Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 621 to 640 of 4,508

jtmnm

@EvilLucario @DarthNocturnal Right! I forgot the players chosen for the invitational play different Smash games. I'm not too familiar with the scene myself. I guess that sentence wasn't all that substantive, then. I still want to see a new Subspace Emissary, though.

Edited on by jtmnm

jtmnm

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902 | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

Later in the year can be a lot of things. Strictly speaking, tomorrow is later in the year. They could mean August for all we know. Thats later in the year.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

ilikeike

I'd guess that they're going for a blowout at e3, then following that with frequent updates on things like trophies, stages, etc. coming every other day or so, with something major like a character reveal sprinkled throughout. That allows for continuous hype train until September, when it hopefully releases with the online service. So "later in the year" is technically pretty feasible even with a September launch.

Then again it could be a holiday game and I'm completely wrong, wouldn't be the first time!

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Grumblevolcano

Saying new game doesn't necessarily mean it's a new game, Nintendo promoted Tropical Freeze for Switch as a new game for example.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

Well Smash 4 was just a port of a port so...

Grumblevolcano

I think it'll be a Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition type situation but with the Switch extras being more significant than just BotW outfits for Link and Zelda.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

I keep having to say this, but with any game that lives by its community, fighting, shooters etc. cant change as drastically as other traditional sequels because...change too much and well, you alienate the community. Thats just the reality of it. Overwatch 2 would just be Overwatch 1...with some new paint, you know?

Besides, if we get serious for a minute, Brawl was just Melee Deluxe, and Smash 4 was just Brawl Deluxe, or Melee Deluxer, so being real, we know what to expect.

A good game.

19Robb92

I find the entire port discussion ridiculous to be honest. I've talked to people who says "it'll just be a port of smash4 that adds new characters, some new modes and new stages"...

Thats pretty much describing ecery sequel, ever. I really dont understand what people even consider a port of a game now-a-days?

Same thing happened with Splatoon 2 and appears to be happening with Aces(?). It seems like it's some kind of Nintendo exlusive phenomenon as well.. I've never seen this kind of complaint for other developers who re-use assets, modes and engines all the time..

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Who says an enhanced port would have to be mostly finished? The only requirement needed for it to be an enhanced port is it has all the Wii U content. Sure having all the Wii U content, all the 3DS content and lots of extras would make things complicated for the Switch's successor but that can be debated when a Switch successor actually happens.

Grumblevolcano

NaviAndMii

Apologies if this has already been posted - but it just popped up on my YouTube 'Recommended' page and felt I just had to share it!

Mario Galaxy - HD - Running on the Tegra X1/Shield's Official Wii Emulator! (Digital Foundry - via Youtube)

...looks jaw-droppingly beautiful - needs a Switch release!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal You have the Wii U version brought over and then you add lots of content to it (new stages, new characters, new modes, etc.). That would still be an enhanced port but it would take longer to create than just a basic port.

@Knuckles-Fajita Disagree. Melee had lots of content that wasn't in Brawl, similarly Brawl had lots of content that wasn't in 4. Ports would've had that content intact.

But whether Smash Switch a port or not doesn't really matter. I'll be disappointed if it's a new game and some of my favourite characters like Ike are cut but it'll probably still be a good game anyway.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

EvilLucario

I blame Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the whole "port vs not a port" nonsense.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Harmonie

The chances of this game being a port are, lets be honest, abysmal. I honestly believe that if someone still thinks that it's going to be a port, they are going to be ready to twist the final product in whatever fashion they can to say that it is an "enhanced port".

If it somehow is an enhanced port (without any twisting), you all win. But is that really a happy victory? Why are people still so insistent on this being a port? We should be happy we are getting a new game.

Edited on by Harmonie

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Grumblevolcano

@Harmonie Nintendo's being too secretive for it to be a guaranteed new game. Like if it's a new game and I was in Nintendo's position I'd have made it very clear it was a new game in the initial reveal trailer back in March (outside of Splatoon 2 in the 2016 Switch reveal trailer, every other new game reveal for Switch has been very clearly identified as a new game). By being vague, they've opened up the new game vs. port debate and it'll continue until at least Tuesday.

Grumblevolcano

Haruki_NLI

By that logic the same is true for Fire Emblem (Tentative Title) to be a potential port, given there is talk of Super Smash Bros (Tentative Title) also being port.

Harmonie

@Grumblevolcano You have it the wrong way around, if the game was a port, then Nintendo would be less secretive about it. I mean, they might not have been as blatant as Mario Kart 8 DX to build up hype (although ports are always announced rather straight), but I stand by saying if it was a port, we would have gotten some pretty significant signs such as the SSB logo at the end at least being the same, Bandai Namco being credited (because if the game is a port, they have to be credited, no excuse), and gosh even the Smash fire logo animation present before the Smash 4 trailers (including the initial one, which was before the otherwise mysterious reveal of Villager).

I'm afraid I just have to say, you only see vagueness here because you were so convinced beforehand that Nintendo was going to port SSB4. If a teaser like this were dropped for ANY other game, no one would doubt that it is a new game. There would be no debate at all.

Harmonie

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Not really as there's several ways of identifying a port and given Smash 4 was just named Super Smash Bros. for [insert system] makes giving a name for a port complicated.

Like given the 3DS and Wii U versions weren't identical, the title "Super Smash Bros. for Switch" could suggest an enhanced port but on the other hand it could suggest a Switch game with no roster cuts and the same gameplay mechanics as Wii U/3DS but with different other content like different stages and modes.

A title "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U DX" would obviously be a port but would Nintendo want anyone to see the word "Wii U" ever again? I really doubt it.

Grumblevolcano

erv

I had a blast playing through brawl with family and friends. Smash 4 made all the wrong changes for me though.

I really didn't like it as much as I thought I would. The new smash needs to really surprise me to hype me up again.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

EvilLucario

@BraveLilac Honestly in terms of third-parties... indies are generally really just not "popular" enough to really know who they are. The closest we've gotten to that was Bayonetta, but she also has the benefit of being pretty much a Nintendo character now after Bayonetta 2 and 3 being Nintendo exclusive. Third-parties in general are those that have been extremely influential and/or old, and a reasonable list from that is pretty much just Bomberman, Simon Belmont, and Crash Bandicoot. Maybe a bit more here and there.

If there were to be one indie character, it would most likely be Shovel Knight (due to being one of the most well-known indie games) or Shantae (with a long history of being on Nintendo handhelds). I'm sorry, but no other indie character really has as much of a chance as those two.

That said, I somehow see more third-party newcomers than first-party newcomers. Idk why, I have this feeling for some reason. Who knows though, I just can't wait.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Harmonie

To be fair, Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS was never officially referred to as Super Smash Bros 4., so they would have to come up with some new title if it was a port, but still, I'm confident that if it were a port that title would have been come up with before the teaser trailer. If it's just a port, there's really nothing to hide from us. The reason the trailer was so vague is because it is a new game.

Harmonie

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic