Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 11,221 to 11,240 of 13,106

RR529

Well, thanks for all the replies (regarding the South Korean Monster series). Thanks for clearing it up.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Chiller Anime Wednesday night!

Is it a Zombie? - Our zombie's harem grows with the arrival of a vampire ninja (yes, you heard that right). Thinking herself a better servant to the necromancer than our zombie MC, she challenges him to a fight, which he wins, However she still ends up staying at his residence. I'll admit that the show is kind of a guilty pleasure in it's absurdity, but whose bright idea was it to NOT translate text, when one character exclusively converses via written notes?

Tokyo Majin - The story goes a bit back in time to when our ghoul fighting group of students was first coming together. This time, fighting a ghoul in an old abandoned school building (pre-WWII era school), which took the form of a student who once attended.

Devil May Cry - Dante gets a visit from an old friend, and doing a favor for her, revs up his engines to challenge the leader of a biker gang to a street race. The goal? To lure out and kill a literal speed demon, taking the form of an unbeatable bike racer.

Black Blood Brothers - Only saw first half, because I got word from by brother, who'se on his vacation. Our vampiric brothers find themselves with the assistance of Makiko (a moderator between humans & vampires) after arriving on Japan's shore, but are attacked by government forces before being able to enter the Special Zone (this is as far as I got).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Read the newest chapter of Bleach earlier!

This week they focus solely on Kenpachi & Mayuri VS Stern Ritter "C".

Kenpachi rips off his disabled arm, just in case the strange affliction transfers to the rest of his body (which Mayuri confirms it would).

Seeing as how any would be assailant against Stern Ritter "C" gets maimed by his mysterious ability just by being close to him, Kenpachi's strategy is to just strike faster than the ability can take hold. Kenpachi gets another head shot in, but both of his legs twist around as the power takes hold.

Before he succumbs to it however, Mayuri uses an ability that paralyzes him, saving him. As it so happens, Stern Ritter "C" is also paralyized, and Mayuri suspects that the strange power is connected to the Quincy flooding his own nerves with spirit energy, and exposing them to the outside (yeah, I don't get it either). Mayuri strikes Stern Ritter "C" with his blade, and once again, the Quincy's form begins to bloat, and finally it looks as if his hood is going to tear off, revealing his true form.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

I actually ended up reading a little 20th Century Boy earlier. I'm still midway through the first volume, so nothing to report yet, just thought I'd mention it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

I actually ended up reading a little 20th Century Boy earlier. I'm still midway through the first volume, so nothing to report yet, just thought I'd mention it.

It's a slow start of a series tbh. I wasn't into it until at least volume 2.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

I expected that, tbh. It's been by Bathroom reading along with Gundam Crossbone (because none of my apps have Gundam Astray for some reason), which is why I'm going so slow.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shaneoh

It's kinda bad I watched the entirety of Attack on Titan in one weekend, but I enjoyed it soooo much. Sucks I have to wait for over a year for the next season to come out, the ending was such a tease.

Anyone able to tell me if Golgo 13 is any good?

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

RR529

Well, Screwattack's Death Battle "Goku VS Superman 2" is now up on YouTube, and they were really extra definitive with the conclusion this time.

It ended conclusively. While Goku put up a good fight, in the end he was a Super Sayain god Super Sayain (yes, that's the official term for his newest, blue haired form), and yet Superman simply WALKED through a fully powered Kamehameha, grabbed SSgSS Goku by the hand, and fried his brain with a micro incisioned blast of heat vision with surgical precision.

They repeated their conclusion from last time, that Goku could achieve 100 new transformations & it still wouldn't be enough. With characters like these two it's not pure numbers that decide the victor (though Superman has the greater ones), since both characters have proved them meaningless. The deciding factor is the very nature of the characters themselves. Goku is a character defined by having a limit, facing someone stronger, surpasing himself, rinse, wash, repeat. Superman is the story of an alien immigrant whose only limitations are what he believes them to be, and once he accepts his alien heritage those restraints are loosened. It's not a story of what he can do or who he can beat, it's a story about what he should do. When you pit a character who can break any limit against one who has no limits, the loser has to be the one who has the limit in the first place. "Having a Goku that's as strong as Superman defeats the purpose. If he no longer had a goal to reach in terms of strength, would he really be Goku anymore?"

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

shaneoh

RR529 wrote:

Well, Screwattack's Death Battle "Goku VS Superman 2" is now up on YouTube, and they were really extra definitive with the conclusion this time.
snip

Untitled

Untitled

Supes does seem to have limits

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

CanisWolfred

Quick update: Getting towards the end of Vol. 1 of 20th Century Boy, slow but sure. Also, episode 3 of Ushio & Tora was pretty good, as was the third episode of Wooser S3.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

It's kinda weird how Soul Eater Not has way worse female character writing than the shonen action made for boys series. Like Maka is probably one of the best written shonen protagonists out there, but Soul Eater Not is mostly just Soul Eater K-On. And brutally honest, not even as funny.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

GreatGoateeGuy

Oh my gosh... I'm watching Cowboy Bebop for the first time and the scene where Spike went to Viscious while "In the Rain" played was absolute perfection. My jaw dropped.

Edited on by GreatGoateeGuy

Kay-O.

nacho_chicken

shaneoh wrote:

It's kinda bad I watched the entirety of Attack on Titan in one weekend, but I enjoyed it soooo much. Sucks I have to wait for over a year for the next season to come out, the ending was such a tease.

I don't even know where they're planning on stopping season 2, but if it covers as many volumes as season 1, the ending to the next season is going to be so much more of a tease it's not even funny. It gets crazy after where the anime ends. I mean, BIGFOOT IS REAL! YOU GET A TITAN, YOU GET A TITAN, EVERYONE GETS A TITAN! THE WALLS ARE MADE OUT OF FREAKING [spoilers censored]!!!

Anything that wasn't censored isn't a spoiler when taken out of context. I hate spoilers just as much as you do. Please don't kill me.

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

RR529

Toonami Saturday night!

DBZ Kai - Missed it.

Kill la Kill - Ryuko & Satsuki put up an epically valiant effort against Ragyo, and with the help of their friends, they're able to see the Primordial Life Fiber destroyed! Looks as if things aren't over yet, as Ragyo unveils a new fighting suit.

Michiko & Hatchin - Michiko leaves Hatchin at an orphanage to keep her safe as she looks to gather info from some particularly dangerous faces from her past, but while she's away, a rival gang from her past (now grown into full fledged organized crime syndicate) kidnaps Hatchin for revenge (it's assumed Michiko killed their old boss in days gone by).

Sword Art Online II - Turns out ALO is built on a more complete version of SAO's code than other VRMMO's are, which means it can scan the net autonomously looking for lore/stories from across the globe, making new side quests based on them whenever it wants. As it so happens, this Excalibur quest is one such as this, and what makes it notable is that the computer system has authorization to completely destroy & recreate the game world as it sees fit through these quests. While this won't cause real world harm, if the computer "wins" & no one is able to complete the quest, the game world would be altered forever, and ALO would have to be recreated from scratch (as there's no way for the devs, who probably aren't aware of the feature, to simply override it). After defeating some tough bosses & accepting help from a sketchy NPC, the gang runs into the Frost Giant king, the final boss.

Naruto Shippuden - Asuna's team pays respects at the destroyed Fire Temple, then heads off to search for the Akatsuki. Naruto is hungry, but his favorite restaurant no longer serves ramen!? Let the battle of noodles commence!

One Piece - As the rest of the gang continue to fight off captain upon captain, Luffy rises once more to face Lucci. The battle is fiercely epic, and while things look dim for Luffy at a time, he doesn't fall, and with an epic final attack claims victory.

Also, they altered their Toonami: Pre-Flight commercial to reflect the current lineup (up until last week, it still had clips of InuYasha: TFA, Deadman Wonderland, and even Gurren Lagann), and announced they'll have an exclusive look at Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F next week during DBZ Kai (hope I don't miss it again).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

I'm more than halfway through the list of 12 Summer simulcasts I wanted to try this month, so I'll post my preliminary thoughts so far:

1) Ushio & Tora - This is really freakin' good. A lot like Inuyasha if that series didn't completely waste its potential. It's also been episodic, making weekly viewing a little easier on me.

2) Wooser: Phantasmagoria Arc - I liked this series of comedic shorts before, but this season has been better by a long shot. It's much more focused on building up to a good joke rather than spitfiring some quick ones, making for a much more even experience. Another one I look forward to week after week.

3) GATE - I still haven't had a chance to watch more than the first episode, but that was apparently a very slow setup, even by the source material's standards. I still think it has a great premise, but the main dude is on the edge of being extremely annoying, and the pace will need to pick up. I'll give the rest a watch next Wednesday, hopefully.

4) Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers- - I like the concept, but it was another slow first episode. I can't really much about it right now. I'll try to watch more soon-ish...it could go either way.

5) Charlotte - Again, I like the premise, but the main character is annoying and the first episode was slow. I'll watch more once I'm caught up with the 2 above.

6) Gangsta. - The one I wanted to see most, and it did not disappoint as far as first impressions go. Interesting premise, great characters, and best of all, good pacing. It didn't feel like it was wasting time, and it set things up while being a satisfying episode on it's own.

7) Classroom Crisis - The biggest surprise so far. Maybe I didn't understand the premise, but I was expecting something more akin to Aria or K-On-in-space, but instead it was...better than that. It has a plot, which I did not expect. That plot is based on a twist that I didn't expect. It had action scenes, which again, I didn't expect. It also had much more interesting characters than I expected it to have. It actually pays much more attention to the sci-fi elements than I anticipated. It surpassed my expectations, and I'll admit, it's the only one to do so thus far. I'm certainly excited to see where it goes.

Hopefully there will be more surprises among the final 5 shows I need to try.

Oh, and I'm still watching One Piece week to week, while also starting the Stardust Crusaders arc of JoJo's Bizarre Adventures.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Watched episode 16 of Kyokai no Rinne today!

The gang had to deal with the evil spirit of a grade schooler, who was terrorizing the schoolgrounds with a giant bladed yo-yo!

There was no new DBS this week.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Read the new Bleach earlier today!

Stern Ritter C's hood is torn up, revealing that in reality, it is a man sized hand, with an eye in it's palm!?

Mayuri states that this is likely the Left Arm of the Soul King. Why it is aligned with Ywach is a mystery (as Ywach just usurped the Soul King, and Stern Ritter C has obviously been on his side since the beginning), but it's likely that they can operate independently for whatever reason, as the Right Arm had forged a contract with Captain Ukitake (as was revealed earlier, it was only due to his bond with the Right Arm as a youth that he hadn't succumbed to his illness).

The hand revealed it's name (Perminas, I think) and launched an attack at Mayuri, who blocked it with a weird looking umbrella, laughing hysterically at the notion that he'll have a new "specimen" to study.

Probably won't be watching Chiller Anime Wednesdays anymore, as my bro didn't care for any of the shows on offer.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Toonami Saturday night!

DBZ Kai - It's Gohan & Krillin VS Captain Gokyu! Also, the thrilling (albiet brief) fight between Vegeta & Jeice! Oh, and Vegeta brags about supposedly becoming a Super Sayain (of course not yet), a boast he's going to be repeting ad nauseum throughout the arc

Kill la Kill - The gang faces off against Ragyo in her super clothing (which controls all life fibers). Naturally, Ryuko & Senketsu are immune (being both and neither Human or Life Fiber at the same time), and upon absorbing the powers of everyone else's Goku uniforms, goes Super Sayain!?! (well, her hair turned gold and stood up on end, at least) With her new powerup, she took to the skies to defeat Ragyo once & for all! Really fun series, and sad to see it go (wasn't a big fan of Satsuki's new haircut there at the end, just as an FYI, lol).

Michiko & Hatchin - In order to save Hatchin from some mobsters, Mitchiko sneaks into a bullfight where she finds herself face to face with the beast! Luckily she's able to avoid it's wrath, beat up on the head mobster in the area (redirecting the bull's attention to him, to boot), and rescue Hatchin. They now head off to find Satoshi, an even more fearsome mob boss, who'se in an even seedier city, but is the only lead to the possible whereabouts of Hiroshi.

Sword Art Online - The gang are able to defeat the frost giant king with the help of the almighty Thor (though he's much bigger than I remember, and he didn't bring the other Avengers with him, lol). Upon clearing the quest, Yoddenheim is saved (as well as ALO as we know it), Klien recieves Mijonir much to his disappointment (as he doesn't have any hammer skills), and Kirito nabs himself Excalibur itself. Klien continues to be a doofus, as he asks an NPC he's smitten with for it's number :/

Naruto Shippuden - Naruto enters the next step of his training, where he's to evolve the Rasengan into a more powerful form never achieved before (not even by the former Hokage who created the technique), and isn't having much luck so far. The Akatsuki cash in on the corpse of the dead monk they killed, while Leaf ninja close in on their location. Meanwhile, Sakura learns that her special food pills taste like poo, lol.

One Piece - Good news all around as Lucci is confirmed defeated, the Franky Family is confirmed alive, and the Strawhats' only means of escape is blown up... wait! That last one wasn't good! Things are looking right grim for our heroes again as their escape ship is blown up, and the ships of the Buster Call begin destroying the bridge they're on (despite Robin being with them), but it seems like they have one last bit of hope! Usopp hears a strange voice that calls them to jump into the sea! When they do, they find their old ship, the Going Merry waiting to save them! Despite irreversible damage, it used it's magical "Cop Out" powers to save the day!

Also, we got a sneak peak of Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F, which showed us the first few punches of SSgSS Goku VS Golden Frieza! Also, a trailer for Akame Ga Kill (which begins next week), and the announcement of new Toonami T-Shirts.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Watched episode 17 of Kyokai no Rinne tonight! Thanks to the meddling of Masato, Tsubasa repeatedly unintentionally curses Rinne, and while the effects of the curse are more humorous than damaging to Rinne, Tsubasa has to find a way to reverse the effect, otherwise he may end up getting sent to H***. Of course, shenanigans ensue!

I'm up to chapter 210 in the KnR manga as well.

Also, I watched episode 4 of Dragon Ball Super as well. A lot of comedy relief as Pilaf enters the picture, sneaking on board the cruise ship where Bulma's party is being held. Also, King Kai slips up and leaks the existence of Beerus to Goku, just as the diety arrives on the planet...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic