Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,681 to 17,700 of 69,981

skywake

To back my "this is where everything is going" point....

Obviously a full machine will always be able to do more. But when you can make it small and good enough why not make it portable? edit: Let me rephrase that. The spec possible on a non-portable machine will always be greater. But if you can get the desired spec on a portable machine you're not losing anything by going portable. /edit

As the spec possible on such a device continues to improve more stuff will be able to go down that road. I don't see how this is a crazy concept that people are struggling to get their heads around.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Qwertyninty

@SLIGEACH_EIRE can't wait to see how left field and not even close to what people want and would expect their system is going to be.

Qwertyninty

GrailUK

@Samus7Killer Heya Mr Killer. I get the app is a tad cumbersome, but why wouldn't the game work? (This is an honest question not a juvenile retort.)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Therad

UmniKnight wrote:

I just don't want the enjoyable moments that involve a good pro-controller and a nice TV to be a thing of the past, because the Switch sells on account of it's handheld hype.

I am sorry, but this is so paranoid it isn't funny. No one can take the dock and pro controller from you. Your current setup wouldn't change a bit
even if they would make an sku without the dock.

Think for a second, what is the worst thing that could happen?

That the next iteration of hardware would be handheld only? Wouldn't change the current hw at all.

That most games would suddenly shun buttons and sticks and only use the touchscreen? Didn't happen with the ds/3ds, doubt it happens now.

That we suddenly get an influx of android/iOS games that only works in handheld mode? Don't buy them. No one is forcing you. Besides this is just more games on the system, which is a good thing. The switch is also less portable than those devices. For example, Pokémon go is impossible to have on the switch since it lacks SIM slot and GPS.

But if you are still not confident in the future of the switch, vote with your wallet. Sell it and be done with it. It is better to do it now, before it becomes readily available in stock. I think that people in general should be more selective when they buy things. I don't buy the "support the company" argument, they should make a product I want. This is even more true when it comes to bigger companies.

Ps. And of course the Japanese commercials focus on the handheld part, handhelds have done better there historically.

Therad

skywake

The really stupid thing there is that a portable only SKU doesn't make any sense. Because if we used our brains we'd realise that a portable only Switch would basically be the Switch as it is. I mean what does that SKU not have that the Switch does other than the dock? Is selling the Switch without the dock really going to change what the Switch is? If you really want a portable only SKU put your dock on eBay.

At least with a home console only Switch you're selling an entirely different product. It seems a bit stupid to me if they were to go through all that R&D and then just ignore it entirely. But they could do it and it would be cheaper. No Screen, no battery and you could add in a 2.5" HDD for good measure. Though my gut feeling is that such a SKU would sit on the shelf given you're effectively killing the Switch's major point of difference. You'd also make it incompatible with any touch screen games.

Edited on by skywake

GrailUK

@skywake I reckon the next SKU for Switch will be a phone version. At the moment you have to plug your phone in for thje voice app, but a mobile phone / home console hybrid might make sense. Who knows where this 20 year NVidia partnership could go, but it is unlikely to just go down the path of raw horse power. It would open up some amazing AR opportunites which Reggie recently suggested. (Of course, it would be mega expensive so likely bought via a subscription from a phone company lol)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

@GrailUK
Well I was just saying that a home console SKU makes more sense than a portable SKU but that doesn't mean I think either is sensible. And a "phone" SKU to me seems a little bit too NGage to work. Remember that the Vita launched with and not long after discontinued a 3G SKU. I think people have already voted with their wallets enough times on that idea.

That's not to say that I don't think some revision down the road couldn't happen. I just think that if we were to get one it's more likely going to be something along the lines of a "New Switch" or a "Switch Pro".

Haru17

I really wish docking the Switch wouldn't automatically turn it on 100% of the time. Sometimes I'm playing in portable mode and just want to dock it to charge it for the night, not have to turn on the TV, switch the HDMI cable, and find the controller just to turn it off.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Grumblevolcano

@Haru17 This is why I bought a 2nd charger, so I have 1 charger for playing in docked mode and 1 charger for charging up the console when I'm not using it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

I really wish docking the Switch wouldn't automatically turn it on 100% of the time. Sometimes I'm playing in portable mode and just want to dock it to charge it for the night, not have to turn on the TV, switch the HDMI cable, and find the controller just to turn it off.

If you put it in standby mode first it doesn't.....

gcunit

skywake wrote:

@GrailUK
Well I was just saying that a home console SKU makes more sense than a portable SKU but that doesn't mean I think either is sensible. And a "phone" SKU to me seems a little bit too NGage to work. Remember that the Vita launched with and not long after discontinued a 3G SKU. I think people have already voted with their wallets enough times on that idea.

That's not to say that I don't think some revision down the road couldn't happen. I just think that if we were to get one it's more likely going to be something along the lines of a "New Switch" or a "Switch Pro".

This seems to be the prevailing attitude around here - 'Something similar was tried before and didn't take off, so it won't work'.

Does my head in. Nintendo tried the Virtual Boy once, but it doesn't mean VR won't establish. Tech changes and cultural changes mean once 'bad' ideas can and do become good ideas further down the line.

In 20 years time, provided some catastrophic economic collapse doesn't occur, we will have seen a successful portable device combining smartphone functionality and 'core' gaming will have happened. Don't know when or who will do it, but it's inevitable.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

skywake

gcunit wrote:

This seems to be the prevailing attitude around here - 'Something similar was tried before and didn't take off, so it won't work'. Does my head in. Nintendo tried the Virtual Boy once, but it doesn't mean VR won't establish. Tech changes and cultural changes mean once 'bad' ideas can and do become good ideas further down the line.

We're not talking about an idea that is bad because the technology isn't there and I don't know how culture is stopping people buying more phones. It's just an idea that misunderstands both devices.

A smartphone is at its core a device of utility, it's a Swiss army knife of communication. If it loses its charge you're effectively cut-off from the world. If it doesn't have a full app library consumers will ignore it. Even worse for a newcomer there are already two well established players who's ecosystems people are already invested in. Basically the ideal smartphone is a multi-purpose, reliable, compact device with a huge battery

By comparison a console is a very single task orientated entertainment device. They're devices that by design push the CPU/GPU hard and therefore chew through your battery. They also heavily restrict what can run in the background in order to maximise performance for the game itself. They're devices that have super locked down app stores in an effort to avoid the piracy of software. So their app stores by design can't have everything. And ontop of all that they need a comfortable grip and full array of buttons and triggers which adds bulk.

The only way a "gaming phone" makes sense is if it's just a regular console with mobile connectivity. The issue there is that if you have a smartphone you can tether your console to your smartphone. A 4G enabled portable console is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. A Nintendo-phone would be a downgrade.

Edited on by skywake

Haruki_NLI

I wake up and the same fight over what it is, isnt and all that is raging on. Come on guys. Really?

@JaxonH the click noise only happens when attaching the JoyCon to the system not when docking the system

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano I think XC2 wont be there because its XC2 + UK. This a place where I could play XCX and be asked "What is that K-pop trash" by everyone around me. XC isnt a hit over here and probably never will be so they are wiser to tailor what they show to who.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

MFD

@BLP_Software Interesting. You'd think that The Netherlands would have the same kind of attitude, but funnily enough Fire Emblem: Awakening was on the top of the 3DS charts when it launched for quite some time. I personally don't much like how they've designed Pyra and that Hikari character, but that's a personal thing. I've seen enough complaining over like-wise looking characters to last me 10 lifetimes.

MFD

MFD

For those interested, Nintendo has opened a Skyrim teaser site: http://skyrim.nintendo.com/

Interesting to note that it's Nintendo opening it, and not Bethesda.

Edit: I also am not going to give another response the previous argument, since it's quite clear people are getting annoyed over it.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

LuckyLand

@Therad Because (imho) achievements are useless trash that fill the system and bothers those (like myself) who don't care about it with useless and pointless in game messages and data shoved down your throath that you cannot avoid by any means even if you find it stupid and pointless.
@UmniKnight I can't wait for this game!!!

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic