Forums

Topic: How would the PS4.5 and XB1.5 change the prospects of NX success?

Posts 201 to 217 of 217

Octane

@FragRed: Mass production early next year, don't know if it'll release in February as well then.. Maybe March, April or May?

Octane

FragRed

@Octane: If it's anything around the same time Nintendo releases the NX I can't see it being good for Nintendo. Xbox gamers are going to be far more keen to upgrade their console than PS4 gamers. And as there already is all the big third party support for the Xbox One, any new potential customer may just but the new Xbox One console over NX.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

DefHalan

@FragRed: why would a Xbox owner want to upgrade their current Xbox to the new revision that won't get any exclusive games compared to expanding their gaming options by buying a new console from a different company?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

NinjaWaddleDee

DefHalan wrote:

@FragRed: why would a Xbox owner want to upgrade their current Xbox to the new revision that won't get any exclusive games compared to expanding their gaming options by buying a new console from a different company?

Too true. I have a Ps4, but I have no interest in Ps4 neo, or PSVR. For that money, I might as well buy a new console with different experiences.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

DefHalan

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

why would a Xbox owner want to upgrade their current Xbox to the new revision that won't get any exclusive games compared to expanding their gaming options by buying a new console from a different company?

Too true. I have a Ps4, but I have no interest in Ps4 neo, or PSVR. For that money, I might as well buy a new console with different experiences.

That is why I think it could work in Nintendo's favor. The market is advertising that it is time to get a new console, but you already have 1 that will play all of the games a new revision will play. How about you get one of the other companies consoles. 50/50 chance they will get a Nintendo system on both sides of the equation lol. If you own a XB1 and buy a new console 50% chance of Sony, 50% chance of Nintendo. if you own a PS4 and buy a new console 50% chance of Xbox, 50% chance of Nintendo. If you don't own any console or only own a Wii U then it is 33% chance all around... maybe 34% chance to PS4 just based off of it being the leading system currently lol.

skywake

I still think people are overestimating the impact these revisions will have. All of the talk I've seen about the "PS4k" has been from people who already have a PS4. Those people are generally not interested in upgrading. Really, those revisions are nothing more than a way to up-sell people who were going to get those systems anyway and to extend the lifespan of the console.

It's like the New 3DS. I'm not sure that system convinced many people to get a 3DS who weren't already sold on the idea of the 3DS. They sold more hardware because of it for sure, people took it as an opportunity to get less worn-out hardware. But it wasn't a game changer. 3DS hardware and software was actually down for the year that the New 3DS launched.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Blast

skywake wrote:

I still think people are overestimating the impact these revisions will have. All of the talk I've seen about the "PS4k" has been from people who already have a PS4. Those people are generally not interested in upgrading. Really, those revisions are nothing more than a way to up-sell people who were going to get those systems anyway and to extend the lifespan of the console.

It's like the New 3DS. I'm not sure that system convinced many people to get a 3DS who weren't already sold on the idea of the 3DS. They sold more hardware because of it for sure, people took it as an opportunity to get less worn-out hardware. But it wasn't a game changer. 3DS hardware and software was actually down for the year that the New 3DS launched.

Diehard Sony fans will buy the PS4K. Trust me. THEY WILL.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

skywake

@Blast:
I think you overestimate how much of an impact those diehard fans have. Plus it's not like it's going to be an impulse buy to the same degree that the New 3DS might have been. I really think the PS4k's biggest audience is going to be people who don't have a current-gen system. Which is an audience that's potentially also interested in the NX.

I look at it this way, someone asking which gaming platform to get today sees this:
PS4: All of the third party games, decent amount of power
XBOne: A few less games than the PS4 but otherwise the same
PC: A lot of third party games but "complicated"
Wii U: No third party support but it has Zelda.... and they're going to replace it soon

When NX launches it'll look like this:
PS4k: Same as PS4 but with better graphics
XB1.5: Same as XBOne but with better graphics
Wii U: No third party support but it has Zelda.... last-gen platform
NX: It has Zelda and is shiny and new

Edited on by skywake

Blast

skywake wrote:

@Blast:
I think you overestimate how much of an impact those diehard fans have. Plus it's not like it's going to be an impulse buy to the same degree that the New 3DS might have been. I really think the PS4k's biggest audience is going to be people who don't have a current-gen system. Which is an audience that's potentially also interested in the NX.

I look at it this way, someone asking which gaming platform to get today sees this:
Wii U: No third party support but it has Zelda.... and they're going to replace it soon

When NX launches it'll look like this:
PS4k: Same as PS4 but with better graphics
XB1.5: Same as XBOne but with better graphics
Wii U: No third party support but it has Zelda.... last-gen platform
NX: It has Zelda and is shiny and new

I'm telling you, man. Diehard Sony guys (these are guys who are so loyal to Sony it's not even funny) will buy PS4K. Let's not forget "Sony Europe". Lol.. They may not buy PS4 exclusives like they should but diehard Sony guys will buy hardware.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

DefHalan

@Blast: Sony diehards make up a small percentage of overall customers and they most likely aren't even possible NX customers so I don't know if they really matter in this conversation lol

skywake

@Blast:
I don't disagree I just think you're overestimating the impact they'll have. It's like when a new iPhone is launched every year. Of course there are some people who go out and buy the new one every year. But most don't. The "previous model" stays in active use one way or another for quite a while.

Untitled

How much of that is those new users selling their old phone to someone else is beside the point. That old piece of hardware remains part of the market. This is the model Sony is going for and I think it's fair to assume that PS4 sales will reflect that.

It's been a thing with PCs for ages. A new graphics card comes out every year or so but the vast, vast majority of people don't upgrade every year. Most people have their graphics card for 3-5 years. Sure there are enthusiasts who get the newest one every year but if you look at the desktop NVidia GPU with the biggest share of users active on steam?

2015: 970, 960
2014: 750Ti, 750, 730. 980
2013: 760, 770
2012: 660, 650, 630

At this point most stores only really stock 900 series cards. Therefore we have to assume that a hell of a lot of PC gamers aren't upgrading their GPUs every time a new GPU comes out. So the same thing is happening with PC gamers that happens with mobile phones. Which is what I reckon will happen with the PS4.

Most people who get the PS4k will be people who don't have a PS4. If they do upgrade it'll be when the PS4k-2 comes out. And I think it's fair to assume that some won't stay loyal to Sony. Some might, for lack of a better comparison, do what some iPhone users have done and "switch to Android".

Edited on by skywake

Therad

@skywake: I think the "iphone-model" makes sense in the console world. There is really no good reason to reset your install base every fifth year. It isn't only risky for the console makers themselves (will we be first this gen?), it is also not good for consumers.

A more frequent upgrade-model will benefit most consumers, as long as they of course NEED the latest and shiniest revision. It will be easier to own multiple system, since you don't feel compelled to buy them all at the same time. An added benefit is that games follow along, meaning you won't be starting your library from scratch every time. This is one of the key strengths of the "soft-upgraded systems" (iphone, android, steam).

Therad

Octane

@skywake: This isn't guaranteed, but if the regular PS4 will still be sold it'll most likely get a price drop. PS4 with a price drop and PS4 NEO are definitely going to increase the PS4 sales this holiday. It's difficult to say how big the effect will be, but considering that Sony already has the winning hand, I think that this it isn't something that can be easily ignored.

Octane

skywake

@Octane:
Well sure but I don't think it's going to be unleashing a monster as some seem to be suggesting. It'll get a boost from the price drop and the higher spec SKU will be nice for the enthusiasts. I just don't see how it'll win over anyone who wasn't already sold on the idea of the PS4. It don't see how it really changes the equation for the NX. The PS4 is the console to get regardless of what the PS4k does.

If anything Sony and Microsoft are at risk of losing momentum to the NX. The Wii U has been a lame duck, if the NX does any better it'll be at the expense of the other two.

Edited on by skywake

MorbidGod

iKhan wrote:

So rumors have been circulating that Sony and Microsoft are introducing mid-gen revisions to their consoles that include power upgrades. This is not something we have seen much of in the industry in the past, and I think it's a major curveball for predicting the chances for the success of a new Nintendo home console (this topic is irrelevant to the possibility of a handheld).

In my opinion, this is probably the best thing Nintendo could hope to happen if they plan on releasing the system in 2016. Now, they aren't a "mid-gen competitor" to the PS4 and XB1, but instead a new option along side two other new hardware releases.

This means that Nintendo can release a system only about 1.5-2x more powerful than the PS4, and see solid 3rd party support for games that aren't possible on the PS4 and XB1. Nintendo also gets a new hype wave to ride with their system, instead of a lonely echo.

If they planned on release in 2017, it's a little more murky. On one hand, it's still releasing within 1 year of spec revisions of competitors, but on the other, it could make it difficult for Nintendo to push a much larger spec upgrade (4-5x more powerful than the PS4).

It depends. Microsoft and Sony aren't considering the make these consoles, at least I don't think, because they are scared or worried about the NX. They are doing that because they need extra power for VR/AR and both companies are moving towards that direction. I don't think they will be marketed as a new generation because it would make people mad. Especially Sony fans, they are use to longer life cycles.

So if that is how they are marketing it could further hurt Nintendo because it is highlighting that you can't play NX games on the Wii U, where people who have an original PS4 can play VR games but might have some slow downs.

However, if Nintendo is planning to "absorb" the Wii U architecture and somehow allow NX games to be played on Wii U's ... Then it would be better for Nintendo. But I don't see that as a possibility. At least, highly unlikely.

MorbidGod

DefHalan

So this topic has taken over the "What do you think the NX is?" thread, lets bring this thread back to continue this topic (only 4 months old, not a necro lol)

CanisWolfred

Not to mention both have officially been announced by now. Seems like the perfect time if there ever was one. Which these isn't. But you're going to anyways. So I, too, would appreciate it if that conversation remained here, in a topic with an appropriate, memorable title. Please and thank you. And Goodbye.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.