Forums

Topic: Why do people say the 3ds is expensive as if its not worth the value

Posts 21 to 40 of 55

zeeroid

The problem isn't necessarily that the 3DS isn't worth what it offers. Rather, it seems like a worse deal when compared with many of the other gaming devices out there. Both the Wii and the cheapest Xbox 360 cost significantly less than a 3DS right now. Even the PSP, whose horsepower is about on par with the 3DS, costs half as much. Only the PS3 costs more, and then just slightly. Even the current model iPod Touch costs a bit less. With all these other options, as well as the promise of a new Sony handheld which looks to be about the hottest piece of tech around (and Sony will almost certainly take a loss on the hardware, unlike Nintendo), you have to question whether you really need to pay a whole $250 for the 3DS.

Ultimately, it will come down to software, as those above me have stated. I'm buying it now because I have faith that the quality software will come and provide the value we're looking for. Others who are less hopeful may be better off waiting a while. Except for a certain pre-order bonus, I likely would have waited too.

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

DarkLloyd

No offense i hope, but do you guys realise that there wouldnt be a hardware revision or a price drop if it werent for us early buyers getting it right? in a way your benefiting from us.

sorry if anyone takes it seriously but i just wanted to get it out there

Edited on by DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd

komicturtle

Nintendo of America gave us an generous $100 discount from the price it was SUPPOSED to be.

So, I'll take it. And because I want this to be the first console I get on launch.

komicturtle

Funky_Gamer

It may seem a little expensive, but its probably worth it in the end.

"Remember: when life rocks you, RAWK BACK!" ~Rawk Hawk
FNS: Y B L R R R B >

kkslider5552000

It's expensive but it definitely makes sense for that price. And I've seen far worse, the amount of mediocre games I've bought for 60 bucks, the initial price for PS3, almost any game costing as much as Metroid Prime Trilogy and the Orange Box, any Wiiware game costing as much as World of Goo, the cost of controllers, GBA link cables, already on the disc DLC etc.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 better be happening! In the meanwhile though, here's a fun little Let's Play of the original. Think you'll like the game if you like Zelda!
LeT's PlAy BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

The_Fox

komicturtle92 wrote:

Nintendo of America gave us an generous $100 discount from the price it was SUPPOSED to be.

Ha! They didn't lower the price to be generous, bud.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

koryz12

zeeroid wrote:

The problem isn't necessarily that the 3DS isn't worth what it offers. Rather, it seems like a worse deal when compared with many of the other gaming devices out there. Both the Wii and the cheapest Xbox 360 cost significantly less than a 3DS right now. Even the PSP, whose horsepower is about on par with the 3DS, costs half as much. Only the PS3 costs more, and then just slightly. Even the current model iPod Touch costs a bit less. With all these other options, as well as the promise of a new Sony handheld which looks to be about the hottest piece of tech around (and Sony will almost certainly take a loss on the hardware, unlike Nintendo), you have to question whether you really need to pay a whole $250 for the 3DS.

Ultimately, it will come down to software, as those above me have stated. I'm buying it now because I have faith that the quality software will come and provide the value we're looking for. Others who are less hopeful may be better off waiting a while. Except for a certain pre-order bonus, I likely would have waited too.

The wii and xbox will have been superceeded years before the 3ds is and its more powerfull than a psp which has a 333mhz processor 222mhz if its a base model.The 3ds on the other hand has two cores at 266mhz and a gpu at 133mhz one core alone runs faster than a psp game does as all games are programmed to work on a psp 1000 so all games when played on psp 2000,3000 only benefit from loading times but do not have any graphical benefits over a psp 1000 so you have to use the 222mhz psp cpu speed. so it really is 532Mhz cpu + 133 gpu vs 222mhz quite the difference. I don't see the point of waiting 2 years for a price cut as you will may feel a bit short charged in terms of lifespan but it depends on how the person feels about having the last gen tech.

Checkout my gaming channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/koryz12
Nintendo direct wii u review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawsdGO-Jao

BAZ1307

It's very very cheap IMHO.

To put things into perspective, I payed £224.99 for my PSPgo, which for those not in the know, boasts a smaller screen than the standard PSP, does not include the physical media drive of the older PSP, and you're stuck with buying downloable games which cost almost 3 times as much as they do in some stores.

Though you see, I used the PSPgo everyday and took it everywhere with me. I used it for music quite literally on the go and streamed music over Bluetooth to my home theatre, I used it to check my emails, to read my friends' latest activity on Facebook, and last but not least, to play games. This, to me, made it worth the high price I had to pay for the console.

I know fine well it's going to be a similar story with the 3DS, especially with all the features the console includes.
So you see, the 3DS is not the most expensive handheld I will have bought, and this is the only one that includes a 3D screen as well as 3 cameras, a gyroscope and accelerometer, an included SD card, lots of built-in software and more...

Take that, anti-3DS people.

Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS. Ridge Racer 3D.
Ask for my 3DS friend code if you would like an add. :)
PSN ID: BAZ1307
XBL: baz1307

TheLZdragon

I think I'll give an honest opinion once I try it out for myself. I am noticing a lot of bad criticism stemming from speculation only.

I'll get back to this next week

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon Rank: S
Fates Castle ID: 15449-70849-36123-61987 (Revelation)
Smash characters: Yoshi, Shulk, and Corrin

My Eeveeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

andyutd97

I dont care how much it is. 3DS is awesome Must Buy. Its too close

andyutd97

Hokori

3DS too much more like not enough

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of...

Magi

koryz wrote:

I played it on sunday and preordered it on the same day.

I've got the opposite problem. I preordered a pair of them and actually had the "cancel order" screen up on Amazon today. After having played it, read several reviews, and been utterly disappointed with the release games and lack of basic DSi functionality (albeit fixed with a future patch), I think I'm ready to cancel. The only thing stopping me is the possibility of making a few bucks on reselling but I'm not even optimistic about that at the moment.

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

koryz12

Well its your money and choice I played pilot wings what did you play.

Edited on by koryz12

Checkout my gaming channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/koryz12
Nintendo direct wii u review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawsdGO-Jao

Magi

koryz wrote:

Well its your money and choice I played pilot wings what did you play.

Same thing.

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

TeeJay

Magi wrote:

koryz wrote:

I played it on sunday and preordered it on the same day.

I've got the opposite problem. I preordered a pair of them and actually had the "cancel order" screen up on Amazon today. After having played it, read several reviews, and been utterly disappointed with the release games and lack of basic DSi functionality (albeit fixed with a future patch), I think I'm ready to cancel. The only thing stopping me is the possibility of making a few bucks on reselling but I'm not even optimistic about that at the moment.

It's hard to believe there are people out there who can say they were utterly dissapointed the the 3DS. Amazing. I must study this strange phenomenon further.
Adjusts monocle

Nintendo ID: TeeJay92

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519

Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Magi

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily DISAPPOINTED with the 3DS itself (release games yes). I just don't think it's a smart buy for me at this moment in time. When better games are released and all of the functionality is finally there (patched in, etc), then it's definately something I will give much more consideration. As it is currently, meh...

Edited on by Magi

Currently own: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, iPad, PC's, WP7 Phone and a Vita. Who you callin' a fanboy?!
"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker

R-L-A-George

deegan714 wrote:

I'm buying it for $200.00, since my mon is paying $50.00, because I couldn't turn in my bro's DS Lite.

My family is paying $100, I pay for the game and I payed for it with $150 worth of trades...

R-L-A-George

Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic