Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,681 to 11,700 of 70,066

Octane

@JaxonH I know you've invented time travel and managed to squeeze 48 hours in a single day, but that's not an option for me! I think that Zelda and HZD will last me at least another month or two. Bloodborne is next and I haven't played Gravity Rush 2 either. With so many games that I have yet to play, I can't convince myself to spend another €60 on Mario Kart Deluxe or Fast Racing NEO either. Great games though, but I already have them on my Wii U. I'd rather get completely new games instead. I'm rather picky, but I need to be, I don't have the time to play them all unfortunately.

Octane

IceClimbers

Right now I'm just waiting for Pocket Rumble while being entrenched in Zelda and Blaster Master Zero.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

@Octane
"time travel"

If only...

I do actually plan to make time for Horizon and Mass Effect, and Fire Emblem Echoes, but aside from those I don't have much plans for the other consoles this year. I have played FAST but, like Mario Kart, this is the first time ever released on an HD handheld with full console game. The FAST has new tracks also and just all around fixed up nicely with tweaks and changes, and is perfect for short burst play on the go, and lots of replayability so it's not like having played a few tracks on Wii U makes it feel old. It feels brand new, at least to me. Same for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe- battle mode is the heart and soul of Mario Kart multiplayer, and it was.... not kosher on Wii U. I can already tell that Mario Kart will be a staple in my Switch for years to come. Anywhere I go, battle mode in Mario Kart awaits. If ever there were a situation warranting a game to be repurchased... I think this would be it.

And... that's it. Everything else is new. But honestly I'm more excited for that battle mode at work than I am many brand new games.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH I personally don't really care about the portability. So I'm just getting it for the home console experience, which may also explain why I wasn't eager to get it day one.

And to be fair, I never cared about the battle mode in MK, MK8 was fine for me

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
Ya know, I've owned handhelds for decades but play them mostly at home. I went through a phase of bringing my 3DS to work but I stop doing that. With Switch, having a much larger screen and in high definition, and being able to prop it up in tabletop mode and slide the controllers off and lean back in a chair and play... it doesn't feel like you're playing a handheld at all, it feels like you're playing a home console, but with a smaller screen. It's like bringing the home console experience with you anywhere, and that's what I like about it the most.

I've always loved the battle modes, I grew up playing battle mode on the SNES with my little brother, and on 64... but from the adult years on I've never had anyone to play with. For the first time in 20 years I now have the opportunity to play battle mode with others. Just being a handheld isn't enough- it's the tabletop mode combined with 2 controllers built in, combined with them detaching... it takes all of that. I miss playing games like Mario kart battle mode with others, and if it wasn't for this system I would never be able to do it again.

I've got a feeling that a lot of people who don't care about portability, are going to realize that they appreciate the portability after spending some time with the system. It's one of those things where, maybe you make your mind up that you're not interested in it, but once you have access to it that moment hits you where, "gosh dang it I've gotta go to work, and I was just getting to the good part!" and realize you can bring the experience with you, or "ah man I'm going out of town for the weekend... wait, that doesn't mean I can't keep playing" or even just "gotta go downstairs and watch the kid... hmm, I'll just lift it out and dock it in the spare dock for my living room, or I'll just play it as a handheld"... I think that's going to change a lot of peoples minds on the whole portability issue. Probably not until they actually get one and experience it but, in due time I think it's value will be seen.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

I never understood people waiting in the first place. Unless a person is genuinely unsure they'll end up wanting one... but if a person knows they're gonna buy it eventually, why wait?

Why spend money on a platform when it doesn't have the games you want for it yet? Even assuming you can drop that sort of money on it and not miss it. Surely that money is better in your pocket if the alternative is a system with nothing much to play on it. Not so true with the Switch because compared to other console launches the big releases are fairly close to launch. Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon. But with other console launches? ...

I'll put it this way. I know of someone who got a 3DS a few weeks after launch based on the promise of games that it'd eventually get with the same logic you're using here. As a fan of the DS they knew they'd get it eventually and they could get it so they did. But they only played DS games on it until Mario Kart 7 came out. BTW, this same person plans to get a Switch but this time they're waiting for Mario Kart. Which technically means they're going to get it as early as they got the 3DS. But still.

Also, fun little anecdote. This same person never owned a Wii U or frankly any home console of their own but they're getting the Switch. Purely because they see the Switch as the successor to the 3DS. To them Mario Kart 8 is a brand new release even though they know it was a Wii U game.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

StuTwo

I'm both with @JaxonH and against him on this.

Personally I'm at a point in my life where I have the disposable income to spare, I know I'll spend a lot of money on video games over the next few years and right now I need to play Zelda for 50-100 hours either way. So it makes sense to invest in a "futureproof" platform now - honestly I'd have been crazy not to buy in now.

I've not even bought the Switch as a "forever console" - that is I fully expect that Nintendo will release superior Switch hardware in the future (whether that's handheld only SKU or a home only SKU or a "Switch Pro" SKU). I know I'll be buying another Switch in a few years time - if only because the battery is sealed in and will degrade.

What I've bought into at this point is something that has useful features I can really benefit from right now but more importantly the promise of a future ecosystem filled with Nintendo first party games (which make up the bulk of what I'm interested in buying and playing). Hopefully the games I buy today I'll also be able to play on my "Switch 3.0" in 2025.

At the same time though I appreciate my situation is not the same for everyone. I've been through points in my life with no disposable income at all so I know what it's like. If it's a choice between spending £100 on 2 games for a console you already own and spending £300 on one game with a new console then it's an easy choice - even though the more expensive option is more "futureproof".

In the StuTwo household where we can afford it my wife was not well chuffed at all when she found out I'd pre-ordered a new console. The conversation was "why do you need to spend like £200 on more games when you spent £50 on that other new box in November. Wasn't that enough?". Thankfully I always get to my credit card bill first and she hasn't seen one for years but I can appreciate that's not an option for everyone.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Bolt_Strike

I missed out on a lot of 3DS games because I basically had no disposable income through most of 8th gen, so I'm in no rush to get a Switch right now. There's plenty of other games I can go back and buy while I'm waiting. But really I'm more concerned with the price than the lineup, it's completely ridiculous that the console can't be bought at MSRP RN and I'm more concerned about when that will go back down than what kind of games I can get.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

KirbyTheVampire

If Mario Kart weren't coming out in April, I would be content to wait until the fall or maybe even the holidays. From what has been revealed so far, basically only Nintendo's first party games interest me this year, aside from a few third party games that look intriguing but I'm not very sure I'll actually buy. As awesome as Zelda is, I don't think having only one game until sometime in the summer when Splatoon 2 comes out would be worth it. Even still, I've never played Splatoon, so I really have no idea if I'll like it. I'm glad there's that testfire coming for that reason.

I hope E3 reveals some good stuff, cause if not, I'll probably only have 3 Switch games (Maybe 4 if I like Splatoon 2) to play this year, lol. At least there's Horizon and Red Dead Redemption 2 and whatnot. Kinda wish I had waited for Mario Odyssey if it turns out there isn't anything else I want to buy this year, though. Might as well have had an extra year of life on the battery.

KirbyTheVampire

upsidedownjim

Did anyone else have their Splatoon Testfire icon disappear from the home menu? I downloaded it the day it became available but didn't launch it and noticed today that it wasn't on the home menu. Probably no big deal.

upsidedownjim

rallydefault

@KirbyTheVampire
Without Mario Kart in April, Nintendo would be in big trouble. It would be the Wii U's 6-month-long stretch between launch and Pikmin 3 all over again. Having Mario Kart in April is perfect. It's a system seller, an online game, and in general a "quick" game to play with tons of replayability. In short, it's a game with legs that can get you to your next major release, even more than what Zelda is doing for us right now (and I'm still nowhere near finished).

Mario Kart has always sold systems. If they hype Deluxe up enough (especially the Battle Mode), and with it being in the Switch's launch window, I think this can be a totally different story. Mario Kart 8 was awesome, but honestly that game came out when the Wii U's fate was already bleak. It sold insanely well to people who already owned the system, but failed to convince people to jump onto a sinking ship. Right now, the Switch is on a rising tide (positive story about production increase today, for instance) and needs to keep that narrative.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

NEStalgia

@KirbyTheVampire I have the opposite problem. Not enough major games are interesting me (arms and kart only slightly interest me, splatoon 2 does but I'm a little uneasy about letting myself get unhealthily addicted to that again ) There's a ton of indies I'd otherwise have not looked twice at that are somewhat interesting...but I love using the hardware so much I'm leaving Horizon in shrinkwrap and finding 8 bit indies to play on the switch because I'd rather use that hardware!

NEStalgia

KirbyTheVampire

@rallydefault That's true. It would be nice if they had something for fall, though. The gap from Splatoon 2 to Mario Odyssey is pretty big. Assuming it comes out in August, that's still about 4 months between them. It could come even earlier than that.

Edit: Accidentally typed Autumn instead of August, derp.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

TuVictus

I'm assuming splatoon 2 will be a July or August game, with arms being maybe late may or June. Not sure when spring officially ends but I always assume Nintendo means the very very end of a season when they give release windows

TuVictus

KirbyTheVampire

@NEStalgia Yeah, I could see that being the case for Wii U owners. I've never had a Wii U, so most of the first part stuff announced so far interests me. Arms doesn't really interest me at all, but maybe it'll be good.

KirbyTheVampire

NEStalgia

@KirbyTheVampire Yeah, for Kart, I've never been a huge kart fan. I had the original and loved it, and got back into it with Wii, but I generally dislike online competitive games, so I just play the single player or some local coop in cart, it's not a game I can spend a lot of time with. Might end up getting it anyway though. Arms doesn't really interest me, but if they show more to it than we know, maybe. Splatoon, I was super addicted to the first and it caused me a massive backlog I don't want to get into it again but might get drawn into it anyway!

I generally hate online games and refuse to touch them....but Splatoon....that thing sucked me in and I did not expect that...

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

Fire Emblem Warriors is Fall guys.

I know. I forget it too.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

rallydefault

@KirbyTheVampire
Yea, good point about Fall. But like @BLP_Software pointed out, we have Fire Emblem Warriors (totally forgot about that too lol). That should help.

And like some said, Splatoon 2 is probably going to be a late summer kinda thing (August-September, even), though I would LOVE to have that puppy in June and play all summer long.

rallydefault

Azooooz

I'm looking for a Switch carrying case, and I'm stuck between RDS and Orzly brands. I don't have the Switch right now, but I have order it from Amazon UK, which is set to ship on March 31. What do you recommend, guys?

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

KirbyTheVampire

@rallydefault Yeah I forgot that game existed too, lol. Still not sure how much appeal that has to the masses, especially since it's Fire Emblem which isn't terribly well known among casual gamers (at least not to my knowledge), but maybe that along with games like Skyrim and Xenoblade will be enough. I certainly hope so. Still gonna hold out hope for one more big game in that time frame.

KirbyTheVampire

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic