Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime Federation Force (and Blast Ball)

Posts 21 to 40 of 955

Bolt_Strike

Contrary to what most people are saying, I suspect this game is actually a sign that main series Metroid is on the horizon, not that they took development time away from them to make this. This game has a "here's something to tide you over until the next main game" vibe going on, it doesn't seem like it took them a lot of time to work on and it's rare that Nintendo makes a spinoff game like this and don't end up releasing a main game soon after.

Between this and the Super Metroid speedrun it definitely feels like they're trying to hype people up for Metroid.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

iKhan

I don't understand why people are so underwhelmed by this game. People are saying the same kinds of things that were being leveled against Splatoon last year.

"I don't think it's a full game"
"It's not $60 fun".

They literally just unveiled the core gameplay idea, give them some time to expand upon it.

As for this previously being Metroid or being bundled into Metroid, no. Aside from the combat interface, it doesn't really look like Metroid's core gameplay. Just as with Project Guard and Giant Robot, Nintendo advertised it as a new game. They aren't just going to downgrade them to a mode in a different game.

There is plenty they can expand on to make Blast Ball a full $40 3DS game. And I hope they do. It looks really fun, even though it's 1st person.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

Bolt_Strike

iKhan wrote:

As for this previously being Metroid or being bundled into Metroid, no. Aside from the combat interface, it doesn't really look like Metroid's core gameplay. Just as with Project Guard and Giant Robot, Nintendo advertised it as a new game. They aren't just going to downgrade them to a mode in a different game.

Option 3: It's a spinoff. The gameplay is different, but it definitely fits within the Metroid universe and retain many of the same elements.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Joeynator3000

iKhan wrote:

I don't understand why people are so underwhelmed by this game. People are saying the same kinds of things that were being leveled against Splatoon last year.

"I don't think it's a full game"
"It's not $60 fun".

They literally just unveiled the core gameplay idea, give them some time to expand upon it.

As for this previously being Metroid or being bundled into Metroid, no. Aside from the combat interface, it doesn't really look like Metroid's core gameplay. Just as with Project Guard and Giant Robot, Nintendo advertised it as a new game. They aren't just going to downgrade them to a mode in a different game.

There is plenty they can expand on to make Blast Ball a full $40 3DS game. And I hope they do. It looks really fun, even though it's 1st person.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure we're getting a trailer during the digital event, showing off more of the game. People jump to conclusions all the time.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

Araquanid

The title Blast "Ball" discourages me from the game... I really hope there is more to this game besides just playing sports.. I would like a gamemode with some kind of elimination or PvP kill goal like halo.. otherwise the game will be pretty stale.

@iKhan, arguably, splatoon might be exactly those things. Splatoon is alright, but for me, it kinda just bored me out after awhile. I can play maybe a couple games before deciding to move onto something else. It's a good multiplayer experience for the wii u, but it isn't nintendo's CoD like I keep hearing people calling it.

Also it looks EXACTLY like metroid's core gameplay.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Everything from the visor shape, the text font, etc looks directly ripped from the games with some minor recolor and texture. The gameplay with charging your beam, and rapid firing it exactly how metroid plays. Again, the only difference here is you're playing soccer, not fighting alien enetities.. which is the sad thing as blast ball has so much potential.. but the fact it's blast "ball" makes it seem very much like it's going to only be sports oriented.

Anyway, I cannot wait for the direct. I really am intrigued with this game, idk if it's because metroid has me really hyped atm.. as like @bolt_strike said, nintendo really seemed to be pushing the metroid theme at the championships, so we'll just have to see what exactly this game is and if it is the only thing we're getting.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

-Green-

@MegaBeedrill

A large majority of people simply adore Splatoon. Whether you find it to be Nintendo's version of COD or not, I'm sure a majority of people would argue in favor of Splatoon, and just based on current following, Splatoon could potentially be a "CoD" for Nintendo. Although to be fair, Splatoon just like any game, isn't for everyone, and after all it is just your opinion, so I can't blame you for it.

Based on my experience with online shooters, I find most of them to be incredibly repetitive, but I do find Splatoon to be a tad bit of refreshing take on an otherwise dull genre. Which is probably a major reason people love it as much as they do. After all, there is no harm in others wanting it to be a major success and remaining relevant.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

kkslider5552000

The main thing I get from this game is that we're probably not getting a new Mario Strikers.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

GrailUK

I don't think we have heard the last of this game. I mocked it last night but only because as a game in it's on right there doesn't look much to hang your hat on (and Mario Maker stole it's thunder for me.).

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

KryptoniteKrunch

I don't understand some people's automatic disregard for new IPs. Anyway, I need to see more to be excited, but I'm definitely intrigued thus far..

Now playing: Crash N' Sane Trilogy, Dark Souls Remastered

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

NinChocolate

The problem for me is that you're shooting at a big ball all the time. And the ball doesn't move that much like tug o war. Seems like a waste of Metroid asthetics and FPS gameplay. Especially since 3DS has no FPS's. If there's more to the game then I'm hyped cause it looks nice, but I dunno about this one as I'll feel Hunters was much more involved

NinChocolate

iKhan

MegaBeedrill wrote:

The title Blast "Ball" discourages me from the game... I really hope there is more to this game besides just playing sports.. I would like a gamemode with some kind of elimination or PvP kill goal like halo.. otherwise the game will be pretty stale.

@iKhan, arguably, splatoon might be exactly those things. Splatoon is alright, but for me, it kinda just bored me out after awhile. I can play maybe a couple games before deciding to move onto something else. It's a good multiplayer experience for the wii u, but it isn't nintendo's CoD like I keep hearing people calling it.

Also it looks EXACTLY like metroid's core gameplay.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Everything from the visor shape, the text font, etc looks directly ripped from the games with some minor recolor and texture. The gameplay with charging your beam, and rapid firing it exactly how metroid plays. Again, the only difference here is you're playing soccer, not fighting alien enetities.. which is the sad thing as blast ball has so much potential.. but the fact it's blast "ball" makes it seem very much like it's going to only be sports oriented.

Anyway, I cannot wait for the direct. I really am intrigued with this game, idk if it's because metroid has me really hyped atm.. as like @bolt_strike said, nintendo really seemed to be pushing the metroid theme at the championships, so we'll just have to see what exactly this game is and if it is the only thing we're getting.

I think the sports oriented nature looks awesome. Think about it. Nintendo created an original sport.

When I said it didn't look like Metroids core gameplay, I meant there didn't seem to be any adventure focus whatsoever. It looks like they borrowed Metroids combat for an original sports game.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

PikPi

To be fair, I believe I remember Miyamoto specifically talking about maybe integrating Project Guard into StarFox last year. So it's not out of the question. And considering it is a 3DS game, it's not worth $60 at all. If anything it'd be $40 at most, though right now it looks like it should be an eShop only title. But hey maybe there's some intricate deep game in there. But then again I thought that about Splatoon and it didn't end up being worth $60 for me at launch.

But on the bright side, new IPs are always a great thing, so I look forward to see what they do with this one

PikPi

Bolt_Strike

iKhan wrote:

I think the sports oriented nature looks awesome. Think about it. Nintendo created an original sport.

When I said it didn't look like Metroids core gameplay, I meant there didn't seem to be any adventure focus whatsoever. It looks like they borrowed Metroids combat for an original sports game.

Right. A spinoff.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Joeynator3000

Bolt_Strike wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think the sports oriented nature looks awesome. Think about it. Nintendo created an original sport.

When I said it didn't look like Metroids core gameplay, I meant there didn't seem to be any adventure focus whatsoever. It looks like they borrowed Metroids combat for an original sports game.

Right. A spinoff.

...It's a spinoff just because it has the charge blast thing? Really?...

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

Araquanid

Megumi wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think the sports oriented nature looks awesome. Think about it. Nintendo created an original sport.

When I said it didn't look like Metroids core gameplay, I meant there didn't seem to be any adventure focus whatsoever. It looks like they borrowed Metroids combat for an original sports game.

Right. A spinoff.

...It's a spinoff just because it has the charge blast thing? Really?...

It's a spinoff because it's developed with metroid's gameplay, but yet it isn't metroid. (Kinda like metroid prime pinball is a spinoff)

Speaking of metroid prime pinball... maybe that will have some association?

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Megumi wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think the sports oriented nature looks awesome. Think about it. Nintendo created an original sport.

When I said it didn't look like Metroids core gameplay, I meant there didn't seem to be any adventure focus whatsoever. It looks like they borrowed Metroids combat for an original sports game.

Right. A spinoff.

...It's a spinoff just because it has the charge blast thing? Really?...

Mario does the same thing with its spinoffs, they take Mario gameplay and apply it to an entirely new genre. That's what's going on here, we're seeing Metroid's gameplay used for a soccer game.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

I really don't see how this looks like a Metroid game. It looks like it might be using some Hunters tech, but other than that I don't see how it could be a Metroid Spin-Off.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Joeynator3000

...I still don't get it...people have done FPS games with the charge thing and scifi before, even on PC and other non-Nintendo systems. I'm guessing those are Metroid spinoffs as well?

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/joeynator3001

Araquanid

Megumi wrote:

...I still don't get it...people have done FPS games with the charge thing and scifi before, even on PC and other non-Nintendo systems. I'm guessing those are Metroid spinoffs as well?

Name some games that have lock-on, charging, sci-fi, and literal copy and paste font and a copy and paste visor/helmet, and copy and paste sound effects from metroid games, all in one game.

[Insert list of all FPS Metroid titles]

It's definitely considered a spin off if the same developer reuses the same mechanics and the same gameplay... or incoorperates themes from the franchise (metroid prime pinball for example would be new gameplay without changing the setting).

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Storytime7

MegaBeedrill wrote:

It's definitely considered a spin off if the same developer reuses the same mechanics and the same gameplay... or incoorperates themes from the franchise (metroid prime pinball for example would be new gameplay without changing the setting).

Rhythm Heaven is not a WarioWare spin-off, and this game is not a Metroid spin-off. If it doesn't take place in the Metroid universe, then it's not a spin-off.

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic