lineup come over (W101, SM3DW, TMS#FE, XCX, Pikmin 3, and maybe even SFZ, PM:CS or NSMBU) or get sequels in SMM's case. That said, there's no reason to expect as many ports as GrumbleVolcano suggested during the holiday this year. I'd wager we'll see another 3-4 next year in the first half of the year, and the remaining few that will come at all will trickle out over then end of year 3 of the Switch.

I'd wager we'll see XCX next February, W101 seems like a good game for May, and Pikmin 3 maybe in June or July? Then TMS#FE will come out the year after to excite people for SMT V finally coming out.

3D World is the hardest to guess, I'd wager that one might come out in August one year, if it comes at all. They already did most of the work presumably to get Captain Toad running, so it would be strange for it not to come out, yet Mario platformers almost never get anything other than straight emulation these days.

I'd wager the end of this year might look more like this:
August: Pikmin 4 / Retro / Unannounced Crossover
September: Animal Crossing
October: Unannounced Crossover or 3rd Party focused
November: Super Smash Bros. (new not port)
December: Super Mario Maker 2

...How do I end up rambling like this?

link3710

Ralizah

At this point, I've just kind of accepted that I'm going to be repurchasing a lot of games because I want to play them on a hybrid console. It's not the end of the world.

So, yeah, bring on the ports! Virtual Console, too! I'm ready for my Ultimate Nintendo Console.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

gcunit

I've double-dipped on Mario Kart 8 and Botw, but that's a far as I'll go. Any other Wii U ports I'll ignore until the end of the generation and I can pick them up dirt cheap.

At Christmas we were revelling in what was to come for this record breaking device... and now all anyone can talk about is bloody ports from the (beloved) Faiil U. SMH.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

TheTetrisGuy

link3710 wrote:

3D World is the hardest to guess, I'd wager that one might come out in August one year, if it comes at all. They already did most of the work presumably to get Captain Toad running, so it would be strange for it not to come out, yet Mario platformers almost never get anything other than straight emulation these days.

I used to be certain we would get a new game in the “3D” series of games, and not a port, but I also thought we would get a Captain Toad sequel as opposed to a port, and now we’re getting 2 ports of Captain Toad so what do I know

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Grumblevolcano

@bluemage1989 I could see it going as far as I mentioned with Wii U ports especially if Pokemon is a 2018 game. Smash and Pokemon would be Nintendo's equivalent of Red Dead Redemption 2.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Harmonie

gcunit wrote:

I've double-dipped on Mario Kart 8 and Botw, but that's a far as I'll go. Any other Wii U ports I'll ignore until the end of the generation and I can pick them up dirt cheap.

At Christmas we were revelling in what was to come for this record breaking device... and now all anyone can talk about is bloody ports from the (beloved) Faiil U. SMH.

I agree. I would never double-dip beyond those two games, and I'm only likely to ever do so with BoTW when it becomes a selects title.

Although I don't have a number of these games that are getting ported, any of the other ones I had like Super Smash Bros would not get another buy from me. Honestly, if SSB is another port I will never forgive Nintendo for it. You just don't advertise a port in that way.

Either way, while I'm frustrated with how dry the Switch's library has been as of late, I don't really have money to spend anyway, so... However, for holiday season I expect a lot... The SSB (if and ONLY if it is new), Pokemon, and rumored Animal Crossing would make for an amazing lineup. However, I don't know if they'll hold to any of it.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

IceClimbers

@Harmonie Which is why it isn't a port. The supposed confusion is entirely fan orchestrated because people kept assuming they'd do a port. All Nintendo did was put out a teaser for their new game.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

kkslider5552000

I do agree that the first half of this year has been a tad lackluster from Nintendo. Abundantly clear they put all their effort into that first year. I've just not noticed because every single parent review of Labo is the most adorable thing in the world right now. It is a bit weird that new big, mainstream gaming device has otherwise not had a lot of big time releases so far this year. And after last year, I'm not surprised, this is partially what I was expecting. But to be fair, I can tell you this is still miles better than what Wii or Wii U was getting at its "slow" points. It's impossible for me to avoid seeing that a new, well liked indie game has come out all the time on Switch, despite not currently owning, a Switch.

And hey y'know what, that weird Sushi Striker "started on 3DS" game, I found out recently is an indieszero game. They made one of the absolute BEST DS games in Retro Game Challenge, they made NES Remix and that weird Final Fantasy rhythm series, so they have the credibility to make something really fun I feel like. Don't sleep on this one.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

EvilLucario

Well I'd double-dip for Xenoblade X and Metroid Prime Trilogy (and Hollow Knight but that's an indie), but aside from that not much else.

But my budget for games is running dangerously low, so I can't really buy much of anything.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic