3DS Forum

Topic: 3DS and 3DS XL. Whitch to buy?

Showing 81 to 96 of 96

AuthorMessage
Avatar

maceng

81. Posted:

psxsage wrote:

Chriiis wrote:

@psxsage It means they could be making that paper by releasing it here. (-:

I know :p

But in all seriousness the Japanese/American cultures are so wildly different i think an orange color would be as hard of a sell to the public here as Pink is (and end up heavily discounted as most pink electronics do) i of course could be wildly wrong but i can't think of any mega selling Orange colored electronic anything here in the US. I'd be quite curious as to sales if they ever do release it here.

A lot of phones (house phones) are colored, there has been several orange and pink computers in teh past that have sold extremely well (Vaio laptops, Apple's iMac, and so on).

maceng

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

82. Posted:

maceng wrote:

psxsage wrote:

Chriiis wrote:

@psxsage It means they could be making that paper by releasing it here. (-:

I know :p

But in all seriousness the Japanese/American cultures are so wildly different i think an orange color would be as hard of a sell to the public here as Pink is (and end up heavily discounted as most pink electronics do) i of course could be wildly wrong but i can't think of any mega selling Orange colored electronic anything here in the US. I'd be quite curious as to sales if they ever do release it here.

A lot of phones (house phones) are colored, there has been several orange and pink computers in teh past that have sold extremely well (Vaio laptops, Apple's iMac, and so on).

Really? Is that why almost every computer or electronic you see on clearance here is pink or orange or some Odd color? More or less the same reason the only 3ds colors almost everyone has in Stock is pink and some purple.

As far as the older imacs you are referencing the really popular one was nicknamed "blueberry" for a reason the more odd colors weren't nearly as big of a demand. And eventually they also went to more typical colors like white aluminum, blacks and so forth. The market here is just wildly different due to cultural norms etc. I mean Hentai harem games are very popular in Japan do you think we should try those here also just because they are popular in Japan? I get your personal desire for the color but since they region lock their handheld from a business prospective I completely get them not releasing certain colors/editions here.

Edited on by psxsage

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SeVok

83. Posted:

The build quality and choice of components of the original 3DS is better in my opinion.
It just looks far more next-gen and I live the black glass around the screen for that extra contrast.
One chooses the original 3DS for sharpness and superb audio quality for such small design and of course it's size.

I have them both, for different reasons, but my favourite remains the original one.

SeVok

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9395-5387

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

84. Posted:

SeVok wrote:

The build quality and choice of components of the original 3DS is better in my opinion.
It just looks far more next-gen and I live the black glass around the screen for that extra contrast.
One chooses the original 3DS for sharpness and superb audio quality for such small design and of course it's size.

I have them both, for different reasons, but my favourite remains the original one.

Much of what you say (and i say) about the topic is subjective and hence has no right or wrong response really, but the one thing i really need to call you out on is ""superb audio quality"" The audio quality on ALL of the 3DS/2DS versions is AWFUL so the speakers on the 3DS compared to the 3DSXL is literally the difference between Poor and crap. Even a 10$ set of JVC Flats literally make the 3DS sound 5X better than the built in speakers,honestly every handheld i can think of in history has awful speakers but the 3DS in specific has horrible sound in general across all models. Use an even better headset around entry level such as Portapros and honestly you'll realize exactly how much you are missing using the horrid stock 3DS speakers. To put it bluntly the 3DS speakers max volume sucks unless you are more or less alone in a church setting..? The Mids suck the lows suck the highs suck...I know it's limited by form factor and all but i have a 15$ Bluetooth speaker the size of an Advil bottle that even puts the 3DS speakers to massive shame.

Simply put if Audio quality is a concern headphones are really required. (and it's a damn shame the 3DS didn't get Bluetooth as an external wireless speaker would have been grand and or wireless headsets.)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SeVok

85. Posted:

psxsage wrote:

one thing i really need to call you out on is ""superb audio quality"" The audio quality on ALL of the 3DS/2DS versions is AWFUL so the speakers on the 3DS compared to the 3DSXL is literally the difference between Poor and crap.

I do not agree, I'm not the only one who sighted the remarkable sound quality of the original 3DS speakers. Again as said, considering the size of the speakers. One cannot ignore the form factor when evaluating the performance of something, especially the heavily restricted space available, thus to compare it with JVC flats which is 1. an entirily different device, 2. supports speakers roughly 300% to 400% larger due to more space is comparing apples and oranges. And I have not come across speakers of similar size and restrictions (the flat aspect of the top screen for example) that outperforms the 3DS speakers. And headsets and their quality is comparing apples and oranges...

Edited on by SeVok

SeVok

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9395-5387

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

86. Posted:

When the 3ds came out, the general consensus around here was that the audio was kinda bad and I agree with that, even my DSi sounds better than all the 3ds models I have owned.

It goes like...

3ds is low, XL is lower, 2ds is louder but mono.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

87. Posted:

SeVok wrote:

psxsage wrote:

one thing i really need to call you out on is ""superb audio quality"" The audio quality on ALL of the 3DS/2DS versions is AWFUL so the speakers on the 3DS compared to the 3DSXL is literally the difference between Poor and crap.

I do not agree, I'm not the only one who sighted the remarkable sound quality of the original 3DS speakers. Again as said, considering the size of the speakers. One cannot ignore the form factor when evaluating the performance of something, especially the heavily restricted space available, thus to compare it with JVC flats which is 1. an entirily different device, 2. supports speakers roughly 300% to 400% larger due to more space is comparing apples and oranges. And I have not come across speakers of similar size and restrictions (the flat aspect of the top screen for example) that outperforms the 3DS speakers. And headsets and their quality is comparing apples and oranges...

While a different pricing category of course the HTC ONE (M8) phone speakers blow the 3ds away. For that matter even the little tiny speakers on the budget Samsung Galaxy tab 3 7 inch which is anywhere from 149$-179$ are definitely louder and Id argue more pronounced and the speakers are really same tiny on that thing (not great speakers by any stretch but side by side the 3ds I'd still take them)

The thing is though also it wouldn't really matter if we are judging the device due to size or not poor is poor period. Regardless of why it's poor it still hurts the experience of whatever game it is your playing and sound is a big part of that. I can't think how much I would have missed over the years if I was stuck using poor speakers like the 3ds with games like castle Vania SOTN, or battlefield or even most of the jrpg games with their pop rock style music like in persona 4 or conception 2 etc.

Simply put the why doesn't matter as much as the fact it "is" the XL sound is worse but the 3ds is poor to begin with, even in a quiet room a <10$ earbud set easily 4-5X out does the 3ds volume and clarity which for those who care about sound in their games at all (which considering how much it adds to games I can't imagine not caring).. Makes the 3ds vs XL speakers kind of a moot thing since as I originally said it's literally comparing poor to crap.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jim_Purcell

88. Posted:

In a silent room I find the XL's sound to be just fine. With any kind of ambient noise it tends to be canceled out. But this is a pretty typical problem with small speakers. My iPad is the same way. God help you if you want to show your friend a movie trailer in crowded breakroom and you don't have earbuds nearby.

Jim_Purcell

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SeVok

89. Posted:

psxsage wrote:

The thing is though also it wouldn't really matter if we are judging the device due to size or not poor is poor period.

Your inability to evaluate a product or component within it's confinements is striking. Poor or not poor is a subjective thing, you seem to try to establish the idea that what you state is fact by way of comparing devices that are either 700% over the budget or devices that not even come close in terms of similarity with the 3DS. You seem to think the original 3DS has poor audio quality and I respect your opinion, but do not try to change mine with these senseless arguments. If you persist on doing so, then at least compare it to the audio performance of other handhelds and name those that outperform the original 3DS. At best your opinion will be noted, like we both said, in the end it's a subjective thing.

psxsage wrote:

Regardless of why it's poor it still hurts the experience of whatever game it is your playing and sound is a big part of that. I can't think how much I would have missed over the years if I was stuck using poor speakers like the 3ds with games like castle Vania SOTN, or battlefield...

This is a different topic, even if the 3DS speakers are the finest on planet earth, they will never be able to match the sound experience of a surround set or even headphones. But does not mean the speakers of the original 3DS are poor. I cannot descend to that level of black & white thinking, there is a place for them tiny speakers on the original 3DS and they are excellent in their own right looking at what is achievable within form factor and budget confinement. I've had just about every handheld gaming system ever on the market and I have not seen such audio quality as on the original 3DS, no PS1 game, no battlefield and certainly no €699 smartphone will change my opinion my friend.

Edited on by SeVok

SeVok

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9395-5387

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

90. Posted:

So because they are in a flat form factor and a cheap device I have to praise them? Poor is poor period. Should I give the Ford Pinto a break for being one of the worst cars ever made because it was cheap? Bad quality is bad quality in any light and the audio on 3ds is flat out terrible (as it has been on handheld in general) but still even the speakers on a cheap thin Galaxy tab 3 7" at 179$ or less are louder and more pronounced (they still suck but an improvement over 3ds none the less) sound is a VERY big part of a games experience and anyone settling for the crap that is the stock speakers on any handheld really not just the 3ds is not doing the game they are playing justice.

Using the stock speakers on the 3ds for "superb sound" would mean the same to me as someone saying they use a 480P TV for superb picture quality on a PS4/Xbox one etc

Edited on by psxsage

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SeVok

91. Posted:

psxsage wrote:

So because they are in a flat form factor and a cheap device I have to praise them? Poor is poor period. Should I give the Ford Pinto a break for being one of the worst cars ever made because it was cheap?

psxsage wrote:

Using the stock speakers on the 3ds for "superb sound" would mean the same to me as someone saying they use a 480P TV for superb picture quality on a PS4/Xbox one etc

If you feel the Ford Pinto is the worst car ever made then back your words up with relevant arguments. With the bulk of your arguments your are saying that the Ford Pinto is a crap car because the BMW is so much better. I ask for you to point out why the Ford Pinto is the worst car ever made, but you keep getting back with cars that are not in it's class. Then you fail to recognize there is such a thing as class of product, poor = poor. I recognized to you earlier in the thread that the Ford Pinto is in fact crap compared to a BMW, but that in it's own product class and confinements it can be an excellent car. That sentiment is impossible according to you because poor = poor. I do not see it that way. Your scale of reference is so twisted I cannot produce any further arguments, after-all a Formula 3 driver can be poor compared to a Formula 1 driver, but still be an excellent, superb Formula 3 driver. I know, I know, this cannot be, poor = poor, right?

Edited on by SeVok

SeVok

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9395-5387

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

92. Posted:

If you consider one track making a statement upon poor quality of a product, of which one poster already agreed with.. Than I guess you are correct only so many arguments you can throw indeed.

In the end hopefully all the thoughts everyone has had will help the OP make up his or her mind.

Now time to get that BBQ going

Cheers

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SeVok

93. Posted:

I was the one making my statement, you were the one trying to refute that statement as a non-subjective matter.
You were incapable of producing relevant references to base your refutation, that makes your opinion not any more accurate than mine is. I evaluate the tiny speakers on a different scale of appreciation, yes I do find them superb in their own right. JVC headsets, €699 HTC ONE M8 and even a tablet is comparing apples and oranges, I'll regard the original 3DS speakers as superb until I have a reference that put's it in perspective. I have not witnessed any better sound on a similar device and I've had them all. I have only witnessed worse, that the fundament of my personal opinion - which nobody had to agree upon - on the 3DS speakers as shared previously.

Edited on by SeVok

SeVok

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9395-5387

AuthorMessage
Avatar

6ch6ris6

94. Posted:

i was able to play some mario kart 7 yesterday with someones 3DS XL.
it was very uncomfortable. i already have kinda big hands but the 3ds XL is definetly too big for my taste. it would have been even more uncomfortable with headphones in as the jack is not in the middle. so glad i havent "upgraded" to XL.

i hope with nintendos next handheld they will make a version that is right in between 3DS size and XL size. that would be perfect for me.

3DS code: 4768 - 7434 - 1139 <<>> Miiverse ID: A-C-A-B
Visit Pinewood in Animal Crossing: 7700 - 3096 - 0394 <<>> Nintendo Pocket Football Club: FC Krawall

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Guovssohas

95. Posted:

Remember if u get the XL version u have to buy the charger as well, and that adds to the price difference further.

Guovssohas

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gr8m8

96. Posted:

The only good side to having any 3DS or 3DSXL is everything. Except the 3D.

gr8m8