Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,661 to 17,680 of 26,187

EvilLucario

@UmniKnight The dock exists so the Switch can stop worrying about battery life to overlock itself, outputting higher resolutions and also better performance/graphics to more strongly appeal to the big screen users. That's... pretty much it, allowing for a better home experience. If you're worried about the state of the console portion dying out and instead the Switch being solely regulated to handheld mode, then I don't see it just yet. Like I said, I am very willing to bet there are a lot of people that get use out of both portable and console throughout their day, so it would indeed be a great deal if one of them was heavily compromised at a massive scale, be it portable or console mode.

Also, if developers really wanted to make their game work in portable mode solely due to the touchscreen, then they can. They're taking the portable aspect and making the most out of it. If a developer really wants to make their game only work on the dock just because they need that extra juice, then they can, making it a true console game. It would ruin their chances of consumers ever buying for the Switch as the portability factor is a big sway to why you'd buy for the Switch, but the option would most likely be there for developers. That doesn't change the fact that it's a hybrid and is what you make of it, though. If you think it's a portable, then treat it like a portable. If you think it's a console, then treat it like a console. Developers have their freedom, and if they want to pull it off, they have my blessing. That doesn't change the fact that it's a hybrid though, since it can do one or the other and can transition between modes seamlessly for 98% of games. The other 2% are going to be born out of necessity, few and far between.

But due to the innate hook of the Switch - the portability and the fact you can play those portable games on the big screen - developers would realize that and end up optimizing their games for both portable and docked modes, as limiting it to one or the other would make people want to pass up that version in favor of the PC/XB1/PS4 ports. People that still want to stay on the big screen can choose to do so. As such, I have no worries about the home console part of the Switch potentially dying out. Third-party support is a different story, but they can't ignore a success and/or drawing point like the Switch forever.

@BLP_Software I'm not a sports fan so NBA and FIFA aren't my cup of tea (though I recognize the importance of them), but the fall/holiday season looks amazing for Nintendo. Not just Switch, even the 3DS is gonna (probably) get its last big hurrah with Samus Returns (so, so, SO can't wait for that game) and Ultra Sun/Moon. Odyssey and Xenoblade are going to be awesome as well to scratch that itch for big, big adventurers.

Skyrim is actually looking pretty good. Digital Foundry just uploaded a new video with their hands-on experience with portable Skyrim, and they liked it and thought it was a job well done. I'm waiting until the in-depth testing, though.

And that's just the big retail games, the eShop should also bring in its own stuff like Stardew Valley and Terraria. They're old games you can get on other consoles/PC, granted, but people are still excited at the possibility of the Switch versions regardless.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Farmboy74

Well this thread has escalated quickly over docked only games, tablet only games and how flexible the whole system is.
All I know is my bank balance will not like the run up to Christmas, Mario + Rabids, FIFA, Mario Odessey, Skyrim and Pokken. This has got to be one of the best year one line ups of games on a console in quite a while.

Farmboy74

MFD

@EvilLucario Alright, I'd like to ask you to give me reason to trust that Nintendo will keep this around, if not improve upon it (it's hybrid nature, specifically the dock) And the reason why I emphasize that, is that the handheld portion doesn't need emphasizing or worrying about it's future, as that's literally what's selling a lot of people on the device and it's old/ports games. It is Switch moreso than it's docked extra.

I guess the only way the portability aspect turns around, is if games originally portable (Like Pokemon and MH) would get a major hook in suddenly being home-console as well, as I know there are plenty of people that have been wanting a console experience of MH once again, even if we are getting that, just not on the Switch, which I think is a sin on Capcom's part, since the device is so perfectly well suited to that game.

MFD

EvilLucario

@UmniKnight Let's look at it the other way: Nintendo has nothing to gain if they simply go back to home console and portable separate devices. That ship sailed ever since the Switch started making waves. Trying again with the home console approach didn't work out as well as they'd hoped with the Wii U (though to be fair that was also attributed to other factors like marketing and weird power architecture), and trying to develop for both systems at once sap away valuable development efforts from the other. Combining both was a gamble, but it paid off, so with the current success of the Switch, it's a very strong possibility that Nintendo continues with the merge of portable and console so they can focus all of their efforts on one thing instead of two things. That alone makes the hybrid nature worth keeping, so Nintendo still allows people to play how they like - on a TV or out and about.

Yes, the portability aspect is selling people on the Switch... but there's still the docked version. There's options for both console and portable, to pick up after playing on the TV to portable, then back to TV, then whatever you want. If games was just portable or just console, people wouldn't have as much interest as them having options for both. Developers are realizing that too (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/08/mario_plus_rabbids_dev_praises_unprecedented_gameplay_possibilities_offered_by_switch), and that makes me believe that games won't be strictly one or the other without heavy, heavy thought.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@BLP_Software Only retail Switch games I'll be getting the rest of the year are Mario + Rabbids and Super Mario Odyssey. Never been the biggest fan of Skyrim, so I'll wait for a sale on that. Don't want to get Xenoblade 2 until I actually play Xenoblade X, which I've owned since launch. And FE Warriors... I'll wait for reviews. Not a huge Warriors fan, though, so I'm not sure if I'll even be picking it up. If I do, it'll be next year.

Switch-wise, for 2018, aside from obvious day one purchases (Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, Pokemon, SMT, Smash, etc.), I'm going to try to stick to a lot of the smaller, download-only titles I've been ignoring throughout the year. I already have a large list of smaller experiences that deserve my attention that I've been ignoring in favor of bigger retail purchases.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

NaviAndMii

There's always the possibility that Nintendo, (much) further down the line, might bring out a 'New Switch', more comparable (in terms of power) to the PS4/X1, opening the door for 'current gen' third parties to come to the Switch...then, perhaps, Nintendo could also bring out an Expansion Pak for the current Switch to give it a boost in docked performance, meaning that 'New Switch' games could still be played on the old (current) hardware, just in docked-only form (?) That way, tech could advance, but also no-one would get left behind...

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ NSW ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently Playing (Online): Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 61, CB: A, RM: A, SZ: A, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

MisterPi

I dunno about the whole stronger switch thing. Seems like it'd just muddy things up for themselves and people buying Switches

MisterPi

MFD

@EvilLucario True, but it doesn't inspire enough confidence to have any real faith, that they'll stick to that hybrid model if, later down the line, numbers do crop up that say there's money to be had by going handheld. Again, I don't see the dock as doing much, save for a tiny bit of extra to have it fit your TV and that's it. If it had more, did more, then I can see how it's integral, but right now, it just isn't, you get what I'm trying to say? It just feels like an extra, what with it being a small plastic case with hardly anything in it. It doesn't contribute enough to truly feel that it deserves the separate asking price, and indeed, for some, the inclusion at all.

MFD

YummyHappyPills

@NaviAndMii Please stop fuelling the poor boys paranoia. We want this discussion to actually progress some time this week.

@Ralizah I'm unemployed right now so...ick.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Twitter: @BritishPlaying

#NL Inklings Playlist: http://bit.ly/2DRgKFL

NL Inklings Discord: https://discord.gg/zTBBRRX

Twitch: http://bit.ly/2DO17vr

YouTube: http://bit.ly/2rArTSd

Ralizah

@Operative2-0 There wasn't a lot of confusion regarding the New 3DS aside from the name, right? I imagine it would be handled like that was.

Switch is inevitably going to be revised. And, at the rate technology is advancing, I have a hard time believing this won't include a more powerful hardware revision in a few years.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

OorWullie

I'll be skipping Pokken, NBA and FE Warriors, no interest in any of them. That still leaves me 5 retail games to buy before the years out (M&R, FIFA, Odyssey, Skyrim and Xenoblade 2},loads of promising indies as well as the ones that we already know are great like Rocket League and Stardew Valley, then all the Neo Geo games that I can't stop myself from buying and the Psikyo shoot-em-ups that will hopefully be coming soon. That's a lot of games and unfortunately a lot of money needed to purchase them all. All that on top of an expensive trip to the UK and no income for 2 months . Ouch!

Edited on by OorWullie

Switch Profile name - Mr Mustard

Switch Friend Code: SW-6101-8403-1640

MisterPi

@Ralizah well yeah, true, but I thought we were talking about an upgrade that puts it like a whole other console level above a regular switch. It might muddy up things like development. I guess the Pro and X will get away with it, but those seem more incremental. Well, for the pro at least. We've yet to see what consequences the x will have

Edited on by MisterPi

MisterPi

Spanjard

@OorWullie Yup, there is plenty to choose from. I can't remember if I ever had this much quality to play in the first 10 months.

Edited on by Spanjard

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

MFD

@BLP_Software Boy? Well, I'm 25, but thanks for the derogative anyway

You say Paranoia, I say healthy mind about not taking a business' crap at face-value. Did that a long time before, not doing it ever again.

MFD

NaviAndMii

@Operative2-0 The advantage of my suggestion, though, is that nobody gets left behind. With the New 3DS, certain 'New' games weren't playable on the old hardware - if the current Switch got a Dock upgrade, allowing for 'New Switch' games to run in docked-only mode, no-one would get left behind...

Xbox's Phil Spencer shared a similar vision for the future of consoles - saying that these 'mid-generation evolutions' are necessary for consoles to keep pace with the rapidly advancing PC/mobile/tablet markets - but can be done in such a way as to not leave anyone behind either...I can see it happening with Switch, too, myself.

@BLP_Software I'm just sharing things as I see them - not trying to make anyone paranoid or anything!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ NSW ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently Playing (Online): Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 61, CB: A, RM: A, SZ: A, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

NEStalgia

Why does this thread suddenly read like it's 8/23/2016?

NEStalgia

YummyHappyPills

@UmniKnight Well given this thread has been nothing but you going in circles for several pages and days I would appreciate it, as would many others, if we could, you know, move on? By the time either side changes their view, or you stop bringing it up, the Switch 3 will be out.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Twitter: @BritishPlaying

#NL Inklings Playlist: http://bit.ly/2DRgKFL

NL Inklings Discord: https://discord.gg/zTBBRRX

Twitch: http://bit.ly/2DO17vr

YouTube: http://bit.ly/2rArTSd

EvilLucario

A redesign is inevitable. The 360 had it, PS3, DS/3DS, PSP/Vita, XB1/PS4, even the Wii had a slight redesign with the Wii Mini. Only the Wii U didn't get one, but it was also failing so it makes sense why. And redesigns tended to be more powerful, but in the case of the DS to the DSi, it was very incremental. Sure, you have your PS4 Pros and the like and it's not out of the question to have a "Switch XL", but the base hardware is still going to be supported fine.

@UmniKnight They could add some stuff like USB support for hard drives to plug into the dock and more to make it more lucrative, sure, but as it stands the draw of playing what used to be portable-only games on the TV or just playing on the TV period is also a big deal to some people. There's still a market for console-like experiences, and keeping the console part intact entices third-parties even more. So I think the dock is in a good position as it stands, though some minor additions wouldn't hurt.

Ryu_Niiyama

Anybody else getting the pokken demo? I don't need it as I played the original but I gave my wiiu copy away as soon as the switch version was announced.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

MFD

@BLP_Software Very well, even if it does fit as it's about the Switch's core concept, I'll give it a rest.

MFD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic