Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch? More like the Nintendo Port U.

Posts 221 to 240 of 252

Pazzo-TheFool

Wait, are we complaining about more games that take nothing away from new games being made? Lol

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

Blathers

The games are original to me, one of the many people (read: the majority of people) who play games and did NOT buy Nintendo's dead console.

You invested in a dead console. You enjoyed your investment, but now you're backpaying the wait we all did the last few years for Nintendo to release a good home console that has developer support and public interest.

Edited on by Blathers

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

skywake

@Blathers
The Wii U wasn't a bad console it just lost in the platform lottery. Platforms sell on momentum more than anything else, it's not something you actually see when you play it.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Madelleste

I honestly don't get why people are complaining about ports. The more games the better imo. Very few of these WiiU ports excite me personally, but nobody is forcing anyone to buy them. If you don't want them, just don't buy them. It's that easy.

Besides, it's not like these ports are being made by the major development teams either. They're usually done by smaller teams in order for them to gain more experience. These ports also bring in a lot of cash for Nintendo. Cash that in turn will go into development of brand new games.

So yeah, it's a win-win. Keep them coming Nintendo!

Madelleste

Smitherenez

It is a double edged sword. As a WiiU owner, I played all of these first party titles already. It annoys me that I don't get many cool new first-party titles to play every month like last year, but since I have never played many of the third-party games that came out on other consoles, I still have plenty of ports to look forward to. I played Skyrim for the first time, just like DOOM. Enjoying Dragon Quest Builders right now, and I am looking forward to the ports of Crash and Dark Souls, which are new games to me as well.

I am not necessarily happy with Nintendo's own efforts for this year so far, but I am still enjoying the many games that are put out on the switch by indies, and other developers.

Please check out my Youtube gaming channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/FullHDPixelletsplays

Nintendo Network ID: Smitherenez

Buizel

Harmonie wrote:

~Super Smash Bros 4 character announcements were always preceded by the cross logo. Just go look back at them. This one was not. You might want to say that they did that to put the Splatoon trailer up in the air as to what it was leading to, but then why did they do not do the same for when Animal Crossing introduced Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS back in the original reveal of those games?

As far as I remember, the Smash trailers in Directs never opened with the Smash cross - they always had this element of suspense about what was coming. It was only when the trailers were published onto Youtube post-direct that this element was added as far as I can tell.

On that note - there seems to be loads of evidence for and against Smash being a port. I think at this stage it could really be anything and people are reading too much into things. Personally I reckon it's a highly modified port that will mess with our expectations of what a new game can be. But I don't think we can dismiss a straight-up port with added DLC characters and Inklings either.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

StuTwo

This is my grandfathers SSB - my father changed the underlying engine & added half a dozen characters and I changed the textures & added another half dozen characters...

Seriously - who will know or care if it’s a port or not. They’ve all looked and played basically the same since the GameCube. A complete rebuild of the game that streamlined the mechanics and cut the characters back to a dozen or fewer truly balanced ones might be interesting but it’s not what the community wants or would ever accept.

They just want new wallpaper and maybe an extension. At most some want a rewire and replastering of the walls.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Nintendo_Thumb

To the people who want me to stop playing Rocket League on my Switch: [removed]!

Mind your language - Octane

Edited on by Octane

Nintendo_Thumb

StuTwo

I’ll never understand why people don’t want great games ported - or more accurately why they want them to be stranded on obsolete formats:

“Want to watch Citizen Kane? Sorry it’s not coming to Blu Ray - we released a nice box set on VHS 10 years ago. It’d be anti consumer to release a better version now”

Switch needs a broad range of high quality software to maintain momentum and retain engagement with players. Ports help to do that. We all want to see big ambitious new games built from the ground up for Switch but realistically the business case will never allow for more than a few of those every year.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

wasilewski

I love all the ports, especially the retro classics. The Switch is the only system that got me back into playing games after 17 years. The only thing I played regularly over that period was Tetris and Switch has that too!

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

Harmonie

Buizel wrote:

As far as I remember, the Smash trailers in Directs never opened with the Smash cross - they always had this element of suspense about what was coming. It was only when the trailers were published onto Youtube post-direct that this element was added as far as I can tell.

I just went and found the specific Nintendo Direct with the aforementioned Villager reveal before the first reveal of Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS. The Smash cross animation is very much present in the Direct, it's not just something they added in trailers.

(Go to 34:30 or there abouts)

On another note, seeing Iwata makes me sad. =(

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Buizel

Harmonie wrote:

Buizel wrote:

I just went and found the specific Nintendo Direct with the aforementioned Villager reveal before the first reveal of Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS. The Smash cross animation is very much present in the Direct, it's not just something they added in trailers.

(Go to 34:30 or there abouts)

On another note, seeing Iwata makes me sad. =(

My bad there. Maybe it wasn't the case for all trailers, but it was certainly the case for the Rosalina and Cloud reveals, as I remember personally being thrown off by them:

27:59
42:08

So again I personally wouldn't read too much into the lack of an opening cross. In fact, I find it stranger that it was used in the Smash 4 reveal - it makes more sense to me not to reveal the game's identity straight away.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

electrolite77

@Blue551

"Then why do you people want a VC exactly?"

Because to some people, ports are bad, unless they're the laziest port imaginable (a ROM) but by Nintendo, and ports that have previously been on 3 or more other systems.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

ThanosReXXX

@skywake Great comment, #244. Very well put.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Lethal

Ports are fine as long as there is a steady flow of new games releasing. If the majority of new games coming out are ports from a console many have left or still have, well that defeats the purpose of actually moving on to the Switch. New hardware, old games. That is basically a band-aid to fill the gaps between the new IP launches and such.

Lets see a new Donkey Kong Country, Metroid Prime, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, or more new IP's.

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Gamer83

@Lethal
Zelda was a day and date port, so while it was on Wii U, it was still brand new on the Switch. ARMS, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles and in a few days, Kirby Star Allies. That's much better than the PS4's first 12 months when the library for that console was an absolutely pathetic port fest from a console with a userbase over 80 million. Wii U topped at what? 15 million? For many these games are new for those who have already played the ports, there's still plenty of new games.

Gamer83

RickRau5

Ports are a problem for wiiU owners(small base) and the hardcore audience(small base). WiiU owners probably have played the game before, which is understandable.. hardcore audience may not like ports because it isnt "new", which is childish.

RickRau5

kkslider5552000

@Gamer83 To be fair, the real problem is that the bulk of PS4's first year was 2014. AKA the year of disappointing AAA games. Playstation should be thankful they had all the positive PR in the world and courted indie devs correctly considering the unfortunate timing of it being 2014 for big budget video games.

Like Bloodbourne wasn't even out yet. THE ORDER wasn't even out, and that game has already come and entirely been forgotten.

(but yeah, Switch has had the best first year maybe ever, obviously)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Lethal

Gamer83 wrote:

@Lethal
Zelda was a day and date port, so while it was on Wii U, it was still brand new on the Switch. ARMS, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles and in a few days, Kirby Star Allies. That's much better than the PS4's first 12 months when the library for that console was an absolutely pathetic port fest from a console with a userbase over 80 million. Wii U topped at what? 15 million? For many these games are new for those who have already played the ports, there's still plenty of new games.

The amount of units sold means absolutely nothing to me as a Switch owner. The only number that matters to me is the one I own. I am also not concerned about what the PS4 or XB1 has done in terms of ports or their first year or years.

The Switch does not have many games coming out each month and I honestly get tired of seeing all of these Wii U games being ported over as a band-aid. I already played Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Lego City Undercover, Rayman Legends, Dark Souls, ect. I want to see more new games being released that I have not played. I bought the Switch for a new experience, not an old one.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Gamer83

@Lethal
Point is, even for what are considered the best systems, great games take time. I'm as big a PlayStation fan as there is and I was regretting the PS4 purchase to an extent for the first couple years. Switch on the other hand has had one of the best first years ever, Nintendo has balanced things very well.

Gamer83

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.