Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 1,234

Ryu_Niiyama

@iKhan I think that skyrim on switch will gain legs later. It is a "old game" so that can throw people but I've already had coworkers ask me about it because I have my switch sitting on my desk. I think word of mouth will sell it more than anything.

Also I tried making a character opposite from my usual (so this one was a male, Nord, evil, stealth build) got bored so quickly so I'll be starting over later on today.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

@iKhan I'm not. The UK isn't a great market for Nintendo, and it's head over heels for Sony.

@Ryu_Niiyama What sort of character do you usually make?

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah I've never been a "for the eviluz" sort of gal. So I'm sorta a grey paragon in everything I play. I'm usually a female Altmer or Redguard (I used to be Dunmer in Oblivion), however I got really into the character creation in Skyrim (especially after mods) so I head cannon my character is a hybrid (because I spend so much time in TES games that I meta game) of both races but the build is actually an Altmer. Anyway I am primarily good (companions and member of the circle, side with the Empire, dawnguard, archmage, with thieves guild as my grey area, but I meta game that I "mostly" steal to help others, anti brotherhood) and I play as a battlemage usually with a focus on one-handed weapons and shield work. So I like to shout, stab and burn evil people. I make a living as a weapons smith though (I kept a schedule in the PC game....because I need help).

However that means there is about 40percent of the game I've never seen even though I've been playing since day one. So I thought I'd give it a try but I think I'm just going to do a non main quest play-through using my normal style.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama I get a kick out of playing amoral characters, for whatever reason. I guess because it's more liberating for me to play in a way where I have zero boundaries to consider when making choices. Although it can often lead to my character going down a dark path. In the case of Skyrim, my character fell in with a group of assassins after killing the abusive headmistress of an orphanage. I've tried playing purely evil characters before, but what always happens is that I'll eventually be confronted with a choice where the evil option just kills me inside, and I abandon the RP.

Edited on by Ralizah

KirbyTheVampire

@Ralizah Yeah, same. Even if it is just a game, certain things that you can do in games make me so uncomfortable that I just end up abandoning the idea of having a completely evil character. For example, in the first inFamous game, I tried doing an evil playthrough, but when I got to that part near the start of the game where you can either shoot down the supply drop of food for a crowd to eat or kill a couple people to scare them off and take the food for yourself and potential doom some people to starvation, I did the evil option, but I felt so bad about it that I just decided to not bother doing the evil playthrough, lol.

That's what kind of bugs me about games like inFamous where you can choose to be good or evil. There's almost never options where you can do something that's in a bit of a gray area, or at least isn't incredibly brutal and sadistic. I know choices like that are harder to write, but still.

It's not a big deal in the case of inFamous because it's not trying to be an RPG where you can be any sort of person that you want to be, I'm just saying that morally gray choices in games are incredibly underused.

KirbyTheVampire

SKTTR

A group of headhunters waited for me at my witch's hut as I was trying to carry more loot into the basement. They attacked with no diplomacy. I found a letter in the pocket of one of these guys. Someone wanted me dead. What is up with the game? xD

backloggery.com/SKTTR

KirbyTheVampire

@SKTTR Looks like you made someone angry, lol. You probably got caught stealing or assaulting someone or something.

KirbyTheVampire

IrishGamer97

@SKTTR I remember I killed someone by accident in Whiterun during a random vampire raid, couple of quests later a bunch of mercenary's attacked me outside Windhelm. Whats funny is occasionally you can get letters of inheritance from Couriers if characters you did stuff for died and I got some inherited gold from people I helped and later murdered in my evil Breton Necromancer playthrough!

"Because one dog ain't enough, and two is too low, it's me, Three Dog!" Three Dog ~ Fallout 3
"The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over." Godot ~ Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
"You can become a hero." All Might ~ My Hero Academia
NNID: MunsterRugbyFan
Steam: thi...

3DS Friend Code: 2062-9874-9597 | Nintendo Network ID: MunsterRugbyFan | Twitter:

DarthNocturnal

Empire and Stormcloaks are quite grey in many ways.... but they're also symmetrical. No real gameplay reason to choose one over another.

Also, head hunters will be hired to kill you even if you weren't seen.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

KirbyTheVampire

@DarthNocturnal I think Skyrim does a good job of letting you play as a person who's not a complete Nazi, yeah. You can do plenty of things that aren't exactly morally right but aren't super horrible, either.

KirbyTheVampire

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah Yeah I'm "boring". I think that amorality appeals to some because they feel that is how they would act without fear of jail or punishment (not saying you, saying why it doesn't work for me) . However that just means you are an evil coward imo (of course I'm fairly certain half the world if full of that type of person) being a thief is the closest I'll come to that... although I hated the benefactor of the thieves guild (too bad she is well protected).

I think that is where there is a limit to my narrative vision. I don't try to build Mary Sue's, but I can't build a character that is very different from me morally even if they are different in personality/backstory/etc. Even when I create villains I don't understand the "I want to rule the world...because ruling seems like fun and I think I can just sit around and have a harem and eat bon bons all day." ...which is why Dr Doom is my favorite villain...he isn't a good person but he actually does want to not only rule but so long as you don't mind the fact that he is a tyrant you can leave a decent life under his rule because he actually does something with the crown.

Swinging back to Skryim, it is like how some of the dadric princes are not wholly evil (despite what the religion of the Divines). I couldn't side with Dagon, but I could work with Nocturnal (even though she is a bit of a jerk in Skryim...stop losing stuff and then you can be snarky). As an actual person I tend to float along the good scale. I'm mostly Neutral good with aspects of chaotic good and lawful good depending on the issue. My characters reflect that. I suppose that makes me boring to some, but I like it so it works for me, lol.

@DarthNocturnal I agree neither side is wholly good, but you can't pay me enough to side with racists. Side effect of being a minority. Also if you want to overthrow something you need to show how you are the better choice. Ulfric doesn't have much of a plan beyond throw Skyrim into chaos, then hopefully take over and be crowned high king. Nationalistic pride (or religious pride) is not a good enough reason (also American so I see that nonsense all that time) to upend society especially when it hurts the people that may be natives to the country but not the majority race.

Ralizah

@KirbyTheVampire I will admit that Skyrim is incredibly good at allowing the player to navigate moral issues with some level of nuance. Certainly, I appreciate being left to make my own decisions without the game arbitrarily assigning me as a certain moral position. Life just doesn't work like that.

JHDK

Wow. Finally got the game today (my shipment was delayed, BOO!!) and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm running around aimlessly like a dummy. It's going to take awhile to get my bearings in this massive game.

It looks really nice on the Switch though. Better than I was expecting.

Edited on by JHDK

Switch Friend Code: 5258-4283-7999

Spoony_Tech

What are the advantages to continuing the story to a certain point? I've been off doing side quests and haven't done any of the story past the first village.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

SilverEdge92

I consider myself firmly Lawful Good, but I don't really have an issue occasionally doing the Chaotic/Renegade thing if it's contextually appropriate for the immediate situation or the option available. I stole a book from Ulfric's palace for an Imperial soldier in Solitude because that's what the quest directed me toward, and also had to deal with the goon squad afterward. I just destroyed the Dark Brotherhood today after two of their assassins came after me earlier, presumably because I stumbled upon some bandits in their vice den and wiped them out. Would have been nice if we had the chance to destroy the Thieves' Guild too, oust Maven Black-Briar, and clean up Riften.

And in what ways can the Empire and Stormcloaks be considered gray? They seem clearly "Law option" and "Chaos option" to me. The Empire is the legitimate, just authority of Skyrim; their only goal is to preserve the unity and peace of the province; and though they cooperate with the Thalmor, nobody in the Empire actually likes the Thalmor and they only do so out of necessity and it's said over and over again that was the only reason they accepted the White-Gold Concordat, either do it or be destroyed by the Almeri Dominion altogether. "Live to fight another day..." and all that jazz. Honestly, the only questionable thing about them as far as I can see is their association with Maven Black-Briar.

Conversely, the Stormcloaks are a group in open rebellion against said legitimate and just authority whose motives are, at best, a misguided, shortsighted response to the outrages imposed the Aldmeri Dominion--who are the real problem--and at worst, a blatant front to mask Ulfric's desire to seize the mantle of High King for himself, which several people--including some of his own allies--suspect.

SilverEdge92

Nintendo Network ID: SilverEdge92

KirbyTheVampire

@Spoony_Tech I would complete the first three quests. Once you beat the quest called Dragon Rising, you get access to several things that are very powerful. (I'm being intentionally vague so that I don't spoil anything, although you probably already know what I'm talking about)

The quests shouldn't take you very long. They're pretty quick compared to the other ones in the main storyline.

I don't think there are too many other advantages to completing the story past that point. There are certainly some that are pretty notable, but nothing extraordinary.

Also, quick note. Make sure you accept the quest from the Riverwood trader before you go past the first couple quests in the story. You can easily kill two birds with one stone that way.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Spoony_Tech

@KirbyTheVampire Thanks! When I played BotW I went off and did my own thing first thing off the Great Plateau for 20 hours lol. I didn't find any upgrade gear for those 20 hours and wish I did the main quest at least up to the first town. I did however take out a Devine beast before I was suppose to.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

@SilverEdge92 I think that the Thalmor association (even though the empire hates it as well) bothers some. Also I personally feel with the loss of the Septim line the Empire becomes more faceless and thus unlikeable. Plus Tulius is a heel. Thank Talos for Rikke. The Blades took a similar dive (understandably so).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

KirbyTheVampire

@Spoony_Tech No problem. I just decided to start the main story right away in both games, Skyrim because it was my first open world game and I was super overwhelmed, and BoTW because I was getting my butt kicked constantly at the start, lol. I figured I'd just follow the main questlines in both games until I got my bearings.

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

iKhan wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that the PSVR version of Skyrim outsold the Switch version in the UK.

Can pretty much guarantee the Switch version vastly outsold Skyrim VR in the US (a much bigger market) and likely elsewhere in the world. Skyrim VR topped out at #85 on Amazon on release day and is now at #140 something. Whereas Skyrim Switch hit #7, was around #20 2 full weeks prior to release, #50 for several weeks before that and #80-90 for months. Even now it's #30. So it's just steamrolling sales right now. Not to mention #3 on eShop, only behind Super Mario Odyssey and Rocket League.

And Switch version didn't have a previous fanbase or the allure of virtual reality to sell it. Just the portability... Being a handheld version.

So ya, I think my expectations have raised from being a million seller (which it surely will be) to hopefully 2 million over its lifetime on Switch (won't happen right away, but eventually, since Nintendo gamers value games much more to the point they buy for years- this will be evergreen alongside Nintendo's releases).

As for the U.K.? Ya. That's PlayStation Land. I would expect the core Sony fanbase there to all be VR adopting diehards who don't even know what a Switch is. Nintendo is lucky for games to chart at all in the U.K. tbh.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic