Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,841 to 22,860 of 35,582

Knuckles-Fajita

The only readon im happy the Switch itself doesnt handle voice chat is because of resources.

If the systems wifi chips had to stream not only the game but a voice stream as well, thats more load for the system. If you route it via a seperate device, thats one less strain for the Switch so it can send the game data.

Now the other benefit is actually RAM.

So we know that the Switch can seemingly only just record video by keeping a constant 30 second buffer in RAM at all times. Imagine loading in another part of the OS to do voice chat too on an OS Level.

Streaming the game, streaming voice via OS, keeping that video buffer at all times. And keeping the game running locally. Its a lot.

Heck its obvious some games wont get video recording because...well some of them cant free up the RAM to do it.

Plus, and lets be honest here, he uses the PS4 built in voice stuff? Anyone? 3DS? DS? Xbox One?

Who uses...I dunno. Skype. Discord. Anything else?

Because just as is the case with the Switch solution, thpse are better than the console options

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

49/50 followers - Sep 2

rallydefault

@YummyHappyPills
I don't get your comment about "who uses the PS4 built in voice stuff? Anyone?"

uhm...

<raises hand>

My friends only use the Xbox Live chat when we play games together. It's super convenient. I only do Discord or Teamspeak if I'm playing WoW or HotS.

rallydefault

PikPi

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Heck its obvious some games wont get video recording because...well some of them cant free up the RAM to do it.

Plus, and lets be honest here, he uses the PS4 built in voice stuff? Anyone? 3DS? DS? Xbox One?

uhh...a great deal of people, I would wager.

PikPi

JaxonH

Even I use it, and I'm one of those people that never use voice chat. You know how good it feels to play MH and chat with friends again? Haven't done that in 5 years...

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Ralizah

I'm really happy I've never wanted to use voice chat, considering Nintendo's difficulties with it. Tried it once for a game and absolutely hated it.

Ralizah

JaxonH

Ya... I stay relatively (i.e. 99%) unscathed by Nintendo's inadequate online, thanks to the fact I almost never want or need to utilize such features.

But onerare occasion, that one game comes around where ya, I would want voice chat (MHXX). And direct messaging to friends... well... that's something I would use, even if sparingly. It would be great to send a message that says hey, wanna hop online and play Splatoon 2? Or just chat. Many of the friends in my list are online friends, meaning I really don't have a good way to communicate with them on a regular basis. Messaging would solve that.

I would also like a trophy system. I'm not really big into the whole achievement thing, but I do like them. I like that it records your progress forever, so to speak. It documents your adventures and, well... your achievements. If I play and beat Xenoblade 2, I have nothing to remember that by except my own memories. I like the idea of getting permanent accolades as you progress through a game that people can always look at and say ah! He got really far in that game or wow! He beat that super hard boss that nobody else could beat. I suppose taking screenshots somewhat serves the same purpose... but it's not the same.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Ralizah

@JaxonH I agree on trophy support. I don't go as crazy for them as some people do, but if I really love a game, I like to collect all of the trophies as a way of showing how much I enjoyed the game. Adding it to a score or counter on your account also gameifies it a bit, which can be fun.

Ralizah

PikPi

100% agree with adding in trophy stuff. But for some reason a great many Nintendo fans see them as bad for some reason.

PikPi

link3710

I am one hundred percent for Trophies... so long as you have the option to turn off the notifications. I have zero interest in them myself, so I'd just turn them off and go about my merry day. Oh, and an option on whether or not you wanted to share you trophy information, not for myself, but for the people who get insecure about that sort of stuff. I think if it had those two options, no one could complain.

link3710

Ralizah

@Operative2-0 Trophy culture can get a bit... off... at times. Like people refusing to play games without trophies, or people buying games only for trophies, or games selling based on the fact that they have easy trophy sets, etc.

But I don't think these issues are big enough to justify not having such a system in place.

Ralizah

Xyphon22

@Ralizah Where in Tennessee are you? I have frequently seen the occasional Switch even months ago when they were rare, but now every store I go in has multiple ones. And yeah, I even saw one store (can't remember what it was) a couple days ago that had multiple SNES Classics. They have definitely upped the stock of everything.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Ralizah

@Xyphon22 Middle Tennessee. The Walmart I was visiting at the time was located in Lawrenceburg, I believe.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Inertiacreep

i am totally turned off by these new game gimmicks like achievements and trophies... i throw these into the same categories as loot boxes and fail dlc... something wrong with kids these days patronizing all these things.

Inertiacreep

Xyphon22

@Ralizah OK, cool. I'm in Johnson City in the East. It's an odd place because it's not a huge town and video games (at least Nintendo ones) don't necessarily seem to be that popular, yet we have 4 Gamestops within 15-20 minutes of my house. I have always been able to find even super rare items here (I got an NES Classic by just walking into Walmart and asking about them). I'm still kicking myself because one of our Gamestops once had like 4 or 5 copies of the original Xenoblade on the shelf when they were rare and going for hundreds on Ebay. I should have bought them all.

Xyphon22

Ralizah

@Xyphon22 I've had a few missed opportunities like that. Not with video games, though. I once thought about buying a $30 book from a (at that time) incredibly obscure author on release day, but decided not to. Within a week or two, it went out of print and the price skyrocketed to the point where people were charging upwards of $200 for it. I was really kicking myself for that one.

At least I got in on that FE Fates action. Got the special edition, played two of the three campaigns, and then sold it for more than I originally bought it for.

And lucky you. I think we have one Gamestop. Granted, that's probably all anyone needs in one town.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

SKTTR

@JaxonH A better example is the million of people using voice chat (and USB keyboard) in Monster Hunter Tri in 2010 on Wii.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

SLIGEACH_EIRE

3rd party Switch games sales data in Japan up until December 3rd. The first number is the debut sales and the second is total sales.

• Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. (Capcom) - 84,277 / 173,823
  • Super Bomberman R (Konami) - 36,623 / 116,911
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch (Square Enix) - 25,606 / 72,514
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (Koei Tecmo) - 41,491 / 62,105
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris S (Sega) - 12,854 / 61,748
  • Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) - 24,045 / 61,475
  • Seiken Densetsu Collection (Square Enix) - 29,564 / 49,129
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom) - 16,404 / 35,956
  • FIFA 18 (Electronic Arts) - 12,616 / 32,896
  • Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker (Square Enix) - 7,447 / 23,661
  • Dragon Quest X: All in One Package (Square Enix) - 9,482 / 23,484
  • Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e Online (Square Enix) - 18,444 / 21,793
  • Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software) - < 5,481 / 19,978
  • Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Marvelous) - 10,247 / 18,891
  • I am Setsuna (Square Enix) - < 5,481 / 17,933
  • LEGO City Undercover (Warner Entertainment Japan) - 5,351 / 17,025
  • One Piece: Unlimited World Red – Deluxe Edition (Bandai Namco Games) - 4,652 / 12,223
  • Cars 3: Driven to Win (Warner Entertainment Japan) - 3,220 / 11,229
  • Lost Sphear (Square Enix) - 5,770 / 11,097Unlimited World Red – Deluxe Edition (Bandai Namco Games) - 4,652 / 12,223
  • Cars 3: Driven to Win (Warner Entertainment Japan) - 3,220 / 11,229
  • Lost Sphear (Square Enix) - 5,770 / 11,097

https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-50-2...

The sales data comes from the latest issue of Nintendo Dream.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Xyphon22

Probably a dumb question, but I am planning on getting a Switch next week, but also want to take advantage of Target's eShop card deal today. If I put the funds on my Wii U, will they also show up on my Switch when I connect it like they do on the 3DS? I assume so, but I read something once that made me think they don't transfer to the Switch unless you put them on the Switch itself, so I thought I would make sure.

Xyphon22

Knuckles-Fajita

@Xyphon22 Yes. But they will permanently transfer to Switch only

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

49/50 followers - Sep 2

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic