Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 16,441 to 16,460 of 69,997

BigBadJohn

@UmniKnight when di Nintendo lie to you. The reveal and in fact every trailer since launch has showed it being used both docked and handheld. They've marketed it as what it is... a hybrid.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

MFD

@electrolite77 Oh yeah no, as a handheld, the Switch is the living god among regulars, and a true marvel. But as a home-console? Compared to the others? Eh... The best thing the handheld part can do for the home-console only users is bring in more people, hence more install-base, hence more games.

MFD

MFD

@BLP_Software It's not of that "because" it's that what just about every place of Switch news gives me. All I see, is people talking about how they use it handheld, see it as a handheld, and wonder why it has a dock. Any surprise I feel like a minority user about to be discarded?

MFD

MFD

@BigBadJohn Perhaps not lied, but they're playing very loosely with the term "home-console" as it stacks up for the worse, if not far worse in contrast to the others. For some, handheld is the reason for purchase. For me, it's an unwanted feature that has had many sacrifices come to pass to accommodate it.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Octane

BLP_Software wrote:

Another: Snake Pass: 475p 30fps handheld. 675p 30fps docked

What happened here?

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight Well...you aren't a minority user.

Allow me to explain something.

It has always been marketed as a home console you can take on the go.

Did you miss the key word?

A home console you can take on the go.

One more time, so you get it. A home you console you can take on the go.

Hint, for the uninformed: CAN. Optional. It is a choice. A choice, you make, to suit your life, that works for you. People will choose what is best for them. The entire ethos is in the slogan.

Anytime, anywhere, with anyone. Switch and play. You decide how it is used. They don't. They made a device for everyone, with many use cases, all of which have merit. Its up to you, as an individual, to decide what that is for you.

For you and many, many others, believe me, it is a home console. Myself included. I use it 75% docked. For some it is more of a handheld. Back when I was at university, and thus travelling, handheld it was, because that use case fit my life at the time. Now, its more of a home console, but I don't need to buy a second device for that privilege.

You, are not a minority. You own a Switch. You play it how you want. But that doesn't mean you are special or the only one because believe me you are not. You wont be discarded or thrown away.

Besides, wasn't your argument about whether or not it has value as a home console? Now it seems to be about your insecurity and buyers remorse.

I will also add humanity has issues with categories. Everything needs to fit in a box. Exams do that in school. Put you in a box. Genres, are a box. Different kinds of media, are a limiting box. Hell, cars are diesel, petrol, electric. Categories. They all fit neatly into a little box.

But hybrid cars? Remember the uproar there. Its not one or the other, so what is it? The concept of hybrids is hard to get around because it doesn't fit a pre-conceived arbitrary box. To humans that is maddening. Everything needs a definitive label and whenever a new label comes that people don't understand or messes up their current systems of categorising everything, they rebel.

The Switch is a hybrid. It is a choice. How you use the controllers, is a choice, based on you, as an individual. Whether the system is a handheld or not, is down to how you as an individual use it. Whether the games are handheld or home console style experiences and your enjoyment of them, is again, down to you. Some games in my library feel far superior as short handheld experiences. But they also don't feel out of place on a TV. It doesn't fit a category because it is a hybrid.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Snake Pass was ported before official Switch support was integrated into UE4 in May. I don't even think it was in beta at that time.

IceClimbers

@Qwertyninty Hard to say. At the very least we can probably expect a release date for the Better Together update for Minecraft.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers Yeah, I'd be surprised if Minecraft isn't at the Xbox Gamescom event tomorrow.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MFD

@BLP_Software My conundrum is that, as a pure home-console, the Switch could've done quite a bit more. And again, it doesn't stack up that well compared to other home-consoles (PS4/Xbox One) now does it?

If it didn't have Nintendo IP that are so annoyingly near-and-dear to my heart, I would've had a PS4 Slim by now.

MFD

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight It doesnt stack up because thats not what it is.

Again, youre putting it in a box because you wont accept there are more labels than you think.

Console. Portable. Hybrid. It could have done more but it would at that point be another home console in that box. Such a move is illogical for Nintendo and the industry.

I suggest you buy a PS4 and be happy. But remember it fits only into one category. You domt get the freedom of choice but that may be better for you.

KirbyTheVampire

@UmniKnight Nintendo consoles haven't gone for power since the Gamecube, and they stopped having good third party support since the SNES. Not sure what you were expecting.

Nintendo games don't tend to demand a lot of power, anyway.

KirbyTheVampire

MFD

@BLP_Software I've started enjoying Nintendo during the SNES era, and too many franchises that are theirs exclusively have their hooks in me. That's been a problem of Nintendo's for quite some time: Want their franchises? Buy their machine, you've got no choice.

@KirbyTheVampire Yeah, I guess the Switch's success got me to think things were going to change for once.

MFD

TuVictus

I think people are tyring too hard to put the console in a home console or handheld camp. But the point is, they still have teams for 3DS games (apparently), and teams for Switch games. Nintendo themselves treat the Switch as a home console experience, just one that you can take on the go. Wonderful little niche it put itself into, I'm loving it

TuVictus

MFD

@Operative2-0 That's the thing, I'm going by what Nintendo themselves figures is the Switch's camp, which puts it in line to be compared with the PS4/Xbox One.

If they'd have actively marketed it as a hybrid, or people didn't look at the form-factor, and that the dock is but extra fluff, I would've believed it.

MFD

electrolite77

@UmniKnight

Its a Handheld and a home Console. It's born out of reality, which is Nintendo can't support two systems. In three of the last four generations their home Console has suffered in terms of software and sales. So if they can only support one (which is true), it would obviously be a handheld. Except in the case of the Switch they've found a way for it to be both.

As a dedicated gaming handheld it has a market all to itself. As a home Console it achieves a significant goal in that it's the most powerful Nintendo home console ever. It doesn't match up to PS4 because it isn't looking to compete with PS4 or Xbox. What would be the point? That market is saturated. It's cold hard business logic, but Switch hits all the sweet spots Nintendo were looking for.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

MFD

@BLP_Software Also, you asked me to look at what I wanted out of the Switch, and sure, I'm enjoying the games on it, with more to look forward to, but I also look to the future. And in business, the majority is the one that gets the say, that has the ear of the company and is the one that gets their whims catered to, since that's what makes them money.

I was under the firm impression that handheld dominated home-console in the Switch, and that it was but a matter of time before favouritism would materialize and we'd see handheld-only games appear that didn't use the touch-screen out of core gameplay mechanic. I'm still not certain Nintendo won't drop the home-console part at one point in favour of handheld, since that seems to be what sells the Switch right now.

MFD

electrolite77

@UmniKnight

"Perhaps not lied, but they're playing very loosely with the term "home-console" as it stacks up for the worse, if not far worse in contrast to the others".

They're not playing anything. It's a home Console. Being less powerful is irrelevant. If they'd have promised a Console more powerful than all the competition the. They'd have lied but they've never even come close to that. The whole sales pitch is a 'home Console you can take on the go' which it is.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

MFD

@electrolite77 Let's take public perception as handheld for granted for a moment, how would it then fare in that case?

MFD

StuTwo

@UmniKnight The Switch is a device that plays new, highly polished, large in scope and scale, high budget video games at fidelities that aren't removed from the expectations of the majority of people in the market.

Handheld or console doesn't matter any more - in the same way that it doesn't matter if the iPad is a keyboard less laptop or a big phone.

Switch is more intriguing to the media as a handheld because it offers some things out of the box that no other handheld ever has. Namely the uncompromised support of all of the best studios of a big first party and local multiplayer on a single system.

As a pure 'traditional home console' it still offers something different however. It has a focus on family friendly games and couch multiplayer games that means it's library is already distinct from that of the PS4 and XBox One.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic