Forums

Topic: Doctor Who

Posts 21 to 40 of 92

Electricmastro

Nibelilt wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/abc3/goodgamesp/transcripts/s3525218.htm I'm sorry, I just can't stop laughing at how terribad the new game looks.

But I've been meaning to get into this series and which season is best to start watching? >_<

You don't necessarily have to watch the Original Series (1963-1989) in order to know anything about the Russell T. Davies Revival Series. You're best off starting with Season 1/Series 1 from 2005 that has Christopher Eccleston and work your way from there.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

RevolverLink

Yeah, you should be fine starting with either season 1 or even season 5 of the rebooted series.

Avatar - Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Currently Playing - Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation, BioShock Infinite, Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
The Revloggery

Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

GuardianKing

Am I the only one who feels a little intimidated by Eccleston's (#9) acting?

I mean, when Tennant and Smith get mad, it's funny, and it feels appropriate for the moment. When Eccleston gets mad, he's so serious and frightening about it, as if he really was mad IRL. Just my opinion though. I like 10 the most.

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

Electricmastro

GuardianKing wrote:

Am I the only one who feels a little intimidated by Eccleston's (#9) acting?

I mean, when Tennant and Smith get mad, it's funny, and it feels appropriate for the moment. When Eccleston gets mad, he's so serious and frightening about it, as if he really was mad IRL. Just my opinion though. I like 10 the most.

#9 is an accurate deception of somehow who has just recently fought in a war and lost so many of his loved ones in the process. Sure he can be as jolly as #10 and #11, but it was at that very point where he was grieving the most in his mind and managed to balance it more throughout his incarnations.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

RevolverLink

I just finished watching last night's episode. This is my face right now -

Untitled

Avatar - Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Currently Playing - Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation, BioShock Infinite, Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
The Revloggery

Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Geonjaha

RevolverLink wrote:

Yeah, you should be fine starting with either season 1 or even season 5 of the rebooted series.

Dont start people off on season 5 - they'd miss two superior Doctors.

I make Pixel Art on occasion, and sometimes sell them as Game Assets.

RetroGBHippie92

Current season is airing over here in NZ! This weeks episode was A Town Called Mercy, I've been watching since the revival series started in 2005 as well. I've seen some stories from the classic series and own a few on DVD. Im not sure If I should start buying DVDs from the first doctor and onwards or not... Oh well I don't generally buy a ton on TV shows on DVD much anyway, except for my favourite Sci-Fi's.
Does anyone here get to meet Dr.Who cast members at conventions/ expos? I've met quite a few actually, oh boy this makes me a bit giddy... I've Met Peter Davison, Paul McGann (8th doctor (doctor who:the movie), he's underappreciated I reckon and McGann is a really nice guy) and John Levene (Classic series UNIT member Sergeant Benton). All of them were amazing to listen to at their respective panels, although John Levene was the only one who didn't have one, he was signing only.
I'd say the most interesting thing any of them said to me was when John Levene was shown my Spearhead From Space/ Terror of the Auton box set I wanted signed (the DVDs not the box), he said something about nearly everyone on the covers wasn't alive anymore, of course I knew the actor who played Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart past away not long ago, but this was kind of upsetting for both of us because of that reaslization of how few of the classic series actors there are left now.
Rest in peace Nicholas Courtney AND Elisabeth Sladen.

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at scottharding2005@yahoo.com.au] if you want to join my 3DS buddy list :)

Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB

FonistofCruxis

I find it annoying that they're splitting up each series now, especially now that the christmas special is going to be in between the two halves rather than after both. I'd much rather have the whole series together. Anyway, the last episode of the first half of the current series was last night and I think A town called mercy and last night's episode were definitely the highlights. IMO, the rest of the series has been pretty average, especially last weekend's episode which was quite boring.

SPOILERS! (for the most recent episode)
It annoys me that twists often don't have as much impact in Doctor who these days as often there will be hints given about them or sometimes they'll even announce that a certain character is returning. There had been rumours about Amy and Rory's leave being sad and there was also foreshadowing in the episode itself which lessened the impact. Also, the way they left kind of seemed like the writers made them have a sad leave for the sake of it because Amy and Rory's risk had been successful and and wiped out all the weeping angels but of course one survived and took Rory away so Amy went with him. Then again, it seemed unlikely that they would settle down and live a normal life without the Doctor returning from time to time so maybe the the writers thought that an ending like that was the only way they could leave.

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

Geonjaha

FonistofCruxis wrote:

I find it annoying that they're splitting up each series now, especially now that the christmas special is going to be in between the two halves rather than after both. I'd much rather have the whole series together. Anyway, the last episode of the first half of the current series was last night and I think A town called mercy and last night's episode were definitely the highlights. IMO, the rest of the series has been pretty average, especially last weekend's episode which was quite boring.

SPOILERS! (for the most recent episode)
It annoys me that twists often don't have as much impact in Doctor who these days as often there will be hints given about them or sometimes they'll even announce that a certain character is returning. There had been rumours about Amy and Rory's leave being sad and there was also foreshadowing in the episode itself which lessened the impact. Also, the way they left kind of seemed like the writers made them have a sad leave for the sake of it because Amy and Rory's risk had been successful and and wiped out all the weeping angels but of course one survived and took Rory away so Amy went with him. Then again, it seemed unlikely that they would settle down and live a normal life without the Doctor returning from time to time so maybe the the writers thought that an ending like that was the only way they could leave.

I agree entirely with you. No real offense meant to them but the writing just hasnt been as good since Moffat took over. Every series finale until season 5 was surprising, and had small hints throughout the season - but nothing obvious. The Pandorica story was entirely underwhelming, and since then it just hasnt been as good. Dont get me wrong - there have been good episodes, like A Town Called Mercy, but the first two episodes of this season were...average at best.

I make Pixel Art on occasion, and sometimes sell them as Game Assets.

Electricmastro

GuardianKing wrote:

Wait a minute... How many regenerations does he have left? This is #11, so... 1 left?

He can only regenerate 2 more times as far as canon is concerned. Leaving 13 incarnations in all if it is.

Edited on by Electricmastro

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

ThePirateCaptain

I can't be the only person to find that River Song is the most annoyingly retarded character of the series right? I do have to say though after David Tennant left I though I might stop watching because nobody could come close to him, but Matt Smith does a great job and I like him quite a bit more than I thought I would.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG 16-Bit Heaven.
Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Electricmastro

Geonjaha wrote:

Electricmastro wrote:

GuardianKing wrote:

Wait a minute... How many regenerations does he have left? This is #11, so... 1 left?

He can only regenerate 2 more times as far as canon is concerned. Leaving 13 incarnations in all if it is.

Nope. They decided that would obviously limit them...so..
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/12/doctor-who...
Goodbye original story

Well lets just see if they can live up to that "immortal promise" then.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Banker-Style

Dat episode last night was absolutely brilliant.
I kinda wish it was a longer episode.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
3DS XL FC:3265-6271-5244
In 3000 years time,people will remember the name,Da-Banker,for being such a [Censored]

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

RevolverLink

Geonjaha wrote:

RevolverLink wrote:

Yeah, you should be fine starting with either season 1 or even season 5 of the rebooted series.

Dont start people off on season 5 - they'd miss two superior Doctors.

I'm not debating that Matt Smith is a superior Doctor (I actually like him, but Tennant will probably always be my favorite and Eccleston is somewhat underrated). I'm just saying that because you don't really need any prior knowledge for it, season 5 is an easy point to jump in at.

Avatar - Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Currently Playing - Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation, BioShock Infinite, Harvest Moon: Animal Parade
The Revloggery

Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

FonistofCruxis

@RetroGBHippie92 I met Tom Baker (the fourth Doctor) who is my favourite Doctor a few years ago who was very friendly and I got a signed photo of him as well as my DVD of the fourth doctor episode City of death signed.

@Geonjaha I agree with you that the writing hasn't been as good since Steven Moffat took over but at least he's not obsessed with the Daleks like Russel T. Davies was. They may be the series' most well-known villains but he bought them back too often, they didn't return that often in the classic series.

Spoilers! (for the last series)
@CapnPancakez I don't think River Song is that good either and I think the revelation that she is Amy and Rory's daughter was just stupid. It doesn't really work either as she doesn't seem to care as much about Amy and Rory as you'd expect her too with her being their daughter.

Has no one else ever wondered why they never just kicked the weeping angels over or did something else to physically damage them without blinking?

Edited on by FonistofCruxis

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic