Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Posts 161 to 180 of 1,049

CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55 wrote:

I feel like both this thread and the Pokemon Thread have turn into complaint-fests. :/

To be fair, everyone's mostly complaining about Fates for the umpteenth time rather than complaining about anything related to The Three Houses.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

Fates deserves what it gets. How the heck does anyone manage to sit down and write a scenario as stupid as the one we got in Conquest? And didn't they get a mangaka or something to come in and write the script specifically to avoid messing it up?!

Sometimes I regret selling my Fates SE cartridge, but this is purely a materialistic impulse to own something rare. I wouldn't play it. As far as I'm concerned, Three Houses is the next worthwhile FE game since Awakening.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Tyranexx

I don't intend to play Revelation, but I heard that it was the worst of the three in most departments. Is this true?

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I think the writing was bad specifically because they outsourced to that guy. He wrote it like a cheap anime.

I think they thought that by hiring him the story would be done right. And it turned out it was way worse than the quality of their in-house writing, which we see them going back to with this entry.

FE games have never had award-winning stories in any of their titles, no matter how many of the OG fans say otherwise. I like Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn too, but it was still par for the course in the series. And while people like to crap on Awakening, I thought the story was about as good as any other game in the series. The difference was the incredible characters and dialog in support convos. That’s what really elevated that game above the rest.

But this game, to me, feels like IS went back to the drawing board and said ok, dude screwed up the writing the last time we tried this, and we spread ourselves too thin with 3 releases, and we need to dial back on the anime fan service and apply a little more tact for this return to console entry. And the quality really shows it, I think. This game looks like what IS wanted to do before, but with proper execution and the benefit of learning from past mistakes, what works and what doesn’t, what’s well received and what isn’t, all while pushing into new territory with exciting new Persona-inspired gameplay additions.

It’ll all come out in the wash in the end, but from where I’m sitting I don’t think I can muster a single complaint about what I’ve seen so far with this game.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
ALL THAT SAID! I don't like how everyone's saying it's a bad game just because the story sucks. Gameplay should be more important ( for the most part), unless your one of those guys who thinks it's the least important part for some reason.

And that is why I still enjoyed Fates. I didn’t enjoy as much as Awakening, but I really did enjoy the game simply because, as you say, the gameplay was immaculate. You could literally skip the cut scenes and conversations and just play the strategy aspect, and it was still better than 99% of other strategy games on the market.

That being said, I would have enjoyed it all the more if it had immaculate gameplay and an excellent story and great characters with solid dialog. Thankfully, Three Houses seems to be the full package and then some.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

For story I'd rank Fire Emblem:

Path of Radiance > Fire Emblem (GBA) > Radiant Dawn > Shadows of Valentia > Sacred Stones > Awakening > Fates (Birthright) > Shadow Dragon > Fates (Conquest)

Got around half way through Fates Conquest and it seems reasonable to put it below Shadow Dragon, haven't played any of Revelation.

For gameplay, my rankings would be:

Path of Radiance > Radiant Dawn > Fire Emblem (GBA) > Sacred Stones > Shadows of Valentia > Awakening > Fates > Shadow Dragon

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Heavyarms55

There hasn't been a Fire Emblem game I have played to completion and disliked. There are certainly some I like the story more and some I like the mechanics more, and some I like the art style more... but none that I actively dislike. I think the thing I have disliked the most in any FE game was the change from weapon durability to having strong weapons have debuffs instead. And even then, I got over that pretty quickly (though I am glad they seem to be ditching that and going back to durability!)

I had no real issues with Fates' story. I don't mind corny stories or awkward characters. Though I was not a fan of them breaking the game up into versions. That just felt like a money grab. (but as a long time Pokemon fan - I feel like I don't have the right to complain about that!)

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

-Green-

From what I’ve been told, Genealogy of the Holy War actually has an absolutely amazing story.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Heavyarms55

@Snaplocket Have you tried them? The GBA titles at least are certainly manageable. Especially Sacred Stones, as that game allows you to grind to eternity if you wish and then slaughter your way through levels like some kind of malevolent army of demi-gods.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

-Green-

I wouldn’t place the blame entirely on the mangaka. Fates had a very troubled development process. There was internal dispute over what direction the games should take, and the plot had a problem of too many cooks in the kitchen. So the plot and such ended up being incoherent and very messy

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Dezzy

So to bring it back to Three Houses....do we know if you'll be able to explore multiple areas in the game, or is it just that monastery/school/academy place?

I actually quite enjoyed the dungeons in Echoes, even if the battles were mindnumbingly simplistic and repetitive.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

Snaplocket wrote:

I'd play the older games but permadeath just ruins the experience for me. Everyone's gonna make a mistake now and then.

ALso @GrumbleVolcano Fates (imo) has much better gameplay then Shadows at the very least. Not that Shadow's gameply was bad. I'd even argue Fate's gameplay was more polished then Awakening's as well (although the game as a whole is worse imo).

I'm not a fan of the way weapons are handled in Fates and really dislike the way paralogues are handled in both Awakening and Fates (it's pretty much get married, have a child, paralogue is based around the child).

If there's paralogues in Three Houses, I hope it's more like Fire Emblem (GBA).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

alpacatears

Just saw the released video about the Black Eagle house and I'm starting to get pretty excited. It seems each week is going to be dedicated to a different house. I'm fully on the hype train at this stage

alpacatears

SNES64DD

Sigh. Another game I might have to skip for later. #TOOMANYGAMES
Been playing since Awakening and enjoying myself so far.

I would love it if Sega would put Sakura Wars on the Switch.

SNES64DD

Switch Friend Code: SW-6514-9557-3207 | My Nintendo: SNES64DD | Nintendo Network ID: SNES64DD

JaxonH

Never got the appeal of Sakura Wars. It looks so low budget, basically just a cheap visual novel with some light tactical gameplay here and there. Didn’t look appealing in the slightest.

I mean, I hope it comes over, just for the sake of anyone who wants to play it on Switch, and I might even be persuaded to give it a try if it did, but honestly, if Fire Emblem is A-tier, that game looks D-tier. That’s not to say lower budget style SRPGs can’t be good. Stella Glow was a fabulous hidden gem on 3DS. Really hope they port that game over or release a sequel.

Anyways, preload is live! Expansion pass bundle preload is also live! But you can’t preload the expansion pass separately, which sucks for people using a voucher for the base game. Oh well. I’ll just have to grab the expansion pass on release day.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

@JaxonH The new Sakura Wars is being developed by the Valkyria Chronicles team. It's going to be fantastic. One of the few PS4 games I'm ready and willing to purchase at or near launch.

Unless it gets a Switch version, but I'm not expecting that to happen.

Can't speak for the older games, though.

Besides, it's not like most of the Fire Emblem games have been particularly big budget experiences themselves.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

New footage released, and my goodness these maps are fantastic!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

@Ralizah
I’ll have to take a look when it’s out. Hearing it’s the same developers as VC does change my perception of its potential, but even VC never reached the heights of FE for me on a strategy level. I love that series, don’t get me wrong, but more for how unique it is, and the art style. Not sure how well they’d do with classic grid based tactics. Sakura Wars reminds me of Robot Wars T. Which, it’s a good game, not great. And from what I’ve gathered, 80% of the gameplay is visual novel style, with only 20% being strategic battles. So it kind of feels like it’s not actually a strategy game, but visual novel with a touch of strategy to mix it up, as opposed to a strategy game with a touch of visual novel to mix it up. Maybe that’ll change for the new one, who knows. And that’s not to say dialog can’t be interesting. AI Somnium Files is a game I’m interested in. It’s just not a game I’m as interested in.

But yeah, the previous games aren’t doing it any favors I’d say. The new one looks like they stepped up the production values so that’s a plus, but as for gameplay, right now the previous games are all I have to go on. I watched some gameplay of the previous entry for both visual novel and strategy segments, and it wasn’t doing anything for me. The new one seems to be an improvement, and, it looks... fine. Like I said, I might be persuaded to check it out if it came to Switch, but I’m not interested enough at the moment to buy it on another platform.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

@JaxonH Just saying: the new one has a good pedigree, and, Sonic games aside, Sega-published titles are almost always really high quality.

I also like the idea of a hybrid strategy game and social/dating sim. I think a lot of people do. In fact, I think the way Awakening bumped up the social and romantic elements are a big reason why the series even exists as a thing today. I also think this emphasis is why the Persona series is a lot more popular than the SMT games, despite recent-ish games in that series being flat out superior in a lot of ways.

I guess it could be mediocre. But, unless reviews are unflattering or early footage douses my enthusiasm, it's definitely one of my top upcoming games.

While we're on the topic of "games that really need to come to Switch," I should mention Ys IX: Monstrum Nox. The footage we've seen makes it looks fantastic. Ys VIII is already one of the best games on the Switch.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I agree it’s a good mix. It’s one of the aspects of FE I love... provided it’s in the correct proportional mixture (like a recipe, each ingredient can be good on its own but when mixed with the wrong proportions you can get a terrible result), and when the dialog is endearing enough to make you truly feel attached to the characters. When the vast majority of gameplay is not strategy, I stop seeing it as a strategy game and start seeing it as a visual novel that has strategy elements. Which... is totally fine. I actually find that far more appealing than a straight visual novel. And the new one seems like they’ve elevated the game beyond just a visual novel. Seems they gave you some areas to run around in and stuff, which is great.

I’m totally open to having my opinion change if the game proves to be really good. I never dig my heels in and close off my mind from valid persuasion. If the game truly does prove to be that good I’ll probably pick it up. It just doesn’t seem as hype as some people are talking about it. Like Catherine Full Body. People hyping that game up like it’s the next Persona. I played that game and it was wack. The gameplay literally had you climbing blocks with sheep in your boxer shorts. I’ve learned that people hyping up a game from a developer with pedigree doesn’t always translate to a great game. Then again, sometimes it does. I’ll be curious to get your opinion on the game once it’s released.

Edited on by JaxonH

BruceCM

Ralizah wrote:

While we're on the topic of "games that really need to come to Switch," I should mention Ys IX: Monstrum Nox. The footage we've seen makes it looks fantastic. Ys VIII is already one of the best games on the Switch.

I'm sure Ys IX will be coming... People developing focus on 1 platform & then it gets ported & localized Like Ys VIII started with the Vita, then got added content for PS4, then got ported to Switch

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic