Forums

Topic: Anyone up to making a game?

Posts 281 to 300 of 440

Raylax

Platformer. Beyond that, not much idea. Read page 14 at least, it'll give you a decent idea of where this project's at.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Yai

If people want Game Maker so much, I'll just leave the project.

Yai

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3356-2346 | Twitter:

Raylax

On the game maker issue, I see it like this (and before anyone backlashes at me, seriously just read what the rest of this thread is like): We either have Yai as sole programmer in Delphi, and we get something good out of it. Or we have the whole community use Game Maker (and by the way, I have yet to see a single post here from anyone saying they actually have any real experience using it, just "LET'S USE GAME MAKER I CAN LEARN IT"), and get a haphazard pile of utterly broken code.

If you're going to make any comments on the coding of this project, please for the love of all that is holy read the whole thread first. If you can't be bothered doing that then don't bother commenting.

Raylax

Mabbit

Isn't Game Maker pretty mediocre in terms of depth of programming and such? I don't know how complete a game we could make using it... If you guys want, I can try to recruit a few other Delphi programmers. I go to a lot of forums, it'd be pretty easy to find one.

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

HolyMackerel

If the deleted posts were about Game Maker, it isn't a breeze to learn and use either. The end result probably won't be as good as if a good programmer coded it. You've already got one so you'd best appreciate that. Yai could be the most talented person on your team right now. Besides, without a programmer the project falls apart. For all of the ideas and artwork you can come up with, there is no game without a programmer coding it.

@hulklol It's not your project so you shouldn't barge in giving directions and opinions. If you're so interested, then instead of asking how far the project is you should read what's been said so far.

HolyMackerel

zezhyrule

HolyMackerel wrote:

Not an easy job and not everyone can do it. It's hard to say how to pick them, actually.

Untitled

Anyway, on a more serious note, I'd be happy to help with the music part of this project. I'm not sure I'd want to be the main person in charge of music though, since I don't have much experience in the field (creating music, that is).

Also, I agree with what @H-Mack said in the last post, on both accounts.

Edited on by zezhyrule

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

shinesprite

@Raylax I really have to go against the game maker on this one (yes, I have read the entire thread). I tried to once, and although running, jumping, picking up items, and player status were pre-written, for anything else, I was pretty much on my own. In addition, I could there being a lot of strings attached when it comes to licensing. Needless to say, my game died during the creation of a beta level.

As for Delphi code, I'm hopeless on my own. However, if someone is in charge and willing to correct/explain mistakes in other people's code, then I'd be willing to give it a go. I can learn from my mistakes.

shinesprite

Raylax

Pre-written GM code is also an inflexible bug-fest at best. My vote is firmly against Game Maker, as you all know. However I wouldn't recommend - like at all - people start trying to learn Delphi just for this project. You're not going to be nearly good enough at it in anything like a workable time frame, especially if you have no prior real coding experience, and we don't have the time or resources to teach people. If you're already experienced in Delphi (I don't think anyone here is), then... talk to Yai, I guess, although I suspect this is going to be a one-programmer job.

And before anyone asks, no, we can't have bits in Delphi and bits in Game Maker. We can't do that, it won't work, and it's a really bad idea anyway for more reasons than I care list. Let's just forget Game Maker altogether, shall we?

Edited on by Raylax

Raylax

shinesprite

@Raylax Agreed.

Part of the reason why we are so disorganized, is because everyone has roughly the same say.
Personally, I feel that we should elect leaders for each area with a two overall (eg. President and Vice President) leaders. We could elect the leaders using http://pollcode.com/

For art, we'd need sketchers and pixel artists; for music 8-bit soundtrack composers and sound effects. Writers would work on the script and developing characters. Also, the NL community could be the beta testers.

Jobs could be posted in a detailed work-flow chart and it would be up to the leaders of each area to make sure we stay on track.

Wow! I really feel bad Yai! It would be nice to know if others can do the level design/animation instead.

@Yai How much can be taken off your shoulders?

shinesprite

Raylax

Voting for leaders won't work, nobody has any real idea how good anyone is at anything. The result might as well be entirely random, this is one of those things where democracy doesn't work. Just let Kaiser allocate positions. I'd recommend:

Art Lead, Project Lead: KaiserGX
Programming Lead: Yai
Project Management: Raylax
Story Lead:
Music Lead:
Graphics Lead:

Leads need to be picked based on their abilities rather than just because they'd like to do it. Everything done by the community goes through the Leads for quality control, improvements, etc, before it can be put into the game.

Raylax

girl209

i read all the posts
and i kinda know that you already have people in this but
i'd like to help in someway too.. so can i help? im good at but im good at drawing, and i sometime animate a little bit (i dont use flash... to expesive ._.), i also have a tablet
i've tryed pixeling a few times, i can practice some more
maybe i can help come up with the story?
someone answer me please
also, i have a question about the squrel with the muscles, is that going to be the actual character design or was it a joke

i really really really really want to join this project

Edited on by girl209

girl209

shinesprite

I really wish pixelman was in on this, he should definitely lead the graphics!

@kaiserGX I guess we could go with the epic yarn level unlocking system, but the player should have to traverse areas in between domes.

@girl209 Welcome! It'll take a bit of time to get incorporated. In the mean time, show us your ideas (we'd love to see them). Draw a sketch if you want (just remember to keep it somewhere in-between Mario bros and Cave Story).

Edited on by shinesprite

shinesprite

Raylax

Welcome to NL, girl209. Show us what you can draw.

Raylax

zezhyrule

With music, are you all planning on having NES style music? That's what I got from shinesprite's post at least. Cause I'm sure there's a program that has all of the NES sounds, with the limitations and all. If you're just going chiptune, I've been into ORGmaker lately, if it was possible to put ORG files in the game. I know the music might be a ways off, until we get the styles/genres wanted and what kind of music is wanted, but I'm just wondering :3

Edited on by zezhyrule

edhe

@Zezhyrule

FamiTracker is another NES chip synthesizer you might have a good time with. It's a bit advanced for me though.

As for music, I'd be happy to give it a try (at least contribute), but I'm not used to working with 8-bit sounds.

I have a FL Studio plugin that can replicate various 8 bit sounds, but I can't get the authentic "sound" if you know what I mean.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

shinesprite

I know people working on music for the game have been leaning towards traditional 8-bit, but I think we should really set our sights higher than that. Reshuffled 8-bit or chiptune could work nicely, but you'd really need to ask our undetermined sound manager.

shinesprite

edhe

shinesprite wrote:

I know people working on music for the game have been leaning towards traditional 8-bit, but I think we should really set our sights higher than that. Reshuffled 8-bit or chiptune could work nicely, but you'd really need to ask our undetermined sound manager.

The music should match the style and the graphics of the game.

Traditionally, musicians are brought in near the end of game development. Overwise, they will have a hard time making music that fits the game.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

zezhyrule

Yeah we don't really know... Anything about the game yet. Still some time. It could be interesting to make the stages, story, or even the gameplay off of the Music though xD

KaiserGX

Rylax, I would never suggest something I would think is impossible. (I didn't know about your programming background) but people here take things the wrong way a lot of the time. I know how programming is, I had 2 years of classes in high school using C+, (It just isn't my thing, I hate numbers, I am bad at math). I was trying to simplify it for the people who didn't know programming. It is simple, from what I have learned, the thing is I am extremely slow at it. I can barely count numbers at a decent speed. Computing and numbers in general frustrate the hell out of me.

The thing is though, we are discussing things, nothing I say will ever be set in stone, or anyone else for that matter (until the final build). When someone thinks they cannot do what is asked or suggested, speak up and we change stuff around.

Edit: Honestly I want to screw the story and characters for now and fine tune the game play physics. I rather have something that runs good, and base a mold around that. Though that's just how I like to do things.

Edited on by KaiserGX

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Xkhaoz

I doubt I'll be lead for anything, but I'll do pretty much anything that no one else will do, except probably graphics. Expect mainly music from me, but I'll help with story if you absolutely need it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.