Forums

Topic: Zelda's Wii U-Turn to NX

Posts 321 to 340 of 641

LetsGoRetro

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

What I don't seem to understand is how this thread suddenly went from talking Zelda to talking NX. -_-

The thread is about ZeldaU becoming an NX launch title in 2016.

That's only possible if NX launches in 2016.

So @skywake and @octane have led the charge to show why NX is not a home console launching in 2016 so they can maintain the stance that ZeldaU is coming to only to WiiU (barring a later port type situation)

LetsGoRetro

NintendoFan64

LetsGoRetro wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Nintendo experienced it's first 2 or 3 years of losses in a very long time, due primarily to the poor performance of the Wii U. It was essentially saved by the 3DS. Now, the sales did get a little better, slugging along recently to finally hit the dreaded Dreamcast milestone. The 3DS continues to sell fairly well. They've recently released the New 3DS and have games specifically for it, that cannot play on the regular 3ds model. The 3ds has went from 'very good' to 'good' sales, whereas the Wii U has went from 'abysmal' to 'very bad' sales. Do you believe Nintendo's focus is on cutting the 3ds short and continuing the Wii U for another year or 2? Why on earth would this be a good idea?

I was never getting at the the 3DS eing replaced. Let me try again: You said that sales for the Wii U have improved. If it actually starts to make a little bit more money, why would Nintendo suddenly pull the plug as opposed to actually letting it go on just a bit longer now that it's actually profitable?

You may not have been specifically trying to say the 3ds is being replaced, but you joined into a conversation on that, that I was already responding to. @Octane is suggesting if it is a 2016 release, it's more likely to be a portable than home console. So, the conversation was very much about the 3ds getting replaced.

To answer your question, it's because it would be a bad business practice to keep dragging along a console that is selling poorly and getting it's butt whipped by it's competition for the next 2 years under the logic "Well, it's selling better than it WAS and atleast it's making a TINY BIT of profit!" I know you're saying you're not mentioning the 3ds being replaced, but in response to @Octane thinking the NX is a portable console, I would take your question about the Wii U and apply it to the 3DS. If you can ask:

"Why would nintendo cut the wii u if it's finally making a very small profit?"

then, you can SURELY ask:

"Why would nintendo keep the wii u going with it's tiny profits and cut it's portable line that has consistently made decent profits?"

Keep the poor selling line and go and cut off the good selling one to replace it with something unproven. is that not a possibly fatal mistake when your home console is getting it's tail kicked by Sony?

Alright, but what if, and just hear me out here: It's a 2017 release? Taking all of the rumors and stuff aside, what if it's released in 2017? Then it would make sense for either one of the console to get the axe. The Wii U because it's been kept as long as it can to make some money, and the 3DS because I think after about 6 years it's time to move onto something else.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Many agree 18 months is a very reasonable number to port a game. We heard the dev kits went out a month or 2 ago. Now, I doubt we heard about them the day they went out, but let's say we pretty much did. 18 - 2 = ?? Right, 16. Ok, so now let's say it's recently in December of 2016, that gives us 13 months from now, riiiiight? What's 16 - 13?? 3 months, right? That means ports can be coming in within the first 3 months of system release. AKA- There is plenty of time for third party games to hit launch window. It's very likely that we didn't hear about these kits RIGHT when they came, either, guys. So these companies could've had close to 2 years now to be making ports, exclusives, etc. It isn't as rushed as everyone wants to pretend.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/rumour_nx_set_for_20...

@octane @skywake

Game over, boys! I hope everyone who said how stupid I was doesn't disappear! (Gee, I wonder if that'll happen)

It was common sense, guys. I told you. I know it's under rumor, but it's obvious it's happening if you're paying attention!

When I was going with how little time third-parties had to develop, it was because you stated that the rumor was obviously happening. Now you're saying it's happening during the holidays, which goes against the rumor that you've stated is happening, which stated that the NX is being released in Q2 of next year. Which is it? And as for the launch window...what about the launch DATE? I think it's important for them to have something available the day the system arrives!

I don't know exactly when it's arriving. My gut tells me Holiday 2016. The rumor doesn't say that it knows when it's releasing, it simply suggests some options. It only says how many systems they're expecting to SHIP, so for all I know, they are planning to release it Holiday 2016 and are planning a huge initial shipment because they are expecting insane sales because they think they have something amazing and groundbreaking on their hands.
Of course, another option could be, like I've said many times, I don't believe we heard about the dev kit rumors right as they came about, so maybe we heard about them 6 months after they came out.. in that scenario, the NX could come out in June and have enough time for 3rd parties. Who knows. I just very strongly believe it's coming in 2016 with a brand new Zelda title baby!

1.Has Nintendo ever had such high expectations before?
2. The rumor stated that it would be released at some point around Q2 next year, so it states a general idea.
3.We'd have had to have heard of the rumors a bit longer than six months after the fact in order for the NX to be released in June.
4. Still need something on launch date!

[/quote]

[/quote]

1. I'm honestly not sure but I don't think it's overly relevant as that shouldn't be a factor to sway anyone's opinion. They have that expectation now, which means they either feel they have something totally awesome, or it's a hybrid and it's causing them to shoot for the moons numbers wise because they're expecting it to cover both markets, so they're maybe combining the expectations they'd have for a home and portable console?
2. It does state that as a possibility, yes.
3. I don't know how things have been going behind the scenes. For all we know, they have been spending the last 3 years building 3rd party relationships. I just don't know.
4. Like... Zelda? Zelda and a 3d Mario(That team's been working on something for a while now). Along with Pikmin 4 (confirmed almost finished). Plus whatever Retro has been working on (that team has also been working on something for a while now) Then some 3rd party games. That sounds like a real decent start to a launch lineup, no? It has me excited.

[/quote]
1. But doesn't at least seem SOMEWHAT unrealistic?
2. If they've been rebuilding third-party relationships for a couple of years, then wouldn't we have gotten more support from thrid parties on the Wii U in recent years?
3. That does sound decent, but I'm not sure if third-parties will have had enough time in order to make it to launch.
4. I highly doubt that Pikmin 4 will be on anything other than Wii U. If it's close to completion, it probably reuses assets from Pikmin 3.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Wow, ok, here we go. How am I bringing this 13 months left argument and then SOMEHOW turning it into 15?

Let's do it like this: It has ALREADY been close to a couple months since we heard about the dev kits, and we have close to 13 MORE months until December 2016. 13 + 2 = 15. YOU'RE the one repeating yourself? Octane. How simple is this math? 2 MONTHS AGO. 13 MORE MONTHS TO GO. THAT EQUALS 15. Now for the kicker! "LAUNCH WINDOW" is not the same as launch day. They schedule games for LAUNCH WINDOWS, which is the first few months of a console's release or so. They don't go and release every single game they have on the very first day of a console's release.

You are honestly not getting this? If you're not, let's just agree to disagree, because there are other people in this thread that, even though they don't agree with me, we atleast have basic understanding of what the other person is saying. I don't mean this offensively, but: Are you very young? Like maybe, 13, 14 ish? I'm genuninely asking. Something just isn't right so I just want to know what's missing here.

1. Yes, they shouldn't release everything at once, but they still need SOMETHING on the launch date!
2. Getting a little sassy here, aren't we?

1. You're repeating yourself now, man, I just answered that!
2. No, I don't feel I am I'm talking to someone for upwards of 14 or so pages (forget when he joined in the thread) and he genuinely is having difficulty understanding how something we have known for about 2 months and have about another 13 months to go comes close to 15 months. He also doesn't understand how that 15 months easily brings us into a launch window that consists of atleast a few months. How can I explain that basic math to somebody like 8 times without him understanding before I start to feel maybe he is just a young kid. I"m not trying to be mean or rude. But, come on.

[/quote]

[/quote]
1. Already replied.
2. What have we known for about 2 months? A rumor that may or may not even be true?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

WiiWareWave

Ugh..stop wasting your time, it's impossible to reason with him folks.

Edited on by WiiWareWave

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

they have a freudian slip of sorts (spelling?) and mention how whether or not Zelda is slipping from Wii U to NX

People are reading into all sorts of things. After you started this thread there was a Nintendo Direct where they literally said word for word "Twilight Princess HD AND the brand new Zelda game. Headed to Wii U" before flashing 2016 on the screen. But lets ignore that entirely because someone made a VLOG.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I also really doubt they make this New 3DS if the next portable comes in '16.

You mean like how they released the Wii Mini the month after the Wii U launched? Or the DSi two years before the 3DS launched? Maybe you've forgotten the GBA where they released the SP a year before the DS and the Micro a year after. Or go back to the Gameboy Color which launched just barely over two years before the GBA. The New 3DS isn't proof of anything.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

The stores lowering the expectations to the 12 mill range does seem to suggest it is a home console and Nintendo is being overly optimistic

I'll say it again. Nintendo estimated that the Wii U would sell 9mill units by December 2013. That was their sales prediction that turned out to be a bit too optimistic because they ended up only selling 5mill. In terms of a home console though 9mill by the end of the first year calendar year is far from insane. The Wii U is the only home console out of the last 6 that hasn't hit that number.

As for how portables do in comparison it's a bit rough. They don't launch at the same timeframe and unlike the home console space the amount of competition in dedicated portables has dropped. Sony is no-longer in the race, Nintendo has a monopoly so you can assume they'd grab some of that market. As an approximation the entire portable market sits at around 20mill/year with Nintendo taking about 75% of it. By comparison the home console market is about 30mill/year with Sony taking about 50% of it. For which one is 20mill in the first year more of a fantasy?

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BlueSkies

This thread = Something chocolate colored hitting a fan

Everything is crashing down on arguments that NX isn't launching in 2016, Zelda isn't launching with NX and NX won't be a home console.
It's happening.
Untitled

BlueSkies

shaneoh

BlueSkies wrote:

Everything is crashing down on arguments that NX isn't launching in 2016, Zelda isn't launching with NX and NX won't be a home console.
It's happening.

If that's what you think then I don't believe you've been reading any of the arguments against.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

skywake

BlueSkies wrote:

1. The NX is launching in 2016 argument has always been plausible. The only change is that now it's based on a rumour rather than just speculation. But being a rumour it by definition could be well off the mark.

2. The argument that it has to be a home console is probably the most persistent one. It's really all a question of timing if you ask me. I don't think anyone doubts that we'll get a new Nintendo home console sooner rather than later. I think its fair to say that the same is true for Nintendo's portables. The bigger question is which one comes out first. We really have to consider the possibility that the NX, the one that comes out first, is actually a portable system. Nothing said so far has ruled that possibility out. Infact if anything the recent "20mill shipped in 2016" rumour and the possibility of a quick turn around make a portable seem far more likely.

3. The Zelda is launching with and on the NX speculation is just that. There is literally no evidence to go on for this one. All we know about Zelda U is that it's a Zelda game that they're planning to release on the Wii U in 2016. Worse yet for this theory based on nothing is that it requires #1 & #2 to also be true.

So it may not happen.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Octane wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Why is a home console released next year virtually impossible to do well. That is such an odd, and incorrect, statement to make.

PS4 is doing extremely erll and i remember a year or so before its lainch MANY were saying in the comments it was way too early and they felt they hadnt gotten enough out of their PS3 yet.

"its virtually impossible to do well of its a home console releasing in 2026, itll do better if it launches in 2017". You have provided zero reasoning for this that was convincing.

What a coincidence that this rumor comes out right as I make this thread. This is all so obvious based on common sense.

Still surprised why a home console is unlikely? There's about 300 pages of people trying to explain that to you.

Nobody is worried about the Wii U's lifespan, again, for the umpteenth time.

Wait, wait, wait. You can't be telling me you think people in this thread have been doing a good job explaining that to me? haha. Friend. I have completely shut down any argument like that anyone has tried to make. If you want to ignore the fact, go ahead. But don't be silly and say things like this. That's almost as silly as posting something like "nobody is worried about the Wii U's lifespan". You may not have noticed, but, it's kind of related to the point. Yeesh, man, you just say anything and everything to convince yourself you're making a point.

It's not about the Wii U's lifespan, it's about the launch of the NX. If it's a home console coming in 2016, despite the fact that that's very unlikely, I don't expect its launch to be any good. That's what this argument is about. I'm not sure what else I have to tell you to convince you that I'm indifferent towards the length of the Wii U's lifespan.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Octane wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

If you're going to jump in a thread and start all this, atleast read the last few pages. Do you know how many pages of this thread are about this third party thing you mention? It's ridiculous. So, here you go: It's been a month or 2 since we heard dev kits went out. It's November and Holiday 2016 means it's still 12 or 13 months from NX's release. What does that add up to? 14 or 15 months, right? That's not taking into account that companies likely had the dev kits before we heard about them. Good ports take about 18 months or so, I've read. That leaves plenty of time for them to hit the launch window. I'm not answering this question again man, lol. Enough. Simple math.

I suggest you do the same, you keep bringing up this ''13 months left'' argument and somehow turn that into a 15 month development window, which equals about 18 months. I've corrected you several times on this, but you keep ignoring this. I we're looking at a holiday 2016 release date, 12 months are left in theory. In practise? That means that they just started with planning and concepts. You expect them to have something playable at E3 in about 6 months and have a finished product a few months later just in time to get the games printed, manufactured and shipped to the stores? If you think that's enough, don't be surprised when this console turns out to be another major flop.

At this point it feels as if I'm just repeating things...

Wow, ok, here we go. How am I bringing this 13 months left argument and then SOMEHOW turning it into 15?

Let's do it like this: It has ALREADY been close to a couple months since we heard about the dev kits, and we have close to 13 MORE months until December 2016. 13 + 2 = 15. YOU'RE the one repeating yourself? Octane. How simple is this math? 2 MONTHS AGO. 13 MORE MONTHS TO GO. THAT EQUALS 15. Now for the kicker! "LAUNCH WINDOW" is not the same as launch day. They schedule games for LAUNCH WINDOWS, which is the first few months of a console's release or so. They don't go and release every single game they have on the very first day of a console's release.

You are honestly not getting this? If you're not, let's just agree to disagree, because there are other people in this thread that, even though they don't agree with me, we atleast have basic understanding of what the other person is saying. I don't mean this offensively, but: Are you very young? Like maybe, 13, 14 ish? I'm genuninely asking. Something just isn't right so I just want to know what's missing here.

Thanks.

All right, let's keep the ad hominem arguments out of this.

The rumour about the dev kits being shipped was from October (which was actually one month ago when I posted that reply), but it's now December, but what difference does it make? The time between the dev kits being shipped to a 2016 NX release is just a little over a year, assuming the console comes out in November at its latest. So even with your December release, that's still 14 months. I don't want to keep nitpicking on your argument, but as you as you keep telling me it's ''simple maths'', I will do so.

I understand the difference between launch window and launch date. However, you must keep in mind that the Wii U had 34 games available on its first day in NA. Two of them were developed by Nintendo themselves, but 32 were third party games. Assuming that 20-30 games is the least you should expect on a launch day, that's still 20-30 games we're talking about that need to be ready for its launch on the first day. Expecting 5 ports on day one and other titles to roll out later isn't a viable market strategy. That isn't going to sell a console and that's exactly my point. It's insane to expect so many games to be ready in just ''13 months'', and we're not talking about 13 months of development time, that's including manufacturing, shipping, planning, testing the dev kits and whatnot. Let's not forget that the Wii U's dev kits had been out at least a year and half before its launch. We already had actual reports, not just rumours, from third party developers from Spring 2011 talking about the Wii U dev kit.

Octane

smashbrolink

If the NX launches in 2016, Nintendo will be screwing themselves over.
Rushing development of games to fit into a launch before they've even given themselves enough time to get used to the tech, is what made it impossible for both third parties and Nintendo themselves to bulk up the launch line-up with a ton of worthwhile games for the Wii U.
Even if the NX turns out to be close to the PS4 and XBone, you KNOW that Nintendo likes doing things differently, so there's GOING to be some sort of learning curve.
Releasing in 2016 will just be the Wii U all over again; Nintendo won't have any titles to show for it that will draw a crowd unless it's natively BC with the Wii U, which WILL be getting Zelda U, and third parties won't have anything to show for it, because all the games people really want, are already a huge way into development on other systems, and there's no way they're going to be able to offer all of those games at the same release date as other systems if they start making NX versions of the upcoming multiplats this late in the game.

2017 would give both third parties AND Nintendo much more time, well over a YEAR, to actually learn the hardware inside and out, then make sure that they can optimize any ports made, while simultaneously developing brand new games.

Old ports won't cut it.
Wii U proves it.
And if it releases in 2016, old ports are going to be most of what it gets, which is a death trap.

Also, Nintendo just stated in their latest Direct that the next Zelda is headed to Wii U.
It's not going on NX until Nintendo says otherwise, and they haven't even HINTED otherwise.
Plus, after what we've seen of Xenoblade X, we KNOW that the Wii U can handle its own Zelda, and every console prior to this has had at least one unique Zelda game to call its own.
With the way Nintendo keeps referring to Zelda U, I can guarantee you that it won't be any different for the Wii U; It's getting Zelda U.
At most, the NX will get a port of it a couple of years after its launch as a run-up to Zelda NX.

Edited on by smashbrolink

smashbrolink

Shinion

smashbrolink wrote:

At most, the NX will get a port of it a couple of years after its launch as a run-up to Zelda NX.

B-but mah Twilight Princess, Twilight Princess dude! Twilight Princess tells it all, nearly a decade earlier. There's no need for critical analysis or even logic- just Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess.

Shinion

TuVictus

Last Lugia it's hard to take your seriously when many of your posts are just snarky remarks towards people against you. I know, because I have been the same way. I suggest if you want to participate in the discussion, you don't mock others just because they don't think the same as you.

TuVictus

Shinion

@Operative: I tried to take those people seriously months ago, and after being insulted and called names I have long lost the desire to try again. Thankfully, such people aren't active on the forums so I thought it was a suitable place it have a laugh and take the Mick a bit without drawing them down upon me. That's not banned is it? And thankfully you're not my mother and I'm an adult so I'll do what I want within the rules here thank you every much. I'm pretty sure I posted already on this particular thread my insightful, serious and soon to be proven correct opinion on the matter if you go back a page or two and care for my opinion. so I'm not a troll but I do have I'll admit a terrible sense of humour and I can't help it if an opportunity presents itself. So yeah thanks for the advice, I'll try to remember that within the dozens of 'Zelda U for NX coz Twilight Princess!' posts.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

TuVictus

@TheLastLugia: OOh you're an adult. Well I shouldn't have made that suggestion, because your post made me think you were a child But good thing all those mean, vague people called you names, because then you might seem like you're not justified in acting like a child. Oh wait... You still aren't justified.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Shinion

@Operative: if I was a child I'd be trying to make stupid deductions based of of events that happened nearly 10 years ago to suit my agenda. Oh shoot there I go again!

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

TuVictus

Literally everything at this point is just speculation regarding Zelda going to the NX or not. You calling someone stupid for using a prior event as a basis for their own predictions is immature and unnecessary. Even if I disagree with Skywake and Octane sometimes at least they're respectful to the people they discuss things with.

TuVictus

Shinion

@Operative: it's a dumb example. In my opinion. I've never once called people stupid or such to them specifically but again, I'm allowed to question their logic. Seriously dude get off my case now, geez I was just being funny. At least that's what I thought

Shinion

TuVictus

I'm sorry if I came off a bit harsh, it didn't seem like a joke as much as I thought you were mocking people like Let'sGoRetro, rallydefault, or myself who think a possible port to NX wouldn't be out of the question. Anyways, apologies

TuVictus

Shinion

@Operative: if anyone wants to talk to me about it I'll say it a again, and again and again until its confirmed otherwise. It's reeeeeeeealllly stretching it to use that as an example for Zelda U considering the differences in hardware, scope of the game, Nintendo's situation and the videogame industry as a whole as compared to 2006. In my opinion. Of course, and I fully recognise and accept that you're entitled to your own. But when I see something that reeks of stretching logic to suit people's agenda I'll call them out on it, particularly when they post it all the time. Every Zelda U forum and discussion can't be had here without it being not just mentioned, but used as if it makes everything else irrelevant. It bugs me so I'll occasionally go the sarcastic route because that's the way I roll on occasion.

If that annoys people then fine, your 'logic' annoys me, we're even. But I'm not a troll, I'm not intentionally hateful or insulting. If I ever I am I would be the first to apologise but that's not happened. Yet. Hopefully it won't ever happen as I consider myself above the 'fanboy, Nintendoomed and Nintentard' hate brigade. I'll take your opinion of me onboard, no sarcasm for a while if it's starting to become obvious, I'll freshen things up a bit.

Edit: I accept your apology by the way, but I'd also appreciate it if you toned down your previous comments or even delete them, they're kinda flamey (not sure if that's how it's spelt or even a word lol) particularly because it's directed specifically at me. Did my sarcasm really oblige you to call me a child and belittle the insults I received? I don't think it's very nice so if you'll get rid of them that'd be greet

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

rjejr

@LetsGoRetro: I'm not really obsessed with 2 Gamepads, that's more of a side gig, I'm obsessed with dates. And making dates. Neither of which Nintendo is very good at. Nor really anybody this gen. It's hard to find a notable game that hasn't been delayed, or been advertised for a very long time but still doens't have a date, or finally has a date but is still a long way off - that may just be No Man's Sky. The 2 Gamepads thing is more of a hobby.

You might be obsessed with me though, I have 3 emails in my in-box in a row all with your name on them, 11:08, 11:32, 11:33.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.