Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,641 to 17,660 of 69,981

Grumblevolcano

@Hieronymus-E Reggie's comment about holiday Switch stock doesn't give me confidence Switch stock will be any better than SNES Classic stock. Both will be extremely hard to find from around November.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MFD

@JaxonH Hmph, what a way to look at it. Nintendo started on home-consoles, or did you forget that, handheldy? I should be grateful that Nintendo chooses to preserve and continue their own legacy? I'd nearly call you arrogant for that. Everyone else loves the hybrid? I'm sure there are more people who don't, take Sligare for example, oh but of course, you'll discredit him for a troll or so right?

It's a sad thing that Nintendo is still in the hardware business, since if they were third-party, then people wouldn't be bound down to their hardware. They'd be free to choose whatever the F they pleased. Nintendo could make this super jacked up handheld you lot lose yourselves over at night, while other people can also have their slice.

Ah but no, we should all be content with the Switch, even if it's VERY CLEARLY biased towards one side over the other. And this is exactly why there's a clash of home-console vs handheld, because it was inevitable that people like you, and people like me, would be stuck to the same machine, like different parts of it, but see what is factually a handheld pretending to be something it isn't. And just so you're very well aware, it was sold to me as a home-console.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
What does it matter what they started with? But for the record, they were releasing handheld game devices long before NES.

Slig doesn't even own the console. Any criticism he has is automatically discounted on the fact he's biased in favor of Wii U anyways, but even if he wasn't, I take no one's criticism seriously if they don't even own the console they're criticizing, because they have no frame of reference or experience to speak from.

You can just keep on pissing and moaning about how you wish Nintendo did this and wish they did that, but too bad for you, because they're not 3rd party, and they're not making clone power consoles. Guess it sucks to be you.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MFD

@JaxonH Hah, how very much not your age "Guess it sucks to be you". I must be hitting the right tones for you to respond like that. I'll just take my dignity and sign off the moment the Switch inevitably transitions into a pure handheld, since that isn't what I signed up for. Again, the Switch was sold as a home-console, which isn't a handheld, hence my point about false advertising, but I'm sure you'll drum up a nice fanboy excuse for that as well. Go on, I've time aplenty.

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
Why wait? Sign off now and spare us all the headache...

And I believe it's me that has hit the right tone with you, because out comes the fanboy accusations. The system plays console games on a television out of the box with separate dedicated controllers.... Ergo>>> home console. Just because you've got some fantasy definition doesn't mean it's not a home console.

And I'm sure you do have time a plenty. In fact that's all you seem to have is time to complain and whine and bitch and moan. Gosh dang dude just sell your system and be done with it already I'm sick of hearing it

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight @JaxonH Guys, you just proved my point.

"Handheldy" "Sucks to be you". "Fanboys".

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

KirbyTheVampire

@UmniKnight It does look like a handheld, but what matters is how it functions, and it just so happens to function as both a handheld and a console, thus it's a hybrid. How it looks doesn't change that. That's completely rediculous.

I'm sure you'd be thinking differently if it could output 4K at 60 FPS, though. That's what seems to really matter to you.

KirbyTheVampire

Pazzo-TheFool

@Grumblevolcano

From this website:

"Certainly the demand is there, and our supply chain is there [to hit the 10 million goal]. Are we going to have enough for the holiday? That’s what we are focused on."

I don't know how many want Switches, but I'll guess more than they'll be able to sell. Based on this quote, stock may be saved for the holiday season.

Expect to see a jump larger than launch day.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Codemasters is.......keeping an eye on Switch

Nintendo Switch continues to perform well and is currently gearing up for its all-important first Christmas. Codemasters saw moderate success from the Wii versions of its earlier Formula One titles, so could the series make a return to Nintendo platforms?

"Obviously we've been watching how the Switch is performing and it's selling really well," says Mather. "It probably wouldn't be suitable to have exactly the same game we have running on Xbox One and PS4, but there's certainly the possibility we'll look at doing something on Switch. We'll see what happens in future. It's certainly getting the market share to make it a valid place to be."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-24-why-codemast...

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

skywake

UmniKnight wrote:

Hmph, what a way to look at it. Nintendo started on home-consoles, or did you forget that, handheldy? I should be grateful that Nintendo chooses to preserve and continue their own legacy? I'd nearly call you arrogant for that.

I know you're trying to get a rise out of people but surely you can't be that ignorant of Nintendo's portable history. To put it simply of the top 20 selling games on any platform of all time 7 are on Nintendo portables. Of the top 10 best selling consoles of all time four are Nintendo portables and only one is a Nintendo home console. To ram the point home if you were to rank just Nintendo consoles on sales you'd get this, portables in bold:

1. Nintendo DS
2. Gameboy
3. Wii
4. GBA
5. 3DS
6. NES
7. SNES
8. N64
9. Gamecube
10. Wii U

If Nintendo's home console legacy is so much more important than their portable legacy why didn't people buy the Wii U? Why didn't people buy the Gamecube? Why are Nintendo's fortunes changing on the back of a home console that makes a point of limiting itself in order to be portable?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MFD

@JaxonH Nintendo's IP that I so enjoy won't be moving anywhere, so as I've said before: I'm stuck to it. But I'll give it a rest here, since this isn't going anywhere proper anyhow.

@KirbyTheVampire Hah, I don't even have a 4K TV, and what matters more is stable frame-rate. I've never really given much thought to such things, other than frame-rate, because I know what it's like to have no frames in an MMO, and I value it being steady and preferably high, because it is immersion-breaking to go around with your Stasis + rune in BotW, and see the dips like a bobbing rubber-duck in a bath.

I'd simply like to see that traditional way of playing sticking around, not disappear into thin air since that's how I've enjoyed my Nintendo games the most. A handheld doesn't accommodate for that.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Grumblevolcano

@UmniKnight Switch is still more powerful than Wii U though so a way you could look at it is that even if there was no handheld functionality that would've still been the power of the system judging by the direction Nintendo went with the Wii and Wii U. So between a hybrid or a home console only with the same power, it's obvious that one would go with the hybrid as the only advantage the home console only method has is using discs instead of cartridges (i.e. removing the Switch tax).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

KirbyTheVampire

@UmniKnight While BoTW could be framey at times, the fact that it was built for the Wii U had a lot to do with that, not to mention the limited amount of time they had to make a Switch version.

I have no doubt that if BoTW was made for the Switch right from the start, it would have a consistent 30 FPS, or at least really close. Besides, just look at Mario Odyssey. The game is large, gorgeous, and runs almost constantly at 60 FPS. It might even end up being a rock solid 60 FPS by the time it's released.

And I don't know what you mean by the Switch not accommodating your playstyle. It works exactly like a console if you want to play that way, and it's more powerful than any of their previous consoles.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

MFD

@KirbyTheVampire Rabbids is so far the best example, as it's the first ground-up original game so far I'm aware. (That isn't technically a port, or can be seen as an expansion *Splatoon 2 and such). I don't know what's wrong with that game, but those freezes are not doing it any favours. So far I've yet to play a game on the Switch that ran without any issues, save for MK8D, but then I've not played that long enough to really know.

MFD

MFD

@Grumblevolcano I know, Nintendo hasn't played the power game since they've screwed up their chances and gave Sony/MS the permanent lead on them with the Gamecube and it's mini-disks.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

skywake

UmniKnight wrote:

I'd simply like to see that traditional way of playing sticking around, not disappear into thin air since that's how I've enjoyed my Nintendo games the most. A handheld doesn't accommodate for that.

Did you ever consider the possibility that the Switch is the console Nintendo always wanted to make? That those so-called "traditional" home and portable console categories only existed because the technology wasn't there yet. Take Nintendo out of your rigid 90s definition of what you think they are for just a second. In terms of tech what has Nintendo has gained a reputation for over the years?

1. They have always been super reluctant to use optical media
They famously went for cartridges on the N64 because they didn't like the idea of discs. A similar thing happened again with the DS vs PSP but this time it was Sony jumping the gun. And even with the Gamecube they made a point of using smaller disks just so it could be a little bit more portable

2. They have a history of not caring at all about horsepower
Ok, fanboys like to relive the days of the pre-Wii Nintendo home console. But since the Wii Nintendo hasn't really cared about pushing horsepower. And in their portable line they have always been more than happy to be well behind the curve for the sake of battery life.

3. They have a history of trying to merge their two platform tiers
The Wii U is obvious and the Switch is just an evolution of that idea. But even on the N64 they were pushing the idea of linking a portable release to a home console release. Pokemon Stadium being the obvious one. But even on the Gamecube they spend a huge amount of E3 2003 on the idea despite it being super impractical

Edited on by skywake

MFD

@skywake I'm not seeing what kind of response you want from me here.

MFD

Pazzo-TheFool

Think of Nintendo as the Apple of gaming. I have a console and a handheld/phone. Who wants a console that's also a portable when it's going to be less powerful?

You do.

Edited on by Pazzo-TheFool

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

MFD

@Hieronymus-E You don't have even close to a clue as to who I am if you think that. I play my 3DS because that's the cage that keeps it's games hostage, not because I love seeing the horribly outdated piece of tech croak under playing the games that are on it.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

skywake

UmniKnight wrote:

@skywake I'm not seeing what kind of response you want from me here.

Your claim was that the Switch is Nintendo somehow abandoning their home console heritage. My point is that the Switch is everything Nintendo has always been working towards despite people like you saying they were wrong. The Switch is the most Nintendo console Nintendo has ever made.

Frankly I want to you concede that you were wrong and take note of the points people are making. But this is the internet. I expect you to ignore everything, pretend that we are not making sense and continue on with your argument as if you were the only one talking.

Edited on by skywake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic