Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,661 to 17,680 of 19,341

UmniKnight

@shaneoh I'm not questioning how well it will do, I'm questioning on if it will uphold equality and parity across modes. Games like Severed and Voez already bring this into question, for it is true that they can only be handheld due to touch screen, they're still more games for one mode versus the other.

Coupled with Nintendo being unable to compete with PS4/Xbox One on technical front has me question on whether they will remain in the home-console industry. They're strong in handheld, but can't hold up in home-console, hence my doubt.

Edited on by UmniKnight

"Anger is a gift!" SW-3841-5838-8684

BLP_Software

Are we still here?

Take some medication. Trust me. Buyers remorse and paranoia suck.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Discord: https://discord.gg/s8PjCh

I can't decide
Whether you should live or die
Oh, you'll probably go to heaven
Please don't hang your head and cry

EvilLucario

@UmniKnight Ultimately it's too early to have a concrete viewpoint of the Switch's overall success among gamers. There's far too many variables to consider, and anything can go right or wrong. That said, on the topic of third-party support, I see quite a few multiple futures that hinge on a few things:

  • The success of the Switch in general
    If the Switch sells massively, people will still end up porting their games to the system just for exposure. For example, for something like Resident Evil 4 and Viewtiful Joe, they were ported from GameCube to the PS2 with quite a lot of downgrades in performance and graphics, simply because porting it to the PS2 would give them more sales (though that didn't work out too well from what I remember, could be wrong though). Heck, even the Wii got CoD ports that tried to replicate the PS3/360 experience that weren't that bad considering the hardware gaps between the Wii and PS3/360.
  • Mario + Rabbids
    I see Mario + Rabbids as an important title for the Switch and a potentially good first-stepping stone to a greater goodwill towards third-parties. If Mario + Rabbids does really well, that gives Nintendo more ideas to open up more third-party opportunities to use Nintendo's IP to make exclusive games. Imagine someone like Shin'en making a true-form F-Zero game (like Fast RMX), or From Software making a new IP like they did with Bloodborne with PS4. With a potential success story of Mario + Rabbids both critically and commercially, more third-parties would be interested in doing similar stuff. People tend to think that "Nintendo gamers only buy Nintendo games"... so if third-parties want the best shot on Nintendo hardware, get third-parties to make Nintendo-like quality games. That's not to say multiplatforms like
    Anthem or Doom or etc shouldn't come to Switch, but it's something for third-parties to consider alongside ports of upcoming AAA games.

That said, the Switch has an advantage of its own with the portability. People are seriously considering buying FIFA 18 on the Switch instead of the PS4/Xbox One because of that, for example, and if that trend continues with more AAA games then I don't think there's too much of a worry. The Wii and Wii U both struggled because they didn't provide anything substantial of its own aside from them being Nintendo consoles, but the Switch brings the portability factor as a very strong factor to sway people.

  • Some more work and support to third-parties
    Stories like how Rocket League is getting good support from Nintendo in supporting cross-platform play and etc. This shows that Nintendo is changing and starting to learn how to adapt, and hopefully this continues to develop more and more.

And that's only from the big "AAA games". Games that thrive on handhelds like Etrian Odyssey and etc are almost inevitably coming to the Switch as well, and it can easily get some of the best Japanese AAA games as well. With the recent hinting of Final Fantasy XV coming to Switch, I don't have much worries from the Japanese side. The Western side may take more convincing, but I don't see the Switch struggling that badly. I do see the Switch missing out on some multiplatforms, but I don't think it's too damning unless it's a very, very large number.

One more thing about those two games that could only be played in portable mode. I see them born out of necessity due to the unique control styles they bring. If we want to talk about the "power" aspect that could separate the two aspects, I again bring the example of the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X not having any games that absolutely require it. Yes, the New 3DS had games that are exclusive to it, like Xenoblade, and the Pro/X might have games that will eventually absolutely require it, but they are an extreme rarity compared to what is actually available. I see the same for games that might require the dock only - a rarity and anomaly. That said I don't see Nintendo ever releasing games that can't be played on portable mode, as they're making games based on portable mode first then worry about docked later. It's only third-parties that can decide what they want to do, but I'm not too worried since the portability is the main attraction to Switch versions.

Edited on by EvilLucario

EvilLucario

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Reginald

I've already argued with someone who has a biased preference for docked mode, so this whole conversation is tiresome. Lol. How many times has this sort of talk escalated in the first year of a device.

Meanwhile, the only thing I want out of the Switch is a cloud saving feature.

Reginald

Hitokage1

shaneoh wrote:

UmniKnight wrote:

since the Switch cannot compete in power with the competition, and hence, will lose out on similar games that require said power.

They did alright out of the Wii, Wii U (could have been better, but I doubt they lost money in the end), DS & 3DS eras, despite being underpowered compared to the competition.

Wasn't the Wii U the first time they had a yearly loss? And didn't it happen for, like, three years?

Hitokage1

shaneoh

@Hitokage1
I meant that the Wii U was profitable. The profit may not have been enough to cover operating costs, but I think that as a product it did make money. R&D takes a huge chunk of dough.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Therad

UmniKnight wrote:

@Ralizah So you're saying it's this route or nothing at all, and that those who have come to play home-console Nintendo machines are to consign themselves to the Switch route?

People should make informed decisions before buying. When the concept was leak by eurogamer and LKD, it was obvious it would never have PS4 level of power. In fact, I am impressed they managed to succeed in having more GPU power than the Wii U, despite Nvidia not being strong in the mobile space.

I am quite sure there will be more handheld only games coming to the switch. Because of the touchscreen many games only available on mobile is possible to release on the switch. This doesn't mean the majority of games will be handheld only though. This means there will be more games overall.

NaviAndMii wrote:

If a games developer really has a vision that their game should be handheld only for some reason - or docked only - or, I dunno, keyboard and mouse only (!) - and the Switch is capable of fulfilling that vision...why shouldn't that be allowed? I don't get it... (EDIT: Those choices might be mistakes on the part of the developer - if a game isn't hybrid, my guess is that it probably wouldn't sell as well as it would have if it were - but it should be the developers choice nonetheless...and those games shouldn't be ruled out just because they want to use the hardware in a different way)

The developers are constantly changing their vision to accommodate for the market/publishers. It is a myth that developers have some sort of grand unchanging vision. If someone wanted to do a keyboard only game on the switch, the publishers would shoot it down directly.

Therad

Therad

shaneoh wrote:

@Hitokage1
I meant that the Wii U was profitable. The profit may not have been enough to cover operating costs, but I think that as a product it did make money. R&D takes a huge chunk of dough.

I am not sure it was profitable if you factor in every cost and profit. Not only did it sell bad, it also didn't have an especially good attach-rate (=less licensing fees, less sales of first-party games). Nintendo would need to release a breakdown before we can be sure though.

Therad

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Switch - Take your games wherever you go

It features loads of current games and some upcoming games like FIFA 18, Skyrim, Rocket League, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle and Super Mario Odyssey.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

NaviAndMii

@Therad @Ralizah I'm sorry, but I completely disagree - the evidence seems to suggest otherwise. As we've already seen, a couple of developers wanted to bring their handheld-only, touchscreen-only games to the Switch - they were given the green light - and now we have a couple of games (already) that don't fit the central hybrid concept you guys keep talking about...you keep making excuses but conveniently ignoring the facts: if the Switch was designed to be hybrid only, those games would've been 'shot down' - but they weren't - so Nintendo are clearly a lot more open minded about the possibilities than you guys give them credit for...

You say that keyboard & mouse games would get 'shot down' - yet we have the Jackbox games that ignore the Joy-Con altogether and instead use Smart Devices etc as controllers...again, the facts suggest otherwise - Nintendo have provided controllers, but if the developers have a different vision then Nintendo are open-minded to those possibilities also.

The hybrid nature of the Switch is what gives it a degree or two of separation from PS4/X1/PC/Tablet/Laptop/Mobile etc & is the big selling point - I get that - but it's not the only thing it can do...luckily, the evidence seems to suggest that Nintendo see the Switch as more than just a hybrid (even if you guys don't) - and we're already seeing that in certain games. To me, such games only enhance the idea that the Switch is a flexible, versatile gaming device - not diminish it.

Edited on by NaviAndMii

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ Switch ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently playing (online): Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Splatoon 2

MK8D: R: 8500+, B: 2000+ | Splatoon 2: Lvl: 34, RM: B+, SZ: C, TC: B+

โฉMy Gamesโช

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii | Twitter:

rallydefault

And that, folks, is how you overanalyze.

Next, pass me that stick, and let's have a walk over to that dead horse.

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@NaviAndMii Though none of the examples move away from the concept of being able to play all games anywhere. You can play the touch screen games anywhere, you can play Jackbox anywhere. You wouldn't be able to play docked only games anywhere and this is the key argument against docked only games and dock expansions.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Operative2-0

Reading this thread can get mentally exhausting sometimes

Operative2-0

NaviAndMii

@Grumblevolcano I agree with that. I think that, while Nintendo are still seeking to establish the Switch on the market, they'd probably be wise to stick to 'anywhere' games - but further down the line, once the Switch is well and truly established, maybe they'd be open to the possibility? By then, I'll probably have 20-30 games that I can take with me on the go - adding a few 'docked only' games (particularly if there is some sort of Expansion Pak that boosts docked performance later in the Switch's lifecycle) might be used just to give the Switch something a bit extra, I think...

EDIT: As far as hybrid goes, though - it's clearly not a 'hybrid only' console if Nintendo allow non-hybrid games, like they already have done - that's my overall point, they clearly appreciate that it is more than just a hybrid gaming device..

Edited on by NaviAndMii

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ Switch ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently playing (online): Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Splatoon 2

MK8D: R: 8500+, B: 2000+ | Splatoon 2: Lvl: 34, RM: B+, SZ: C, TC: B+

โฉMy Gamesโช

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii | Twitter:

UmniKnight

@EvilLucario So, in all of that, I've never seen you enforce the reason the dock is there. You've only proven what I already thought: The Switch selling on "On the go console quality games" aka the handheld portion. I'm merely trying to give myself peace of mind, that what I love and prefer to play in this new mess of a fusion, will remain in the future, and so far I only see confirmation that it disappearing doesn't matter enough to people to be a problem, aka it is but an extra.

Edited on by UmniKnight

"Anger is a gift!" SW-3841-5838-8684

UmniKnight

"As far as hybrid goes, though - it's clearly not a 'hybrid only' console if Nintendo allow non-hybrid games, like they already have done - that's my overall point, they clearly appreciate that it is more than just a hybrid gaming device.." This, so very much this.

"Anger is a gift!" SW-3841-5838-8684

BLP_Software

Okay I need to stress this. The mantra of Switch is the ability to play games anywhere.

I repeat. Play a game anywhere. Hybridisation is more than tv/handheld. It's tv/handheld/tabletop/different controllers/wherever you are.

But hey, lets end this horribly cyclical pile of fan**** right now.

How about all those games coming for the holiday season?

Skyrim looks great, as does FIFA, 2K Sports look solid too. But of course, Odyssey and XC2 are the big hitters, with Pokken, FE Warriors as the B titles.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Discord: https://discord.gg/s8PjCh

I can't decide
Whether you should live or die
Oh, you'll probably go to heaven
Please don't hang your head and cry

UmniKnight

@BLP_Software It isn't that simple, akin to sticking one's head in the sand. The future matters as much as the now, the same way people hold off of buying a console, if they know it's successor is close to release.

As I've said before, I seek nothing but peace of mind, to be wrong in my assumptions that the dock is but an extra. That doesn't change how it takes me very little effort to come to that conclusion by seeing their marketing, what the Switch sells on, and what people are most excited for. They are excited for great games, but great games on the go, not great games on the Switch, with it's docked mode, in general.

Edited on by UmniKnight

"Anger is a gift!" SW-3841-5838-8684

GrailUK

The Switch for me is just convenient and versatile. Hybrid is just a throwback to the NX rumour mill days when joe public where trying to out guess Nintendo. Any game is welcome in my book.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic