Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 821 to 840 of 2,747

DanteSolablood

@link3701 @Harmonie There is the fourth option that we're getting multiple maps in one game much like Gold/Silver. The "pattern" that people are talking about is based around the development time it takes to make the games... that changes with such a huge shift in platform.

I genuinely don't think we can look too far into old patterns, if old patterns held up then Nintendo would have botched the Switch launch, not supported it well & dropped the price by now. Nintendo and Gamefreak are likely changing things up this time around.

Danté: Old, cool & wise (the latter two are lies)
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Switch FC: SW-4146-5915-6308
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Starting with a new generation isn't the only option, but it is by far the best and most profitable. The new generation games are consistently the highest selling games of their generation without fail and are optimal for marketing new hardware because they're a blank slate built around the new hardware and they have completely new content. A remake, third version, sequel, or other kind of updated version of a previous region wouldn't draw the same attention and sales, a new generation stands the best chance of drawing in an audience.

And no, dual regions wouldn't be a good idea either. As we saw with GSCHGSS, two regions doesn't necessarily mean double the content, they needed to nerf both regions in order to fit them in under the normal development constraints. They're better off just making one fully fleshed out region instead of two shallow and mediocre ones.

So no, starting off with a new generation is one pattern I can't see them breaking. Ever.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Sisilly_G

@Bolt_Strike : I would attribute the underwhelming inclusion of Kanto to the limitations of Game Boy Color cartridges at the time. Internal layouts were being recycled right left and centre and entire buildings, routes and other areas were minimised if not excluded completely in order to squeeze in as much content as possible without exceeding the limitations of the cartridge. We're talking, what, 2MB cartridges back then? (I believe the Japanese cartridge was only 1MB)

The annoying thing about HG/SS is that the stripped-back Kanto was carried over to the remakes even though the same memory constraints no longer applied. We could have had Silph Co. in all its glory and Pokémon Centres that stayed true to the original Kanto layout etc.

With the GB era Pokémon games, and perhaps even the generations that followed, the house and Pokémon Centre/Mart internal layouts were only stored ONCE in the game's data, with the NPC placements being the only thing that differentiated them from one another (which makes sense considering that they only had 1 or 2MB of legroom).

Game Freak can now include multiple fleshed out regions if they wanted to, but I would attribute their absence due to the lengthening of the development time, which they would rather spend on making a new game that they can sell at full price the following year instead. But there's no reason why they couldn't just as easily include the previous generation's region with relative ease, so long as the latter generation is produced for the same hardware (and using the same engine) as the game that preceded it. That rules Alola out for Pokémon Switch (assuming that they will be curating a new engine), but they could toss in Gen 8's region into the Gen 9 postgame, assuming that Gen 9 is released during the lifespan of the Switch as well.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

shadow-wolf

@DanteSolablood GameFreak certainly doesn't NEED to support the Switch - why would they care? They took 2 years to get onto the GBA, 2 years to get onto the 3DS and 3 years to get onto the DS - they usually take their time. And Switch is a big jump as their first console.

That being said, you and other posters such as @Octane and @Harmonie made some good points - patterns aren't designed to last and can easily be broken. My only worry is, GameFreak will choose to break the pattern and release Pokemon Switch in 2018 in an unfinished state, allowing them to release in 2018 and make money. The other option is GameFreak working on the game for a while, which is possible as well. Regardless, we will know SOMETHING about Pokemon Switch by the time E3 is over - whether it's coming out this year or next, and the nature of the game (if it's coming out this year).

shadow-wolf

Octane

@shadow-wolf They DO care. Pokemon sells 10+ million, but the franchise is owned by Nintendo, GameFreak and Creatures. So it's in their interest to make Pokemon games for Nintendo's newest hardware. Sure, they function like any other third party, and they can make as much sequels to Tembo the Peanut Elephant as they want, but those games won't sell anywhere near the amount a Pokemon game would. And since Pokemon is co-owned by Nintendo, it's in their interest that Nintendo's hardware sells well.

Octane

Bolt_Strike

sillygostly wrote:

@Bolt_Strike : I would attribute the underwhelming inclusion of Kanto to the limitations of Game Boy Color cartridges at the time. Internal layouts were being recycled right left and centre and entire buildings, routes and other areas were minimised if not excluded completely in order to squeeze in as much content as possible without exceeding the limitations of the cartridge. We're talking, what, 2MB cartridges back then? (I believe the Japanese cartridge was only 1MB)

The annoying thing about HG/SS is that the stripped-back Kanto was carried over to the remakes even though the same memory constraints no longer applied. We could have had Silph Co. in all its glory and Pokémon Centres that stayed true to the original Kanto layout etc.

With the GB era Pokémon games, and perhaps even the generations that followed, the house and Pokémon Centre/Mart internal layouts were only stored ONCE in the game's data, with the NPC placements being the only thing that differentiated them from one another (which makes sense considering that they only had 1 or 2MB of legroom).

Game Freak can now include multiple fleshed out regions if they wanted to, but I would attribute their absence due to the lengthening of the development time, which they would rather spend on making a new game that they can sell at full price the following year instead. But there's no reason why they couldn't just as easily include the previous generation's region with relative ease, so long as the latter generation is produced for the same hardware (and using the same engine) as the game that preceded it. That rules Alola out for Pokémon Switch (assuming that they will be curating a new engine), but they could toss in Gen 8's region into the Gen 9 postgame, assuming that Gen 9 is released during the lifespan of the Switch as well.

Of course it's a matter of development time. New generations take about 3 years to develop, if they wanted 2 it'd probably take them 4-5. It'd take them extra time and money to work on it and they probably won't get many more sales to justify the extra expenses, so it wouldn't be profitable.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DanteSolablood

@shadow-wolf Gamefreak kind of DO need to support the Switch, both Gamefreak & The Pokémon Company are part owned by Nintendo - it's in their best interest to further Nintendo's success. You could argue they could make as much money making their next game on the 3DS... but helping maximise the Switch's success helps their own.

As for rushing out an incomplete game... again I would say that Gamefreak would have been one of the earliest studios to receive a devkit & may have been working on it alongside Sun & Moon (hence rumours of exactly that). Unlike Trump, I don't think there's any rushin' involved!!

Please ignore that last pun.

Twitter:

shadow-wolf

@Octane @DanteSolablood Fair enough. You both are right in that they do have an interest in helping the Switch. But just to play devil's advocate - where was this interest for the 3DS when it took them 2.5 years to release a Pokemon game on it? Where was this interest for the DS when it took them around 3 years to release a Pokemon game? Granted, those systems are backwards compatible so maybe this is an apples to oranges comparison, but still.

That being said, I do think Pokemon is coming out either 2018 or early 2019. Idk, it just doesn't seem like a holiday 2019 game to me. If it does come out this year, hopefully it's what @DanteSolablood said that rumors claimed (due to early dev kits) rather than what other rumors claimed (GameFreak releasing a beta/incomplete game)

shadow-wolf

link3710

@shadow-wolf If it makes it any better, GameFreak started prepping for the leap to HD back during Gen V, so clearly the upcoming games have been under consideration for a long long time.

link3710

shadow-wolf

@link3710 Hopefully - you're right about the Pokemon models themselves. We'll see what they come up with in terms of the rest of the game.

shadow-wolf

DanteSolablood

@shadow-wolf You have a good point with the 3DS & DS release dates however Gamefreak did seem to release a new game around each handheld's launch - FIreRed/LeafGreen on the GBA in 2004, near enough the DS' launch & then Black/White for the DS in 2011 around the 3DS' launch... a new Pokémon to play on your new console which ALSO allows them to sell to owners of the previous console.

To summarise, Gamefreak was abusing backwards compatibility to maximising profits because business.

As speculative evidence of Gamefreak preparing for the Switch pre-announcement we have both the HD ready player/pokémon models which are well above what is required for the 3DS & the Switch control scheme baked into Sun/Moon... odd how the left d-pad is set up to work like individual buttons eh?

Usual discliaimer, everything is speculation until it isn't.

Edited on by DanteSolablood

Twitter:

DanteSolablood

@link3710 You're correct about the models, we've actually seen some of the Gen 5 models used in promotional material in the last few months with HD textures/shading... and nobody could work out where they came from as they looked fantastic. I believe it was Bulbasaur that caused all the hubbub.

I think @shadow-wolf might find this video of how the models in Sun/Moon look when rendered at 1080p, they're HD ready & only missing the textures. https://youtu.be/0qX5dcyQHes?t=1m1s

Edited on by DanteSolablood

Twitter:

shadow-wolf

@DanteSolablood You made a good point about business and how making a game for the previous system meant having an audience for both systems. Actually, that honestly does sound like the most logical argument for a Switch Pokemon game coming out this year.

And I actually saw a video of Sun and Moon in HD in the past, but still, looking at the video it is quite amazing how nice it looks. Some characters and Pokemon look a bit ... plasticky for lack of a better term, but that could probably be fixed up with some added textures.

shadow-wolf

Snagrio

I think it's important to look back at the follow-behind models in SM/USUM's data (walking and running models for every single Pokemon to date, even the USUM-exclusive newcomers), because that could potentially imply one of two things.

Either they planned to implement the follow feature fans have been clambering for ever since HGSS but just simply couldn't make it work without the 3DS imploding in on itself, or, the more likely answer, they had foresight and saved themselves some dev time by making all those models ready for an easier transference to HD when the time came. But it could just easily be a mixture of both guesses, especially with how blatantly they've teased the feature's return in USUM in the many overworld mons you can interact with (even the emoticons they use practically mirror those from HGSS).

As it has been discussed, GF is always ahead of the game in terms of what's coming up next, so it could be suggested that they've been at this longer than many would think. But whether this means gen 8 will arrive this year is still up in the air as far as anyone can tell. But we can definitely be rest assured that we will find out more soon.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Octane

@DanteSolablood @shadow-wolf The in-game models in gen 6 and 7 and the models from Pokemon GO are the exact same. Goes to show what improved textures and lighting can do.

Untitled = Untitled

Creatures is the company that made the 3D models.

Octane

-Green-

I'm hoping for good April Fools pranks tomorrow for this game.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Luna_110

I'd love if Gen VIII used a graphics style more in line with what Colosseum and Gale of Darkness had, but they'll probably stick with the current graphics, considering they are HD proofed already.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Bolt_Strike

-Green- wrote:

I'm hoping for good April Fools pranks tomorrow for this game.

Seconding this. With how desperate everyone is for information this game is just begging for it.

Bolt_Strike

Haruki_NLI

It does look like what I expected.

Remember the first DS game looked like a better GBA game with 3D assets.

Then BW happened.

Then the first 3DS game looked like BW only full 3D.

Then S/M happened

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic