Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,781 to 2,800 of 12,088

Socar

@Jaz007: But with that being said, I wonder what swearing means actually. Fire Emblem has mild language but it only used words like crap and butt and this shocked me when I played Awakening first because as far as I'm aware, Nintendo never enabled swearing in their games but Awakening is still an awesome game nonetheless. Then Bowser obviously curses a lot but he never says anything that bad.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Jaz007

@Artwark There is swearing that's mild D***, stronger but not horrible like the S word, and then really bad language like the F word.

Artwark wrote:

Then Bowser obviously curses a lot but he never says anything that bad.

What?

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Buizel

MrMario02 wrote:

Metacritic isn't very good. Let's say that a game that I'm interested in gets a metascore of 81. That means nothing other than that critics liked it. It doesn't tell you WHY they liked it. It It doesn't explain the problems with the game. It just gives you an average of the scores. I could do that myself if I wanted to, and I'd have gotten a better idea of whether or not this game is for me.

...but reviews do exactly that, and they're all well-presented and easily accessible from Metacritic. Even if you don't agree with Metacritic's rating system, it's a great tool for accessing all online reviews for a game you might be interested in.

At least 2'8".

Haruki_NLI

I don't like Pokémon G/S/C/HG/SS. Wild Pokémon variety and levels far too low (Lv 25 ice types before the Lv40 Dragon gym anyone?), the difficulty skyrocketing at each Gym Leader unless you have a specific set up, and HG/SS could have fixed this but didn't, hence my disdain towards those being greater.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

CaviarMeths

Jaz007 wrote:

There is swearing that's mild D***, stronger but not horrible like the S word, and then really bad language like the F word.

To be fair, the F word is only really bad because we've been conditioned as a culture to think so. Mostly because it relates to sex, which is the ultimate taboo this side of the pond. Or maybe just the English-speaking portion of this continent, because Quebecers don't seem to take as much offense to bodily/sexual profanity. Most Quebec French profanity is religious, perhaps also true for Acadians and Cajuns.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

TheKingOfTown

People don't like cursing in video games because it makes them feel mature. They like it because it's realistic. People curse in the real world all the time. And just because it's a video game doesn't mean that it can't be realistic. Video games are art, after all, so the situations in some video games ought to be reflective of situations in real life.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

CaviarMeths

TheKingOfTown wrote:

People don't like cursing in video games because it makes them feel mature. They like it because it's realistic. People curse in the real world all the time. And just because it's a video game doesn't mean that it can't be realistic. Video games are art, after all, so the situations in some video games ought to be reflective of situations in real life.

Right, but I think the major complaint is when the profanity is forced and unnatural. It sounds awkward and adolescent when you have a character that goes out of his/her way to curse all the time for no particular reason.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

RR529

CaviarMeths wrote:

TheKingOfTown wrote:

Right, but I think the major complaint is when the profanity is forced and unnatural. It sounds awkward and adolescent when you have a character that goes out of his/her way to curse all the time for no particular reason.

I'll have to agree with this, and use movies as an example.

At the end of Christmas Vacation when Clark goes on his foul mouthed tirade (which I think contains the film's only use of the F-bomb, or at least one of the few), it makes complete sense, given all the crap that's happened to him throughout the film (it makes the scene both believable & funny).

However, then you have films like The Interview & Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, where the F-bomb is every other word In almost every joke (or it takes the place of an actual joke), and it just seems lazy. The characters speak exactly like my best friend did when he was 12, trying to act "cool", and I just can't seem to get past the idea that a major motion picture's sense of humor is no more clever than that of any 12 year old.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jaz007

@TheKingOfTown: Some parts of life shouldn't be replicated in games (or movies or books for that matter) though.

Jaz007

AceDefective

CaviarMeths wrote:

TheKingOfTown wrote:

>Points to about 75% of DmC's script.
Realistic swearing is fine in all, but throwing about 20 f**ks in one scene is trying too hard.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

ZeroZX-Dev wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

TheKingOfTown wrote:

>Points to about 75% of DmC's script.
Realistic swearing is fine in all, but throwing about 20 f**ks in one scene is trying too hard.

Don't remind me lol. Man, that was embarrassing...

TheKingOfTown

Jaz007 wrote:

@TheKingOfTown: Some parts of life shouldn't be replicated in games (or movies or books for that matter) though.

Like what?

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

LaserdiscGal

Hey folks let's veer off this topic and keep it PG please.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

kkslider5552000

Miiverse is still better than the actual popular social media sites.

But that's more because social media sites are the worst.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blue_Blur

I didn't like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword that much. It was okay, and certainly not bad, but it's my least favorite Zelda game. I guess it doesn't help that the game had motion controls for right-handed people and I'm left-handed... Link moved his sword differently than the way I moved my arm often! It's kinda ironic, because isn't Link supposed to be left-handed? I know it's technically a different Link for each game, but I wish Nintendo could've at least made a left-handed option. If there is a left-handed option for games that barely need to specify a dominant hand, like Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (just for some boss fights), I don't think it should've been a problem to have that option in Skyward Sword.

Oh, and Fi........ she's another reason why Skyward Sword isn't my favorite Zelda game.

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Blue_Blur

She's a really good character in Hyrule Warriors. Outside of Skyward Sword, I have to agree, her design is pretty cool.

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

MsJubilee

Am i the only person who wasn't annoyed by Fi in Skyward Sword?

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Rixor13

@Blue_Blur: i HATED the adventure mission with her and the dinalfos, lizalfos, and imprisoned...i have been discouraged to return to adventure mode because of that mission blocking the way.

Is this a joke? Are you having a chuckle? Haha, very funny. I'm the one with a degree

Avatar credit to Undertale and Toby fox.

3DS Friend Code: 1951-0757-8693 | Nintendo Network ID: rixor11

Rixor13

@TwilightAngel: nope. i mean i would still pick midna as an ally before fi but fi still has some good character traits other than being a hand holder.

Is this a joke? Are you having a chuckle? Haha, very funny. I'm the one with a degree

Avatar credit to Undertale and Toby fox.

3DS Friend Code: 1951-0757-8693 | Nintendo Network ID: rixor11

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic