Forums

Topic: 3Ds should go for no card games

Posts 101 to 120 of 125

HolyMackerel

Resale means no money goes back to the publisher/developer at consecutive sales, so they have no reason to implement that in their own store. Resale is just a means for brick-and-mortar stores to make more returns, and is actually against the EULA for most games.

And who said anything about no price drops? See Steam for a perfect example of how digital pricing should be done.

Edited on by theblackdragon

HolyMackerel

RoyalBlur

WaltzElf wrote:

Um, you realise that digital distribution is actually on the rise, right, and not a failure at all? In fact, reports are suggesting it's taking a massive piece of the retail pie.

As for your five reasons that it's supposedly a "failure" - 1 and 2 are essentially the same thing, and irrelevant. Music used to have a vibrant resale scene, especially in vinyl era... and yet digital distribution still took over.

3 and 5) have already been discussed in the posts immediately before yours, but I guess you missed them - the infrastructure will be there. And the analysts are expecting that in the next 20 years.

4) you do realise that the Sony, Microsoft and Nintendos of the world maintain massive and very, very expensive datacentres that, if they go down for anything but maintenance, are basically guaranteed through server redundency and the like to be down for no longer than a few hours? Sometimes they go down for maintenance an I guess that could last for a half day or so, but if you really need to buy a new game every 12 hours, then you are one of the problem gamers that needs an intevention.

And, as we've already discussed the benefits of digital distribution are massive: Becuase it's cheaper to publish games on, start-ups and indie developers can get their stuff out there easier, so there's a greater variety and creativity in the games published on the platforms. DLC and patching is easier so developers can continue to support games after they've been released.

Man, you're right up my alley WaltzElf. Together you and I can rule the cyber galaxy! Now if only these Rebels who cling to their un-enviromentaly friendly plastic cartridges and tree hurting paper instruction manuals would concede to the ever changing (positive change) world about them we could get a lot more done!

BTW Nintendoftw, it is worth pointing out that Nintendo, SONY, Microsoft and other indie companies don't smile upon stores like GameStop and GameCrazy because of their "game trading methods". Iwata and Reggie Fills Amie have both discussed that "trading games" hurts the developers and in turn it hurts the big cookie, namely Nintendo or Microsoft. The only one profiting from the software trading system is the GameStop retail because all the profit goes into their little purse. It is precisely because of GameStop and GameCrazy that software developers and the Big Four (Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Apple Inc) all prefer Digital Distribution. In fact if you head over to youtube.com you'll be able to find a video of Steve Jobs explaining that Digital Distribution will take over because so many developers can't stand the trade of their precious software titles without getting any returns in profit.

Edited on by RoyalBlur

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

noblo601

I am a big fan of physical games but I totally agree that game trading through gaming stores hurts the market more than anything.

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

Nintendoftw

Game trading and selling is a huge part of gaming, what do you do once you have bought a bad game? Not to mention no more returning. Digital Distribution should be good 10 or 15 years from now, but NOT now, horrible idea at the moment. Speeds and too slow and not everyone has wifi, especially people who live on the countryside.

Nintendoftw

ray62

alright digital sale shoud be available but nintendo can still make a profit with retail because not everyone has it. buy digital makes a lot of profit

ray62

RoyalBlur

Nintendoftw wrote:

Game trading and selling is a huge part of gaming, what do you do once you have bought a bad game? Not to mention no more returning. Digital Distribution should be good 10 or 15 years from now, but NOT now, horrible idea at the moment. Speeds and too slow and not everyone has wifi, especially people who live on the countryside.

I'm sorry mate, but you're obviously out of touch. Did you not read what WaltzElf wrote at the top of this page? Plus, fret not. Nintendo is still going to utilize cartridges for the Nintendo 3DS.

Edited on by RoyalBlur

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

ray62

Nintendoftw wrote:

HORRID IDEA.

Nintendo already said that there would be an optional amount of games in the 3DS Shop... So the memory should probably be up to 10 gb... But still a horrible idea due to a limited number of games.

Digital download works best with movies and music, but not games. It will never work out, because you can not sell them back and when an old game ages there are no price drops.

Top 5 main reasons digital distribution is a HUGE failure- 1. No trade-ins
2. No selling
3. Download times vary
4. If the online store is all of the sudden disconnected then where will you get your games in the mean time?
5. NOT EVERYONE HAS WIFI.
please use the 'edit' link instead of quadruple-posting in a thread -- TBD

You sound verry silly right now, all facts arnt even right and there will be price just because its retail doesnt mean it wont have price, it depends if the GAME is selling or not so get ur facts please.

ray62

edhe

TokyoRed wrote:

Nintendoftw wrote:

I'm sorry mate, but you're obviously out of touch. Did you not read what WaltzElf wrote at the top of this page? Plus, fret not. Nintendo is still going to utilize cartridges for the Nintendo 3DS.

WaltzElf said it'll take a few years (20 specifically) before everyone - even bumpkins in tiny villages with crap telephone lines to get a serviceable Internet connection that suits downlading games.

Nintendoftw said he/she believes digital distribution will be "good 10 - 15 years from now"

But you seem to ignore his other point about trading in games.

I agree however, that the green factor is a very important issue, which can only be solved by downloading games instead of buying them in a box, but what about our natural urge to trade something to someone (either to recoup losses or to let them experience a game without them having to pay full price (remember - we're in a global economic crisis, and people can be forgiven for being a bit frugal) by buying it themselves, and don't forget import gaming (the Australians can tell you a thing or two about the number of EU games (let alone NA and JAP games) they miss out on. Europeans miss out on a shedload of games too, but as long as the console/handheld isn't region-locked, at least we can import them.

But if digital distribution could guarantee I retained ALL my consumer rights, guaranteed I'd be receiving a comprehensive and bug free product, reduced the number of region exclusive games AND costs me less money (no packaging, shipping and distribution costs), then it won't be such a bad thing - for the consumer or the planet.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

RoyalBlur

edhe wrote:

TokyoRed wrote:

Nintendoftw wrote:

WaltzElf said it'll take a few years (20 specifically) before everyone - even bumpkins in tiny villages with crap telephone lines to get a serviceable Internet connection that suits downlading games.

Nintendoftw said he/she believes digital distribution will be "good 10 - 15 years from now"

I agree however, that the green factor is a very important issue, which can only be solved by downloading games instead of buying them in a box, but what about our natural urge to trade something to someone (either to recoup losses or to let them experience a game without them having to pay full price (remember - we're in a global economic crisis, and people can be forgiven for being a bit frugal) by buying it themselves, and don't forget import gaming (the Australians can tell you a thing or two about the number of EU games (let alone NA and JAP games) they miss out on. Europeans miss out on a shedload of games too, but as long as the console/handheld isn't region-locked, at least we can import them.

But if digital distribution could guarantee I retained ALL my consumer rights, guaranteed I'd be receiving a comprehensive and bug free product, reduced the number of region exclusive games AND costs me less money (no packaging, shipping and distribution costs), then it won't be such a bad thing - for the consumer or the planet.

Good points Edhe.

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

theblackdragon

TokyoRed wrote:

Nintendoftw wrote:

it's funny that you call him out of touch when you're the one all gung-ho over downloadables at the moment, lol. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

LzWinky

Mickeymac wrote:

I agree. Keeping track of a bunch of different game cartridges is a hassle and a waste of space. I got a PSP, and I mostly just download my games. In fact, I honestly wish they had gone with the PSPgo right from the start so I wouldn't have a bunch of UMDs that I couldn't use if I upgraded. Unfortunately, Nintendo ain't got the balls to change to something so drastic, nor do they have the skills and the know-how to pull it off.

COUGH Wii COUGH DS COUGH N64...need I go on?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

WaltzElf wrote:

20 years. Can we all agree that in 2030, developed nations will be technologically capable of doing this? Once the infrastructure is there I can promise you developers and publishers will move there wholeheartedly.

Nope

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ray62

edhe wrote:

TokyoRed wrote:

Nintendoftw wrote:

First of all if you dont want to buy a digital game then dont, 2nd of all if your not shoure about a game and then you bought it and you can return it thats a huge advantage. but let me remind you that you can get a demo for a game your not shour off, and 3rd get your facts right and digital game distribution is allready on the ds its called dsiware and the may not be as big as a cartridge but its a lot of space.

ray62

ray62

lz2010 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

I agree. Keeping track of a bunch of different game cartridges is a hassle and a waste of space. I got a PSP, and I mostly just download my games. In fact, I honestly wish they had gone with the PSPgo right from the start so I wouldn't have a bunch of UMDs that I couldn't use if I upgraded. Unfortunately, Nintendo ain't got the balls to change to something so drastic, nor do they have the skills and the know-how to pull it off.

yeah cough cough because you make no sense what so ever just because those systems did it doesnt mean it wasnt a hassle, my favorite wii game was mario galaxy and guess what my lil bro scratched it up, see if that was digital that would not be a problem.
COUGH Wii COUGH DS COUGH N64...need I go on?

ray62

armoredghor

@118 this is assuming that all the developers go through the time to make a demo. Not everyones gonna do it.-especially not most of the 3rd party studios.
@107 Tokyo Red Gamestop and gamecrazy(now out of business) are not the only ones profitting from trade-ins; so is the consumer. We get a fraction of the cost off to play a game that's been used. We also get to cycle through games if we play frequently enough. Gamestop is taking all the profit from trade ins instead of the producers getting all their hard earned cash but gamestop is offering a service to get a lot of games for a fraction of the original price.
@nintendoftw i believe your strongest point is hardrive space. Unless we want to cycle through like many are already doing with trade-ins, we're gonna need a bigger hardrive or authorization to use heavy SD cards which get expensive when you start getting into the 32 gb range.
all that being said, I don't even like used games; I only buy them if there're no new available copies. but it is another option.

armoredghor

ray62

armoredghor wrote:

@118 this is assuming that all the developers go through the time to make a demo. Not everyones gonna do it.-especially not most of the 3rd party studios.
@107 Tokyo Red Gamestop and gamecrazy(now out of business) are not the only ones profitting from trade-ins; so is the consumer. We get a fraction of the cost off to play a game that's been used. We also get to cycle through games if we play frequently enough. Gamestop is taking all the profit from trade ins instead of the producers getting all their hard earned cash but gamestop is offering a service to get a lot of games for a fraction of the original price.
@nintendoftw i believe your strongest point is hardrive space. Unless we want to cycle through like many are already doing with trade-ins, we're gonna need a bigger hardrive or authorization to use heavy SD cards which get expensive when you start getting into the 32 gb range.
all that being said, I don't even like used games; I only buy them if there're no new available copies. but it is another option.

I see your point but a demo could be possible most likely

ray62

edhe

edhe wrote:

ray62 wrote:

First of all if you dont want to buy a digital game then dont,

We're talking about a situation where only digital games are available. Look at the Topic heading and the first post. You made them.

ray62 wrote:

2nd of all if your not shoure about a game and then you bought it and you can return it thats a huge advantage. but let me remind you that you can get a demo for a game your not shour off,

I hardly ever buy games on a whim and then decide I don't like them. Thanks to Nintendo life and Youtube (where I can look at the gameplay), I'm quite careful about what I buy. What I do like to do though, is sell on a game that I've completed or gotten bored with, or lend/give it to a friend or family member.

Nintendo's own WiiWare demo service was short lived , and if they branch into download only, they'll need to embrace demos more.

ray62 wrote:

and 3rd get your facts right and digital game distribution is allready on the ds its called dsiware and the may not be as big as a cartridge but its a lot of space.

What? (I don't remember saying anything to the contrary)

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

ray62

i didnt mean they should fully get rid of cards they should jus make more full digital games.

ray62

Nintendoftw

Nintendo already announced that 3DS games will also be available in the 3DS Shop so I don't even know why this conversation was started up, now going COMPLETELY DD is a stupid idea in any time period. I mean look at blueray, downloads and discs, works great.

Nintendoftw

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.