Forums

Topic: Is Nintendo resting on its laurels?

Posts 521 to 540 of 543

FaeKnight

And don't discount the 3rd party titles just because most of them aren't new games. The Capcom Beat-Em-Up Collection has me saying "Me want, me want NAO, me can't afford yet " The Final Fantasy games, well I already have them all on PS1 and PS2. I also rebought FF7 on my Vita, but that screen feels a bit too small for doing the game justice and it's a bit of a pain to 'switch disks'. And while I have all those Final Fantasy games already, my PS2 is starting to wear out. It's my 3rd PS2 console over the years, and likely to be my last one. So the ability to get those games on Switch? I'm interested. Especially if they have physical releases.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

JasmineDragon

I was starting to feel overwhelmed before the Direct. Now I'm feeling downright battered. The number of games I want from this Direct is just staggering. I'll never be able to afford all of them, and I'll never be able to fully play half the ones I can afford.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

skywake

Now that Animal Crossing and New SMB are confirmed I'm struggling to think of big franchises that are missing. At this stage the only games people are left asking about are things like Paper Mario, F-Zero, Star Fox (kinda) and even more down the list stuff like Mario Strikers, Kid Icarus and Tomodachi Life. Resting on their laurels? If anything they probably need to check their brakes. At this rate they're going to leave fans wondering what they're actually really wanting to see at the next Direct.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

1UP_MARIO

@JasmineDragon same situation. Too many games and no time to play them.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

kkslider5552000

Yorumi wrote:

I don't know I mean did like things in the direct but I do think there's something to be said when about 80% of the switch's library isn't new games but old ones.

I mean, that is true to a point, but I think it's more just the reality that every game is on everything if people are given the time and money to port things. Both the Wii and especially Wii U missed out on most multi-console games, so this is catching up on a lot that is new on Nintendo. And a lot of it is a ton of stuff in a short amount of time (Final Fantasy being a huge example of that, nearly half of the main Final Fantasy series will be on Nintendo for the first time ever in the span of about a year according to this)

There should absolutely be more exclusives in some way or another, but that's just not what most of the game industry wants to do it seems like...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Octane

skywake wrote:

Now that Animal Crossing and New SMB are confirmed I'm struggling to think of big franchises that are missing.

Starts with a 'P', and ends in 'ikmin'.

Octane

FaeKnight

@Octane What does a ghoulish artist dreamed up by Lovecraft have to do with Nintendo?

FaeKnight

kkslider5552000

Octane wrote:

skywake wrote:

Now that Animal Crossing and New SMB are confirmed I'm struggling to think of big franchises that are missing.

He said "big" franchises.

kkslider5552000

Yorumi wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Yorumi wrote:

I don't know I mean did like things in the direct but I do think there's something to be said when about 80% of the switch's library isn't new games but old ones.

I mean, that is true to a point, but I think it's more just the reality that every game is on everything if people are given the time and money to port things. Both the Wii and especially Wii U missed out on most multi-console games, so this is catching up on a lot that is new on Nintendo. And a lot of it is a ton of stuff in a short amount of time (Final Fantasy being a huge example of that, nearly half of the main Final Fantasy series will be on Nintendo for the first time ever in the span of about a year according to this)

There should absolutely be more exclusives in some way or another, but that's just not what most of the game industry wants to do it seems like...

I'm not really talking about multiplats though. Most of the games being ported aren't new releases they're games that are typically 5+ years old. All SE's stuff, katamari, d3, civilization, cities skylines, the wiiU ports, and the vast majority of the indies. They're all old games you could have played years ago and many did. I get the whole "it's new to me" crowd but still if you've played a video game outside of nintendo's systems it doesn't look as good.

I get that's all kind of the game industry now but it's sort of becoming silly. Rather than bother with any kind of backwards compatibility are we just going to port all old games continually?

That's because the vast majority are indie games, and major publishers have been making less games for a while. Like only now does it feel like AAA multi-platform games are even being released this year. Before this month there was like...DB FighterZ, Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, some sports games...and not a lot else. Some of these publishers are short sighted and only focusing on a few massive titles, with no room for anything that would likely run on the Switch. Now hopefully Octopath will open some eyes. Not just for exclusives, but that they can simply make less graphically intensive games in the first place so it launch on Switch the same day instead of needlessly making some overly expensive, pseudo-realistic game that will likely be overshadowed by even...minor cosmetic updates for Fortnite.

That's something I've been saying for a while. Honestly, unless you have genuine artistic reasons to do so, or are being paid by another company, there's no reason to make a game too powerful for Switch. It literally just means spending more money on better graphics so that your game has less people who can buy it.

FragRed

@Octane Your love of Pikmin is at dangerous levels. I hope Nintendo gets something announced soon before it destroys you

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

FaeKnight

Personally, I don't see what the big deal about Pikmin is. now, if they were to anounce Overlord 1 and 2 (with expansion for overlord 1) and (dare I dream?) an Overlord 3 coming to Switch, that would have me so excited I'd look for a time machine so I could buy it yesterday.

FaeKnight

EvilLucario

I tried multiple times to get into Pikmin. The last attempt I probably got the farthest, but other games took over so I abandoned it.

Maybe one day, I'll finally sit down and beat the first game with all 30 parts and it'll click. But currently I can't say it's for me.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

stockholmSyndrom

Yes i agree that Nintendo is resting, Look at the direct event, if you are over 21 there are no games coming out within the next year! Its already been months and months since anything decent was released, So this for me just shows how the switch is WII U 2.0.

Fans of the switch are getting restless iv noticed. This is going to go bad for Nintendo.

stockholmSyndrom

link3710

@stockholmSyndrom As someone who's 26, there's so many games coming out. I've never had a chance to play FF VII, IX or XII (Luckily we're getting a chunk of the ones I haven't played yet), Civ VI, Diablo III (though I have played 1 and 2), Onimusha, or Disagea 1 Complete, and all those interest me. There's so many games coming out, it'd be almost impossible to have played them all at release.

And for new titles I want, we're getting Doom Eternal, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Daemon X Machina, Travis Strikes Again, Pokemon 2019, Digimon Survive, Yoshi's Crafted World, Inazuma 11 Ares, Town and Trials Rising. Toss on top of that Capcom not having announced any 2019 titles yet, Koei Tecmo probably releasing at least 1 more new Warriors title, and there probably won't be enough time in the year for me to play all that.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

skywake

Octane wrote:

skywake wrote:

And in terms of historical performance has hovered around games like Paper Mario, Xenoblade, Mario Strikers and Kirby. It's well and truly in the B tier of Nintendo system movers. Actually this is probably another good time for a weekend round of chart making!

So what I've done is taken the top 10 selling Nintendo franchises from every Nintendo platform going back to the GBA. Going down the sales list the franchise that first appears gets 10, the second gets 9 etc, etc. If the same franchise appears twice? Then I skip it. I also make an effort to group "close enough" games together. If you then sort by the total what you get is this chart......

Untitled

Pikmin doesn't make the list landing behind Starfox on the GC and Yoshi on Wii U. Also once you get past Paper Mario the list in general gets a bit funky because of my methodology. In any case, you go pretty far down this list before you start asking what Nintendo are doing with this franchise.

1-2 Switch? It's their equivalent of Nintendo Land or Wii Sports/Play or Brain Training. Nintendogs? It's absent but I think it's fair to say that people have lost interest in this franchise. Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi? That's probably the biggest franchise we don't have an answer for on Switch yet.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

link3710

@skywake Interesting methodology, but it heavily favors series that have appeared on more platforms as they get more chances to rank, and ones with multiple entries on a single platform. Pikmin (main series anyways) has only gotten entries on two platforms, where one it was a new IP (that still was a consistent million seller, that's nothing to scoff at). I mean, Pikmin 3 might actually be in the top 10 (unless you counted 2D Mario 3 times) for Wii U if we knew accurate sales numbers for it. As it stands, we know it sold about the same as Tropical Freeze, which is on your chart. So considering it's only had two shots to get on the chart...

Eh I just think it's kind of misleading. With all three games estimated at over a million sales, that's good numbers for what it is.

link3710

Octane

I'd say it's as big as Paper Mario, Star Fox and F-Zero, and more relevant than the latter too. The franchise's biggest issue is that it only had three releases, on the GameCube and the Wii U...

Octane

electrolite77

@stockholmSyndrom

Is this a wind up? Are WUMs allowed on here?

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

kkslider5552000

Octane wrote:

I'd say it's as big as Paper Mario, Star Fox and F-Zero, and more relevant than the latter too. The franchise's biggest issue is that it only had three releases, on the GameCube and the Wii U...

I mean you're not wrong, but until it's a bigger franchise...it's not a bigger franchise.

I mean, Rhythm Heaven was screwed outside of the DS game, but I'm not gonna pretend it's anything above a C-list Nintendo series, as unfair as that is.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.