3DS Forum

Topic: 3DS and 3DS XL. Whitch to buy?

Showing 61 to 80 of 96

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

61. Posted:

Chriiis wrote:

I guess I have a place for the aqua blue because it was my first 3DS and that ^ looks pretty good, but how can someone not like this? D:

Untitled

Hot dog! I would be all over that like jelly on a PBJ. :$

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DadOfFour1972

62. Posted:

I have a blue XL and couldn't go to the smaller size. Fits my hands much better and the screen size and quality is excellent. Of course if you want to just slip it in your pocket then the standard one is a must!

Live long and prosper
Gamertag : ringrosemike
PSN : ringrosemike

3DS Friend Code: 2466-2347-5262

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hy8ogen

63. Posted:

Chriiis wrote:

I guess I have a place for the aqua blue because it was my first 3DS and that ^ looks pretty good, but how can someone not like this? D:

Untitled

Only if we got these colors...I'll be all over the orange one.

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BenAV

64. Posted:

Chriiis wrote:

Untitled

One of my friends has the orange one, it's pretty cool.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club - Club Name: True Teikoku | Club ID: 9697C6E03

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

65. Posted:

Chriiis wrote:

By lightheartedness, I was referring to where I laughed and linked the NL article here where they announced Japan was getting the new colors and numerous other comments were in favor of (really) liking the orange. I also was unaware that there is such a thing as a 'grown up color'(=/= professional).

It's a matter of opinion and i was only stating mine,I simply can't imagine walking around carrying a color like that, It would be no less embarassing to me personally than wearing a rhinestone hat :p (Which hey if someones into that i guess)

Hmm...not sure what you're implying in that second part there because I said earlier in this thread that I have both the original and XL models. That's what I made my comparison with about the 3D effect and all, ha. Seems like you've already made up your mind that I conjured this out of thin air, however.

You were in fact one of those few people i was referring to who did have both and had that opinion,still it's hard to deny that while both opinions are just that opinions i'd say in the tech review world more would favor what i am stating it certainly doesn't mean you have to agree i was merely backing up my opinion with many cited sources.

Didn't intend this to blow up like it did. Kinda why I noted the lightheartedness before... :l

Not sure what you mean by "blow up" Not like we are getting angry at one another or attacking one another we are discussing differing viewpoints. I think either there may be a language barrier or communication issue? As in no way did this ever "blow up" unless you mean the amount of responses?

Cheers

Untitled

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lalivero

66. Posted:

Didn't expect to get a bazillion reviews thrown in because that seems a little over the top for this particular topic, heh, as something like that could go either way really is what I meant.

...and oh look, more support for orange, hehehehehehehehehehe. :-)

Untitled

...formerly - Chriiis

Nintendo Network ID: Lalivero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

biglittlejake

67. Posted:

Save your money and get a 2DS. It of course doesn't have 3D but its cheaper and it seems more natural than a 3DS and 3DS XL. I have had them all I like the 2DS best. You should check it out.

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."
Mark Twain

3DS Friend Code: 4055-4920-9482 | Nintendo Network ID: Makar-The-Korok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SeVok

68. Posted:

psxsage wrote:

The Original had/has the issue where there was not enough clearance between the screens when they were closed resulting in scratching of the screen without the use of screen protectors.

The believe that this issue is limited to only the 3DS and not the 3DSXL is a common misconception. It does exist on the 3DSXL as well, though in a far more less pronounced fashion where in most cases it's hardly visible unless viewed at from a certain angle against the light. In some other cases you cannot look past it, I experienced this myself on two 3DSXL's so far. In short, there is also a cloth between my 3DSXL, I too don't like screen protectors :)

SeVok

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9395-5387

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

69. Posted:

Love the Gif but isn't that more supporting "green" /rimshot =p

@biglittlejake I second that providing 3d isn't important to the buyer but for me it's a make or break feature.

Chriiis wrote:

Didn't expect to get a bazillion reviews thrown in because that seems a little over the top for this particular topic, heh, as something like that could go either way really is what I meant.

...and oh look, more support for orange, hehehehehehehehehehe. :-)

Untitled

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

mystman12

70. Posted:

The orange looks okay, but what about the turquoise?! Now THAT looks nice!

I don't believe it! I won't believe it! There isn't a pinball right here! What kind of world do we live in, where there isn't a pinball right here? Well, I'm going to do my part! I'm gonna— umm... build a pinball! - Homestar Runner (Sort of)
Future Pinball blog
Infinite Office for PTC!

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter: mystman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

71. Posted:

I've yet to see that confirmed from a professional source which is what makes me wonder if folks are putting it in there pocket putting too much pressure on it or what... Just never seen it personally (not saying it's impossible) definitely less likely I'd wager.

SeVok wrote:

psxsage wrote:

The Original had/has the issue where there was not enough clearance between the screens when they were closed resulting in scratching of the screen without the use of screen protectors.

The believe that this issue is limited to only the 3DS and not the 3DSXL is a common misconception. It does exist on the 3DSXL as well, though in a far more less pronounced fashion where in most cases it's hardly visible unless viewed at from a certain angle against the light. In some other cases you cannot look past it, I experienced this myself on two 3DSXL's so far. In short, there is also a cloth between my 3DSXL, I too don't like screen protectors :)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

72. Posted:

psxsage wrote:

You are of course welcome to disagree but an explanation as to why would be nice. Not only because i am curious (Granted EVERY thing said on this thread well...95% of it is all opinion so there is no right or wrong answer) But it would also help the OP in his decision if you list reasons rather than just saying "I disagree"

As to #5 sure you could leave that in between that screens but that's a bit impractical and is poor design to be needed. And wiping the screen would help if it was only "marks" There are plenty of cases online where it causes unclean able marks otherwise known as scratches. (Or at least marks ingrained into the screen so badly you would have to risk using a chemical cleaner to remove them)

1. The screen size on the original is too small which makes positioning the 3D effect to make it work far more difficult.(Much bigger "sweet" spot on the XL by far) --> never had a problem with the sweet spot. When I tried the XL, I found the effect less striking.
2. The original screen is too small period for my tastes for general viewing. --> well, it's not too small for me. It is sharper, and I like having a small screen. Smartphone screens are always getting bigger, and there's the game pad and tablets, so it's nice to have a small sharp one.
3. The original is VERY uncomfortable to hold due to it's size and design. --> not my experience at all. And the new positioning of the headphone jack in the XL will make it awful for me.
4. The original is a fingerprint magnet and drove me crazy to look at without wiping it off constantly/ --> can't notice this either. The Cosmo Black always looks pristine.
5. The Original had/has the issue where there was not enough clearance between the screens when they were closed resulting in scratching of the screen without the use of screen protectors (which i hate screen protectors personally) --> so here the white sheet thing works perfectly and wiping it off from time to time, so it never bothered me.
6. The original from my OWN experience seemed to be less durable on the hinge side of things as i had two break on me with VERY gentle use (opened and closed a lot but very gently so never in pockets never by the corners etc) the XL feels more solid IMO and the hinges feel more sturdy.--> well they haven't broken for me, never had this issue. I like it that it can rotate however I want, and not fixed positions like the xl.
7. The Battery on the XL lasts longer (for for a handheld is a HUGE thing) for me using 3D around an hour or more longer this may be more if not using 3D. --> battery seemed fine to me. I like it that I can tell whether 3d is on or not during a game, which is something you cannot do with the xl, so this helps I can always change to 2d when it's not 3d anyway.
8. The home/select etc buttons being that cheap plastic strip and not dedicated buttons feels really cheap and are annoying to use..i MUCH prefer the XL's dedicated Buttons. --> i like the original's better, there's something fun about them not being obstructive.

So all in all, taking the better resolution, the compactibility, the better sound, the more glossy look and its "hi techy not fisher pricey look", I prefer the 3DS much more than the XL...

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

73. Posted:

@dumedum I can't say i agree with many/any of your responses but at least you explained why you felt as you did which is what i had asked out of my curiosity so Thumbs up for that. Opposing viewpoints is what the OP wanted after all one would assume.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lalivero

74. Posted:

@psxsage It means they could be making that paper by releasing it here. (-:

It looks like I'm not the only one who noticed that the XL marks the upper screen as well(though from what I see it is more so with the circle pad.

Edited on by Lalivero

...formerly - Chriiis

Nintendo Network ID: Lalivero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

psxsage

75. Posted:

Chriiis wrote:

@psxsage It means they could be making that paper by releasing it here. (-:

I know :p

But in all seriousness the Japanese/American cultures are so wildly different i think an orange color would be as hard of a sell to the public here as Pink is (and end up heavily discounted as most pink electronics do) i of course could be wildly wrong but i can't think of any mega selling Orange colored electronic anything here in the US. I'd be quite curious as to sales if they ever do release it here.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lalivero

76. Posted:

@dumedum I agree with most of your points, especially about the screen and 3D being sharper and it not being uncomfortable(though I have slim hands, so go figure). I honestly don't like the home/start/select 'strip' on either as they both feel cheap though. I remember my original aqua blue was a fingerprint magnet but, luckily, my black one isn't as bad it seems.

@psxsage Well then you know it at least sells if it it's produced period(has happened with different consoles) and hey, Japan obviously has taste, unlike here. They have the time to make all these absolutely hideous 3DS XL models like the blue and red Pokémon XY ones, yet Japan gets the black Charizard and Gold XY one; Hmmm....they could at least make the attempt.

Edited on by Lalivero

...formerly - Chriiis

Nintendo Network ID: Lalivero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

77. Posted:

Even peewee prefers the original. ;)

Untitled

Also, RE: Revelations looked like crap on my XL compared to the original. I got a much sharper/cleaner brighter picture, while the 3D effect was more pronounced and crisper. It all looked like a bit of an unpleasent downgrade on the XL. Bigger doesn't always meen better. There's a reason why the original 3DS's screens were that small to begin with.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

maceng

78. Posted:

psxsage wrote:

Xiao_Pai wrote:

Are the XL's speakers really quieter than the original's? Been thinking about upgrading because my 3DS's shoulder buttons are wearing out it seems.

Noticeably This is one of the ONLY things i preferred about the 3DS OG model,that said i tend to use high quality headphones anyways which Blow either models speakers away, i was never impressed by the original models speakers either. But yes the originals speakers if i were to estimate?(Pulling numbers out of my ass here) Are about 25-30% Louder?

Yes, about 25% seems right.

I own 3 3Ds (a Cosmo, the Zelda one and a Princess Peach special edition), as well as 9 3DS XL (a blue one, a pink one; blue, red and Pikachu pokemon: the zelda one, Mario and Luigi, Disney's and a recently bought Animal Crossing one).

My son and I played a lot in the Cosmo one and my daughter on the Princess Peach one. No problem whatsoever on neither. Just a bit cramped (I have huge hands).
The Pikachu one has very soft shoulder buttons that don't click well. The blue one, after a very nasty fall, lost 80% of the audio, so I use headphones with it (it is the workhorse of the house as other are for show, or when we have large groups of people playing in the house).

The battery life and screen and comfort of the 3DS XL are heaven sent. The small weight, sharper screens are the only reason while I we haven't sold the Cosmo 3DS. The difference in price is negligible: I have seen Target and Fry's selling the 3DSXL at 170. Even in japan, where they value too much the space, teh 3DSXL have been outselling the small 3DS for more than a year.

I just hope Nintendo steps up the resolution of their games to make better use of the larger screens.

maceng

AuthorMessage
Avatar

maceng

79. Posted:

Also, Nintendo just stopped showing any info on their main page about the normal. They just compare the 3DSXL vs the 2DS!!

maceng

AuthorMessage
Avatar

maceng

80. Posted:

Chriiis wrote:

I guess I have a place for the aqua blue because it was my first 3DS and that ^ looks pretty good, but how can someone not like this? D:

Untitled

I want that, no, scratch that, I want THOSE!!!!

My wife says that it looks a bit gaudy, but I LOVE my Zelda 3DSXL. And the hinges (do not know why) are so tight while opening and closing!!

Also, I love my Pikachu one but it doesn't go out of the house (as well as the Pink Princess 3DS, bought a 360 euros at eBay). next on my list if I win the lottery (or a large contract)? the Charizard Japanese 3DS XL.

maceng