3DS Forum

Topic: 3DSware Size limit

Showing 61 to 80 of 84

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GameInfinite

61. Posted:

metakirbyknight wrote:

Oregano wrote:

metakirbyknight wrote:

I don't really think space is of much concern to Ninty. * compares DSi to iPod touch and crys *

The specs are absolutely important but there's different priorities, Nintendo likes super efficient designs above all else and when it comes to the design of games everything is seamless. The 3DS seems to be close to the Gamecube in design philosophy with them trying to get as much power as possible as easily as possible. Most third parties seem to be happy with the specs though and they obviously know more than us!( and a lot are using PS3/360 assets!)

Hmm that's an interesting question when it comes to downloads.... Nintendo has clearly prioritised the ability to use HD assets for third parties and in some cases the developers are managing straight ports so I wonder if they're try to prioritise ease of porting downloadable titles too? I'm not too sure about that one but it could certainly be interesting.

EDIT: Totally misread your post(stupidly) but I think that's still a good point I mentioned.

LOL.

I totally agree with you. Nintendo wants 3DS games to look great, just like they wanted DS games to look great. But go look at DSiWare and WiiWare, how many look as good as retail games? It's because of the size limit and Ninty's non-caring. Not saying I like it, but it's the way it is.

560 gb might be awesome and enough

Unlocked everything for Smash 3DS!
NNID:CokeAlign
Brawl FC: 0603-7408-2907

AuthorMessage
Avatar

metakirbyknight

62. Posted:

Oregano wrote:

metakirbyknight wrote:

I totally agree with you. Nintendo wants 3DS games to look great, just like they wanted DS games to look great. But go look at DSiWare and WiiWare, how many look as good as retail games? It's because of the size limit and Ninty's non-caring. Not saying I like it, but it's the way it is.

That's not true at all, some Wiiware games put retail Wii games to shame(Jett Rocket, Lost Winds) and DSiware games are actually better looking on average due to the fact that they have more RAM and CPU power to work with. For the most simple example the monster models in Dragon Quest Wars are of higher quality than in DQIX or DQM: Joker and DQ Wars was developed by Nintendo. Considering the amount of DSiware games Nintendo has put out it's really unfair to say they don't care because

Size limit doesn't chage how the games can look, but fundamentally what type of games they can be. Wiiware and DSiware are supposed to be bite-sized games and also predominately indie games(much more so than on PSN and XBL, but not as much XBLIG and the App Store). But that's not important now, what's important now is what strategy Nintendo take with the 3DS.

I guess you're right.

What I was trying to get at is something like My Pokemon Ranch vs. Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Stalk me on my Twitter.
Proud Homebrewer.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GameInfinite

63. Posted:

Oh.

Unlocked everything for Smash 3DS!
NNID:CokeAlign
Brawl FC: 0603-7408-2907

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

64. Posted:

metakirbyknight wrote:

I guess you're right.

What I was trying to get at is something like My Pokemon Ranch vs. Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Yeh, I don't think that is because of size limit. I think in that specific case it's a matter of aesthetic choice(and a much lower budget too). Again though it depends whether Nintendo wants "full" games on 3DSware, they definitely might consider it if it means getting ports and also if they look at the fact that it's games like Shantae and Jett Rocket are very popular.

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

metakirbyknight

65. Posted:

Oregano wrote:

metakirbyknight wrote:

I guess you're right.

What I was trying to get at is something like My Pokemon Ranch vs. Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Yeh, I don't think that is because of size limit. I think in that specific case it's a matter of aesthetic choice(and a much lower budget too). Again though it depends whether Nintendo wants "full" games on 3DSware, they definitely might consider it if it means getting ports and also if they look at the fact that it's games like Shantae and Jett Rocket are very popular.

Nintendo doesn't want huge, rich games to be downloadable.

Stalk me on my Twitter.
Proud Homebrewer.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

66. Posted:

metakirbyknight wrote:

Nintendo doesn't want huge, rich games to be downloadable.

Well not ideally but in the case of Shantae and Jett Rocket they couldn't find publishers for a retail version(and it wouldn't be worth it for Nintendo to do it themselves) so they're best off profiting off them on the download store than not at all. Ports are also important of course, Nintendo wants as many games as possible, as many ways as possible so it they have it well suited for ports then that's more money for them.

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

metakirbyknight

67. Posted:

Oregano wrote:

metakirbyknight wrote:

Nintendo doesn't want huge, rich games to be downloadable.

Well not ideally but in the case of Shantae and Jett Rocket they couldn't find publishers for a retail version(and it wouldn't be worth it for Nintendo to do it themselves) so they're best off profiting off them on the download store than not at all. Ports are also important of course, Nintendo wants as many games as possible, as many ways as possible so it they have it well suited for ports then that's more money for them.

True.

Stalk me on my Twitter.
Proud Homebrewer.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WesFX

68. Posted:

I would appreciate it if they opened up size limit so that the 3DSWare Shop could support games as big as DS games, games with concepts which might not do well at full retail anymore with room enough that they didn't have to be stripped down so much. But at the same time, I think Nintendo is very consciously considering game sizes and wants to keep the limit small so that the competition doesn't have such a wide value range as to create a Shadow Complex level game vs. a Bit.Trip BEAT level game, if you get my meaning.

For the "vs. App Store" situation, the App Store devices don't have any other means to play games on them besides downloading them. 3DS obviously does have another means, so I don't think there is any comparison to be made there. While I hope that Nintendo doesn't push 3DSWare as an App Store competitor (I for one don't think Nintendo would have a chance), I would appreciate getting more app like software for 3DS, such as things that use the 3D cameras, gyroscopes, microphone, and 3D screen for amusing, but non-gaming purposes.

If it wasn't corrected later, gatygun is very wrong about the 2GB SD card support on Wii. It was updated, and it does support much bigger SD cards. I don't know the exact limit, likely the 32 GB, but it was updated on a software level.

On the subject of increasing the max later, for WiiWare, it still had to run off of Wii's internal space and it seems they can't do it any other way. After you get all your channels (News, Weather, Check Mii Out, Internet, Netflix, Mii, Photo, Nintendo, Wii Speak, Wii Fit, Everybody Votes, and Wii Shop) and after you have some game saves, there really isn't a lot of room left on the internal storage. And I think it's cruel for Nintendo to just expect for every customer to constantly move channels around just to play a downloaded game. It seems 3DS does work different, and shouldn't have this problem, so I wouldn't completely rule out a max file-size increase later if developers clamored for it.

Also, a few notes. The 2GB SD card has only been confirmed for the Japanese system bundle. It might be bigger here (because WiiWare is less popular in Japan). There might be no SD card in the U.S. and European versions at all....
40 MB max for WiiWare is always what I've heard, infact Team Meat very explicitly said they were trying to get the game into 39 MB (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Z3fSPlq08rkJ:gonintendo.com/viewstory.php%3Fid%3D140994+super+meat+boy+not+coming+out+in+november&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us). Why not 42, 41, or 40? I'm thinking it's because the limit is a certain number of blocks that is not quite 40 MB.
On the subject of interpolating numbers to guess at the 3DSWare size limit, you might look at max and/or average retail game size vs. the downloadable service max, and not just for Nintendo's systems.

WesFX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HolyMackerel

69. Posted:

metakirbyknight wrote:

Nintendo doesn't want huge, rich games to be downloadable.

This is precisely the mistake Nintendo made with WiiWare and DSiWare. By limiting the sorts of games that could be released digitally, the services ended up being subpar. Full retail-type games are already being released on PSN, XBLA and various PC digital stores. If Nintendo doesn't keep up they'll be left in the dust.

WesFX wrote:

I would appreciate it if they opened up size limit so that the 3DSWare Shop could support games as big as DS games, games with concepts which might not do well at full retail anymore with room enough that they didn't have to be stripped down so much.

And here lies the true potential of 3DSWare. Niche titles can actually exist and profit on the service due to the low entry costs and high payback - no publisher, no manufacturing, no distribution costs, high exposure, high availability, low pricing. Developers could focus on making games which are original and enjoyable, instead of chasing budgets and profits like so many multimillion-costing console titles. 3DSWare could be filled with retail-quality niche titles which could really succeed.

Now that would be a new golden age of gaming in my eyes.

The 3DS just needs some competent built-in promotion for these titles. And by competent I mean far more visibility than Nintendo Channel gives.

Edited on by HolyMackerel

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GameInfinite

70. Posted:

3DS Shop is comfirmed on wikipedia

Unlocked everything for Smash 3DS!
NNID:CokeAlign
Brawl FC: 0603-7408-2907

AuthorMessage
Avatar

metakirbyknight

71. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

metakirbyknight wrote:

Nintendo doesn't want huge, rich games to be downloadable.

This is precisely the mistake Nintendo made with WiiWare and DSiWare. By limiting the sorts of games that could be released digitally, the services ended up being subpar. Full retail-type games are already being released on PSN, XBLA and various PC digital stores. If Nintendo doesn't keep up they'll be left in the dust.

I agree with you.

However, I'm not arguing what they should be doing, but what they're going to do.

Stalk me on my Twitter.
Proud Homebrewer.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HolyMackerel

72. Posted:

Just remembered that the new SDXC specification can theoretically store up to 2TB of data. (2,048 GB / 2,097,152 MB) If the 3DS doesn't support SDXC at laucnh, it most definitely will in the future with a firmware update.

As for actual SDXC sizes, I believe the current largest SDXC card is 64GB. But it's just a matter of time before we're up in the terabytes. :)

So... no worries.

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage
Avatar

metakirbyknight

73. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

Just remembered that the new SDXC specification can theoretically store up to 2TB of data. (2,048 GB / 2,097,152 MB) If the 3DS doesn't support SDXC at laucnh, it most definitely will in the future with a firmware update.

As for actual SDXC sizes, I believe the current largest SDXC card is 64GB. But it's just a matter of time before we're up in the terabytes. :)

So... no worries.

I hate to ruin the party, but SDXC is not backwards compatible and will require special hardware.

Stalk me on my Twitter.
Proud Homebrewer.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HolyMackerel

74. Posted:

That's not really ruining the party. Nintendo could possibly already have included SDXC-ready hardware. It's been out for over half a year now and by the 3DS's release it will have been about a year. I'm also hoping they include a wireless-n network card. These are pretty much essential hardware for the 3DS imo. Here's hoping Nintendo is up to speed with recent technology improvements.

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Raylax

75. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

Here's hoping Nintendo is up to speed with recent technology improvements.

Untitled

That's... the best way I can think to put it :3

ACNF: Visit Somni! DC: 7000 3442 7110
theblackdragon: ahaha perfect response to that thread, raylax
theblackdragon: eff your other responses, though
theblackdragon: all of them
theblackdragon: in the entire history of ever >:[
theblackdragon: they've all sucked

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HolyMackerel

76. Posted:

Well I meant technology APART from 3D screens. :P If they put in wireless-b/g with WEP only and no SDXC support then I will be a sad panda. And... they may do that. |: Plz don't Nintendo.

× steam

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3796-9042

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oregano

77. Posted:

HolyMackerel wrote:

Well I meant technology APART from 3D screens. :P If they put in wireless-b/g with WEP only and no SDXC support then I will be a sad panda. And... they may do that. |: Plz don't Nintendo.

Don't be silly:P They may not include SDXC(in the first iteration) but it definitely isn't going to be WEP only because the DSi isn't!

I'd really expect SDXC to be one of the things they use for the eventual mid-gen upgrade, not only because it's a good selling point but also because it'd be an easy way of keeping costs down(it's already high enough!).

http://www.gaminggauge.com/
My new gaming website!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GameInfinite

78. Posted:

I am so excited that when it's my 9th Birthday, I will get $900 for March 18th so i will buy the 3DS.

Unlocked everything for Smash 3DS!
NNID:CokeAlign
Brawl FC: 0603-7408-2907

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DESTROYA

79. Posted:

Didn't anyone tell you there's a age restriction on the 3DS , only for 10 and up...;)

DESTROYA

AuthorMessage
Avatar

metakirbyknight

80. Posted:

@Oregano

Yeah, the DSi supports WPA, if you set it up manually.

Stalk me on my Twitter.
Proud Homebrewer.