Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 961 to 980 of 2,598

Octane

@antdickens Whenever I get notifications from replies on Push Square, it takes me to the right URL, but the URL still contains ''nintendolife.com'' instead of ''pushsquare.com'', resulting in an error. I know that manually editing the URL isn't a huge deal, but it would be neat if it recognised the replies from Push Square and sent me over there right away.

Also, the notifications from Push Square seem to take a while to show up.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane I am not overly sure who to ask about this however, who is able to edit/change a thread title, if it is indeed possible at all?

Ta.

Peek-a-boo

CanisWolfred

@Peek-a-boo Don't you just have to edit the first post of your topic? The title should appear in its own text box above the body, where you can edit it as necessary. If you want a mod to change a thread you haven't started, though, that's...a good question. I've always seen people just "@"-ing a mod in the specific topics in the past, but it's been a while since I've been in a thread where that was necessary...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Yup, like CanisWolfred already said, the OP can change the title by editing his/her first post. Moderators can also edit posts and thus can edit thread titles.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

That clears up what I wanted to know. Thanks guys!

Any chance that somebody can swoop in and spell PlayStation properly on the PlayStation 4 thread?!

It drives me nuts, ha ha!

Peek-a-boo

Joeynator3000

Ok, can we PLEASE get rid of the Pokemon Sun/Moon background? I'm sick of accidentally clicking on it and being taken to another site.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Kanahu

Hey guys. First of all, I want to say thanks for everything you do for this site and for the Nintendo community. This is the first place that I go for all my Nintendo-related news.

I do have a suggestion for improving the site, and it regards what users are able to see in comments and forums via a 'settings' style option.

When I browse topics I find myself frequently frustrated by the inability to filter/hide comments that I find instigating, derogatory and offensive (across multiple sites, not just this one). I want to hide them on NintendoLife so I don't have to worry about them any further, but there is no option to do so. My suggestion would be to implement a setting in the preferences menu that would allow for a 'block list' for users to add users whose comments that they don't want to see anymore on articles, forum posts and the like.

Any user can add any other user to their own personal block list in their preferences, and the blocked comments and forum posts would essentially become 'invisible'. I know many other sites use site mechanics like this in order to allow users to combat harassment and aggressive postings and keep forums and topics clean and friendly for everyone.

An alternative to such a draconian system would be a 'block comments under XX value likes' system. NintendoLife already has the 'like post' heart button on all of it's articles, but it doesn't really do anything meaningful. With a +/- post system, users can more accurately voice how they feel about other users posts, and can opt to avoid posts that do not reach a certain rating by setting the value in their preferences. I know of a few different sites that uses this mechanic very successfully.

In any case, thank you for everything you do and thank you for keeping everybody update with the latest confirmed Nintendo news.

Kanahu

Octane

@Kanahu Just letting you know that we have a report button, if you think a comment is too derogatory or offensive, just hit the report button and we'll have a look at it.

Octane

Kanahu

@Octane And it is very much appreciated, truly it is; but people can be derogatory, offensive, instigating, biased and bigoted without breaking the rules of the site, or even sounding like that's what they're being/doing; particularly by hiding behind the 'it's my own personal opinion' argument.

And everyone is in fact entitled to their opinions and the right to voice them, but that doesn't mean that anybody else has to listen to them, especially if they don't want to. By putting the ability to avoid/ignore these people into NintendoLife, you're empowering your users with the ability to make the site even more enjoyable for them on a personal level.

On a website-building note, Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr all offer block lists to their users to allow them to avoid content that they find offensive, and they're pretty much all comments and opinion sections. Just thinking out loud there.

Once again, thank you for everything that you guys do for the site, and for keeping us up-to-date with all the latest confirmed Nintendo news.

Kanahu

FGPackers

What about a button for the forum topics that makes you go to the "last seen post"? I think it can be a quite comfortable feature. I'm sorry if it's a stupid question but i'm not good with this sort of things (making sites for example)

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Octane

@FGPackers If you click on ''00 mins ago by [insert user]'', it'll take you to the latest post in the thread. If you just click on the thread itself it'll automatically take you to first unseen post in the thread.

Octane

FGPackers

Oh nice to hear it! I didn't know about the second one. Thanks a lot @Octane!

Edited on by FGPackers

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Nintendo_Ninja

Have you ever thought about having a community blog? Like a designated area of the site where users could publish and comment on their own articles? You could even have a weekly list of the best blogs on the official site. Game Informer and other gaming sites have similar stuff.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

CanisWolfred

@Nintendo_Ninja I just want to point out that I've been to a lot of forums that have this same feature. Usually I find this out because its regularly abused by spam-bots, and the occasional attention-. It's also great place for massive dramas that goes unchecked because its not a part of the regular forum.

At best, it's a place where people can ramble about stuff that the rest of the users don't really care about.

Edited on by gcunit

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

AlliMeadow

I really think we need a rule regulating abbreviations. Sometimes it is okay, I get that when I'm in a thread of a game series I'm unfamiliar with there will be some abbreviations, and as long as I can find out the meaning with a quick google search it is usually not a big deal. Other times though, it is almost impossible to find out what the abbreviations are supposed to mean. It makes debates and discussions less accessible as well as having to waste time and posts on questions like "what does (abbreviation) mean?"

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

CanisWolfred

AlliMeadow wrote:

I really think we need a rule regulating abbreviations. Sometimes it is okay, I get that when I'm in a thread of a game series I'm unfamiliar with there will be some abbreviations, and as long as I can find out the meaning with a quick google search it is usually not a big deal. Other times though, it is almost impossible to find out what the abbreviations are supposed to mean. It makes debates and discussions less accessible as well as having to waste time and posts on questions like "what does (abbreviation) mean?"

That's a people thing, though. Like, I know what you mean, but you may as well be saying that this forum should ban laziness...it's not that hard to ask, "what does this abbreviation mean?" Nor should you feel it makes the discussion "inaccessible" because they're the idiots for throwing around abbreviations without giving proper context, like spelling it out at least once in their post, especially if they're quoting someone (people can have this same problem with pronouns, too, For Your Information).

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

AlliMeadow

@CanisWolfred pronoun problems can easily be avoided by using their instead of him or her. I get your point though, and it isn't a huge problem. Sometimes it just really grind my gears.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

CanisWolfred

AlliMeadow wrote:

@CanisWolfred pronoun problems can easily be avoided by using their instead of him or her.

No, I mean, people can often use pronouns in conversations while forgetting to reference who "he, she and they" are first. At least, it's been a common mistake I've encountered. I'll admit that I try to keep my offline interactions to a minimum, so I my sample size might be a little too limited.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ogo79

can i get a freakin badge of honor or something?
i mean hey
Untitled
im fine with this

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic