Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Posts 181 to 200 of 307

JaxonH

Not every franchise will make the same leaps.

That said I think Pokemon is looking absolutely delightful. If I were as much of a Pokemon fan as I am a Fire Emblem fan, I'd be just as excited.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, God Eater 3, Mario Maker 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy XII
PS4: Judgement
PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / Win2 / WiiU / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Snaplocket

@JaxonH Pokemon looks really bland to me and this is someone who thinks Gen VI was the best.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Fates was still, overall, a pretty great game. Story in Birthright wasn’t nearly as interesting as Awakening, and the characters were bland. Conquest had far better characters than Birthright but still fell short of Awakening’s, and the story was goofy. But I’ll be darned if it wasn’t some of the finest gameplay and best maps in the series to date. Even the DLC maps were better than most of the main maps in other mainline entries. Their map design was A game all the way. Even now Fates stands as my absolute favorite in the series when it comes to gameplay and map design.

Overall, Fates fell short, but overall it was still a pretty good game. When you have gameplay that good it really doesn’t matter how bad the story or characters are. They could literally strip out all the story and dialog, and the gameplay and map design would carry Fates.

Wouldn’t recommend playing it before Three Houses. But I would recommend playing them, at some point.

Echoes had way worse map design, and the gameplay was good but muted due to being a remake of the second game, and... The DLC was absolute garbage. But the story and characters were so good in that game, with surprisingly impressive voice acting, that it really made up for the more simplistic gameplay and maps. I’d recommend playing that one at some point too.

Of course, Three Houses is top priority now.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, God Eater 3, Mario Maker 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy XII

Jesus is Lord.

-Green-

My main complaint with Fates’ gameplay would be with the Pair Up mechanic and how the game overly revolves around it. The game is incredibly Aggro largely due to it and how frail most characters are. It basically forces you to either use it or get destroyed by the sheer number of enemies who will immediately pair up against you. So you’ll commonly have to turtle up and the game just breaks down to that

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

I think I was just in a low mood then. Getting caught off-guard with the whole three games (plus season pass) deal probably didn't help. And Canadian pricing, etc.

Shadows... just kinda slipped by. Although it wasn't the only one. I never did get DQ VIII like I meant to. My 3DS backlog is already absurd (although, so is my Switch backlog... I dunno, I rarely feel like playing it for whatever reason). So, what's a few more games?

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Heavyarms55

I feel like both this thread and the Pokemon Thread have turn into complaint-fests. :/

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55 wrote:

I feel like both this thread and the Pokemon Thread have turn into complaint-fests. :/

To be fair, everyone's mostly complaining about Fates for the umpteenth time rather than complaining about anything related to The Three Houses.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Ralizah

Fates deserves what it gets. How the heck does anyone manage to sit down and write a scenario as stupid as the one we got in Conquest? And didn't they get a mangaka or something to come in and write the script specifically to avoid messing it up?!

Sometimes I regret selling my Fates SE cartridge, but this is purely a materialistic impulse to own something rare. I wouldn't play it. As far as I'm concerned, Three Houses is the next worthwhile FE game since Awakening.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Snaplocket

Yeah, the writing in Fates (specifically Conquest and Revelations) is about as bad as it gets. The gameplay was fun though.

Tyranexx

I don't intend to play Revelation, but I heard that it was the worst of the three in most departments. Is this true?

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started
Currently playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun (post-game), Yoshi's Island (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I think the writing was bad specifically because they outsourced to that guy. He wrote it like a cheap anime.

I think they thought that by hiring him the story would be done right. And it turned out it was way worse than the quality of their in-house writing, which we see them going back to with this entry.

FE games have never had award-winning stories in any of their titles, no matter how many of the OG fans say otherwise. I like Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn too, but it was still par for the course in the series. And while people like to crap on Awakening, I thought the story was about as good as any other game in the series. The difference was the incredible characters and dialog in support convos. That’s what really elevated that game above the rest.

But this game, to me, feels like IS went back to the drawing board and said ok, dude screwed up the writing the last time we tried this, and we spread ourselves too thin with 3 releases, and we need to dial back on the anime fan service and apply a little more tact for this return to console entry. And the quality really shows it, I think. This game looks like what IS wanted to do before, but with proper execution and the benefit of learning from past mistakes, what works and what doesn’t, what’s well received and what isn’t, all while pushing into new territory with exciting new Persona-inspired gameplay additions.

It’ll all come out in the wash in the end, but from where I’m sitting I don’t think I can muster a single complaint about what I’ve seen so far with this game.

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

@JaxonH Yeah, the writing in the previous games aren't Shakespearean or anything (Echoes is probably the best storywise but even then it was a fairly standard fare fantasy plot), but Fates make those games look like Stephen King or George R. R. Martin in comparison. I only played Birthright and thought the writing was mediocre at best whereas Conquest and Revelations were up there with Sonic '06 in terms of writing and no, I'm not exaggerating.
ALL THAT SAID! I don't like how everyone's saying it's a bad game just because the story sucks. Gameplay should be more important ( for the most part), unless your one of those guys who thinks it's the least important part for some reason.

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
ALL THAT SAID! I don't like how everyone's saying it's a bad game just because the story sucks. Gameplay should be more important ( for the most part), unless your one of those guys who thinks it's the least important part for some reason.

And that is why I still enjoyed Fates. I didn’t enjoy as much as Awakening, but I really did enjoy the game simply because, as you say, the gameplay was immaculate. You could literally skip the cut scenes and conversations and just play the strategy aspect, and it was still better than 99% of other strategy games on the market.

That being said, I would have enjoyed it all the more if it had immaculate gameplay and an excellent story and great characters with solid dialog. Thankfully, Three Houses seems to be the full package and then some.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

For story I'd rank Fire Emblem:

Path of Radiance > Fire Emblem (GBA) > Radiant Dawn > Shadows of Valentia > Sacred Stones > Awakening > Fates (Birthright) > Shadow Dragon > Fates (Conquest)

Got around half way through Fates Conquest and it seems reasonable to put it below Shadow Dragon, haven't played any of Revelation.

For gameplay, my rankings would be:

Path of Radiance > Radiant Dawn > Fire Emblem (GBA) > Sacred Stones > Shadows of Valentia > Awakening > Fates > Shadow Dragon

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Heavyarms55

There hasn't been a Fire Emblem game I have played to completion and disliked. There are certainly some I like the story more and some I like the mechanics more, and some I like the art style more... but none that I actively dislike. I think the thing I have disliked the most in any FE game was the change from weapon durability to having strong weapons have debuffs instead. And even then, I got over that pretty quickly (though I am glad they seem to be ditching that and going back to durability!)

I had no real issues with Fates' story. I don't mind corny stories or awkward characters. Though I was not a fan of them breaking the game up into versions. That just felt like a money grab. (but as a long time Pokemon fan - I feel like I don't have the right to complain about that!)

Feel free to add me

Snaplocket

I'd play the older games but permadeath just ruins the experience for me. Everyone's gonna make a mistake now and then.

ALso @GrumbleVolcano Fates (imo) has much better gameplay then Shadows at the very least. Not that Shadow's gameply was bad. I'd even argue Fate's gameplay was more polished then Awakening's as well (although the game as a whole is worse imo).

Edited on by Snaplocket

-Green-

From what I’ve been told, Genealogy of the Holy War actually has an absolutely amazing story.

Heavyarms55

@Snaplocket Have you tried them? The GBA titles at least are certainly manageable. Especially Sacred Stones, as that game allows you to grind to eternity if you wish and then slaughter your way through levels like some kind of malevolent army of demi-gods.

Feel free to add me

Tsurii

@Ralizah I think I read about IS basically scrapping a very solid and coherent draft for Fates' story by whoever the mangaka who wrote it was and hacking it up into three parts in favor of that stupidass structure we got for the game/s.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

-Green-

I wouldn’t place the blame entirely on the mangaka. Fates had a very troubled development process. There was internal dispute over what direction the games should take, and the plot had a problem of too many cooks in the kitchen. So the plot and such ended up being incoherent and very messy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic