Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,361 to 17,380 of 69,981

The64Master

Well good night guys. It was great having this discussion. Talk to you tomorrow.

Untitled

The64Master

Switch Friend Code: SW-1498-9388-5099 | My Nintendo: The8BitWiz | Nintendo Network ID: ghostplaysgames

Grumblevolcano

DarthNocturnal wrote:

MegaTen wrote:

Heh, another significant comparison when it comes to filesizes (PS4):

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt Game of the Year Edition (which includes all the DLC): 42.23GB
DOOM: 47.34GB

How can a absolutely gigantic and highly detailed game like the former, have a smaller filesize than the latter? It's negligence on part of the developers.

Yeah... Halo 5 on XB1 is sitting around 90 GBs (granted, that after updates, but I don't think it was too much lower near the beginning). Meanwhile, other games that look just as nice (if not better, in their own ways), and with comparable amounts of content, are hitting 30-40...AFTER getting content updates/ expacs.

And I want to know why a new leader in Halo Wars 2 requires 5+ GBs of downloading... last I checked, models aren't THAT big (and a few might be modified from pre-existing units).

Basically it's sometimes easier for developers to force you to download a new build than add a small patch to an existing build. If you look at the memory space before and after the update, the difference is much smaller than the size of the update which means you're pretty much having an old build replaced by a new build.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Therad

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Joeynator3000 wrote:

...I consider 3D World a 3D Mario game, sooo...

I don't! It was still on rails similar to a 2d game. While I liked it more so then a straight up 2d game it still felt more 2d to me.

This is such a strange comment and feels very arbitrarily. Galaxy 1+2 is also very much on rails. Are those also 2D?

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Therad

2d and 3d are technical terms, they describe how you play. Then you can have more or less innovative entries in both series. I think for example that NSMB Wii was bounds better than 3d land.

Therad

Octane

I wouldn't mind a 2D spin-off of Odyssey with those 2D sections (like how Captain Toad got its own spin-off game after 3D World). It looks visually way more interesting than the NSMB games at least.

Untitled

Octane

electrolite77

@The64Master

I'd be happy with a Mario Maker that does similar to the 3DS game in packing in some high-quality single player levels.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Therad

Octane wrote:

I wouldn't mind a 2D spin-off of Odyssey with those 2D sections (like how Captain Toad got its own spin-off game after 3D World). It looks visually way more interesting than the NSMB games at least.

Untitled

That reminds me of one of the lemmings games. It worked as a game then, but that is a puzzle game though.

But I would rather have a new 2d game. I think 3d land, 3d world, nsmb U and nsmb2 felt lazy. No new art direction, barely any interesting power ups.

Therad

Octane

@Therad Well, I did mean a pure 2D game, no 3D sections. I just think it could be interesting if the 2D levels wrapped around 3D objects (kinda how Tropical Freeze had a few levels which felt more three-dimensional than the rest of the levels), for example a crack in the wall could be a real physical barrier. Of course, the levels would have to longer than the short section in Odyssey. From a visual point of view, it still retains some of that 8-bit nostalgia, but it also looks completely different from any of the recent 2D Mario games. Don't know what else they could do with 2D Mario to be honest...

Octane

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad Well, I did mean a pure 2D game, no 3D sections. I just think it could be interesting if the 2D levels wrapped around 3D objects (kinda how Tropical Freeze had a few levels which felt more three-dimensional than the rest of the levels), for example a crack in the wall could be a real physical barrier. Of course, the levels would have to longer than the short section in Odyssey. From a visual point of view, it still retains some of that 8-bit nostalgia, but it also looks completely different from any of the recent 2D Mario games. Don't know what else they could do with 2D Mario to be honest...

That sounds cool.

Therad

electrolite77

The64Master wrote:

@Spoony_Tech PlayStation fanboys refuse to accept the Switch's success. Sony is in rather big trouble, especially for being so stubborn to work with Microsoft and Nintendo. Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be getting along rather well. The arrogance of Sony really makes me want to sell my PS4 and SWITCH to Xbox. It's good to see that 2 game companies can agree with their differences and co-exist.

Last time I saw Switch discussed on Pushsquare it was pretty civilised. There was one rabidly anti-Switch poster (who also comments on NL in the same vein) but the others seed to own or want both.

Playstation ID - GJB77

Haruki_NLI

@electrolite77 Or they just ban discudsion of the competition. And complain if you mention it even when relevant.

Which NL doesnt do. Discuss the competition freely here. Weird dichotomy.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

StuTwo

I'm going to come out to bat for the "New" Super Mario Bros games here. Yes - the visual style is bland and they lack the sheer polish in the 3d Mario games but they are fantastic and they are far more than just the retreads of the classic games that many people seem to imply they are.

They are games that operate on multiple levels - aiming to satisfy those who just want to "finish" the game getting through and beating Bowser at the same time as aiming to satisfy those who want to beat every level, those who want to collect all 3 Star coins in each level and those who want to "ace" each level collecting all 3 Star coins in a single run. They offer something different to each type of player and ignore none of them which is a hard balancing act.

The controls are ultra tight and the level design is generally incredible. If you're good at the game then it's almost poetic how quickly and efficiently you can move through each level.

I'd rather see a greatly expanded version of Super Mario Maker with slopes, more environments, more power-ups (let's have the cat suit in 2d please!), more characters (Luigi and Peach please!), more enemies, vertical levels and Mario 2 USA but I loved every minute of NSMBU+NSLU and I think there's plenty more things they can do with Mario in 2d.

They'll never make everyone happy with a modern 2d Mario game because they must compromise between the disparate urges of Mario games but I think they're good compromises.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Zyrac

I think the visual repetitiveness is the biggest problem with NSMB. When you have games that look largely the same and retread the same world themes over and over, they will naturally run together in people's minds, giving the impression of a series being driven into the ground. Just letting Mario go to genuinely different places would be a real breath of fresh air even if it didn't affect the gameplay that much. It's okay to keep using a formula that works, but you have to take steps to make each instalment memorable. Kirby: Planet Robobot is a good example of how to pull that off.

Zyrac

Twitter:

electrolite77

Spoony_Tech wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

People were practically foaming at the mouth to see Switch fail.

Sadly most of those people are Wii U owners. Some of them still think the Switch will fail.

Yeah there's a bit of that and it's pretty sad. There's one poster, Jimi I think? He's absolutely convinced Wii U was the best thing ever, that Iwata was a God and Nintendo under him were virtually a charity so he hates the Switch.

A lot of the chief critics are more upset with what it isn't than what it is i.e. it isn't the PS4-beating home Console loaded with Western AAA's they expected. Ignore how unlikely that was, ignore that it would mean either Nintendo struggling to support two machines or leaving the handheld market where they always do better, ignore the strength of the three competitors in that market offering good machines with a healthy diet of AAA's, ignore the likelihood of such a machine succeeding. They wanted that and will scweam and scweam until they are sick about not getting it.

They even project the reasons they don't like it and turn them into the 'reasons it will fail'. That video I linked covers the myopia among some that a machine has to have the big Western publishers on board to succeed. It doesn't matter that the Switch hits a sweet spot and does what it was intended to do extremely well, it isn't what they believe they were entitled to.

Playstation ID - GJB77

electrolite77

@BLP_Software

Mods there have handed out bans for it? Wow. Last time I saw Switch mentioned was a Japanese sales thread and it was all fine.

Playstation ID - GJB77

Haruki_NLI

@electrolite77 Im unaware of any official bans but they get arsey. Even had Sammy be frustrated and direct me here and they have at times threatened warnings and bans.

Theyve gone from talking about it to pretending it doesnt exist and shutting you up. Same for Xbox.

Meanwhile here, you can say youre jumping ship or prefer this about x system and it gets a usually healthy discussion. But over there one guy mentioned he was considering jumping ship to Xbox after not being satisfied, and they shut him up!

skywake

I know the topic has moved on but....

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

What are the read speed's of a Switch cartridge? It would be interesting to know.

As a rough estimate based on load-time comparisons it's probably between around 50MB/s and 100MB/s. For comparison a typical BluRay style ODD (i.e. Wii U/XBOne/PS4) sits at around 25MB/s. Exactly how much faster isn't clear but it really doesn't matter. Games on the PS4/XBOne/Wii U have data packs and installs because optical media is much slower than a typical HDD (~85MB/s). The same isn't true for the Switch.

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

The maximum size of a Switch cartridge is 32GB. Nintendo probably would release a patch to allow bigger sizes. And what would be the next size up? I'd imagine it would be 64GB? But could they go say to 48GB?

Probably 64GB but I highly doubt they'd need to release a patch to support it. If they're able to do it then they'll just be able to do it. It should be noted though that the PS4 and XBOne disks can't be bigger than 50GB. I'm not sure that the Switch theoretically having 64GB as an option is a disadvantage.

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

And then there's the cost, would a jump from 32GB to 64GB in terms of cost be like the jump from 128GB to 256GB in Micro SD cards?.

Maybe, it depends. Prices for tech generally follow a similar curve whatever it is. The lowest spec stuff all comes in at more or less the same price because your paying for the package as much as the spec. Then as the spec ramps up you get to the point where 2x more costs 2x as much. Eventually you get to the limits of what is available and 2x more costs 10x as much.

But the thing about that price curve is that it's constantly on the move. In a handful of years we might be having this same discussion about 128GB Switch cartridges and 1TB microSD cards.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

OorWullie

@BLP_Software I don't check there that often but I've noticed a couple of instances myself of Sammy or Robert getting ratty when the Switch is brought up.Would Tom or Damo jump in like that if some of us were discussing other consoles under an article?No they wouldn't.!Overall,it does seem like a good community though,just different.

Eurogamer can be bad,all the top rated comments after the Switch presentation were negative.The top one being "yeah,DOA" along with some other "confident" predictions that never happened.I've also noticed a lot of comments under various Switch articles that would get voted up on NL but are voted down there,probably by those same people who got it badly wrong.It does seem to be a more positive place now though.

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

Haruki_NLI

@OorWullie This is going to be a weird comment but "Like father, like son". When Sony doesnt want to play nice with others, the boys wont either. Oh well. It can be a nice community its just very rough if you arent Sony only.

Hell their constant mockery of Sonic is a bit grating, and they openly admit they enjoy trolling FF fans. And who can forget Sammy and his constant "Weebs are ruining games" on there or Twitter? Lest we forget Sony is Japanese of course.

It can be a nice community but I think the reason its smaller, and having talked to mods, most bans are there from one or two guys for frivolous reasons, is because you simply cant have the same freedom of discussion. Yes its a Sony focused site. NL is a Nintendo site.

Yet how does one manage to promote healthier gaming wide discussion than the other when one is focused on the market leader in console gaming?

I find it very hard to go there, I wont lie. There was even a comment made in a recent Sonic Forces article (In the actual article, not the comments section!), that basically labelled me, and my girlfriend, as something negative because of one insignificant aspect of our lives. Damn right I called them out on it.

Thats the kind of community they are. And sometimes we even see mental gymnastics over there that would make Olympians proud. Its not the worst community but its very hard to be yourself.

And seriously. Attacking groups in an article or comments is never on.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic