Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 12,088

LzWinky

Here's a big one:

Online is overrated and not really necessary

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kkslider5552000

WaLzgi wrote:

Here's a big one:

Part of me wants to make fun of this, but to be fair, it's one of the opinions in this thread that could actually be considered unpopular.

Speaking of which, let me say one that no one will agree with me about, because only fans have played this game I assume: Gunstar Super Heroes is either vastly better on repeated playthroughs or just not that good.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Shambo

WaLzgi wrote:

Here's a big one:

I'm with you! I rather play local multiplayer, or single player campaigns. To be fair, I'm glad games like Mario Kart went online, but I still only play with people I know, when we can't get together to play locally.

Shambo

3DS Friend Code: 0473-7756-7818 | Nintendo Network ID: Shambo

Punished_Boss_84

WaLzgi wrote:

Here's a big one:

I could not disagree more.
Poppycock

Edited on by Punished_Boss_84

"They played us like a damn fiddle!" - MGS5
"Finish your mission, prove your loyalty." - MGS3
"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA
Currently Playing: The Phantom Pain.

3DS Friend Code: 3840-6320-8217

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Gunstar Super Heroes is either vastly better on repeated playthroughs or just not that good.

Actually, most fans would agree with you on that.

I don't though. In my opinion, it was the original Gunstar Heroes that wasn't that good. The controls were a mess (whereas in Gunstar Super Heroes, you have the option of fixed aiming or running while aiming both available to you, in Gunstar Heroes, you only get to choose either one for the whole game, and of course there are situations where either one or even both are absolutely necessary), the graphics and sound weren't much better than the GBA counter part, and the system where you can combine different weapons for different results is actually more infuriating than fun since the weapon drops are always random and most of the weapons aren't that helpful. I vastly preferred having the set weapon selection in Super Heroes, since even though there were less options, at least they narrowed it down to just the good weapons that you'll frequently need. This is important, since a decent weapon could mean the difference between breezing through a level or being completely screwed.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

Guitardude7 wrote:

Mewtwo is overrated in Smash. Dont get me wrong, I'm happy Nintendo listened to the majority of the fanbase and made him playable again, and this also opens opportunity for future DLC but if I recall correctly, Mewtwo wasn't actually that good of a fighter. He was slow, easily punished, and not essential to the roster at all. I think people's nostalgia gets in the way of seeing how good he actually was.

Nostalgia is overrated

To an extent, nostalgia is bad if everyone bases their opinions solely on nostalgia.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AceDefective

WaLzgi wrote:

Here's a big one:

I mostly agree, if the game is multiplayer focused, online is kind of a must. Though if the game is single player focused, there is no need for online multiplayer.

Also CoD should not be selling as well is it does, if most people buy it for the multiplayer, then why not make a MOBA/MMO and be done with. I can guarantee no one who cares about the glorified B-movie 6 Hour campaigns anymore. Saves time, AND money.
I'm glad games like Titanfall and Destiny are getting mixed reception, if more games being like that with the story being disregarded, the multiplayer being the sole focus, and no offline mode are the future, I'd convert Retro gaming once the trend takes over.

Edited on by AceDefective

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

Inkling

Super Mario 3D World is the best 3D Mario game

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

iKhan

Guitardude7 wrote:

Mewtwo is overrated in Smash. Dont get me wrong, I'm happy Nintendo listened to the majority of the fanbase and made him playable again, and this also opens opportunity for future DLC but if I recall correctly, Mewtwo wasn't actually that good of a fighter. He was slow, easily punished, and not essential to the roster at all. I think people's nostalgia gets in the way of seeing how good he actually was.

I think the demand for Mewtwo more stems from the fact that his being cut simply didn't make a lot of sense. Every other cut aside from Ice Climbers as been a clone to some degree. Roy, Pichu, Dr Mario, Wolf, and Lucas were all clones to some extent.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

unrandomsam

WaLzgi wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

Nostalgia is overrated

To an extent, nostalgia is bad if everyone bases their opinions solely on nostalgia.

I dunno whether it is overrated. Presuming certain people are truthful what they have would be perfect for me. (I question whether they really have it though as opposed to convincing themselves something is true but deep down they don't believe it).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

iKhan

Another semi-unpopular opinion.

The best bosses have some sort of weak point that you have to expose and/or attack. Bosses that just have tougher AI's, take more damage, and do more damage aren't all that memorable.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

BearHunger

iKhan wrote:

I think the demand for Mewtwo more stems from the fact that his being cut simply didn't make a lot of sense. Every other cut aside from Ice Climbers as been a clone to some degree. Roy, Pichu, Dr Mario, Wolf, and Lucas were all clones to some extent.

It made sense to cut Mewtwo in Brawl because he was replaced by Lucario, and each series was supposed to have at most four separate representatives. (Unless that was sheer coincidence.) In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS, Mewtwo definitely would have been a better character to come back than, say, Dr. Mario. Dr. Mario should have been an alternate costume for Mario, with the Megavitamin as one of Mario's custom moves.

(Yeah, I know, it's kind of silly to put characters in spoiler tags at this point, but I complained about all the spoilers shortly after the game's release and I don't want to be a hypocrite. Though there aren't many possibilities as to who that could be.)

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

LzWinky

At the same time, Dr. Mario is NOT the same as Mario. They are only slightly similar

Also, since I mentioned it in another thread, I am not impressed by Project M and think the project is quite overrated.

Edited on by LzWinky

iKhan

Okay, just watched Matthewmatosis' review of Mario Sunshine, and that got me thinking of another unpopular opinion I have

People judge Mario Sunshine too often from a completionist's perspective. This fundamentally alters many aspects of the game. Without a completionists perspective, the Blue coins become a cleverly hidden set of secrets that allow the player to unlock the game's levels faster, and after that just give the player an additional sense of accomplishment of having an extra star. The hidden stars, like on the island with a pipe that Yoshi has to spray, it becomes a puzzle that is tough to figure out. These things are no longer tedious things you have to hunt down a walkthrough to figure out. They are now mysteries you feel great for finding.

Edited on by iKhan

LzWinky

I discovered many secrets on my own in Sunshine. It was great exploration!!

It was amazing how many secrets the main island had...and what you had to do to get them

Edited on by LzWinky

Storytime7

iKhan wrote:

People judge Mario Sunshine too often from a completionist's perspective. This fundamentally alters many aspects of the game. Without a completionists perspective, the Blue coins become a cleverly hidden set of secrets that allow the player to unlock the game's levels faster, and after that just give the player an additional sense of accomplishment of having an extra star. The hidden stars, like on the island with a pipe that Yoshi has to spray, it becomes a puzzle that is tough to figure out. These things are no longer tedious things you have to hunt down a walkthrough to figure out. They are now mysteries you feel great for finding.

Problem is those blue coins take up a pretty large chunk of content in the game (24/120 shines). If someone doesn't find the required content in the game enjoyable enough to feel like they got their money's worth, then they would turn to optional content such as the blue coins. That, and in most levels you can't get all the blue coins in one go because some of them are only available in specific missions. Speaking from personal experience, I never felt any satisfaction from getting all the blue coins. I didn't watch that video you posted, but I don't remember anybody ever complaining about the hidden shines. Other than the few that were genuinely terrible (like that pachinko level), they added to the game a bit.

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

iKhan

Storytime7 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Problem is those blue coins take up a pretty large chunk of content in the game (24/120 shines). If someone doesn't find the required content in the game enjoyable enough to feel like they got their money's worth, then they would turn to optional content such as the blue coins. That, and in most levels you can't get all the blue coins in one go because some of them are only available in specific missions. Speaking from personal experience, I never felt any satisfaction from getting all the blue coins. I didn't watch that video you posted, but I don't remember anybody ever complaining about the hidden shines. Other than the few that were genuinely terrible (like that pachinko level), they added to the game a bit.

Yeah. Like I said, it's dependent on how you play the game. If you see the Blue Coins and non-required shines to be a non-mandatory extension of the main game, then they can be construed as tedious.

But if you see them as small bonuses to be obtained as you are playing the game, then they become something like a treasure hunt.

It's a similar duality to the Triforce hunt in Wind Waker. If you consider them to be the next mission after completing the game's 6 main dungeons, they are really tedious. But if you consider them to be a non-linear segment of gameplay that is accessible as soon as you beat the first dungeon, then they can be considered somewhat enjoyable. I'm in the former camp for Wind Waker for the record.

Storytime7

iKhan wrote:

Yeah. Like I said, it's dependent on how you play the game. If you see the Blue Coins and non-required shines to be a non-mandatory extension of the main game, then they can be construed as tedious.

But if you see them as small bonuses to be obtained as you are playing the game, then they become something like a treasure hunt.

It's a similar duality to the Triforce hunt in Wind Waker. If you consider them to be the next mission after completing the game's 6 main dungeons, they are really tedious. But if you consider them to be a non-linear segment of gameplay that is accessible as soon as you beat the first dungeon, then they can be considered somewhat enjoyable. I'm in the former camp for Wind Waker for the record.

I think Wind Waker is a little different because the triforce quest is actually required to beat the game, and that's why a lot of people don't like that part of the game. It's kinda similar to the chozo artifacts in Metroid Prime where it's much less annoying on repeated playthroughs because you already know how to get them. I complete 3D Mario games 100%, so I found it obnoxious to have to collect so many blue coins, especially when red coin and 100 coin missions were still in the game.

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

Drawdler

I don't like Sonic CD. The mood of the game is great, but getting a Good Future relies on exploration, which is ruined by the time limit. Either that, or you need to keep enough rings so you can access and beat Special Stages, but I absolutely suck at Sonic games so I can't do that

Heck, I don't like the classic Sonic games much in general... Maybe it's because I'm so bad at them, but it feels like they stop momentum too often, right after areas where they build up momentum.

Edited on by Drawdler

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic