Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 2,905

MarcelRguez

@KaiserGX When people in this forum behave like children I have the habit of checking their profile to see if they have their age displayed, yes.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

-Green-

@MarcelRguez I assumed we were talking about XY as a whole,

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

MarcelRguez

@-Green- I wasn't, personally. I was following on YummyHappyPills' point on how prominent gen-I-eveything has been in the last games, and how the amount of references in gen VI in particular worked to its detriment. They got better with the Sun and Moon games, if only because they make the tropical resort setting so aggressive.

Kalos had more than Kanto stuff going on, but the amount of Kanto stuff in the region was just disproportionate. Johto is just beside Kanto and it references its neighboring region to a much lesser extent, and the references are far less on the nose. It helps that it's a complete 180º compared to Kanto (technology vs. folklore), so the differences between both regions are more notable.

@KaiserGX

KaiserGX wrote:

That has nothing to do with the region or discussion at all

Ah, I forgot you're the master of making constructive posts here. Like this one, for instance:

KaiserGX wrote:

But... Viridian Forest...

You don't get to ask people for anything when your contributions to the discussion amount to nothing but borderline trolling.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

KaiserGX

@MarcelRguez Someone basically said what I was about to say so I didn't repeat what he said as he wrote it better than I would have. I mentioned it on the page before. I was making a point that you dismissed the whole region for not feeling like it had an identity based on a small number of things. Don't start calling me a troll or anything like that just because you don't like what I had to say. I was agreeing with Green's reply, don't look too much into it.

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Buizel

Kalos certainly had its own identiy. I've only played through XY once but off the top of my head, it was very thematically European, had an excellent soundtrack, had some interesting places like the haunted house / desert (sure, done before, but but there's a limited number of ways you can theme routes / areas), had an interesting central city in Lumiose, and had a fan-favourite professor in Sycamore. I also never really felt that it was pandering to Kanto - sure we had the Kanto starters, Viridian and stuff like Pidgey/Caterpie...but these were nice little nods and not really much in the grand scheme of things.

I think maybe it's the cumulative effect of Pokemon Go starting with Kanto Pokemon, and subsequently having Kanto alolan forms in SuMo which is getting to people. And bringing back Team Rocket, I guess. But...we haven't actually seen Kanto itself in ten years. And Nintendo could potentially use the region to tell a whole different story, and if they go for a reboot the region could potentially be very different. Do people complain about Mario returning to the Mushroom Kingdom, or Link to Hyrule? I think there's a lot of potential in going back to Kanto and, to be honest, I would rather we revisited older regions than produce so many new ones to the point that they become forgettable.

That said, I would be fairly disappointed if this was a straight-up remake where we are again restricted to the first 150 Pokemon. One of the most frustrating things about FRLG was being locked out of the National Dex - even from evolutions of the Kanto Pokemon.

Edited on by Buizel

Currently playing: Pokemon White (DS), Persona 4 Golden (PSVita), Transistor (Switch)

Tyranexx

I'm gone for twenty hours, and the thread jumps four pages. O_O

It'll probably be double that amount when we finally get a shred of actual news.

Video Corner: The Terrible Truth About Smash Bros.
Currently playing: Bravely Second: End Layer, any platformer on the SNES Classic

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

KaiserGX

@Buizel The argument against the Mushroom Kingdom and Hyrule, that I've heard of at least, is that it's always different in every game, where as Kanto has a set geological map. I think people are just afraid it's not going to change at all. The GBA remake added the islands... I feel like they can expand the story a bit better now with the way they've been doing things as of late and maybe explain some things a bit better. I want to see the Pokemon Mansion expanded.

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

MarcelRguez

KaiserGX wrote:

I was making a point that you dismissed the whole region for not feeling like it had an identity based on a small number of things.

No, you didn't make that point. You can't actually make that point if you don't bother to type anything but "But... Viridian Forest...".

Buizel wrote:

I think maybe it's the cumulative effect of Pokemon Go starting with Kanto Pokemon, having Kanto alolan forms in SuMo which is getting to people. And bringing back Team Rocket, I guess.

Can confirm. The worst part of this is that if GF didn't drip-feed people all these ideas across games the prospect of going back to Kanto again could be more exciting. Right now, it's just eh.

Buizel wrote:

Do people complain about Mario returning to the Mushroom Kingdom, or Link to Hyrule?

I want to address this separately because it strikes me as weird that you think everyone's fine with this. The Mushroom Kingdom has to be one of the most overused locations in all media by now. It's a setting so revered by any dev team at Nintendo that there's no room for surprises anymore. Speaking personally, it's the reason I can't touch a NSMB game and the main reason why I'm not enjoying Mario + Rabbids as much as I could, it feels like there's nothing new to discover in that place. Every other Mario setting is more interesting by virtue of being less milked. It's something 3D Mario in general has managed to avoid, thankfully.

It affects Zelda too. Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are fan-favorites for a reason: two of the Zeldas that don't take place in Hyrule are the more interesting games of the series in terms of narrative and world-building. Not saying you can't have this in Hyrule too, just that the framework you're working with is more restrictive.

MarcelRguez

Buizel

MarcelRguez wrote:

I want to address this separately because it strikes me as weird that you think everyone's fine with this. The Mushroom Kingdom has to be one of the most overused locations in all media by now. It's a setting so revered by any dev team at Nintendo that there's no room for surprises anymore. Speaking personally, it's the reason I can't touch a NSMB game and the main reason why I'm not enjoying Mario + Rabbids as much as I could, it feels like there's nothing new to discover in that place. Every other Mario setting is more interesting by virtue of being less milked. It's something 3D Mario in general has managed to avoid, thankfully.

It affects Zelda too. Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are fan-favorites for a reason: two of the Zeldas that don't take place in Hyrule are the more interesting games of the series in terms of narrative and world-building. Not saying you can't have this in Hyrule too, just that the framework you're working with is more restrictive.

I guess it was a bit of an over-generalisation. But I suppose it's also dependent on what is done with the setting.

People are very vocally fed up with NSMB and its setting...but that was four games within 6 years, I think that is expected. Yet people were very happy to see Peach's castle in Mario Odyssey. I guess with NSMB the gameplay doesn't really allow for much expansion on the setting, whereas full-roaming in 3D offers a lot more opportunity.

As for Zelda - for every Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask there's a Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Majora's Mask was also pretty much Hyrule (even the same assets as OoT) - it was moreso how Nintendo played with this in a darker setting. I've never heard of anyone specifically complaining that Hyrule is omnipresent - although I have heard complaints that Twilight Princess is a bit too similar to Ocarina of Time. Personally I like new games to be set in Hyrule - especially seeing how each game interprets the region, its inhabitants, etc.

TBH I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment by thinking of all the things Game Freak could potentially do with Kanto! I just don't think it has to be limiting, and could allow celebration of all of Pokemon's history rather than just Gen 1.

Edited on by Buizel

Currently playing: Pokemon White (DS), Persona 4 Golden (PSVita), Transistor (Switch)

Octane

Pokemon. Ruining friendships since 1986.

Octane

Snagrio

The only way I'll be okay with this whole "re-return" to Kanto nonsense is if this is just a stop-gap ploy to both reign in more nostalgic Go players' cash and buy them more time to work on the ACTUAL gen 8 game.

Because otherwise every subsequent leak we've been getting (the latest one in particular) has done nothing but kill any semblance of hype I could've had for this.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Snaplocket

@Snagrio A little positivity in this thread would be nice.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

IceClimbers

Next thing you know the rumors will be that there will only be Gen 1 movesets

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

DarthNocturnal

Special Attack and Special Defense merged back into Special. Now that would set the fandom ablaze.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Knuckles-Fajita

@DarthNocturnal Can we NOT make Amnesia the single most disgusting move known to mankind again?

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tyranexx

I always disliked Wrap/Bind/Fire Spin spam in Gen 1, personally.

Also, what if Crit worked like in Gen 1? Most Alolan Pokemon would be left in the dust.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Video Corner: The Terrible Truth About Smash Bros.
Currently playing: Bravely Second: End Layer, any platformer on the SNES Classic

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Snagrio

Tyranexx wrote:

I always disliked Wrap/Bind/Fire Spin spam in Gen 1, personally.

Also, what if Crit worked like in Gen 1? Most Alolan Pokemon would be left in the dust.

Pheromosa would go straight to Anything Goes if that happened.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

StuTwo

Most of the things that have been dropped down the years have been dropped because they were only ever half baked or hardly anyone actually spent much time playing them.

Like contests - a fantastic idea - maybe I want to be the best at sending my Pokemon into contests as an alternative to fighting. Cool. It also gave a real use to movesets and Pokemon that were useless in battle.

Great, except you had to commit to the battling to progress. You couldn’t level up via contests or learn new moves or get past even the most simple roadblocks in the game. Because of that (& the sheer length of contests) it was always going to be a peripheral mode.

Other things were only ever meant as tools or challenges for ultra hardcore players.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Octane

IceClimbers wrote:

Next thing you know the rumors will be that there will only be Gen 1 movesets

I'd like that! Just kidding of course, but I do appreciate the limited movesets and the difficulty it brings. GSC/RSE are better examples because the rest of the battle mechanics are more refined.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic