Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 8,281 to 8,300 of 11,914

Ryu_Niiyama

I don’t mind the win 10 underpinnings but the design of the xbone os is terrible and I really wish they’d declutter it or allow the user to do so.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Banjo-

Just posting to let people know how awesome Xbox One X games look on a good 4K HDR TV (LG C9). This week I started playing Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition after watching the film on X too and also the cartoon Brotherhood on YouTube. The cartoon is great and the film much better than I expected after having watched the Final Fantasy VII film. The game starts quite slow but now I'm liking it and it reminds me a lot of Xenoblade Chronicles X which I loved (I called it best original Wii U game and far better the Breath of the Wild).

The other games look awesome too, the differences between Crash Team Racing on X and Switch are astronomical, yes I have both versions.

Since no link has been posted here here you are:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1215145/Final-...

It says that FFVII is a PS one-year exclusive just like FFX and FFXII before it.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Justifier

I can deal with FFVII being one-year exclusive, because I was prepared that I could not play it at all (I don't have PS4). I am just a little worried, because FFVII is my all time favorite game, and I know that when they change things (even for the better) I don't like these changes.
But if it comes to Xbox I will give it a go.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Banjo-

@Justifier I suspected that it would come to Xbox One like all the others and, who knows, perhaps we get a more complete edition that would reach PS4 eventually, like what has occurred to other ports. @NEStalgia had to say, Yes, BlueOcean was right, even VII is coming to Xbox.

When Final Fantasy X/X-II was released it said "On PlayStation Only" on the cover (I got this one for PS4) but when they released XII I waited for the Xbox version, the PS4 cover didn't read "On PlayStation Only" and X/X-II had been released on Xbox. XII came to Xbox One/Windows one year later too.

Now all the main FF games after VI and the main MMORPG FF game are coming to Xbox and even to Game Pass while some of them are not available on PS4. Square Enix has finally welcomed Microsoft with open arms. And I really love this because Xbox is the future-friendliest platform and we've seen this with all the free Xbox One X remasters and Xbox One backwards compatibility.

If I remember correctly they said that FFVII Remake will feature action and turn-based combat so the player can choose. That alone makes it quite interesting and it looks gorgeous, too!

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama I always tell everyone it's the best UI design of all the consoles, once you realize you're not supposed to use the Home menu/"desktop", ever, at all, no matter what, period. It's just wallpaper. The real UI happens on the "start menu"/Guide menu, and it's actually easily the best of all the systems. At least if you organize all your games into category folders. By series importance. And color. Because OCD demands it.

@BlueOcean grumblegrumble

I'm just thrilled about FFVIIR being confirmed at all. Newer FF tends to play best on XB for some reason. Old FF still seems "right" on PS, but in part because they really designed some gimmicks around those controllers specifically. XV also featured "action and turn-based so the player can choose" and look how that turned out. But VIIR looks more "proper" to me.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Man, you're a tough nut to crack. Or just a nut, albeit a very nerdy one...

The thing is, I wasn't talking about going from Xbox 360 to the One or to Scarlett, I was mainly talking about games that were native to the Xbox One, like Halo 5, which when played on the X, offers a considerable upgrade on several levels/aspects. According to Phil Spencer, they've managed to fine-tune their newest platform to take full benefit of everything that has come before, so all that now runs smoothly and looks good or better on Xbox One X, will run even smoother and look even better on Scarlett. Of course, according to Spencer, so arguably not a given yet, but it would be rather stupid of him to fling such claims into the ether, and then not make good on them. And he isn't really known for talking out of his back end, so I'll take his word for it, for now, or until proven otherwise.

And aside from that, the jump in fidelity and/or smoothness will probably of a similar grade as going from One S to One X, so I don't know why you wouldn't notice and/or be impressed with that or interested in that. Of course, for the people that never had and X or had the chance to play on one like I did, the step from the lowly S to the Scarlett will be a double and so even far more impressive one, but that doesn't take anything away from the improvements that the people that will migrate from the X will experience, even though that's of course a smaller step up.

@Grumblevolcano I think we can safely assume that we're going to be covered on points 1 and 2, because that was and is kind of the whole point behind Scarlett, and the drive/motivation of the Xbox team. Point 3 is up for debate, but largely because aesthetics and such are often times also personal preference. Personally, I don't have any issues whatsoever with the Xbox One's operating system or menu features, but I can understand that not everybody shares that opinion.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX It's funny, we can talk politics, history, culture and philosophy and be on the same page. The moment Scarlett comes up, we can't manage to be on the same page about what the other is saying, ever Maybe we should talk Pokemon more.

I realize all that, but my point is, most of those games already RUN very smooth and at high resolution on the X. At some point "more smoother" doesn't actually matter. I guess some games can go from locked 30 to unlocked FPS, but the real question is is if upgrading beyond stable locked 30fps is worth immediately splashing out $500? Resolution isn't going to do much more for those existing games. 8k?

None of that is to disparage what happens with NEW games, but my point is with X1 games, if they're already running great res and smooth on 1X, what DOES Scarlett add? That's what will need to be decided once it's in people's hands.

Sure I'm interested in that, I'm just hesitant to believe "better" means "meaningful better" when it comes to games that are already running very well on current hardware, which is most games on 1X.

I don't expect the difference to be quite like going from 1S to 1X. That makes such a meaningful difference because of dev's bad dev practices. Games developers love to push the hardware to the limits to the point that games don't necessarily run well on the specced hardware as they tried to squeeze as many effects and vertices into the frame as possible. Since 1X is above the specced hardware, it escapes that "push it to the wall" limiter that keeps performance "passable" on the spec hardware. But 1X already escaped that barrier. Pushing above that doesn't always net more in a meaningful way. Even if Scarlett were 5000x more powerful, I would not expect the meaningful, perceived difference for an X1 game, to be a similar jump from 1X to Scarlett as it is from 1S to 1X. Not really a function of the hardware, but a function of why there's such a noticeable difference with that first upgrade (not just for console, PC video cards have that same pattern going.)

Obviously I'll be getting one eventually but the point is whether that difference is significant enough to warrant a full price day 1 purchase. That's what will need to be determined once it's in the field.

As for the OS, I think Nintendo and Sony have convinced everyone to think of the home screen as the UI proper. I can agree with them the X1 home screen is pure garbage on a campfire. Thankfully it's ignorable and not the main place for interacting with it, and the main places are excellent. But yeah, for anyone trying to use the actual home screen as a UI, they're in for a bad time.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Yeah, I also think that the Xbox UI is the best of all three. Using the Xbox button and you are a few buttons away from anything. I also found out that if you have marked favourite games as Pins you can access them not just on the Xbox Menu but if you press down on the dashboard Pins are the first thing you see and it's quite convenient too. Moreover, you can sort games in many ways while they are ridiculously scattered on both PS4 and Switch. Besides, Xbox One has all the settings you could wish for while PS4 seems more limited and Switch only has very basic settings (more basic than on 3DS and Wii U).

I remember reading that you can play "wait mode" during the FFXV tutorial but I haven't tried it yet, I wonder how it plays because gameplay seems to be so focused on real-time movement.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Haha, yeah, X1 is the OCD users' dream come true....PS4 allows folders but they still just sort in the order last used which drives me crazy. I tried to categorize games and the folders just sort by if I played an RPG or a fighting game last. Switch doesn't even allow that much control, the whole thing just lists games either alphabetically or order played, neither of which is very good. X1 lets me actually organize my "bookshelf" however I'd like. I admit, it spoils me. Though it creates a ton of work when I push games from my phone and then have to remember to organize them later

Yeah XV, I've barely played much of it yet, but it does have the wait mode. It's ok. It keeps the pacing a little more FF-ish, but IMO it's kind of tacked on so they could tell people "see it gives you choice!" when the game and combat is designed entirely around action. It feels kind of weird to use.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@ThanosReXXX My point about the OS is not about aesthetics but rather functionality. A new OS that is not designed specifically around stuff like snapping apps and Kinect will likely run better.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I will try the wait mode just to see how it plays.

Regarding Scarlett, I will get it of course but like you I'm very happy with Xbox One X right now and the new HDMI 2.1 TV I got, LG C9, even improved the frame rate (variable refresh rate support) compared to my old Sharp 1080p TV. Input lag is also at another level and yes, HDR is breathtaking. If I had the original Xbox One or an S I would get Scarlett day one but with X and this wonderful TV I can wait a little bit... I think...

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ha, please, I've got Pokémon discussions coming out of my nose AND my ears, so let's not even go there...

I think, as usual, it's mostly a case of talking past each other in certain areas, or something to that extent.
None of what I said is an opinion or a belief, it's basically just Phil Spencer's statements in my own words.

Now I know full well that there's some marketing blurb not all that subtly hidden in there somewhere, but as previously mentioned, he's not really known for making BS statements, so I'll go along with it for now, and assume most of what he and his team claims has either been achieved or will come really close to it.

As for those differences: sometimes, it's not all about the resolution of the graphics. When we went from last gen to this gen, it wasn't just fidelity/resolution either. It was also HDR, dynamic lighting and what have you. And now it's real-time ray tracing, something that will definitely add another level of detail altogether. (and of course easier means of maintaining a steady frame rate)

Couple that with faster hardware, SSD drives, making it possible to all but eradicate load times, and you can push more data faster, and also more detail, so I'm estimating that it actually WILL make a rather clear jump from the One X. Maybe not exactly the same as going from One S to One X, but definitely clearly noticeable. Let's make it 50 to 75 percent of the previous jump, for argument's sake...

Now, let's apply that to one of your favorite games, Forza Horizon 4. Run that on Scarlett and presto!, gone are the differences between graphics and performance mode, because Scarlett can combine the two with one hand tied behind its back, so there doesn't need to be any graphical sacrifice anymore, for people that would rather play the game in 60fps.

And now imagine Forza Horizon 5: with 4, I don't know if they'll be able to take advantage of the new rendering techniques. Probably not, or maybe after downloading a patch, which (taking into account One X patch sizes) will probably be humongous in comparison. But it might be a similar recipe: run a game in standard Xbox One mode, or download Scarlet patches/upgrades. Either way, it could add quite a bit of detail on top of what the games already have.

And for native Scarlett games, it'll of course be a given that, with all the previous and new techniques combined, it'll look quite good. As for investing in it: depends on how you roll or look at it. I never sell a console, so for me it'll never be a day one buy anyways, but there's plenty of people that do trade in their consoles, and for them, the only important thing is if they would truly be able to migrate their current Xbox One catalog and environment over to Scarlett, and if Microsoft manages to tick those boxes, then they may very well have a winner on their hands.

As for the whole operating system: again, I don't have any issues with it, so I've no idea why everyone is so against it. It's basically just Windows 8 tiles and apps. Not that this is my preferred layout, but I know how to use it, and I've never found it cumbersome or illogical or whatever other negative label people might want to attach to it.

@Grumblevolcano That's why I also mentioned other things, not just aesthetics. People will not like an OS, or even a console in its entirety, because of looks, how it works, how it feels to use it, and so on, but as mentioned to NES, I personally never experienced much trouble or annoyance with using it. But having said that, I do agree with your point, and I'm actually also expecting it to be the case with Scarlett, because I'm gonna assume that they've learned from their current platform, and as such, I expect there to be improvements on various levels.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia I'll take the Switch's cleaner design. I'm starting not to mind the lack of folders. The Software screen is pretty straightforward and loads fast and alphabetical order works just fine.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Anti-Matter

Honestly, Xbox Scarlett needs these things to compete with PS5 / Nintendo Switch:
1. More Cartoonish / Kiddie games in physical release and it would be better some of them are 1st party Microsoft games such as Super Lucky's Tale. This is possibly the reason why did Xbox machine sold poorly on Japan due to lack of Kawaii games.
2. Fully Backward Compatible with ALL previous Xbox machines by physical disc, not by licensed software. If Xbox Scarlett still Partial BC like Xbox One, get ready to oversold by PS5 if PS5 has BC with PS4 and older PS machines by physical disc.
3. Make the UI simple like PS4 / Switch UI. If the UI still looked complicated like Windows 10 or Xbox One, it will not attract more audiences.
4. Do not focus on Play It Anywhere or Ultra 4K 2160P too much because the most important is games library with a lot of diversity in genre. Too much realistic violence games will not attract casual gamers.
5. Change the color of game packaging from Lime Green box into Clear box like PS3.The green color of Xbox brand can be applied on the banner strip on the top of game cover, just like PS4 / PS3.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter No, they don't really "need" these things. Most of your points are from your personal point of view, but don't really have any tangible impact one way or the other.

Oh, and it has already been reported that PS5 will ONLY be backwards compatible with PS4 titles, while Scarlett will be compatible with Xbox One and ALL backwards compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles already available on Xbox One, so it's actually Sony that is far, FAR behind in that regard.

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Well, honestly...
Xbox machines are still my minor choices due to lack of Cute games or game genre diversity.
After i rewrote my shoping list, I can only get 4 DDR games from Xbox, 4 Dancing games again from Konami and a few Kinect games from Xbox 360, 2 Xbox One games (Disneyland Adventures and Zoo Tycoon). And i have allocated all multi console games to Sony / Nintendo rather on Xbox due to better line up on their machines than on Xbox machines. I'm the Oddball to get less attracted by Xbox games since even on both Sony / Nintendo machines i still looking for more cutesy games. I have more difficulty to find another cutesy games on Xbox machines to be honest. When i browsed from playasia to find out interesting games from Xbox only machines, i almost found nothing due to Xbox game's library were 90% similar with Sony machines but with lesser games made by Japanese developers.

Microsoft can win my heart if Xbox Scarlett can play DDR games from Xbox and Xbox 360 + Kinect games from Xbox 360 by physical disc. Otherwise, i will continue my hype on PS5 despite it cannot play PS3 since i have secure my next purchase on used PS3 Slim.

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Other than a few major first party examples I can't imagine them adding things like ray tracing and major graphics updates to games like happened even across third parties for the X. It would be cool if they did, but I don't see that same kind of push that was made because of the particular situation they found themselves in at the time. It would be cool, but I'm not banking on it. If I see it, I'll like it.

New games are of course a whole other thing.
Of course I don't expect to have HDR on my monitors for a good decade or more Nobody wants to make HDR on 23" or smaller monitors

Yeah, hating on the OS is popular, but I think it's mostly down to Win8 always sucked, and it looks like Win8 on the home screen. The home screen is a mess. And people have been trained by other consoles that the home screen is the interface when X1 has a very different method of navigation.

Plus X1's UI really was horrid in appearance and performance before about a year and a half ago when they started to majorly overhaul it and it went from "weird and unstable" to "very good."

@Ryu_Niiyama PS4 remains the worst UI of the 3 in my mind. Switch's setup was nice at first, but the more games I got, the more unwieldy it became to me. Alphabetical annoys me because I don't like having to dig through the list to find the thing I just played an hour ago, plus not all games list sequels/editions with the same starting letter (on XB, I'm thinking FFXIII, FFXIII-2, Lightning Returns - FFXIII.) I love being able to arrange a digital "bookshelf" the same way I'd arrange a physical bookshelf of games. It's a nice touch I really appreciate when I use my X1, but have to work around on the other two. If I can fault anything on Switch, it's not letting me do that. Granted, X1 only added that a year and a half ago, so there's still time for Switch.

@Anti-Matter XBox has plenty of cartoonish games. Neither XB nor Sony has many first party games in that category and they both have most of the same 3rd party games. It's about even there.

XB's fate in Japan has more to do with a lot of really big mistakes they made with the OG XBox, including Bill Gates getting up at TGS and basically turning a speech into a big XBox advertisement, off the script, and the sheer size of the original "The Duke" controller. Plus PS's control over a lot of publishers like Squeenix at the time. That fate was more business and perception than game related. It failed in Japan before it even even launched a game.

PS3 BC is very unlikely. The architecture on that machine was so unique, emulating it is just tremendously difficult. They'll likely continue handling that through streaming services.

But focus on power (and the color green) are defining aspects of XBox's brand. That won't change. That being said, XBox has a very diverse library. Everything except some of the older "very Japanese" games that were PS only (and companies like Falcom that are just Sony focused.) Remember, XBox has a lot of the old Sega legacy library as well (the Sonic games, Crazy Taxi, Toejam, etc.)

But you are correct, the libraries of PS/XB are mostly similar, but PS has (at least for now) much more support from smaller Japanese studios since XB isn't popular there. The good stuff goes to Switch anyway, though

NEStalgia

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX Also as I love my PS I can't deny that the quality of the Xbox One is just better. Especially in the Pro vs X debate.

Microsoft put so much effort in the quality of the hardware in terms of cooling and power.

We will see if they follow that with Scarlet. I just hope they do something about that "you need internet to setup your console for the first time"

Grumblevolcano

@ThanosReXXX Unless I've missed something there hasn't been an announcement deconfirming pre-PS4 games on PS5, just that PS4 is the only console confirmed for backwards compatibility so far.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic