Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 8,301 to 8,320 of 11,914

redd214

@Grumblevolcano you are correct. There hasn't been official concrete details about the extent of BC beyond them saying ps4 games. They have not said one way or the other officially if older ps games will work or not.

redd214

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
"XBox has a lot of the old Sega legacy library as well (the Sonic games, Crazy Taxi, Toejam, etc.)"

That's the problem.
I didn't even have any interest by SEGA games like that on Xbox machines.
And that's why i only consider DDR Ultramix games on OG Xbox, DDR Universe games + Dance Evolution on Xbox 360 because only those Konami Rhythm games that caught my attention by the most. I have interest with a few Kinect games so they are my little supporters for my Xbox 360 games list.

About Xbox games have more cartoonish games, that's because most of them are digital download only while i'm looking for physical release only.

Glad i have secured my purchased on used PS3 Slim i have found at my local game shop so whatever happened to PS5 , despite with lack of PS3 BC i still able to play PS3 games directly from PS3 Slim. If PS5 have some interesting games like on PS4, I will see interesting numbers from PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 & PS5 displayed tidily on my shelf. Oh, i forgot my PSP. 😅

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Well, honestly.... that's just your, as usual, highly restricted and very short-sighted opinion.

You need to understand that Microsoft doesn't need to "win your heart" at all, because plenty of other people actually will like what they do and offer just fine, so if a single person doesn't like it, they won't care at all.

@NEStalgia That's why I said they MIGHT add stuff to existing Xbox One games, much like how they added Xbox One X patches to One S games, so I'm not saying it WILL happen, I'm saying that it COULD.

I don't know how many titles right now are Xbox One X-enhanced, but if I remember correctly, it's quite a few already, and definitely not all big titles. Heck, they even enhanced OG Xbox titles on the One X, so there's that.

On a side note: I don't think them being behind in the race was an actual incentive for them to start adding texture pack upgrades for games at all. That sounds completely illogical to me, from several points of view. Far as I can tell, that simply made sense to serve its purpose to explain/justify the One X over the S, instead of it being a unique selling point to win over the people that might be more inclined to buy a PS4 instead...

Still don't know what the supposed "mess" on the home screen is. It's simple rows of tiles, big ones at that, so in my opinion, there's no unnecessary clutter or confusing amounts of info on the home screen at all, so to me it's honestly quite simple. I personally think that even someone of the age of 10, or even lower, would easily be able to navigate it. None of my friends that have an Xbox One has ever complained about it either, which adds even more question marks to the ones that I already have, in regard to what I see being mentioned about it online.

@Zuljaras Yeah... that was one of the weird "that shouldn't have to be necessary" with which they screwed up, but I'm pretty sure that we'll have none of those shenanigans on Scarlett.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Grumblevolcano True, there has been no indefinite statement yet, but it would seem odd not to, seeing as how their direct competitor is so big on it, so it would make their fans really happy, and why not mention it?
But looking at how their architecture/platform is going about it now, I'm not really expecting them to do a full 180 on it with the new generation.

@redd214 I actually based my comment upon several things said (and linked to) in that article that you posted earlier, about the naming of Scarlett.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

redd214

ThanosReXXX wrote:

I'm not really expecting them to do a full 180 on it with the new generation.

Companies do 180s all the time, remember that Mattrick guy lol

redd214

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter I think more to the point you're interested in "Old Sony." Sony's older systems had more content like that in physical form, but, they're pretty on par with XBox in their modernized form, IMO. Personally I think I have more "cartoonish" games on XBox than I do on Playstation right now. Knack and LBP and a few Japanese games are really the only ones on PS. But, yeah, most of that isn't physical in either case.

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, it'd be cool if a lot of games got improvement patches and it felt like a "free upgrade" for things. I don't think it'll play out that way but I'd love that if it happened. The first time it was the whole mid-gen bump, 4k, PC parity issue.

The Cell processor still remains the nemesis of all emulation. They really wet the bed with the PS3's architecture.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
"usual, highly restricted and very short-sighted opinion"

Well, because i am not a Western people, so i have different interest when talking about games.
I was very hard to be pleased by Western games since what games you think should be fine for you and everybody but the games were not for me due to different perception between Asian peoples and Western peoples.

Let's say some Japanese games on OG XBOX by SEGA. Maybe the games are for you but they are not for me because i don't like by almost everything from those games (Sonic games are cute but they are boring in my eyes due to running in high speed and it is not the thing i like as a gamer by contrary for most male gamers prefer high speed driving games, Crazy Taxi maybe sound quirky and oddball but unfortunately it didn't work for me)

And to called me very shorted opinion, how am i supposed to do ?
Do i have to like every single games even i hate them ?
Do i have to like the games you played so i will not be called short sight minded ?
One game can be split into two different opinion.
Maybe the games are for you because you felt okay with the contents inside but it wasn't for me because i have different perception with those games as Asian people. When i showed disinterest with certain games due to not click on my favor, someone called my very high restricted and very short sighted. Why do i have been called like that ? Favorite things cannot be forced. Do i have to like SEGA games so peoples will not call me a weirdo with very short sight minded even i don't have any interest with them at all ?
How am i supposed to do right in your eyes ?
I always felt alienated by my choices.

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@ThanosReXXX Given Sony still has the competitive mindset, after the full Scarlett reveal would be a more sensible time for Sony to announce full backwards compatibility with all past Sony consoles for PS5 if it existed. PS4's success was very reliant on the "look at this bad thing XB1 does which PS4 doesn't" message so PS5's message will probably be about stuff like how PS5 has exclusives meanwhile Xbox Scarlett doesn't.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 True, but since Phil has been on board, they've gained a lot of realism and spouted less BS and marketing blabla than ever before, so I think that erratic behavior like that is a thing of the past. Never say never, of course, but coming from Phil Spencer, it would be REALLY weird...

@NEStalgia Why wouldn't they do it? In fact, much like how in this generation, these upgrade packs might persuade One S owners to upgrade to a One X, it might also persuade current gen owners to upgrade to a Scarlett, especially if they lose nothing in the process, and only gain more. It's win-win, because users get an even better experience, and Microsoft gets to sell their new console.

@Anti-Matter Your choices are yours, and each of us has a right to their own opinion, so you don't have to do anything to change that, in order to do right by people. That would be ridiculous.

BUT.... having said that, it has nothing to do with you not being "a Western people", it specifically has to do with you being you. As a person, you're quite the anomaly, and you're DEFINITELY not representative for an entire nation or part of the world. You NEED to understand this. You're SO against Western games, adult games, and even kid-friendly, cartoony games that aren't EXACTLY made according to your strict and almost otherworldly views, so you need to realize that this is really just about your strict personal preferences, and not about how Asian people in general view Xbox.

Yes, it's less popular over there, but the majority of the people will not have the same strict, short-sighted and sometimes even plain radical views that you have about games. I know plenty of Asian people, and they all love to play those violent games that you always hate so much.

@Grumblevolcano They would be wise to do that, yes. I'm not really expecting it, however. Or maybe they're only going to offer it as a streaming service, like Stadia, so PS4 physical back compatibility, and the rest only through online. And if they do go that road, then it'll once again be a lesser service than Microsoft's, because in that regard, what with both Xbox Live, backwards compatibility AND GamePass, Microsoft is still leagues ahead of Sony.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I think first party titles like Forza and Halo might get such treatment. But first party XBox accounts for like 10 games out of, like, 200 for me. I don't see Ubisoft and Squeenix running through the back catalog and doing 8 months of tuning work every time a console is released, though they did so with the X/Pro.

Regarding Sony - Sony's strategy, from day 1, has always been to "go last, and undercut." They always make sure they have the last word, watch what competitors say, then just undercut them on price, undo a controversial choice a competitor made, etc. That's been their leading strategy for decades. The only time they came out with a colossal fail of a launch is the only time they failed to do that. "$699!"

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Hm...
Anomaly word might the best to describe about me. 😅
I admit i have very unusual and oddball preferences, not even by standard Asian peoples like i was coming from another planet. Some Asian peoples still hyped on Midnite Tunes Arcade games while i have no interest at all. Most Asian peoples are hyped to soccer but i completely dislike soccer.

Anyway, even i have very small number of XBOX games i can consider, i have already content with my choices since the games i chose from XBOX machines has passed my criterias and also already fit in my heart. If Xbox Scarlett cannot play DDR and Xbox 360 Kinect games, well... I have to consider OG XBOX and Xbox 360 machine to play them and it will be so challenging since I still concerned about Used XBOX 360 machines on Ebay that have risk of RROD than the Xbox 360 Slim. Actually i prefer the Jasper model with White color but i'm not sure if Jasper model is still safe if i have to buy from Ebay.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, seeing as I don't have an X, as you know, I also don't know how many games exactly there are, that offer expansions for the X over their base One S version, but still. Anyways, we're doing laps now, so let's just say that we'll wait and see what happens.

As for Sony: then how come their online service still isn't on par with Microsoft's? And just imagine how much work it would entail if, practically out of nowhere, they'd all of a sudden had to offer a wide range of backwards compatibility not just with PS4 titles, but also with PS3 and older. That's a really tall order for any company. I'd say it's of almost titanic proportions, and probably not a priority in Sony's book. It isn't even in Microsoft's book, it's just that they had a far easier job of it, because they've already been doing it for so long, so they've got the foundations down, and very firmly so...

And they may not be about launch failures, but they're most definitely about "during life cycle" failures. Expensive, proprietary add-ons, credit card disasters, removing features from consoles, being last in class with cross-play, etc. etc...

Banjo-

@NEStalgia That's true, @Anti-Matter, Xbox One has a lot of cartoon and "friendly" games. I could name, off the top of my head, Super Lucky's Tale, Crash Bandicoot N.sane Trilogy, Crash Team Racing, Team Sonic Racing, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, many Rare games including Viva Piñata, which should be one of the games of the century, and basically every third-party and indie game. Even Japanese games are coming to Xbox One now for the first time but yes, not every game is available and if you care about them you'll have to find them elsewhere (PS4, Switch or PC) and nope, you won't find all those old DDR games on newer hardware because of what we always explain to you.

Like NEStalgia, I have many more cartoon games on Xbox One than any other console although perhaps Wii U would win with the backwards compatibility and the Wii games. On Switch I have a few exclusives like Super Mario Odyssey which I consider dull compared to Super Mario 64 or Sunshine and on PS4 the odd exclusive like Ratchet & Clank. I don't really like the weird Japanese stuff (weird for me anyway) except for some anime cartoon that are part of my childhood so I'm good.

@NEStalgia Can you tell me how to order games alphabetically on Switch and how to order games manually on Xbox One? I tried but can't find how to do those two things.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX PS1/PS2 emulation isn't an issue for them. PS4 already does that, except their business policy is garbage and they've decided to restrict it only to PS Now. But PS3.... Eek. The only way it would happen is raw emulation, not MS-style of working with publishers to actually patch the games for different hardware. And that would be pretty crazy power to emulate that kind of architecture. I agree, it's not a priority in Sony's book. They know their fans will just re-buy it all.

MS did have the luxury after near-ruin of having the funding to just play the very long game and build that foundation out.

Ugh...Sony peripherals.....they even abandoned the charging cable connector for Vita with the revision. I have a whole box full of worthless Sony peripherals to prior editions of systems that aren't useful anymore (or older systems like Gen 1 vita with the old connector that nobody sells...)

@BlueOcean Haha, my memory is pretty fuzzy on the details since I set XB up last summer, and I don't use the filtering much on Switch, but I'll give it a shot!

On Switch if you go to the last icon on the row (the full game library or whatever they call it) there should be a tab at the top to set the sorting order. IIRC It doesn't work for the row on the home screen, though, just for the full library.

For X1, you create folders ("groups") and put your games into them in the order you want from the main "My Games & Apps" panel, either in the groups tab, or "right clicking" (a.k.a. the Menu button) the games individually and doing "add to group." You can then "right click" (a.k.a. menu button) the group header in the group tab in My Games & Apps and select "Pin to guide menu" (or something like that.) and the group will appear in the Guide menu under your games tab.

That's probably a terrible set of instructions, but it's at least a starter for you to figure out all my terrible mislabeled terminology

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, there you go: PS1 streaming only. That's not the proper way of offering backwards compatibility. And if their garbage version of a Mini console was anything to go by, I wouldn't really be impressed with the emulation either.

Far as the peripherals are concerned, you'd almost think they looked towards Apple for a template...

P.S.

You are right about alphabetically ordering games on the Switch.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

...but it's at least a starter for you to figure out all my terrible mislabeled terminology

Ha! Finally, I know it's not me...

redd214

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Forza Horizon 4 is getting a free battle royale mode.

HELLLLL YES!!! I've been saying since the battle Royale craze started that I couldn't wait until it somehow bled over to the racing genre. Will definitely be checking it out tomorrow. Playing FH4 on my phone/tablet has been awesome, can't wait to try that out, though it's going to be tough to pull me away from NFS Heat at the moment!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Oh yes, I already have that on Xbox One, I created just one group for the games and apps that I play the most and they are called pins but I haven't created more groups although I know it is possible. For the rest of the games I just browse the full library and it's a nice thing to do with the smallest size selected for icons.

On Switch I am checking at the moment, the only library I see is the one on the home screen which looks like the PS4 home screen library, with big icons for games sorted by last played. I don't see anything else or that tab that you mentioned.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean On X1 I keep categories by genre and organize them by my own personalized criteria (favorites first, etc.) The guide menu keeps them nice and sorted and I never have to go to the main list except when I get a new game

On Switch, there's definitely a sort option on there somewhere. They added it sometime in the past year. The only options are alphabetical, or recently played, I think.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic