Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,821 to 22,840 of 34,578

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano @Azooooz I disagree entirely. I don't think Nintendo believes that Directs are the appropriate place to be talking about services anymore. I think the online service will talked about separately.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@Azooooz I hope they delay that online subscription indefinitely. I don't see how it would improve what we already have. It's going to be the same thing, except that it's now free and not a paid service.

Octane

Azooooz

@Octane I never tried online play yet, is it really good? I think they'll make more dedicated servers and make more features from the subscription money.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is how to keep it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Octane

@Azooooz Define good. Not worse than any other online experience. And none of it is running on dedicated servers. It's all P2P, like most of the online games these days. I don't see how dedicated servers could improve the experience for the end user. The biggest bottleneck is your own internet connection. Any complaints towards Nintendo's current online infrastructure has more to do with how backwards some of it is (voice chat for example), and that has more to do with how everything is set up, rather than it being a free service at the moment.

So I don't see how they can drastically improve it, unless they start chucking arbitrary features behind a paywall. And in that case, it's no different from PS+ or Xbox Live, where you aren't paying for the online service, you're paying for the monthly games and discounts.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane I'll be satisfied if we get cloud saves with the $20/year service. Anything else is just a cherry on top.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Octane

@Ralizah You know what would be even better? The option of making your own back-up files.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Nah. Cloud saving is much more convenient for me. And since we can't back up our saves, it absolutely needs to be a thing sooner than later.

darkfenrir

I have question, does anyone here ever tried plugging their Switch's Dock to Laptop's monitor? o_o Will it even work?

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

darkfenrir

@Octane Oh T_T oh well. I only saw there's a place to plug in HDMI and got excited. Thank you for the answer nonetheless

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers The online service is so connected to the games that I can't see Nintendo not mentioning the online service at all. Even the single player games like Kirby Star Allies could have online multiplayer (co-op would work best in that case).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano They'll just mention that said games have online play. The paid service and the things attached to it (Classic Games Selection, discounts, etc) though? That'll be at another time.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

Online should bring instant messaging with any friends on your friend list via the Online app on your phone. And it should bring voice chat to EVERY. SINGLE. GAME that has Online. In fact it should just be a feature that can be used with any game rather than within specific games. But it's clear they're going with voicechat within specific games, which is fine, if that's the case they need to make sure every single game with online is in that phone app. It's ridiculous that I could voice chat in MH3U on the Wii U back in March of 2013, but can't in MHXX on Switch heading into 2018.

That and cloud saves, and we have a winner winner chicken dinner. But I already know that's not going to happen. We won't get messaging and we won't get voice chat for every game. We'll be lucky to even get cloud saves.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Final Fantasy XV, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna
N3DS:
PS4pro:
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Dragon Age Origins, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

MisterPi

Cloud saves and a not completely stupid chat system. Make it a part of the console OS or don't bother.

And obviously paying for online means I expect more games to have online features. No more getting away with local only Mario co op platformers or Pikmin Co Op challenges. But that would go hand in hand with needing voice chat.

MisterPi

Ralizah

So Nintendo made good on its promise to increase stock for Nintendo Switch and SNES Classic Edition around Christmas in the U.S. (in Tennessee, at least). I went to a Wal-Mart today and saw FIVE of those SNES Classics behind a glass case, next to a bunch of Switches.

Edited on by Ralizah

FragRed

I have this really nagging feeling Nintendo are literally just going to go ahead with the paid subscription service and add nothing new like cloud saves or decent voice chat etc etc. It will be exactly what we have now with the random one or two NES/SNES games per month.

ENGAGE VG NEWS & REVIEWS SITE LAUNCHING SOON: www.engagevg.com

Grumblevolcano

The really odd thing about the chat situation, Microsoft decided to follow Nintendo on the mobile app idea. Seriously, Microsoft have a Xbox Live Party Chat mobile app in beta currently on both iOS and Android which seems odd (why have a mobile app when you already have the option to use headsets with the console?).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Because we all know what Nintendo does one day, regardless if people love it or hate it, Microsoft and Sony do the next.

ENGAGE VG NEWS & REVIEWS SITE LAUNCHING SOON: www.engagevg.com

rallydefault

@FragRed
lol yea I have that same feeling. They've been doing better in certain areas, but I still think it would be very "Nintendo" of them to just roll this thing out with really nothing other than a few classic games.

Put simply, I don't expect anything different with the voice chat. I don't expect them to do anything with that for a good while. Doesn't seem to be affecting them much the way it is, so yea, I don't see that changing.

MAYBE we see cloud saves. Maybe.

rallydefault

-Green-

So like hypothetically, if the Switch did get chat on the console OS, what would the point of the app be? Splatoon 2 online Shop basically.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic