Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,661 to 17,680 of 69,997

MFD

@skywake I'll refer you to ProJared, at the point when he said that "The Switch is the least "Nintendo console" that Nintendo has made to date" and you can argue with him from there.

@JaxonH One last thing, I've accepted the Switch for what it was, thinking the dock is integral to the system as a whole, but as Rjejr pointed out ""Fact remains that it can't be called a Switch,"

um yeah, sure it can. Have you watched any of the Japanese Switch commercials? They almost never show the Switch in the dock, it switches between 1 player in handheld mode and 2 or 4 player in tabletop mode. Ever notice how the Switch "click" sound is putting the joycon on and off? I'ts not about switching the tablet in and out of the dock, it's about switching between a 1 player and a 2 player mini-monitor w/ 2 controllers. It's the controllers that switch on and off, from 1 player to 2, it has nothing to do with the TV.

They probably just refer to the dock in Japan as the charging cradle."

That speaks for itself.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

KirbyTheVampire

This argument is pointless. What kind of gaming system a person likes is entirely subjective. Some people want a powerhouse, while others love the hybrid concept. Who cares? The Switch is what it is, so take it or leave it.

KirbyTheVampire

Grumblevolcano

You know what, we actually have more evidence for a Nintendo Direct week than the LA Noire leaker. The EGX 2017 lineup, don't you think it's a bit suspicious that Xenoblade 2 isn't there?

Seriously, here's the list for Nintendo's Switch games at EGX this year (21st-24th September):

• MK8 Deluxe (tournament)
  • ARMS (tournament)
  • Splatoon 2 (tournament and free play)
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Pokken DX (tournament)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Super Mario Odyssey

So pretty much every major Switch 2017 game except BotW (reasonable given it's a single player game that's over 6 months old) and Xenoblade 2 (a new game which supposedly coming out this year).

So, I think either the Direct will announce a Xenoblade 2 delay or it'll announce new Switch stuff and that stuff along with Xenoblade 2 will be added to the EGX lineup (Nintendo likes to make late EGX reveals).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Samus7Killer

I just want games. More Original games and less ports. These arguments are wasting too much time.

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

MFD

@KirbyTheVampire I'd have never bothered with this argument, if it weren't for the Switch having such beloved IP. The only reason I argue this, is because I fear the system will truly end up handheld only one day, and that would put an end to enjoyable moments with a good pro-controller.

But very well, let's put it to rest here.

MFD

MFD

@Grumblevolcano We still don't have a Skyrim release date, which could arguably be in such a direct.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
No, that was hogwash when rjejr said it and it's still hogwash now.

The Switch "click" from the commercials all happens when the system pushes into the dock. Not from the joycons. The Joycons make the sound as you take them off to use as a home console, OR in tabletop as a Portable console. But rjejr just pulled that nonsense out of thin air.

But regardless, that's marketing. Spin. The bare naked truth is you cannot label this system and tuck it nicely away into a category. What rjejr said that wasn't hogwash, was that it's a tribrid. Home console, handheld and portable console.

And that's what matters. Not their commercials, not the sound the joycon make, not what rjejr says... what matters is what it is and what it does. And it functions every bit as much as a home console as a handheld. Everybody wants to apply a single label to it to help push their argument. But you can't. It's a home console, handheld and portable console all in one... a tribrid. That's what it is. That's what it does. And all the spin in the world won't change that.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

UmniKnight wrote:

@skywake I'll refer you to ProJared, at the point when he said that "The Switch is the least Nintendo console has made to date" and you can argue with him from there.

I was trying to find this quote in context but I can't. Also when I looked him up and found his video review he spent the entire time praising the portable nature of the system. I'm not convinced you and him are on the same page. Frankly the only the times I have heard that sort of phrase used in regards to the Switch was when talking about how impressive the spec/finish is for a portable. Basically the reverse of your criticism.

In any case I don't care what someone else thinks. I'm on a forum arguing against your points not theirs. Think for yourself. What about the Switch's concept and portable nature goes against what Nintendo has always done? The Switch is a console that sacrifices specs for design, portability and a concept. It blurs the line between portable gaming and home console gaming. And it does so despite some sections of the community begging them to just be like everyone else.

The Switch concept is textbook Nintendo.

UmniKnight wrote:

But very well, let's put it to rest here.

Folks, this is internet argument speak for "I was wrong"

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

@UmniKnight I do expect a Skyrim release date if this Direct next week is real. Xenoblade 2 is just a more likely reason for this Direct to exist given I'd imagine Bethesda has control over Skyrim Switch announcements.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MFD

@JaxonH I'll be 100% frank with you, I usually just tend to play my games and not care either way, but I get in over my head in discussions. I just don't want the enjoyable moments that involve a good pro-controller and a nice TV to be a thing of the past, because the Switch sells on account of it's handheld hype. I sit at home most of my days, due to my complex situation, and a good game is the only solace I have. I've stopped playing my 3DS entirely, because of the cramped controls, and the weakness of the system began to show in more recent games (I do love me some frame-drops in Pokemon SOS battles, or some frame-plunges when a horde of Koffing show up in the previous).

When push comes to shove, what matters is whether the games you play are fun, but how things control is a big part of that. I've got nail-marks into that extra right-semi stick thingy on my new 3DS XL, trying to get the camera to move in MH Generations, which is why I hunger for an experience that involves a nice controller. The reason why hardware would matter, is because it can make frame-drops a thing of the past when utilized correctly. Those freezes in Mario + Rabbids, albeit they didn't stop me, very much were there, and I think I've had about 15-20 if not far more during my 100% playthrough of the game. Would that have been resolved with stronger hardware?

MFD

MFD

@skywake That is internet argument speak for "I know when to quit". I also don't like a under-the-belt that way, prefer you don't next time, eh?

Edited on by MFD

MFD

MFD

@skywake If that's what makes you happy, you can keep it. It's far too damn late for such shenanigans.

That felt as a jab to me in a way of "giving up" on the conversation, for the record.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

skywake

As I said earlier, I don't think anyone was at any point arguing with you. You can't argue with someone who refuses to even acknowledge other people in the thread. But in any case the point remains. The Switch concept is very much part of Nintendo's roadmap and has been for decades. I genuinely think that they were being telling the truth when they mentioned this in the Switch reveal presentation.

Whine about portables all you want, Nintendo has never wanted two platforms. The tethered to the wall version of the home console was always going to be the loser in that battle. The only thing I'm surprised about is that they managed to pull it off as early as they did.

Edited on by skywake

MFD

@skywake So you're saying to accept the inevitable transition to handheld? Gotcha, going to bed now, far too late for this crap.

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight

Two things.

1 Switch is selling on account of it's handheld + console functionality. Not handheld. Not console. But handheld + console. That will never go away.

2 Performance issues will never go away. It's why PS4 and X1 games still experience the same thing. Not to mention, if it had more power it couldn't still be a hybrid, which means it likely wouldn't be popular which means devs wouldn't even be bringing their games in the first place.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

UmniKnight wrote:

So you're saying to accept the inevitable transition to handheld?

For the benefit of the thread discussion more than for you, to be blunt? Yes. And not just from Nintendo but across the board. There's only so much you can push horsepower before people won't care anymore. Eventually you have to go smaller rather than more powerful. They're all going to head down this road.

Nintendo have definitely put their neck out a bit buy being the first. They're doing that because this is what they've always wanted their console to be. They're doing it despite everyone saying they're wrong because that's what Nintendo has always done. But in ten years when a future version of Tegra can easily drive a 4K display without skipping a beat? I highly doubt Nintendo will be alone. Because at that point there's little reason for the hardware not to be portable.

Optical media will die and at the same time traditional home consoles will suffer the same fate. This is what the future of console gaming will be. So yes, accept the inevitable transition to consoles that aren't tied to your TV. And accept that as the tech improves the negatives of that transition are going to disappear into nothing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic