Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 12,088

LyIa

Dweeb wrote:

Fire Emblem: Awakening is decent for what it is, which is being an amalgamation of many elements from past Fire Emblem titles while being developed with the idea of it being the last game of the series in mind.

However, I don't want future Fire Emblem games to build on what Awakening did. If it was meant to be a step forward for the series, gameplay- and content-wise, then I consider it to be a step back, obviously due to how much more streamlined the game was in comparison to PoR and RD, both of which directly preceded Awakening discounting the DS remakes of the two FE games that featured Marth. It took out strategy elements, elevation advantage, magic triangles, weapon weight, varied missions, and interesting characters with deeper backstories if you looked into them, and added in broken mechanics such as Pair Up, excessive grinding opportunities no matter where you are, and that stupid DLC beach fanservice. I'll give it credit for keeping the series alive, and for the unique art style, and for the music, but if it were to be treated as a progression then I would be inclined to disagree. Of course, if this is all a one-time thing, then I'm mostly okay with it.

Although, I did enjoy building up my child units' skills and stats before their eventual recruitment. Probably my favorite mechanic in the game.

I mostly agree, yeah. Especially that stupid excessive grinding thing. Jeeeez. I stopped playing after finding out that I need to do countless replays of missions to get my characters to their full potential.

I do think that it's a step forward for the series, however, especially for appealing to more players. I keep coming back to the game for some reason, not to grind like a 40 year old man playing WoW, but to play through the story again and see how far I can level my units before I reach the "you can't make them any stronger unless you grind DLC" line. I'd love to see more strategy in the following games.

all men are kings 👑

kkslider5552000

Resident Evil 4 is the only Resident Evil that succeeds, at least out of the main numbered releases. Resident Evil isn't scary but it can be suspenseful. But only RE4 combined fun with that suspense, whereas everything before tried to be scary and is just embarrassing now and everything after is a pathetic action game that has no idea why RE4 worked.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

Resident Evil 4 is fun, but where's the suspense? I played a lot and don't remember ever feeling like I was playing anything other than a pure action game...

And Resident Evil 1 and 2 are fun, as adventure games with suspenseful encounters that give you the feeling of vulnerability.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

Resident Evil 4 is fun, but where's the suspense?

Well suspense in the sense that the gameplay is intentionally slow and awkward enough to give you a challenge and to be constantly worried about dying (though admittedly the gameplay style being more common and replaying the game might take away from some of that...) but isn't so awkward that you don't enjoy playing it. Early Resident Evil, intentionally or not, was way more awkward to control and play to make it more scary, but it isn't scary so it's bad game design instead.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iKhan

Haywired wrote:

The video game industry was just as obsessed with graphics and power in the "good old days" as it is now and the opinion that "nowadays it's all about graphics when it used to be all about gameplay" is rose-tinted nonsense. Hell, Nintendo even sold the NES with the slogan "Now You're Playing With Power". The SNES/Genesis war was fiercely focused on graphics and power. Nintendo and SEGA used to call out each other's specs in their own advertising, I haven't seen many PS4, XboxOne ads doing that. Also, look on the back of the box of any SNES game, I almost guarantee they'll be something along the lines of "Stunning 16-bit graphics only possible with the power of the Super NES!" or something like that. You don't see that much nowadays.

I think the "which system has the better graphics" war did take a break in the 5th and 6th generations, which is why people say that it's gotten worse.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Resident Evil 4 is fun, but where's the suspense?

Well suspense in the sense that the gameplay is intentionally slow and awkward enough to give you a challenge and to be constantly worried about dying (though admittedly the gameplay style being more common and replaying the game might take away from some of that...) but isn't so awkward that you don't enjoy playing it. Early Resident Evil, intentionally or not, was way more awkward to control and play to make it more scary, but it isn't scary so it's bad game design instead.

I found it scary, even when I played it a few years ago and knew what was coming. It has very good atmosphere and once the harder zombies appeared, I was pretty much hyper-alert the entire rest of the game. Maybe it isn't quite as scary as Silent Hill (which I'd argue is a far worse game overall) or Clock Tower (well, the SFC version, which I'd hold is about as scary as I'm willing to put up with), but it was effective at what it was trying to do, IMO.

iKhan wrote:

I think the "which system has the better graphics" war did take a break in the 5th and 6th generations, which is why people say that it's gotten worse.

The fifth Gen in took a break because it wasn't even a question back then. The question was, "Playstation won. Is it worth keeping the N64 on life support while the Saturn goes out in the back and commits seppuku?"

It was totally there in the 6th gen, though. It's just that it went back to the normal "everybody pretends to care too much about graphics when the silent majority still buys whatever they think will be fun to play", thus resulting in the graphical powerhouses not doing as well.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Pre-rendered backgrounds need to make a comeback on consoles, even if just in smaller download games.

I still can't forget how gorgeous the backgrounds looked in FFX. They've largely moved on to portable devices these days (with Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword & Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale having beautiful looking hand drawn backgrounds), but I'd like to see how many detailed they could be on a modern home console.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

triforcepower73

Far Cry 2 is the best game in the series. MY opinion. It doesn't have to be yours.

"The future doesn't belong to you!"
Waiting for: BOTW 2, Metroid Prime 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

shingi_70

People who say link can't be a female are dumb. Link has as much personality as the protagonists of Fable (well expect III) and Gordan Freeman. Bioware is able to successfully make games with two Genders and they're protagnists tend to be active ones who can talk and emote. Also comparing him to Master Chief is stupid since Chief is an actual charcter throughout the games while the Links are good different puppets you play throughtout time.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Aviator

triforcepower73 wrote:

MY opinion. It doesn't have to be yours.

That's kinda the point of the thread.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Sleepingmudkip

The pokemon games need to come back to having a deep story

&

Im happy none of ubisoft broken games are on the Wii U(I dont know of this is a unpopular opinion)

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

shaneoh

shingi_70 wrote:

People who say link can't be a female are dumb. Link has as much personality as the protagonists of Fable (well expect III) and Gordan Freeman. Bioware is able to successfully make games with two Genders and they're protagnists tend to be active ones who can talk and emote. Also comparing him to Master Chief is stupid since Chief is an actual charcter throughout the games while the Links are good different puppets you play throughtout time.

You seem to think that to have a personality you need to be able to speak.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

CaviarMeths

Link has a personality, but he doesn't have any gender-specific personality traits. Being a girl would give him boobs and slightly more narrow shoulders, that's about it.

It's been like 2 pages, time for this debate again.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

triforcepower73

Aviator wrote:

triforcepower73 wrote:

MY opinion. It doesn't have to be yours.

That's kinda the point of the thread.

Just reiterating it so that the trolls and FC3 won't be nipping at my heels.

"The future doesn't belong to you!"
Waiting for: BOTW 2, Metroid Prime 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

SkywardLink98

DiscoGentleman wrote:

Oh, this dead horse again? Let me know when you're done beating it.

Untitled

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

iKhan
  • Lysandre is the best villain of the main series Pokemon games
  • I would rather a game have a great automatic camera without free camera control than a game have a garbage automatic camera with free camera control.
  • The 3D Zelda games are several times better than the 2D ones.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

SuperMalleo wrote:

Stores having exclusives is ridiculous. Why would i go to GameStop just to get the Shulk amiibo? It's a waste of time and every store should have the same thing.

Exclusive anything is often ridiculous, and it's a spit in the face at the free market most of the time. Let's say I want a Sony Xperia phone. I't exclusive to Verizon. To get it, I'd have to switch to Verizon, not because they are offering me a better service, but because some higher ups made a deal to limit my choices

Nintendo's one of the few companies that does exclusivity right, leveraging it to create products that are only possible as exclusives.

BearHunger

A&B is the worst two-button row on the 3DS (XL) short of A&Y or X&B. X&Y, meanwhile, works surprisingly well. I wish I could change the Game Boy VC button mapping to that. (A&X on NES VC works fine for me, but really all the VCs should have button mapping options like Game Gear VC.)

Swiket wrote:

Even at the discounted price of $40, Captain Toad looks too expensive for what it is.

I agree.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic