3DS Forum

Topic: Is there a way to video chat on 3ds?

Showing 21 to 40 of 42

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chris720

21. Posted:

The 3DS has the needed hardware capabilities for video and voice chat to work but no one has really bothered to use those hardware capabilities yet. There is Heroes of Ruins voice chat which worked... uhm... I'll leave that there.

Maybe one day Nintendo will release a video/voice/IM chat for the 3DS. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

By the way, why don't they use their smartphones? Literally every phone with a front facing camera can do video chat... and you can find them for peanuts if you shop around.

Edited on by Chris720

This thread beats all other threads
My Unfinishedloggery of Games | Google+

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0642-9960 | Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter: Jirachi720

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

22. Posted:

3DS camera is terrible so the image quality would suck why not use skype.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheLilK98

23. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

3DS camera is terrible so the image quality would suck why not use skype.

Because the 3DS doesn't have skype. I don't think you're getting the point here. I agree that the quality would be terrible, but this has nothing to do with phones or computers.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter: TheKman98

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

24. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

3DS camera is terrible so the image quality would suck why not use skype.

most webcams suck too but nobody complains... :p what the world needs is this
Untitled

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

25. Posted:

@TheLilk98 did I say Skype on 3DS no I obviously meant a device like a laptop or smart phone.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheLilK98

26. Posted:

@Jazzer94 and obviously, as I said, this conversation isn't about laptops and smartphones.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter: TheKman98

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

27. Posted:

@TheLilk98 I'm just trying to point out that this problem can be solved using a range of devices that most people have access to sorry if I came across annoyed.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

28. Posted:

I don't have a cellphone of any type, my laptop has no camera, and I have a 3DS. It must be nice being extremely rich and owning a hundred portable and bleeding edge devices, not everyone is. Even then, imagine how hard it would be to get, record, and maintain all the friends I message on the 3DS regularly, I can't even keep track of my email friends' email addresses.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

29. Posted:

@KittenKoder Never heard of a bleeding edge device must be really cutting edge.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

30. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

@KittenKoder Never heard of a bleeding edge device must be really cutting edge.

LOL

In case you don't know, "cutting edge" is old "bleeding edge" tech, bleeding edge is like first day releases.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

31. Posted:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

3DS camera is terrible so the image quality would suck why not use skype.

most webcams suck too but nobody complains... :p what the world needs is this
Untitled

People always complain about the tech they don't like, even if their preferred tech is no better or worse. We can create terabyte hard drives, but can't make a decent webcam.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

32. Posted:

@KittenKoder I think its more fact that the 3DS cameras are bad and not a complaint I personally don't mind them as they do there job.
Oh and my last comment was a joke I know what bleeding edge tech is. :)

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

33. Posted:

I like the 3DS cameras they get the job done. I'm a person that almost never uses cameras....

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ramstrong

34. Posted:

KittenKoder wrote:

I don't have a cellphone of any type, my laptop has no camera, and I have a 3DS. It must be nice being extremely rich and owning a hundred portable and bleeding edge devices, not everyone is. Even then, imagine how hard it would be to get, record, and maintain all the friends I message on the 3DS regularly, I can't even keep track of my email friends' email addresses.

You don't have a cellphone of any type? I thought cellphone would come first before 3DS. What kind of laptop doesn't have camera? Even my old win98 laptop has a (cheap $10) webcam on it.

I would love to see video chat goes up to WiiU. But Pokemon B&W does have up to 4 video chat screen. Extremely laggy, but possible. Not that I'll be using it much. My monthly bandwidth allocation is only 5 Gig, and I'll be using it to download stuff, not video watching/chatting.

3DS camera is just fine. I use it on my blog all the time, and no one has complained about it yet. Of course, my bad lighting is pretty atrocious, and no one complained about that either. ;) Speaking of which, is anybody doing micro photography with it? It can take extremely close up pictures!

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

35. Posted:

@ramstrong: I'm in exactly the same situation as @KittenKoder: No phone, and my laptop has no webcam. ;)

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

36. Posted:

ramstrong wrote:

KittenKoder wrote:

I don't have a cellphone of any type, my laptop has no camera, and I have a 3DS. It must be nice being extremely rich and owning a hundred portable and bleeding edge devices, not everyone is. Even then, imagine how hard it would be to get, record, and maintain all the friends I message on the 3DS regularly, I can't even keep track of my email friends' email addresses.

You don't have a cellphone of any type? I thought cellphone would come first before 3DS. What kind of laptop doesn't have camera? Even my old win98 laptop has a (cheap $10) webcam on it.

I would love to see video chat goes up to WiiU. But Pokemon B&W does have up to 4 video chat screen. Extremely laggy, but possible. Not that I'll be using it much. My monthly bandwidth allocation is only 5 Gig, and I'll be using it to download stuff, not video watching/chatting.

3DS camera is just fine. I use it on my blog all the time, and no one has complained about it yet. Of course, my bad lighting is pretty atrocious, and no one complained about that either. ;) Speaking of which, is anybody doing micro photography with it? It can take extremely close up pictures!

First, I hate cellphones, not the phone but the fact that I don't need it, voice chat is so 1980 anyway. So it would be a waste of money, if I had it, but I have medical expenses, and lots of them, to cover, so I don't have the money anyway, and what good is a cellphone without service? Also, cheap webcams are even worse than a 3DS camera, seriously, a camera here that's on par with the 3DS would cost about $100. Email is all I need for online communication, forums are fun, and a 3DS video chat would make it much easier to talk to 3DS friends, even if I had a cell, or that stupid voip stuff, it's too complicated to deal with remember who my 3DS friends are and which ones don't mind being called out of the blue anyway. Essentially, the nay-sayers are ignoring a lot of possible reasons such an app on the 3DS would be much better for some people, that was my point in the beginning.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

37. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

@KittenKoder I think its more fact that the 3DS cameras are bad and not a complaint I personally don't mind them as they do there job.
Oh and my last comment was a joke I know what bleeding edge tech is. :)

Whew, had me worried a bit there. :P

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ramstrong

38. Posted:

KittenKoder wrote:

voice chat is so 1980 anyway.(snip)Also, cheap webcams are even worse than a 3DS camera, seriously, a camera here that's on par with the 3DS would cost about $100.

Wow, those are fighting words. A lot of my computer owning friends would disagree with you. Although I rarely voice chat, sometimes, there's just no substitute. Especially when you travel a lot. Also good to check out goodies at the store.

I just bought HP HD 2200 webcam that is definitely better than 3DS camera for $10 (it was on sale). Even top of the line 30fps 1080 camera module for Raspi is only about $30-$40 dollars. So, $100 price is definitely worst case scenario.

Gioku wrote:

@ramstrong: I'm in exactly the same situation as @KittenKoder: No phone, and my laptop has no webcam. ;)

That's perfectly understandable if you're a kid. A working adult, however, need a phone, and cell phone is preferred over landline. They're taking out public phone installations already, so if you go places, you definitely need a cell phone, preferably one that let's you do email and surf the web. Or at least act as a wifi spot for your computer/N3DS.

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KittenKoder

39. Posted:

ramstrong wrote:

KittenKoder wrote:

voice chat is so 1980 anyway.(snip)Also, cheap webcams are even worse than a 3DS camera, seriously, a camera here that's on par with the 3DS would cost about $100.

Wow, those are fighting words. A lot of my computer owning friends would disagree with you. Although I rarely voice chat, sometimes, there's just no substitute. Especially when you travel a lot. Also good to check out goodies at the store.

I just bought HP HD 2200 webcam that is definitely better than 3DS camera for $10 (it was on sale). Even top of the line 30fps 1080 camera module for Raspi is only about $30-$40 dollars. So, $100 price is definitely worst case scenario.

Yeah, um, you don't live in Seattle with a budget of about $100 a month to spend on stuff that's not needed. Not to mention, the speed which a camera can record is also dependent on the computer, a lot of parts in the computer actually, thus meaning it would also require a high-end computer, which is not cheap, especially in Seattle. I had to go without a lot for several months to get my 3DS in time to get Pokemon Y on the day of release. Fun fact, stores here will sell you a 20 year old laptop for $300, used.

Friend list is full, I will be clearing room for Bravely Default soon though. Colors! 3D Gallery, My Blog
NNID: KittenKoder ..... what else would it be?

3DS Friend Code: 3497-0224-3414 | Nintendo Network ID: KittenKoder | Twitter: KittenKoder

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ramstrong

40. Posted:

KittenKoder wrote:

Yeah, um, you don't live in Seattle with a budget of about $100 a month to spend on stuff that's not needed. (snip)
Fun fact, stores here will sell you a 20 year old laptop for $300, used.

Well, that's true. How about you work at home? You sound like a smart person. Get something going to get you income so that you don't have to settle for $100/month.

Just because the store sells expensive junk, doesn't mean you have to buy it from them. There are other resources.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855