Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 11,201 to 11,220 of 13,108

GreatGoateeGuy

How is Berserk? I've been wanting a good fantasy anime for a long time, and I've heard it recommended often. What do you guys think?

Kay-O.

CanisWolfred

GreatGoateeGuy wrote:

How is Berserk? I've been wanting a good fantasy anime for a long time, and I've heard it recommended often. What do you guys think?

I think it's a good fantasy anime. I've been told the animation is lacking, but I honestly thought it looked good. The story was cool, but do know that the ending is awful and they only animated a small part of the still-ongoing manga...it's still worth a ride, though, at least in my opinion.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

I've been reading the Berserk manga. The anime only covers the portion of the story from the past (i.e. Guts' origins and his time with the Band of the Hawk). It has A LOT of gore and nudity (even children), so be warned that it's NSFW. Regardless, the story is actually quite good, even though it seems to be a bit bloated right now. Heck, I don't know if even the writer knows where to take.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

nacho_chicken

LztheQuack wrote:

Heck, I don't know if even the writer knows where to take.

Something something GET OFF THE BOAT ALREADY
I don't even read Berserk, but from hearsay, Miura's pacing is legendary... and not in a good way.

The dude just needs to lay off the IDOLM@STER. Same with Togashi and Dragon Quest. /s

Relevant image:
Untitled

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

RR529

Watched episode 3 of Dragon Ball Super earlier tonight!

This episode pretty much confirmed that the first arc is a remake of Battle of Gods. Beerus/Bills returns home after his campaign of planetary destruction, and while eating, brings up his "Super Sayain god" prophecy (since he finally remembered the name). Weis informs him of planet Vegeta's destruction, and that out of a few Sayain survivors, Son Goku rose to slay Frieza after becoming a Super Sayain (no "god" though, to Beerus' chargin). Learning that Goku is training on King Kai's planet, Beerus heads their at full speed.

Meanwhile, the rest of the cast is gathering at Bulma's birthday party, which is out to sea on a cruise liner this time (rather than the Capsule Corp as in the movie), which results in some brand new antics, like Master Roshi making good use of binoculars with his "beach watching". Also, some brand new scenes with Kabuto Kai & the Elder Kai, with the elder of the two informing the younger about the horrors of Beerus, and how he was the one who had trapped him in the Z Sword.

Also, I watched episode 15 of Kyokai no Rinne. Comedy ensues as Ageha & Jumonji try to "break up" Rinne & Sakura, all the while Rinne is trying to show Sakura that there is nothing between him & Ageha. Things get tricky when an evil spirit (in the form of an octopus shaped hot dog) tries to trick everyone into making wishes (which it grants in exchange for souls).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

TylerTheCreator

Maybe not technically an anime, but it's based off of an anime. Is anyone watching the live action drama version of Death Note?

Untitled

I watched the first episode of it, and half of the second. I was watching it really late last night, so I was beginning to feel sleepy. So, I haven't finished the second episode yet. But, I digress.

The first episode is a whole hour long. The second one is 45 minutes. The third episode will be out tomorrow. I won't spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't read the manga nor seen the anime, but they're really Hollywood-ing it up, if that makes sense. There are many, albiet minute, changes to the plot, characters, settings, etc. I wouldn't immediately say this is a bad thing. I mean, hey; it definitely keeps it interesting since you're waiting to find out what happens next, since everything is a bit changed. It's pretty fun to watch.

TylerTheCreator

3DS Friend Code: 1633-4674-8666 | Nintendo Network ID: Shock-T

Joeynator3000

Well, looks like I'm getting my full refund...I guess now I'll just deal with the downloaded videos and hope that Funimation dubs season 2 of Squid Girl. (and re-release the first one, lol)

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Joeynator3000

Sergio151 wrote:

@Megumi
Does Funimation have the license to Squid Girl? But even if they do, they probably won't release it anytime soon sadly.

They don't, but I think there were rumors going on about it. And I can't tell what they're up to, apparently there's a new School Rumble season happening (or OVA or whatever, lol). I also thought they were finally dubbing the Strike Witches movie...haven't heard anything on that, ugh. TwT

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

CanisWolfred

GreatGoateeGuy wrote:

How is Monster?

I've only read the manga, but it is gripping. Occasionally grotesque, but I felt it wasn't using it for shock value as much as other manga. I definitely recommend giving it a read. I've heard 20th Century Boys and Pluto are great as well. Actually most of the author's works tend to be praised pretty highly, though I never had a chance to read any of them besides Monster...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Speaking of Monster, there's a Korean live action show on Netflix with the same name.

Is it of any relation to the manga/anime (like an adaptation of some sort), or completely unrelated? I've never read the manga or seen the anime, so I have no idea what it's about.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CaviarMeths

@GreatGoateeGuy I've only watched the anime for Monster, but it's definitely in my top 10 all time. It's a great story. Can't really say much without dampening the impact of a lot of story revelations, but definitely watch the first few episodes and decide from there.

@RR529 Going by story synopsis, there's no relation. I haven't seen it, but I might check it out. South Korean crime thrillers tend to be very high quality. New World, Nameless Gangster, The Man From Nowhere, A Bittersweet Life, The Chaser, Memories of Murder, Mother, I Saw the Devil, Thirst, Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance/Lady Vengeance, Bedeviled, A Company Man, A Dirty Carnival all great movies and I think most of them have been on Netflix. Often brutal and horrific, but there's a stark honesty to it all and the narrative conventions are all completely different than what you might be used to in Hollywood films.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

nacho_chicken

CanisWolfred wrote:

GreatGoateeGuy wrote:

How is Monster?

I've heard 20th Century Boys and Pluto are great as well.

I'll vouch for 20th Century Boys being great. Really gripping epic that crosses generations. The mystique of the Cult of Friend was particularly intriguing.

On a side-rant, I really, REALLY couldn't stand when whoever did the translating for the scanlation I read couldn't figure out how to translate "zekkou" into English.
Minor spoilers for the context:

Whenever someone tries to leave the Friendship, they get "zekkou"ed, I.E. killed.

In the TN they kept saying how it basically meant a stronger word for "breaking off a friendship". I was screaming at the screen: "DISFELLOWSHIP! IT FITS WITH THE CULT THEME AND EVERYTHING!!"

I don't know how the official release translated it, though.

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Wheeler

Ushio & Tora
Ushio & Tora
Ushio & Tora

Okay, I also been watching:

Monster Musurme
Dragon Ball Super
To Love-Ru Darkness 2nd
Prison School

Still need to watch Gate and Rokka no Yuusha next.

Edit: The color pages of chapter 412 of ZKC was outstanding. Takashi keeps on impressing more. I wonder what's the big news? Please be the green light for the 2nd season.

Edited on by Wheeler

Wheeler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic