Forums

Topic: DS vs 3DS

Posts 101 to 113 of 113

I-U

3Dash wrote:

...and Kid Icarus: Uprising comes together great.

How does Kid Icarus Uprising come together great?

3Dash wrote:

(I am 99.9% sure you don't have all the achievements, or have 10,000+ online KOs, or have tried fusing a great weapon),

One of the achievements forces the player to have played the game for 100 hours, so no, I haven't gotten all the achievements. I have only bothered doing a 9.0 intensity for Chapter 1, as I'm not too comfortable with the game's desire to slide the reticle when Pit turns to take on any of the others. I don't care for online experiences much at all, so 10,000+ online KOs isn't going to happen. If that's an achievement, I'm screwed. "Great weapon" is relative. I have fused a great weapon for going through most of the single player at around 4.0-5.0 intensities.

3Dash wrote:

Uprising is a skill game

Who said it wasn't? I don't think it takes as much skill as speedrunning Hunters and dominating matches, but KIU does involve some degree of skill.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

GuardianKing

In one corner: A system that is almost 7 years old and has now outranked the PS2 as the bestselling video-game console ever

Versus

In the other corner: A system that has just started taking roots and is still far too young to be properly judged

Fair? Not really. Will people keep doing this comparison? Yep.

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

moomoo

I-U wrote:

3Dash wrote:

Uprising is a skill game

Who said it wasn't? I don't think it takes as much skill as speedrunning Hunters and dominating matches, but KIU does involve some degree of skill.

I'd refrain from the amount of judgement towards the difficulty on KI:U until you try playing the later levels on the higher difficulties. I've done Hunters speedruns (I can only get in about under 3 hours, so I'm not amazing, but somewhat decent) and KI:U playthroughs, and I can tell you right now that KI:U requires more skill. The finese for that game that is demanded of the player is pretty crazy when you go into the double digit levels and play on 9.0. Not only that, but in order for that to even count, you have to not die. At all. Which takes a lot more time to accomplish then to play through Metroid Prime Hunters in an afternoon.

EDIT: Just for the sake of clarification, my best run through Metroid Prime Hunters was at two hours and 28 minutes. So I guess I was generous. Still not great when compared to the faster times, though.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

rayword45

I-U wrote:

3Dash wrote:

...and Kid Icarus: Uprising comes together great.

How does Kid Icarus Uprising come together great?

How does it not? The gameplay is amazing, the graphics/art direction is astounding, the soundtrack works amazingly, and the dialogue is hilarious.Via the chapters, the game manages to maintain a cohesive plot without ever feeling overextended (except possibly Chapter 19).

If we're talking about atmosphere, that's highly subjective. I'd say KIU beats MPH by FAR. Some of the levels felt really unique in KIU (See: Ring of Chaos) and nothing in MPH was a wow compared to the console titles.

Chrysalis wrote:

In one corner: A system that is almost 7 years old and has now outranked the PS2 as the bestselling video-game console ever
Versus
In the other corner: A system that has just started taking roots and is still far too young to be properly judged

You think this thread is bad? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111127160919AAe...

Keep looking on Yahoo Answers. "dsi because it has alot of things and allls 3Ds hav is three dee"

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

MarioKenny1992

I really should play Kid Icarus Uprising more often... I wanna get a 3DS XL first though because the original 3DS really digs into my palm when I play it

"I almost feel sorry for you knowing you can't enjoy Call of Duty, and that your taste in video games is so ****. But the fact that you don't like call of duty makes me fell zero simpathy for u." - MonkeyGameGuides, also known as Monk Monk

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1302-5737 | Nintendo Network ID: SuperMarioKenny

I-U

moomoo wrote:

I'd refrain from the amount of judgement towards the difficulty on KI:U until you try playing the later levels on the higher difficulties. I've done Hunters speedruns (I can only get in about under 3 hours, so I'm not amazing, but somewhat decent) and KI:U playthroughs, and I can tell you right now that KI:U requires more skill.

I would refrain from judging the skill that goes into speedrunning Metroid Prime Hunters until you start getting sub-1 hour 30 minute runs. Not to mention, getting times for 100% completion in Hunters that are sub-1 hour 50 minutes. I've done it at 1 hour 38 minutes.
Untitled

moomoo wrote:

Which takes a lot more time to accomplish then to play through Metroid Prime Hunters in an afternoon.

I didn't get to my fastest times and my current average completion times "in an afternoon." It took many months to get things right to accomplish those times, and another thing, I try my best not to die on a speedrun. Most of my runs through the game are no death, and they're all much faster times than under 3 hours/above 2 hours.

EDIT:

rayword45 wrote:

How does it not? The gameplay is amazing, the graphics/art direction is astounding, the soundtrack works amazingly, and the dialogue is hilarious.Via the chapters, the game manages to maintain a cohesive plot without ever feeling overextended (except possibly Chapter 19).

Look what you did, you separated the aspects of the game rather than to evaluate their impacts on each other. To me, the voice acting and music compete against each other, and the voice acting wins most of the time. The voice acting itself prevents me from getting really immersed into the game because they often go completely off track in dialogue and there are only rare occurances when the characters shut up. Gameplay hardly ever varies, but works great for the air segments. It's not amazing to me because it has the same feel chapter to chapter, just add in more difficult enemies and new visuals. Visually and in art direction, I do agree with you and that's the only area I agree with you. Now how does it come together well?

rayword45 wrote:

I'd say KIU beats MPH by FAR. Some of the levels felt really unique in KIU (See: Ring of Chaos) and nothing in MPH was a wow compared to the console titles.

Feeling really unique isn't my definition of atmopshere, but rather the feeling a setting gives off when its aspects are combined. These range from music down to enemy type and number. Uprising has a sense of atmosphere, but with its voice acting and how it hardly did anything special with individual rooms, it is no where near as incredible as Hunters in that department. As for comparing MPH to Retro's Primes, it's the togetherness of Metroid Prime Hunters that impresses me far more than anything else in the current Metroid Series. Aside from that, it nailed other design choices that the other Primes didn't, such as having a fixed save point and quick travel via portals.

Edited on by I-U

rayword45

Speedrunning I don't consider more content, cause you can do that with any game. You can easily beat Ocarina of Time in about 20 minutes (not 3DS). I could speedrun each level of KI:U and accumulate that.

Edited on by rayword45

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

I-U

rayword45 wrote:

Speedrunning I don't consider more content, cause you can do that with any game. You can easily beat Ocarina of Time in about 20 minutes (not 3DS). I could speedrun each level of KI:U and accumulate that.

We were discussing how much skill goes towards speedrunning Hunters and doing 9.0 intensities in Uprising.

Edited on by I-U

GuardianKing

rayword45 wrote:

Chrysalis wrote:

Versus

You think this thread is bad? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111127160919AAe...

Keep looking on Yahoo Answers. "dsi because it has alot of things and allls 3Ds hav is three dee"

/thread.

At least the people here are edumacated.

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter:

ThePirateCaptain

Well this thread quickly fell into a Metroid Prime Hunters vs Kid Icarus: Uprising mess.
Kid Icarus is better

On topic, I don't think you can really compare two systems like this fairly until the 3DS reaches the end of its lifespan. They both have fantastic games and I feel the 3DS could have an even better library than the DS, but we shall wait and see.

Edited on by ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

e-love

The 3DS definitely has potential to be a better system than the DS, but that's all subject to what games we get later down the system's lifespan. The DS had incredibly creative and experimental games, given the new touch and dual-screen gameplay mechanic first introduced with it.

Nintendo really can't ride on the 3D aspect that much. What they should take advantage of, is the increased power and capability of the 3DS over the DS, which opens up a lot of possibilities for certain games that haven't been on handhelds before; such as Super Smash Bros.

Although, nearly 2 years into it, I can say I like the 3DS better at this point than I did when I had the DS in its first couple years. Of course, many argue the DS didn't really hit its greatest moments of variety until 2007-2010.

Only time will tell.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

SCRAPPER392

I still like the DS experience better(at the time compared to now for 3DS), because it was alot newer of a concept. 3DS just added specs from DS pretty much. 3D, constant wi-fi, circle pad, better audio/visuals, and 3 cameras are great, but DS was way better at the time than 3DS is now IMO. At this point, I'd say it's safe to just add better specs, free/paid but cheap 4G/wi-fi, HD screens, better MP for the cameras, maybe some better motion controls inside, multilayered screens for better 3D effects, louder speakers, better expandable memory, and other 'must have' apps that could define 3DS. The problem with this, is that it would drive up the cost ALOT. I agree with adding more features for a next handheld that aren't yet present, but they could improve on what they have already, to make the consumer happy, and still make money as long as it's cheap. If Nintendo gave free 4G service for a 3DS HD, along with PC equivalent apps/software, people would wait in line just like the Wii. All devices are moving torwards that all-in-one motive, so I could see this happening as long as it's affordable in the future.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

HAZZARD

i cant see ds beating 3ds.because most ds games lacked graphics.but the 3ds has the ability to have graphics as good as gamecube.

HAZZARD

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.