Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 3,361 to 3,380 of 12,088

Whydoievenbother

@Artwark How is making more games for other audiences going to hurt making games for you?
Edit: Also, Saying that this will "Anger" mobile gamers when you said that mobile is worse than console is kind of an understatement.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

DefHalan

@Artwark: Seems like you have less of a problem with Mobile Gaming, and more of a problem with current Game Industry business practices. You also seem to have an issue with the hardware which mobile games are made on. Also "To make your game on mobile great, you like need to figure out how to compete with other million users! In consoles, no problem. Just announce your game in E3, develop hype by constantly revealing more game footage and you're done." Is that all? All I have to do for a successful console game is to spend tons of money for space at E3 and constantly revealing new and interesting things and then I am done? I really hope that was a joke. Both sides of the industry are difficult to break into. The Mobile platforms offer certain things and the Console market offers certain things. I would recommend trying to play some games built for the mobile experience instead of trying to play games built for a console experience on a mobile device. Where's My Water is one of my favorite series on Mobile.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Socar

@DefHalan: Actually, mobile is a LOT easier than you think. Simply slap an existing idea and reskin it to sell it more. That's what Angry Birds, Candy Crush and Where's my Water did and all of them are huge( With crush now bought under 5.9 Billion).

When I said mobile is hard, its hard to make your game known to many and that's what I meant by that. Its not like in games where unless you are stuck on consoles that don't sell that huge ( Like the N64 for example), you can really make free money by simply porting existing games or using kickstarter to make your game a reality. The only reason why its hard is the marketing people struggling how to make the game sell rather than which platform its best to sell the game on.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

DefHalan

@Artwark: I know Mobile is easier, that was my point. But again, I don't think your problem is with Mobile gaming but actually business practices.

Socar

@DefHalan: And don't you think that's bad? Having microtransactions for a AAA game is awful and should be a law. The only safe way to make mobile games profitable is to make them freemium and it works but for wrong reasons.

And honestly, even when you play games that actually fit in mobile, they don't feel anywhere engaging as to what the other types of games have to offer. I've played several types of mobile games and the only ones that I remember are very few such as Silly Sausage from Nitro. When I play something like Cut the Rope, I get bored and stop bothering about it and this is sad because I love puzzle games.

I remember playing one FPS game on my friend's phone and the controls were awful and I couldn't get use to it. They make Uprising's controls better.

There is only so much you can do on a phone with only one screen than with a console with a variety of buttons, instant access and best of all, smooth experiences that can't work on phones. ( How can you play Mega Man X on a phone?!?!?)

DefHalan

@Artwark: Again, you are taking games designed for other platforms (A First Person Shooter and Mega Man X) but released on Mobile and complaining about mobile games. Cut the Rope is a fun experience and just because it doesn't engage you enough doesn't make it a bad game. I played each of the Cut the Rope games (except Cut the Rope 2) for hours.

If you want to complain about the current industry business practices then complain about them. That is a separate topic from Mobile games and the problems that some Mobile games have. I am not saying you have to like mobile games or that they are the way of the future, I am just saying when you have complaints don't generalize. Be direct with what you have an issue with and people will be more receptive.

Whydoievenbother

Whenever people complain about the FPS and Sandbox games flooding the market, that person should remember all of the Platformers and Fighting Games that were in the 80s and 90s.

Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Whydoievenbother

People, stop going to the Video Game Awards. They're going to suck. They've always sucked. What makes you think that it'll be different this time?

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

VelvetElvis

I've come to the realization that I'm usually relieved when a game I'm looking forward to is delayed. I have this neurotic tendency to want to clear my backlog and start with a clean slate, so now I'm sitting around thinking, "excellent, after Xenoblade X comes out, there's nothing I want to buy 'till March."

So I guess my unpopular gaming opinion is that I kinda like droughts.

VelvetElvis

Blue_Blur

VelvetElvis wrote:

I've come to the realization that I'm usually relieved when a game I'm looking forward to is delayed. I have this neurotic tendency to want to clear my backlog and start with a clean slate, so now I'm sitting around thinking, "excellent, after Xenoblade X comes out, there's nothing I want to buy 'till March."

So I guess my unpopular gaming opinion is that I kinda like droughts.

To me it kinda depends on the game coming out. Like in your example, for Xenoblade X, it's actually a good thing that nothing is coming out that you want close after it releases, since the game has so much stuff to do. Isn't it like over 200 hours? INSANE. XD If it's a game like NSMBU, then I hope there's another game coming out soon after. To me, NSMBU doesn't have much to do, other than getting any of the Star Coins and beating the game itself, making me wish for another game to come out soon. So, I can definitely both sides, and I see where your opinion comes from; I half-agree with you.

Edited on by Blue_Blur

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

RR529

MrMario02 wrote:

People, stop going to the Video Game Awards. They're going to suck. They've always sucked. What makes you think that it'll be different this time?

I was actually really impressed with them last year. They showcased pretty much every corner of the gaming landscape, with Nintendo, western "AAA" titles, and indie/arthouse games all getting their fair share of awards & attention. They also wanted to show that gaming has a real history behind it, so they introduced the industry icon award, which they gave to the founders of Sierra.

The showrunners disliked the direction Spike TV took the show, which is why they cut ties with them last year (and last year's show was significantly better, as noted above). The biggest issues of last year's show were the enormous runtime & the focus on reveal trailers over the awards themselves, which they said will be rectified this year.

EDIT: Just to showcase the variety, I'll remind everyone of last years winners.

Nintendo wins:

• Developer of the Year
  • Fighting GotY (SSBWiiU)
  • Sports/Racing GotY (MK8)
  • Family GotY (MK8)

"AAA" wins:

• GotY (Dragon Age: Inquisition)
  • Shooter GotY (Far Cry 4)
  • Action/Adventure GotY (Shadow of Mordor)
  • RPG GotY (Dragon Age: Inquisition)
  • Remake/Remaster GotY (GTAV next-gen)
  • Best Soundtrack/Score (Destiny)
  • Best Online Experience (Destiny)

Indie/Arthouse wins:

• Indie GotY (Shovel Knight)
  • Mobile/Handheld GotY (Hearthstone)
  • Best Narrative (Valiant Hearts)
  • Games for Change (Valiant Hearts)

Other wins:

• Industry Icon Award (Founders of Sierra)
  • Best Performance (Trey Parker in South Park: the Stick of Truth)

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

VelvetElvis

@Blue_Blur: Totally, the game in question is a huge factor (and you hit the nail on the head about X — that one's going to be a beast, in the best possible way). I just rarely sympathize with folks when they complain about droughts; it's 2015 — if you have even one modern gaming platform, you have a huge library of current big-budget, indie and classics to explore. For me personally, there's always an excess of content out there. That's overall a good thing, it just triggers my OCD as I want to experience it all.

Related, nowadays I'm often refreshed by games without a whole lot of unlockables, extras, or "New Game+" type modes. I'm really starting to enjoy the feeling I get when I beat a game and sort of close the book on it; I feel like I've had the whole of the experience on offer, and that's satisfying.

All of this could be because I am getting old.

VelvetElvis

StarBoy91

Unpopular Gaming Opinions: Mine as a whole

To each their own

Haywired

I don't like how modern puzzle games often have beautiful and intriguing art styles because they keep suckering me in when I know full well I'm going to find them boring and frustrating...

Haywired

Whydoievenbother

Although yes, Pixels is bad, it's not "the spawn of satan" levels of bad.

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

ThePirateCaptain

MrMario02 wrote:

Whenever people complain about the FPS and Sandbox games flooding the market, that person should remember all of the Platformers and Fighting Games that were in the 80s and 90s.

Well FPS's and sandbox games weren't really possible on the hardware back then. Now there are pretty much no limits to what you can make.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Socar

I don't understand why many claim that Awakening is the worst in the series. I find the game amazing, the characters are charming as hell and to top it off, it saved the series.

I also don't get that many consider this year to be the worst lineup for Nintendo's software as there aren't a LOT of bad games out there.

Edited on by Socar

jump

Artwark wrote:

I also don't get that many consider this year to be the worst lineup for Nintendo's software as there aren't a LOT of bad games out there.

When Ninty's BIG Xmas title is between Animal Crossing Buy More Amiibos Fun Time and possibly the weakest Mario Tennis game ever released it's a pretty bad year...

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Buizel

Artwark wrote:

"Worst" is relative...there have still been good games, but not as much as one would usually expect, especially with no big Christmas games (compare maybe only Xenoblade Chronicles X to Smash Bros dual release and Pokemon last year, for Europe at least).

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Socar

@arronishere: Those are just two games. What other games were bad for this year? Also what releases happened this year that makes it the least favorable for Nintendo?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic