Forums

Topic: Achievements?

Posts 361 to 380 of 420

shaneoh

Lethal wrote:

I knew it was a bad game from the very start but I did not care. I got what I was after and the developer made an extra sale. And when I was done with the game I gave it to my daughter.

Not only did you reward a developer for making a terrible game, you inflicted said game upon your poor daughter? For shame sir, for shame.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

MarcelRguez

@Lethal Share some of those gems, please. I'm dying to read about what treasures you've unearthed.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Lethal

@MarcelRguez Quite a few actually. I will post some of them later. But knowing you, you will just say something like "that is not a gem, it is only a 7 on metacritic"

Most of the "hidden gems" I found on the PS Vita. A few on the PS4 and XB1 as well.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

MarcelRguez

@Lethal Metacritic is a garbage site, so don't think you know me that much.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Lethal

MarcelRguez wrote:

@Lethal Metacritic is a garbage site, so don't think you know me that much.

Well it is spot on with critic reviews. User reviews are crap. Developers use Metacritic to see their overall critic rating on their games.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

MarcelRguez

@Lethal Ok, so you better not post anything with a >7 on Metacritic then.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Ryzaerian

@lethal Why bother? You don’t have to justify or prove anything to a handful of ornery, self-righteous jackasses who think their opinion is important enough to speak against the majority of players who absolutely want to see achievements on the Switch.

This decision won’t be made here, and it sure as hell won’t be decided by some of the ridiculous, delusional opinions presented in this thread.

Screw ‘em. Don’t waste your time. These clowns would (and probably will) argue in front of a mirror of you didn’t give them an outlet.

I hope achievements come to the Switch. I know you do too, as do the majority of us. These guys, and their trashy, bitter opinions, don’t matter. Not one bit.

Here’s the bottom line:

The three largest gaming platforms in existence have an achievement/trophy system. In fact, demand was so high, that Sony had to add trophies mid-generation, and implement them retroactively into existing games.

These systems were implemented because the overwhelming majority of players wanted them. Period. There would have been no other feasible cause.

If Nintendo wants to be taken seriously as a gaming platform, they will catch up with achievements and cloud saves. And all of the whiny protesting from a small, albeit loud, minority won’t change that.

Edited on by Ryzaerian

Friend Code: SW-4697-0836-1490

Currently playing: Warframe, Diablo 3, Splatoon 2, Paladins, Zelda: BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Bastion.

“...and we will send you to whatever god you wish.”

shaneoh

Ryzaerian wrote:

Why bother? You don’t have to justify or prove anything to a handful of ornery, self-righteous jackasses who think their opinion is important enough to speak against the majority of players who absolutely want to see achievements on the Switch.

Again I would like to see some proof that the majority of gamers want "achievements" on the Switch.

Ryzaerian wrote:

This decision won’t be made here, and it sure as hell won’t be decided by some of the ridiculous, delusional opinions presented in this thread.

Not so delusional that I believe I speak for the majority of gamers.

Ryzaerian wrote:

Screw ‘em. Don’t waste your time. These clowns would (and probably will) argue in front of a mirror of you didn’t give them an outlet.

I've tried that, hoenahS makes some very good arguments.

Ryzaerian wrote:

I hope achievements come to the Switch. I know you do too, as do the majority of us. These guys, and their trashy, bitter opinions, don’t matter. Not one bit.

I'll have you know I'm 100% matter.

Ryzaerian wrote:

The three largest gaming platforms in existence have an achievement/trophy system. In fact, demand was so high, that Sony had to add trophies mid-generation, and implement them retroactively into existing games.

It isn't mandatory on Steam, which suggests that it isn't essential. How did those poor PS3 players enjoy their games without "achievements?"

Ryzaerian wrote:

These systems were implemented because the overwhelming majority of players wanted them. Period. There would have been no other feasible cause.

Or because people with a touch of OCD would buy terrible games just for a few imaginary reward points. I think lethal has already made that point clear.

Ryzaerian wrote:

If Nintendo wants to be taken seriously as a gaming platform, they will catch up with achievements and cloud saves.

Amazing Nintendo have lasted this long as "achievements" seem to be holding it back from being a serious gaming platform

Ryzaerian wrote:

And all of the whiny protesting from a small, albeit loud, minority won’t change that.

I'm not the one whining that Nintendo doesn't have an "achievement" system. You've also no evidence to show that you aren't the minority (FYI, "because you say so" isn't evidence).

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

SuperJoon

To be fair, there's people that want achievements and there are those that don't. I personally would love to see them, it gives an extra dynamic to playing games, doing something or going for something that you may not have normally done so.

Those who don't want them though, what harm does it do to you? Does it affect the way you play games? I wouldn't have thought so, albeit a little pop up every now and then when you get something, it doesn't take anything away to you playing the game.

This is why I don't understand people arguing over it.

NNID: SuperJoon | PSN: KingJoonToon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

SuperJoon wrote:

Those who don't want them though, what harm does it do to you? [...] This is why I don't understand people arguing over it.

If you really want to understand it, read the thread. People can only copy-paste the same arguments so many times.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Shellcore

I think the general feeling is that those that don't want achievements would be fine if they could be turned off and not be visible at all when playing. I'm down with that. I really would like to see a system implemented, but can understand why others don't see the attraction. A simple on/off switch for notifications in the settings menu would solve this (or I have this completely wrong).

MarcelRguez

Ok guys, we're doing this again:

MarcelRguez wrote:

Offering "rewards" on a system level streamlines the work of so, so many devs. It breeds laziness in anything design related, since they can hand these generic rewards instead of, say, anything that reconfigures how the player interacts with the game. In fact, playing any game with system-integrated achievements is to play two different games at once: the game and the gamified OS/system. That people fail to realize that incorporating the latter into the former would make the core experience more inherently rewarding is just baffling to me.

Studios that pander to the lowest common denominator don't have to make actual achievements inherently rewarding anymore: the system can carry that part of what used to be game design. Since achievement culture is a thing, people will do them anyway for the sake of meaningless, immersion-breaking completion. When you have people stating that they're only beating (if not completing) games that they aren't even enjoying just to get all achievements, that's definite proof of people being more engaged with the gamified system than with games as a whole.

MarcelRguez wrote:

I even mentioned in another post that I usually have less of a problem with achievements that are integrated correctly into the game (think Shovel Knight on a Nintendo system/with notifications off) because they a) don't clash aesthetically with the game proper, b) don't feel like an intrusion of the platform into the game (meaning, product placement) and c) I can be sure the devs had the intention of adding them in the first place.

MarcelRguez wrote:

Gamification in general strikes me as a morally dubious way of keeping people engaged, and at its most extreme is one of the clearest examples of inhumane design. Here's a pretty decent article about how that's affecting our regular lives already

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Lethal

shaneoh wrote:

Again I would like to see some proof that the majority of gamers want "achievements" on the Switch.

I would like to see proof that they don't.......

There is no reason in the world why anyone would say no to something that adds to their games. That is all the proof you need.

You really do cry an awful lot. I swear you think that whatever Nintendo chooses it is the right choice.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

SleepyOtus

I don't want achievements either.
Never liked the concept, and probably never will.

SleepyOtus

Lethal

SleepyOtus wrote:

I don't want achievements either.
Never liked the concept, and probably never will.

Good thing they are optional....

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

shaneoh

Lethal wrote:

I would like to see proof that they don't.......

I'm not saying that the majority don't, I don't have those numbers, Ryzaerian is, so the onus is on him to prove what he is saying is accurate.

Lethal wrote:

There is no reason in the world why anyone would say no to something that adds to their games. That is all the proof you need.

Hellooooo Loot boxes. But yeah, take away "achievements" and the game doesn't change, still functions the same. But then I've already said this.

Lethal wrote:

You really do cry an awful lot.

If there are tears, they are tears of laughter that you bought and played Hannah Montana

Lethal wrote:

I swear you think that whatever Nintendo chooses it is the right choice.

Shouldn't swear, it's bad manners

Lethal wrote:

Good thing they are optional....

Been over this point too.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Scrummer

Shaneoh vs. the world

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Ryzaerian

Scrummer wrote:

Shaneoh vs. the world

He’s an irrelevant troll, desperately fighting for recognition and validation. He actually thinks dissecting text and offering up failed, obnoxious attempts at wit is impressive to anyone aside from his mother.

Edited on by Ryzaerian

Friend Code: SW-4697-0836-1490

Currently playing: Warframe, Diablo 3, Splatoon 2, Paladins, Zelda: BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Bastion.

“...and we will send you to whatever god you wish.”

EvilLucario

Holy ****, this thread is going in circles lmao.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Lethal

shaneoh wrote:

Been over this point too.

There is nothing to go over. They are optional.

It really baffles me how you can not just simply say that achievements are not for you but can understand why many out there enjoy them. Nintendo should bring some sort of similar system to their console since the other consoles do have them and are enjoyed by many gamers out there.

There, I did it for you.....

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Top

Sorry, this topic has been locked.