Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 16,461 to 16,480 of 69,963

MFD

@StuTwo So as a home-console, it offers games, which are on every other medium as well. Again, the only way handheld helps home-console in Switch, is with games, otherwise it's nothing but a sacrifice.

The other thing it offers, and I've seen no-one mention, is a homogenized online playerbase that isn't split between handheld and home-console due to it being both.

MFD

StuTwo

@UmniKnight it's not quite nothing but a sacrifice vs other home consoles. In part because everyone has 2 controllers in the box (even though they may be 'at a pinch') and because all of those controllers are motion controllers it is a more natural home for couch multiplayer.

As you've pointed out it increases the user base for online games but having millions of users who see the Switch as a handheld also benefits those who only ever use it as a home console.

A user base of that size basically guarantees that Switch ports are a. much more likely to happen and b. much more likely to be prioritised.

A game like Rocket League for instance would have skipped Wii U but it's coming to Switch. Millions of handheld users might be the bait to get it there but anyone who only plays on the TV will also benefit.

Of course the big thing the Switch offers is a home for the kinds of games that were released on Wii U by Nintendo themselves. Those games won't be available on any other format going forwards (& nor could Nintendo put them anywhere else without blowing a hole in the business model that makes their development possible).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

MFD

@StuTwo I suppose at the end of the day, what truly matters is said games. But then we come to the third-party offering, and how Nintendo has always struggled securing that. I've seen a lot of people get annoyed over all the "Water-testing".

MFD

Ralizah

UmniKnight wrote:

@Ralizah Versatility sacrifices to miss many multiplat games, have lesser specs, and be stuck with cartridges. A devil's due that is already haunting it by every game that confirms skipping the system.

Or a 1080 display that clips with one's TV, like Fate/Extella does with mine. Also you can't call it a hybrid, because it doesn't stack up to other home-consoles in that department, yet beats every other handheld out there. Ergo handheld.

Nothing wrong with cartridges. They're smaller and more efficient than blu-rays (which is likely why you still have to install PS4/Xbone games on the HDD before you're even able to play them).

Also, in fairness, we have PS4s, Xbones, AND PCs that are primarily geared toward playing multiplats with beefy hardware requirements. What's the sense in Nintendo making a console that is just a replica of what everyone else is doing when it can leverage its strengths as a developer of handheld systems to create a unique system that be be played anywhere and in multiple configurations? If you want to play multiplats, go buy a PS4.

Wii U's hardware stacked up even worse against the PS4/Xbone. So, by your logic, that's not a console either? Again, your argument makes no sense. It's clearly a hybrid as it can be played as both a home console AND an underclocked portable console.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

MFD

@Ralizah I'm sure you're well aware of how many people are stuck in the conundrum of not having enough income to properly support both a PS4 and a Switch, or any 2 consoles for that matter, plus the fact that they'd like Nintendo's games and the third-party's offering.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Ralizah

@UmniKnight You not having enough money to afford everything you want isn't a good argument for Nintendo to ape the competition when they can do something unique and special with their hardware.

We already have three beefy stationary systems on the market that play mostly the same games. There is only one system out there for people who want more versatility from their gaming hardware. And, based on sales so far, this was an excellent choice.

MFD

@Ralizah Oh that's true, also I wasn't talking about my personal situation. I can get a PS4 if I so desire, but it doesn't have Nintendo IP, and I have some very strong attachments to those.

I get that over-saturation is a thing, ach nvm. You probably won't feel the same way I having red about every game not coming for whatever reason (and all the water-testing etc). I get that it comes from Wii-U, but it weighs on you to have that thrown in your face all the time.

MFD

Ralizah

@UmniKnight Oh, I totally get the frustration, and I even own a PS4 if I want to play those sorts of games.

Here's the thing: while some games just won't play on the Switch due to power requirements (mostly big, AAA titles), most third-party games aren't announced for Switch because A) Nintendo has a strained history with most of the big third-party developers and B) the perception has existed for a long time that Nintendo fans don't buy third party games. Even if they released hardware that rivaled that of the Xbox One X, they would still have historical issues that kept a large number of third-party games from coming to their system.

Edited on by Ralizah

MFD

@Ralizah I know the situation, aye. I'd like to know how prevalent that "Nintendo system = for Nintendo games" really is among the Nintendo gamers, and how it's perceived by said third-parties.

So far, most third-party games have done well, so hopefully they'll come around soon, and the water-testing stops, since it seems most people are really annoyed over that in particular.

MFD

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight Nintendo gamers seem to be sick of being the whipping boy of the industry. So when third parties test the waters we buy it.

Problem is i doubt they will ever STOP testing the waters...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

MFD

@BLP_Software I feel you there. It's a cycle of wanting the other games they have, but them testing with a game you don't like, and yet you feel pressed to buy it to get a possibility, not even certainty, at further support. Very unfair, but at the same time it's accumulated over time and come to this. So yes, the question is, when is the testing enough? (not to mention all the missing features and cut content/game being lessened of those that DO make it over *Fifa 18 story mode, WWE 2K 6 chars on screen instead of 8, etc.)

I red Kimishima say there was more to expect once the Switch reaches 10 million units, and though I've been biting into that a little too hard, it's simply because I hope the Switch gets games just like the other systems do at some point or another... http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-77th-ann...

Amidst the storm of testing and games skipping the system, once has to dredge up a tiny puddle of hope somewhere, right?

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

Im not annoyed by developers testing the market. I certainly don't expect them to just blindly dump their entire portfolios on the platform without regard. They want to make sure there is demand for their games first, as they should. I can't reasonably expect them to start bringing games that nobody's going to buy.

Practically every third party game on the Wii U failed. Even the highest profile, exclusive, highly rated 3rd party entries like Bayonetta 2, which came with an entirely free game and exclusive Nintendo content... scraped just to hit 1 million sold. Excellent games that fit the market well- like Sonic Racing Transformed or Rayman Legends... they couldn't even sell half an million copies. despite being every bit as good as Mario Kart or NSMBU, which sold millions and millions.

So ya, third parties are going to be a little cautious. Nintendo gamers are tired of not getting the same support as other consoles? Well that's because Nintendo gamers don't show the same kind of support as other gamers. Things are definitely changing now though. The gamership on Wii U was absolutely horrid- that lot wouldn't buy a great game to save their life. But Switch owners? Switch owners seem to be buying up games. Which bodes well for future support. It won't get everything. I'm gonna have to play Monster Hunter World and Ni No Kuni elsewhere, for example... but 9 out of 10 of the games I want to play most... will be on the Switch. And I could complain that I have to own a separate console for those specific games, but to what end. If I have to own a separate console to play a few games I really, really love... then so be it.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MFD

@JaxonH Thing is, I won't buy games that I don't like just to show support. I will buy games that I do like, because I'm sure I'll enjoy them, and if they support, then all the better. But you can't expect people to buy into the water-testing, just so they can have a little plastic box with a game they'll never use, and a chance at more support (not even guarantee)

For example, I'll buy Xenoverse 2, because I want that game, and even then I'm going out of my way, since I could've bought it for 25 on the Steam summer sale, but I'm buying it 60 on Switch to show support, and be able to play with friends online. And that, considering I have a tight budget, only able to get 1, at most 2 games a month.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
Wait, hold up...

Who said anything about buying games they don't like just to show support?

I never said anything of the sort. Reading my comment over again.... nope. No idea where that was misconstrued from.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MFD

@JaxonH "Well that's because Nintendo gamers don't show the same kind of support as other gamers."

Not buying the test-water games could easily have the one selling them think this. Hence implying we should buy these games no matter what, if only to have this support-base created.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Grumblevolcano

Whatever Nintendo does it will always be best if possible to own at least 1 non-Nintendo console. Anyway if Nintendo decided to instead of Switch create a PS4/XB1 clone, it would've had the same situation as the Wii U because about a year after launch (8 months this time) it would've been severely underpowered compared to the competition (XB1X).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
No, people should buy the game if they want it, and not buy it if they don't want it. And if not enough people buy it then there's just not enough demand on the system and they shouldn't bring any further games. Can't very well complain about not getting games when there's not enough people interested to support said games. And if not enough people buy those test games, I guarantee you the one selling them will think that. As will I.

@Grumblevolcano
Even if it wasn't still underpowered, power was never the deciding factor. It would've had the same situation as Wii U simply because no third parties would be supporting it (it doesn't matter what Nintendo released, there is no scenario in which third parties were going to be on board day one). And because it would offer absolutely nothing different than the other consuls but a whole heck of a lot less... only Nintendo fans would've purchased it. As a result third parties would've continued avoiding the console, and the cycle would've repeated. But by creating something different, Nintendo managed to get people interested despite not having the third party games. Which got more people than just the fans buying one, Which is now leading to increased third-party support which will in turn lead to more people buying it, and the cycle is broken.

Switch was the only legitimate play they had left.

MFD

@JaxonH But to hinge your entire IP library on just 1 particular type of game? That's madness. Not to mention highly unfair. I mean, I couldn't give less of a rat's behind about Fifa, but Bioware (was under EA if I remember) has games I'd try, like Dragon Age.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
If that one particular game is the best selling game they have, then if even that game can't sell then none of the other games stand a chance.

That said, nobody completely hinges their decision on one game. They might tell you that's what they're doing because you'll believe them. But it doesn't matter if it's their game or someone else's- they are looking at all software sales on the platform, their own included. If 9/10 3rd party games are selling well, but one game does not, they'll likely investigate as to why it didn't meet expectations when every other game has. But if their game doesn't sell well and half the other games on the system aren't selling well, that's all they need to pack their bags for a year or two and revisit down the line when the install base is larger.

Edited on by JaxonH

MFD

@JaxonH So then, what's your take on how third-parties are currently doing on the Switch? Personally, I have Disgaea 5 and Fate/Extella next to me, adding One Piece, Xenoverse 2 and Rabbids to that soon, with more to come as announced.

I've also supported third-party back on Wii-U, Wii etc, but beyond the first wave of games that interested me, Wii-U never saw any further waves....

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic