Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 1,389

Snaplocket

@Ralizah That's the impression I got from the game. The gameplay itself is just semi-decent, it's the exploration and world-building that really makes the game. It's not just combat either, no part of the gameplay feels especially in-depth or interesting, a lot of stuff to do for sure, but none of it is incredibly satisfying on its own.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Ralizah

@Snaplocket The controls make even the exploration questionable (although, I will admit, gyro aiming for the bow and arrow sounds like a MASSIVE QOL upgrade).

Skyrim excels at world-building, quest diversity, and role playing more broadly.

Everything else is... meh.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

KirbyTheVampire

It's not for everyone. If you play games only for the gameplay and don't care about world-building, lore, side quests, exploration etc, you probably won't have as much fun with Skyrim as you would with something like Breath of the Wild.

While I already consider Skyrim a masterpiece despite its flaws, I think Bethesda could become even more of a juggernaut in the gaming industry than they already are if they just fine-tuned the combat, improved the character animations, and made traversing mountains and such easier. Those are really the only aspects of The Elder Scrolls that are significantly lacking IMO, although I think some better voice actors would help as well.

KirbyTheVampire

Zuljaras

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

If you play games only for the gameplay and don't care about world-building, lore, side quests, exploration etc,

It is sad even to think that such people play video games. I always thought that a game should be a compilation of all the things you named, not just good gameplay and that is it. Like a mindless game with perfect graphics and shooting.

Zuljaras

KirbyTheVampire

@Zuljaras I've absolutely met such people, although I think a more common thing is people who like a good story and lore and whatnot, but just consider it the icing on the cake.

While there's nothing wrong with that, that's not really how I approach games at all. I can forgive some pretty atrocious gameplay if the story and characters and lore and such are all good. I don't think games absolutely need to have top-notch gameplay to be extremely enjoyable experiences. To be honest, I would probably take better story-telling and lore at the expense of gameplay in certain games like Breath of the Wild. Maybe I'm just weird that way, lol.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Snaplocket

@KirbyTheVampire Lets be fair here gameplay is arguably the most important part of the game 90% of the time. I for one, would absolutely absolutely take stellar gameplay and an okay/bad story over horrible gameplay and a great story. (Example: I enjoy most action RPGs more then Nier because the gameplay in Nier is very mediocre)
All that said, as someone who really isn't into this genre, I think Skyrim is a great game, just not one of my favorite games ever.

Edited on by Snaplocket

JaxonH

I think there's merit to both, but certainly not in equal measure.

Some of the best games I've ever played have been straight up gameplay focused. Splatoon 2. DOOM. Mario Odyssey. Even Zelda Breath of the Wild. No gripping narrative or lore or any of that stuff to draw you in, yet these are some of my favorite games.

At the same time, there are a few games I've played have been not too hot in the game play department but very good in everything else (like Skyrim) which are probably equally as good in my eyes. However, games in this category are far fewer in number. When you lack intriguing gameplay, it's so incredibly hard to make up for it. While if you have impeccable, addicting gameplay, the rest is nothing more than icing on the cake because the game is going to be fun no matter what.

Basically, gameplay first and foremost. If you have incredibly exciting and addicting gameplay, you won't need anything else. Not to say a gripping story wouldn't make it even better because it absolutely would but the game will stand on its own if the gameplay is great. Whereas a game that doesn't have very good game play has an extremely hard, uphill battle to fight to win me over. In the case of Skyrim, it absolutely achieves doing so, but it's definitely one of the exceptions rather than the rule.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Diablo 3, Monster Hunter Gen Ult, Dark Souls, World of Final Fantasy, TWEWY
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Snaplocket

@JaxonH I thought the plots in all the games you mentioned were actually pretty well done. They just weren't at the forefront like Skyrim. BOTW's story was actually very engaging for how sparse it was.

KirbyTheVampire

@Snaplocket I don't think that's necessarily true. While gaming is largely about having fun gameplay, I don't think they all need to be that way. If a game wants to focus on the story and not really the gameplay, such as Until Dawn or The Witcher 3, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I think we're so used to games being only about gameplay due to the early console generations where the stories were basically non-existent, but I don't think they should be trapped in that box anymore.

KirbyTheVampire

Snaplocket

@KirbyTheVampire Say what you want, but if the gameplay isn't at the least as good as say a Tales game, it isn't gonna be one of my favorites. Meh gameplay is what keeps what from replaying stuff like Okage Shadow King and Nier.

KirbyTheVampire

@Snaplocket I'm not saying gameplay isn't important, I'm just saying it doesn't need to be the focus of every single game. Ultimately, games are just interactive forms of entertainment, so whether they focus on almost purely gameplay like Mario Odyssey or almost purely story like Until Dawn doesn't really matter to me as long as the games succeed at what they're trying to do. As long as they entertain a decent number of people in some way, they did their job.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with having a bias towards gameplay. I just don't think it's necessary to have super fun gameplay for the game to be enjoyable.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong at all with valuing narrative elements over interactive elements or visa versa. I guess, to me, the best examples of a medium are the ones that exploit the unique features of said medium, which is why games that are, for all intent and purposes, just interactive movies confuse me. Why not just make a movie if you don't care about the element of interactivity and player choice? Or at least design the game so it focuses on its strengths instead of constantly reminding me of its weaknesses. I'd much rather play a VN that doesn't even pretend to be "gamey" than something like The Last of Us where the player is either engaging in busywork like dragging planks or boxes around or being railroaded into performing one specific action because the game is worried about maintaining the pacing of its narrative elements.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what expectations you come to a game with in the first place. I've always been a bit disappointed with Skyrim, but I fully understand that this is because, in part, the game is emphasizing elements I just don't care about and de-emphasizing things I do care about. Same with @KirbyTheVampire and BotW, I imagine.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Haru17

You can't make 20 hour movies, especially in fantasy settings with different races, magic, and fantastical sights. And even if you could you wouldn't get as invested in the characters as you do playing them in survival horror-type games, nor as good of a feel for the environments as you can in games with elaborate level design like Skyrim.

And both The Last of Us and Skyrim do the simple thing that I like of picking up items off of shelves in ruins, which adds to the role play of existing in a world.

Yeah, I struggle to think of a game with a more in-depth magic system than the Elder Scrolls that isn't running terribad MMO combat, action bars, the kind of things that indie developers rely on.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Snaplocket

@Ralizah The thing is, really good visual novels like Danganronpa and Zero Escape take advantage of the video game format, so it isn't exactly the same as reading a book. Heck, I'd say the gameplay in those games is actually fairly rewarding with clever puzzles and constant minigames to keep up the action.

@Haru17 The magic system in Skyrim is way shallower then it appears. All it comes down is spam your best spell, maybe use a secondary one, and heal when necessary. Nothing special.

Edited on by Snaplocket

mikecrci

Careful, now. If anyone here plays Skyrim for too long, it's going to feel weird switching to an RPG where most of the NPC's aren't voice-acted. It's going to feel strangely....silent.

There's over 50,000 lines of dialogue in Skyrim.

mikecrci

Switch Friend Code: SW-5649-7832-6488

Haru17

@Snaplocket I've played this game for like 2000 hours, remember? I think I'll decide for myself how in-depth the spell system is. Not to mention that you're only talking about destruction, and then only about battlemage characters.

Skyrim is an actual action RPG, unlike games like Witcher 3 when you play a single character with a predefined set of abilities. There are so many unique spell effects and perks that modify them; constant cast spells, traps, telekinesis, sneak, confusion spells, a bunch of different summons, necromancy that you can use on any corpse in the game including boss NPCs, and of course all of the different shout effects like storm call. You can create so many characters out of that system that people have created websites and online communities around it — a singleplayer game.

@mikecrci It's so rough, I hate finding unvoiced NPCs and scenes in JRPGs.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

KirbyTheVampire

@mikecrci I think that's one of the biggest turn-offs with Morrowind for me. The characters just feel a lot more dead than they do in Skyrim and Oblivion when they don't have any voice acting outside of a simple greeting when you first start talking to them.

Plus, the slow walking and unbearably thick fog is really annoying. I should try to find some mods for that. I think I'd enjoy the game a lot more if my character wasn't slowly strolling around a world that looks like Silent Hill. I haven't touched it in so long, which is a shame, because it must be considered such a classic for a reason.

@Ralizah Yeah, I think how you feel about Skyrim is pretty much exactly how I feel about BoTW, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

mikecrci

Getting the crossbow in this game makes combat 1000x more fun

mikecrci

Switch Friend Code: SW-5649-7832-6488

Snaplocket

@Haru17 I'm fully aware of the different kinds of magic, I've played the game for 30 hours so far and I'm pretty sure of the level of depth to the combat and magic.

KirbyTheVampire

@mikecrci I don't think it's THAT much better than a regular bow, although it really feels like it packs a punch when you shoot it, which is satisfying.

@Snaplocket Nah man, it takes a long time to reach the point where you can use the higher-end spells. The basic ones are most certainly basic, which is probably what you've been using.

KirbyTheVampire

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic