Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 21,901 to 21,920 of 70,001

JaxonH

@NEStalgia

I stand by the anti PC post. This isn't something I would've bought for myself, it's a gift. But I'll certainly check it out- there's a couple games he is freaking out for me to try.

But I will say the controllers are the most amazing controllers I've ever held in my life. I wonder if I can use them as normal controllers for PC games... they are like joy cons but 10 times better. Absolutely incredible.

I think next year I'm going to upgrade the PC, and really do it right. Buy a new motherboard and the best CPU and graphics card money can buy. But, that might have to get put on hold because I want that GPD Win 2 when it releases in April. It runs DOOM at full 720p 45fps with actual low settings (not sub-low settings like Switch). That thing is a beast and by far the most powerful handheld ever created. But it's expensive as heck ($700, or $599 if you back the indigogo in January, which I might do because they have a proven track record, the original GPD has been around for years with multiple iterations, and this new one fixes all the issues the old one had like the heatsink and the screen being turned on when the lid is shut, etc)

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH yeah I'm mostly anti pc as well (after a decade as one of those obnoxious pc matter race people). Though if consoles keep picking up the worst parts of pc, i may as well go back to pc and save money. Though overall there's few mutiplats that even interest me anymore, and the exclusives in ps4 and switch are more hours of gaming than i can actually play anyway

Oh yeah i saw those things.. How is battery life on them?

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH Buying the best components money can buy is something any PC gamer will advise against. Buy what you are going to use otherwise you will waste a lot of cash on wasted resources, and you can think itll be future proofing, but you in fact wont, as CPUs and GPUs evolve in ways beyond just their speeds, for example cores, threads, and then speeds.

So don't go for the highest of the highest, as that's a Titan X which is $4000 and whatever CPU you want and youll never fully use either and nor will they be future viable, as in a few years something will come out at half the spec and price that's more efficient, and by the time parts equivalent to "The best money can buy" are actually going to be fully utilised, cheaper parts will exist at that point that will do it all better and more efficiently.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@NEStalgia

No idea. Turns out I only had one HDMI port on the back of my PC and I'm using that to run to the TV. So until my DVI to HDMI adapter arrives, i'm not able to use the Rift.

But how bad can it be though. Even if it's 10 or 15 hours that's plenty.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Saying its delayed to late 2018 when all the gave us was "2018" is....a bit disingenuous of them don't you think?

JaxonH

@YummyHappyPills

I don't care what people would advise against. Obviously I mean within reason. Not going to go spend $4000. But I'm not going to do some half measure either. I hate half measures. I'm going to upgrade properly. And when those new chips come out in 6 months, I'm going to get one of those. And I'm going to do it properly with a brand new motherboard and a high-end CPU and a high-end graphics card and then I'm going to be good for several years rather than doing half measures every year and a half.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@YummyHappyPills It's not fact yet, Nintendo Italia could have made an error. Ya, there's no need for the word "delay" in the headline. As you say, Nintendo only confirmed the initial delay was until 2018. I got the impression though that it was until the end of the 1st quarter.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

darkfenrir

Ohh yeah guys, I have been having some problem with my dpad on my switch's joycon (like not responsive and I have to press it multiple time before finally registering). Do you guys think it's a problem with my joycon, or is it just the xenoblade 2?

I was wondering if I got hit with that batch of "faulty joycon from manufacture" :[

darkfenrir

RR529

Got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Christmas, which was a suprise since I wasn't expecting anything gaming related.

Also got Amazon & Wal-Mart gift cards, which I'll probably use to pick up a couple Switch accessories I haven't yet.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Pazzo-TheFool

A very Merry Christmas to all you Switch owners out there. Can't wait to see what the next year has in store. Share that Christmas spirit with some good natured play this holiday.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

NEStalgia

@JaxonH i think you and i approach pc builds the same way which is probably why were so jaded by pc gaming . Everyone that does half measures seems to spend less and be happier yet i could never get myself to go that route

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Ya, I just don't wanna mess with it is my thing. I just want it to work and work for five years. If I spend 700 bucks on top of the line product upgrading, and then I'm good for five years, maybe I have to start turning it down from ultra high settings to high settings in a few years and then to medium settings in a few years after that... that's perfect. That'll work. I want the biggest gap of time in between upgrades as humanly possible.

But I might just invest more into the GPD Win 2 library instead. That's a system that doesn't get upgraded- it's like a console or handheld where you buy it, and that's how it is forever. Sure, you can upgrade the hard drive and all that but the internals are there to stay. It's compact form factor would be hell to take apart and try to upgrade. I think the max RAM it would be able to take anyways is 12 gigs and it's already got 8. Still, that might be something worth looking into if it's even possible to take it apart and upgrade, which it might be too difficult to even bother with.

Edited on by JaxonH

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH Thats exactly what Im advising you do. Go for what can do ultra settings comfortably now, then high in 3 years, then medium in 5.

You dont even need the best money can buy. Ive got an Intel i7-6070 at 3.4 - 4 GHz, with a GTX970 and 4GB with 16GB of DDR5 RAM and an SSD.

Thats doing ultra settings on all but games coming out next year and that was a system I got for £1300 or so in September 2016. By that point it was already a year old and it wont need upgrading in any capacity (Well except grttimg a bigger SSD of course!) for another 3 years or so, as what is coming out in 2018 is still very much Ultra settings capable.

And thats the thing. Is it the best money can buy? No. Did it need to be? Well an extra few hundred on a GTX 1070 would have added a few more games to the Ultra list in year 2 and 3 but this is still getting 90% of games with minimal effort.

Of course Im focused on 1080p as an upper limit. If you want 4k yes youll be adding a little more to that price.

But to do what you want to do, get a 5 year system, make no mistakes these arent half measures. You can make slightly older parts last for 5 years or so if what you want is Ultra until maybe 3-5 years later.

So no, top of the line is very much a waste of money. High-mid to high end is where you want to be, because anything more than that is above what most people want.

And what most people want is exactly that. A console cycle lifespan from the parts! 4-6 years.

@SLIGEACH_EIRE They said 2018, therefore I expect December 31st ;p Thats a good way to do it, is always take the date at its latest possible and dont think otherwise until 100% confirmed and set in stone.

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
Wait, GPD ?
That fakey goodies with full of piracy from China ?

Anti-Matter

FX102A

Bit late to the post Christmas Swag Bag Party but had me a Merry Switchmas with the following under the tree:

Doom
Snipperclips
Skyrim
Azure Striker Gunvolt
8Bitdo SFC30 Pad

FX102A

SKTTR

My tv stopped working. Picture went black, then just doesn't react to input anymore besides the power button.
Merry Christmas!!

Guess it's time to Switch to handheld mode... :/

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Farmboy74

I got Mario Odyssey for Christmas, looking at picking up Steamworld Dig 2 in the e-shop sale and nothing software wise until February as I will have Mario, Skyrim and Steamworld Dig 2 on the go, that's if I can tear myself away from Stardew Valley.
Looking at getting a new case as the the case I brought for my son for his switch is far better than the official case I picked up at launch.
I would say that the Nintendo Switch (Odyssey edition) that I brought for my son for Christmas is working very well (currently in tabletop mode play Mario co op with one of his siblings).

Farmboy74

Haruki_NLI

@Azooooz 0S2 was...3.1m ish in its March 4th launch to end of December time so yeah its possible.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic