Forums

Topic: Coronavirus outbreak

Posts 421 to 440 of 1,548

darkfenrir

It seems that even if you are asympomatic, your lungs are fudged too? Soooo might want to be careful if possible.

darkfenrir

HobbitGamer

@Woomy_NNYes ....They spelled Safety as Saftey. Already off to a bad start. Then he puts down and picks up wipes from the “dirty” side of the workspace 😑

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

WoomyNNYes

@HobbitGamer Thanks for the input. I can take it down. You're in the medical field, right? If it's not you, it's someone else here. I welcome if anyone else can post something about safe grocery shopping, since this is something we all still have to do.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

HobbitGamer

@Woomy_NNYes I mean, it's not awful, it's just...odd. Kinda like the spokespersons that say not to touch your face, but then lick their finger to turn their speech page.

For my groceries, I just distance myself (which I already did because I like my personal space), only pick up something I'm for sure buying, and wash produce before I use it. The very fact that the virus can adhere to cardboard or plastic surfaces means that in a grocery store, all product is no more or less safe than it already was. That bread sitting on the shelf? The plastic wrap isn't airtight, same for the lettuce and prepacked peppers. The oatmeal or cereal, same thing; it all uses porous packaging materials because that's cheaper and more earth friendly.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, come ON, man... You're supposed to be smarter than that. Take a GOOD, LOOOONNG look at that stat: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ and try to TRULY understand what it says. As you can see, the numbers are updated as of today, AGAIN, and it's now 17%.

But AGAIN, that 17% is NOT, and I repeat NOT 17% of the entire world population, but 17% of those people that have already gone through the virus cycle and have either recovered or passed away, so for all intent and purposes, that 17% of that specific part of the world's population may well be 4% or less of the world's TOTAL percentage of inhabitants. And as you can clearly see, it concerns "just" 156,297 people in total, whom are considered closed cases, so no offense, but you'd have to be pretty clueless to see that 17% as a total percentage of the world's population.

So, in short: you're somehow not differentiating between active and closed cases. If you're never going to understand that part, then I get why those percentages aren't making sense to you...

Either way, as I also said, the local (Dutch) numbers do match, so I fully expect all the other numbers to match up as well, unless those respective governments and/or involved organizations aren't publishing the correct numbers in the first place, numbers which this site needs to give accurate results to their viewers/visitors.

On a side note: the home page is rather interesting too, showing all kinds of numbers on a variety of things, and they're constantly changing, almost like a living, breathing entity, and I've learned quite a few things already about various things and the state of the world, besides the whole Covid-19 thing, which is now so front and center in all media.

But anyway, I've got other, more important things on my mind right now. As mentioned yesterday, my brother in law had to be tested, because he takes care of his father, who was hospitalized because of the virus, and now I received a call from my dad, and he told me that they've found that not only my brother in law, but also my sister and their daughter have the virus, so it's closer to me now than ever before.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I understand the numbers, but my point is, either simply dividing deaths / total infected is an incorrect methodology in part due to some of the factors you mentioned, or it really is going to be 1.2b. It is exceedingly unlikely that 100% of the population does not get it. So if that's the real number, that's the number we're looking at. I don't, however, think that's the correct number and is improper use of that data, given, at minimum, what Ralizah pointed out about the sheer number of asymptomatic cases. "Getting" the disease doesn't necessarily mean showing symptoms for up to half the population that gets it. And the population that will get it is 8 billion. Not all in wave 1, but largely in wave 1.

@Ralizah The more we find out about this thing, the more I start to wonder if it actually is a carefully designed weapon after all.... I seems to be precisely what someone wishing to shape and prune the world would design, in all the right ways.

@HobbitGamer For produce, I find it unlikely running it under water will help much - or rather, help more than baking it at 350 for 20 minutes, nuking it, or boiling it in whatever you're cooking. I've read that freezing is ineffective, it just preserves it. But I've seen no evidence that the same treatment that gets rid of food borne illness doesn't get rid of this.

Still, being in this region, it's a near guarantee stepping into the supermarket someone else in there has it. You're inhaling those droplets. And the hoarders requiring food limits made it that much worse. I would have stocked up on a week and a half of food. But with limits like 2doz eggs etc that means I have to go to 2 or 3 stores or go to the store 2 or 3 times a week to just buy the basics. The prevention guarantees spread.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@ThanosReXXX The population increase estimate on that website gives me anxiety just looking at it.

Sorry to hear about your family. Here's hoping everyone pulls through OK!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Okay, man. Whatever, I give up...

@Ralizah Thanks, much appreciated.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

1UP_MARIO

Untitled

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

HistoricKombat

Ralizah wrote:

The population increase estimate on that website gives me anxiety just looking at it.

Quit looking at those numbers, they don't mean anything to you. They are just rough numbers for doctors and government to use, they are useless to the general public other than fear mongering especially for the media. The numbers should not even be public. The fact is, the numbers are outdated, inaccurate and the actual count is probably greater by the time you look at them anyways. Unless you are working in medical or government, don't worry about the numbers. Just take care of yourself and family.

Edited on by HistoricKombat

HistoricKombat

NEStalgia

@MortalKombat2007 that's good to hear from someone that sounds like they're in that field?

I do disagree that such things shouldn't be public. The idea that truth and reality should be "managed" for a greater good by people's "betters" like medieval monks withholding literacy is the very thing that leads to distrust, suspicion, and panic. The information should be public. And not withheld for "proper interpreting", which we know leads to terrible deceit. But it should also include information on how to use it.

In this case it didn't make sense to use those numbers as is just given what data did and didn't go into them from what we DO know. Even from the official "managed" information the reality is sufficiently bleak regardless.

Though i think @ralizah was talking about the numbers for total Earth population, not cov2.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Yes, the ever-increasing estimated uptick of the world population briefly inspired a feeling of existential dread in me.

Once COVID-19 is gone, we'll still have the human virus and the looming threat of a Malthusian catastrophe to deal with.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Cotillion

Up to 93 cases here. From what I saw today, it's going to spread like wildfire. So many people not taking it seriously, out in large groups, hordes of people at stores, many buying needless junk that's not essential and the biggest culprit of all being Lotto. So many seniors out today buying Lotto. Footage coming out of local Wal*marts of people crammed into lines and aisles, no protection, no social distancing. People emptying their bank accounts to use cash only and saw many people with huge wads of cash (some in the thousands, just stuffed in their pockets). I work out on the front lines, so I'm seeing a lot of this first hand and even hearing people talk. Many are convinced this will be done and over with with a week or two. So much mishandling and unclear information.
We have had no deaths here in this province as of yet and sadly, that's what it's going to take for people to start taking it seriously. The claim was all cases were travel related, but now that's changed and it's now slowly getting out into the wild and unfortunately we seem to be poised to spread it as quickly as possible here.

Cotillion

ThanosReXXX

@MortalKombat2007 He was talking about the main page of the site:
https://www.worldometers.info/

It's the site of a company that keeps track of just about anything you can think of, not just the spread of a virus. If you look at their home page, you'll see every kind of topic, service or product imaginable, and the numbers constantly change, so to say that they are outdated, is a bit of an over-exaggeration, to be honest. Of course, they never stand still, so at some moments, they are "out of date", but seeing as they are updated in the blink of an eye, that never lasts long. And it's what they do, so if they did a bad job of it, then they'd probably be out of a job pretty soon...

Of course, they are dependent on their sources, so if these don't give them any up to date or correct numbers, then they obviously can't display them either, but other than that, their numbers are pretty much dead on, including the ones for the Corona virus, contrary to the belief of some pretty stubborn users on here...

NEStalgia

@Ralizah yep. I've said for a long time if humans don't do something about the population in a biiig way, via war or birth rate reduction, nature will guaranteed do it and it will be much worse that way. And here we are. And this still isn't going to meaningfully help with population. That isn't sustainable in any way and simply fuels plagues. I don't know how humans got to this point if overbreeding. It's the source of most problems including this current one. It isn't the West...

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@Cotillion Yup. My state went from 150 to 2000 cases in a span of 6 days. And people still don’t understand basics.

#MudStrongs

Ryu_Niiyama

@JoeDiddley just logged in. My condolences.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

Not sure who decides how much population is “too much”. Every person on the planet could fit inside Jacksonville, Florida standing shoulder to shoulder. I don’t know enough about the subject to make a claim here but, shooting from the hip on the issue, it sure feels like there’s more than enough land for everyone. Now, if the argument is that it’s not so much the population now as it is a concern for a rapidly growing population in the future, that I could probably understand.

That all being said, just from my own perspective, God commanded man to multiply and subdue the earth. So I don’t believe there’s a problem with mankind doing exactly that. I think Christ will return and the millennial reign will happen long before population ever becomes a serious issue (or pollution, for that matter, not that I’m endorsing blatantly littering but I do think it’s going to prove a poor choice in hindsight to spend so much money trying to control carbon emissions).

In any case, I’m really starting to worry about this coronavirus as I see more and more reports of younger people dying. I don’t know what’s going on but something doesn’t seem right, just doesn’t seem to match up with the early reports out of China. @Ralizah can you speak more on this blood type thing? I checked out the links you dropped but I didn’t notice anything about blood type.

Update 5/27

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tyranexx

I had to do a grocery run yesterday. A few other shoppers were in the store, but pretty much everyone kept their distance. My state has all non-essential businesses and schools closed until at least April 8th, and if possible people are encouraged to work from home. There were definitely less people out and about, but it's obvious that a few aren't taking this seriously. I've seen parents allowing their kids to play on playground equipment for example.

My own behaviors haven't changed very much - I like clean hands and keeping to my own personal space - but even I've been wiping my hands and frequently used items down more than usual. I'm digging my new five second commute, but I've still been sneaking out of my house for some exercise. The weather here has been decent this week, plus walking outdoors is pretty therapeutic for me.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic